skooling vs. shredding and stretching vs. shredding

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Pattycakes
Hack Fiend

skooling vs. shredding and stretching vs. shredding

Post by Pattycakes » 20 Jul 2010 14:31

Im pretty understanding that in order to learn a trick, practice makes perfect. the thing is that im getting back into footbag and although i can still do 40 contact tiltless strings i was wondering wheather anyone thinks at this point in re starting my footbag career i should skool my all my fundamentals or stick with stringing them together as practice?
Also i feel alot of tightness in my hips and groin, should i do any special stretches for flexibility or simply stretch normally and shred to get my joints back used to the motions of footbag? Thanks in advance!

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 20 Jul 2010 14:47

I get tightness in my hips and groin a lot, and I do two stretches every session to help get rid of it. I thought I had tendinitis in my groin at one point, but stretching basically solved it.

So yes, stretching is very important!@!!!#!!!!

I'll try to explain each stretch, but if you don't get it I can make a video no problem.

For your groin:

Sit down, put the soles of your feet together (sort of like sitting indian style). Get your feet as close to your crotch as possible, then lean forward while pushing down on your knees. Try to keep your knees close to the ground. You should feel some amount of pull on your groin. Do it for like 10-20 seconds.

For your hips:

Standing up, pick one of your legs up and bend that knee. Hug that leg to your chest, pulling it across your body. You should feel a pull in your hip. Do that on both sides for another 10-20 seconds.

There is a sitting version as well - extend one leg fully, and cross your other leg over it. Pull the leg that is crossed over toward your chest, hugging it again. Keep the other leg flat. Do that both sides for 10-20 seconds.

If something doesn't make sense I can make a video and post it for you.

You should definitely do normal stretches for your calves, thighs, back, abs, etc. as well. It definitely decreases the amount of soreness you will feel the next day, and loosens you up for the current session.

As for practicing hacky sack, you really need to find your own balance. Personally, I make a list of things that I do every session before I start doing 'fun' stuff. Basically, never stop doing your 40 tiltless contacts, and never stop trying new things.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Pattycakes
Hack Fiend

Post by Pattycakes » 21 Jul 2010 09:40

awesome feedback, i get all the stretches so you dont have to make a video haha thanks so much man...i will definitely keep trying new tricks and keep playing on :D
Pat McGurran

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 21 Jul 2010 12:58

Awesome, glad to help. I hope it works for you.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*