Hello Ladies and Gentlmen

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Equallymove
Circle Kicker

Hello Ladies and Gentlmen

Post by Equallymove » 11 Feb 2012 17:35

Hello I am John and i like to footbag and listen to rise against. I cannot rap. I might go to the US Open and im really looking forward to meating you guys ill be with my friend toothpasting who is a really kool chap (hes new to the forum his name is Aaron!) I love running and i cant stand people who claim lmfao is even a band. i currently wear vans (although me and Aaron might get lavers he wears nucleasus now) insides for the vans are difficult but the toe area is amazing i got my highest with mainly toes at 28 so i guess ill talk to you guys in the comments!#@ and im a really good outside kicker best (and only) trick im good at is the dragon
and if any1 has tips on inside thatd be great!
I use dragonfly footbags and im looking for better
i also have all my stalls down and i cant do clippers looking for advise

Thanks
-John

Now that you are ready for your second lesson, let us look back and see what were the most important things you learned from your first lesson.

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Post by Toothpasting » 11 Feb 2012 18:52

John is a friend of mine, we Footbag frequently. He really needs advice on his clippers, and he's going to be coming with me if possible to this year's US Open that Nick Landes said he might host. Him and I are looking for some good stichers, so if you have any reccomendations, please give them. Alright, I'm done.

-Aaron
My name is Aaron Follis. I try to be friendly, and I absolutely try my best for perfect grammar.

"We fought your wars with all our hearts,
You've sent us back in body parts.
You took our wills with the truth you stole,
We offer prayers for your long lost soul."
-Serj Tankian

I am a huge fan of Serj Tankian/System Of A Down.

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 11 Feb 2012 19:27

hey guys.

Nice to see you on modified! Welcome :)!

To answer some of your questions :

1-For the help about the inside stall/clipper stall :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-23Cdt5n40
This is from the «Anz tricks» serie that Anssi Sundberg did. If you type it on youtube you'll find many other videos about different moves.

2-If you want to have a good idea of MANY moves that exist in footbag :
http://www.fourkast.com/content/the-des ... g-elements
Many moves among those listed in the previous have videos to show them. But these are not tutorials.

3-For the stitchers, there are MANY. You can take a look at this topic :
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... start=8620
You'll find review of many bags, pictures and everything.
You can also look in the «for sale» section of the forum you'll find the topic of few stitchers.
I personlly use Haniabags ( http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... 12&start=0 ), but it's mostly a matter of opinion. There are many different good stitchers you can buy footbag from. Most of them can do bag the way you want them... Bigger, smaller, heavier, lighter...

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Have a nice day, hope to see you at a tournement sooner then later!

Mat

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Post by Toothpasting » 11 Feb 2012 20:24

MathieuGM wrote:hey guys.

This is from the «Anz tricks» serie that Anssi Sundberg did. If you type it on youtube you'll find many other videos about different moves.
Hey Mat, thanks a bunch for posting this here. This is really what John needed, I've never seen this ep. of Anz Tricks because I usually look at his harder ones, such as the Osis. I appreciate your help, man. Also, I've read a lot of your Footblog, and I want to complement you. Nicely done and I like how active you are. :)

Also, have you ever used Nucleus shoes or do you only use lavers? If you've used Nucleus, mind comparing them to lavers for me? I'm gonna get some lavers soon. Thanks, my friend. You going to the US Open this year?

-Aaron
My name is Aaron Follis. I try to be friendly, and I absolutely try my best for perfect grammar.

-Serj Tankian

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 11 Feb 2012 21:29

I'm glad what my post helped you and your friend in any way haha!

Thx for the compliment about my blog ^^. It's always nice to know ppl read it haha!

Ok for the nucleus, i'll be super honnest. Most of the footbag players say that these are the worst shoes on the market for footbag (i mean between lavers, g-unit, quantum (wich are discontinued) and nucleus. There are 2 MAJOR problem with the nucleus. 1- The sole is really thin and if you play on concret, you'll just destroy the sole really quickly. For me, that sole is so thin and stiff that it hurter my back. Also, the clipper area isn't so good. The way the sole is done make it hard for clipper stalls. That said, for starting, it's all good. I mean nucleus are obviously better then most of the «everyday» shoes in the world. So it's totally fine you have them to start and they should even help you, if we say that you would normally be shredding in random shoes.
For the rest of the shoes, they are all good... They all have upside and downside. The G-Unit is overall rated has the easiest shoes to play with, especially because of the clipper area that is really good. Buyt now, that shoes is discontinued and it's getting hard to find new pair. The Quantum are also pretty cool... I like the clipper area, i have some trouble with the toe of quantum, but many of the best players in the world play/use to play in quantum... Ok for Lavers now. I like all the surface. In my own opinion, the clipper area isn't has easy to use has the one of the g-unit or the quantum at first. But it will force you to really work on your stalling motion... Wich will pay off in a long run. On an other hand, the sole of the Lavers isn't that good. It's slippery, and it's kinda hard. This is why it's important to buy a proper insole... So the impact won't be too huge on your body.

So, Lavers a definitly better then Nucleus.

Finally so far i'm not planning to go to USO. World is my priority... If i can't make it to worlds, then USO might be an option.

Any other questions ;)?

Mat

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Post by Toothpasting » 11 Feb 2012 21:59

MathieuGM wrote:I'm glad what my post helped you and your friend in any way haha!

Thx for the compliment about my blog ^^. It's always nice to know ppl read it haha!

Ok for the nucleus, i'll be super honnest. Most of the footbag players say that these are the worst shoes on the market for footbag (i mean between lavers, g-unit, quantum (wich are discontinued) and nucleus. There are 2 MAJOR problem with the nucleus. 1- The sole is really thin and if you play on concret, you'll just destroy the sole really quickly. For me, that sole is so thin and stiff that it hurter my back. Also, the clipper area isn't so good. The way the sole is done make it hard for clipper stalls. That said, for starting, it's all good. I mean nucleus are obviously better then most of the «everyday» shoes in the world. So it's totally fine you have them to start and they should even help you, if we say that you would normally be shredding in random shoes.
For the rest of the shoes, they are all good... They all have upside and downside. The G-Unit is overall rated has the easiest shoes to play with, especially because of the clipper area that is really good. Buyt now, that shoes is discontinued and it's getting hard to find new pair. The Quantum are also pretty cool... I like the clipper area, i have some trouble with the toe of quantum, but many of the best players in the world play/use to play in quantum... Ok for Lavers now. I like all the surface. In my own opinion, the clipper area isn't has easy to use has the one of the g-unit or the quantum at first. But it will force you to really work on your stalling motion... Wich will pay off in a long run. On an other hand, the sole of the Lavers isn't that good. It's slippery, and it's kinda hard. This is why it's important to buy a proper insole... So the impact won't be too huge on your body.

So, Lavers a definitly better then Nucleus.

Finally so far i'm not planning to go to USO. World is my priority... If i can't make it to worlds, then USO might be an option.

Any other questions ;)?

Mat
Thanks man, I appreciate your feedback. I'll reply with what I think about the nucleus. Keep in mind, I'm not being defensive or anything, just telling you what I like/dislike about them. I hope to get lavers soon so I can compare.

The sole is thin on the nucleus, you're right about that, but they really went into good thought with the soles, very versatile. My soles are slightly being damaged. The insoles are bad, though, gotta get some new ones. I heard Spenco insoles are good, which ones should I get? I disagree with those that say they're the worst shoes, I think they're great, because they force you to have amazing inside/clipper form and my insides are amazing because of them. Still working on my clippers though, because you're right, they're hard in Nucleus. Also, the inside area is very distinct and shows where to hit correctly, and it's made out of pure mesh along with the toe area. On the other hand, it's a mainly canvas shoe, not that durable. The best part about this shoe is that it is incredibly light. It's so light that I can do my around the worlds (which I need major help on, if you have any advice, please, along with my mirages.) about 3x faster in comparison to some vans I have. I'm hoping the lavers are this light.

I have no interest in the G-Units for some reason. The discontinuity makes me feel like there's no good pairs left, plus I heard that clippers are so easy in it that it lets you get away with bad clipper form, which will damage your game in other shoes. Also, for the rod laver mods, are they difficult? Which ones do you currently have applied??

Furthermore, I saw that www.planetfootbag.com still sells quantum's even though they aren't produced anymore. Is that correct? (I had to view the webste in a foreign language to me, the international version is down due to hacking attempts.

Also, Honza Weber, who I believe iscurrent Footbag World Champion, uses the Nucleus shoes. ;D

Thanks for discussing Footbag with me. XD

-Serj Tankian

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 12 Feb 2012 10:50

So :

1-For the nucleus helping you to have a good clipper form, i kinda disagree. I mean obviously your motion will have to be good to stall the bag with that shoes. But the way they made the shoes, you have to stall the bag at the wrong spot to stall it... Noramlly, you should stall the bag 50/50 on the sole (the sole of the laver is MUCH larger then the one of the nucleus) and the canvas. I'll edit a picture later to show you the appropriate spot. But, as i said before, having nuycleux to learn is deffinitly much better then havins vans or wahtever shoes.
For the sole of the nucleus, when your shred will get more hardcore, you'll see that the sole will rip off within few weeks. The lavers sole isn't crazy durable either, but better then nucleus (not as good as G-Unit...)

2-For quantum their are still few pairs left. I think freedomfootbag still have some size, maybe planetfootbag too. But i'm not the good person to ask because i don't play in them .Even if i have a pair of quantum an a pair of nucleus too... and i also tried g unit few times). I played for about 4 onths in quantum and about... 1 week in nucleus. So someone else might be able to give you a better answer about either there are still some avaiable for sell.

3-Honza plays in nucleus only for some video as far as i know, and i know Quency (the girl who produce that shoes) give him some money/sponsorship for that... This year at worlds, and in every single comp i saw him perform, he was using Lavers :). That said, i have a huge respect for Quency for all the effort she put to improve the sports and everything else. It's only i'm not a fan of the shoes, like most of the footbagers :S.

Hope all this help!

For the mirage and the orbit (around the world...)... Just add me on facebook and i'll help you live instead of posting in there.

Mat

3-

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Post by Toothpasting » 12 Feb 2012 11:07

MathieuGM wrote:So :

1-For the nucleus helping you to have a good clipper form, i kinda disagree. I mean obviously your motion will have to be good to stall the bag with that shoes. But the way they made the shoes, you have to stall the bag at the wrong spot to stall it... Noramlly, you should stall the bag 50/50 on the sole (the sole of the laver is MUCH larger then the one of the nucleus) and the canvas. I'll edit a picture later to show you the appropriate spot. But, as i said before, having nuycleux to learn is deffinitly much better then havins vans or wahtever shoes.
For the sole of the nucleus, when your shred will get more hardcore, you'll see that the sole will rip off within few weeks. The lavers sole isn't crazy durable either, but better then nucleus (not as good as G-Unit...)

2-For quantum their are still few pairs left. I think freedomfootbag still have some size, maybe planetfootbag too. But i'm not the good person to ask because i don't play in them .Even if i have a pair of quantum an a pair of nucleus too... and i also tried g unit few times). I played for about 4 onths in quantum and about... 1 week in nucleus. So someone else might be able to give you a better answer about either there are still some avaiable for sell.

3-Honza plays in nucleus only for some video as far as i know, and i know Quency (the girl who produce that shoes) give him some money/sponsorship for that... This year at worlds, and in every single comp i saw him perform, he was using Lavers :). That said, i have a huge respect for Quency for all the effort she put to improve the sports and everything else. It's only i'm not a fan of the shoes, like most of the footbagers :S.

Hope all this help!

For the mirage and the orbit (around the world...)... Just add me on facebook and i'll help you live instead of posting in there.

Mat

3-
Thanks for your input on the Nucleus, I'd love to see the appropriate spot to clipper, it's really hard for me, probably because of the Nucleus. I'm looking into buying the New Black/Black/White version of the mesh lavers soon, hopefully that will help my game a lot. I have one question, I've heard that the Lavers are harder than bricks when you first get them, so they need some breaking in. I don't mind that, but are they lightweight like the Nucleus? If they're heavy and slow me down, even though I'm pretty quick, I'll have to train a lot more to become quicker.

Also, I didn't know that was a one-time sponsorship, I'd thought that he was officially sponsored by Nucleus. Thanks for the information, man I appreciate it.

Which mods do you have applied for your laver? There's a bunch, I'm thinking about keeping it simple, because I'm gonna use them for everyday shoes as well as shred shoes. So maybe toebox mod and the lacing mod. Also, sure, I'll add you on Facebook for the info on the ATW and Mirage. What's the difference between Orbit and ATW though?

Thanks,

-Aaron

edit: It won't let me add you on Facebook. Do you have any clue why? 0.0

-Serj Tankian

Equallymove
Circle Kicker

Post by Equallymove » 12 Feb 2012 13:21

MathieuGM wrote:hey guys.

2-If you want to have a good idea of MANY moves that exist in footbag :
Many moves among those listed in the previous have videos to show them. But these are not tutorials.

3-For the stitchers, there are MANY. You can take a look at this topic :
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... start=8620
You'll find review of many bags, pictures and everything.
You can also look in the «for sale» section of the forum you'll find the topic of few stitchers.
I personlly use Haniabags ( http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... 12&start=0 ), but it's mostly a matter of opinion. There are many different good stitchers you can buy footbag from. Most of them can do bag the way you want them... Bigger, smaller, heavier, lighter...

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Have a nice day, hope to see you at a tournement sooner then later!

Mat

Thanks for the feedback just learned how to reply to things lol but anyways thanks for the tips on clippers im still having trouble keeping my foot straight and my left knee its hard to bend but ill keep practicing :)
-John

Now that you are ready for your second lesson, let us look back and see what were the most important things you learned from your first lesson.

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 12 Feb 2012 17:41

Lavers are slighty heavier then Nucleus, but they are still very light... I guess no one would use these shoes if they were super heavy ;).

For the sponsorship i don't know the details. I don't think it's a one shot sponsorship. All i said is that their is a reason why nobody use nucleus in comp :).

For the mod, it's a matter of how you like them... so people play without any mods (Damian Gielnicky). But their are very few... For the mod most of the people do the toe box mod and take out the inside canevas of the shoes on toe and on inside. So you can feel the bag better and make the shoe a bit lighter (you probably won'T notice the difference...).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwaq3KfD8oE
That's an exemple of how to mod the shoe. Matt cross take away the outside canevas. It's not the same feeling, and not quite as popular as the mod i talked about before. But it's MUCH easier to do. If you want a video for the mod on taking away the inner canevas, i can make one.

Yes lavers are a bit stiff when you get them. But really, it wont make a HUGE difference at your level. For pro, that need to be really extremly precise and that are super use to a shoes, they feel it. For a beginner, it's definitly not a huge deal, especially if you walk in them for few days :). don'T worry about it.

About around the worlds, we decided to change the name of it last year because there was 2 aroung the world... In and out and out to in... So Ianek in the descriptive system decided that «Around the world» would be the reference for the around the world in-out. and «orbit» would be for around the world out-in. So we still use the term around the world, but not for both direction anymore. Some people still use the term around the world for both direction... But i suggest you to learn the new way to call the move. That said, once again, it's a matter of opinion and some people stick to the old terms.
Here is the descriptive systme to know how to call the moves :
Here is a list of the major chanegd Ianek (and some people that help him) did :
http://www.fourkast.com/content/explana ... ive-system

Hope this help!!

Mat

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Post by Toothpasting » 12 Feb 2012 19:39

Thank you for all of the information, man.
I want to do the toe box mod, definitely.
Also, if you're actually able to do a video on the inside canvas, I'd like to do that to. But if it's too much work, don't do it, I don't want to be a burden. Also, thanks for clarifying about the Around The World and the Orbit. I'll tell my friends about that. I appreciate the technical language information, and I'll study it vigorously. I already understand the majority of the descriptive system, so it shouldn't be too hard for me. This helped a bunch, and again, I'd love for you to make a video.

P.S. Why won't it let me add you on Facebook? Doesn't give me an option to.

-Serj Tankian

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 12 Feb 2012 19:45

Oh for facebook i guess it's because i'm teaching... And i decided that student couldn't add me and whatever^^ I'll find you haha!

Mat

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 12 Feb 2012 22:59

For stitchers, Nathan Pipenberg makes a great bag.

His bags are definitely some of my favorites I've ever kicked with.

Welcome to the scene!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 13 Feb 2012 07:37

Great info all around from Mathieu. The only place I differ slightly from him, is that I actually love the toe box on the quantums. Some of the hardest tricks I've ever hit have been in quantums, and I can't hit them in G-Units. But yeah, pretty much everything Mat said I agree with 100%.

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Post by Toothpasting » 13 Feb 2012 15:03

C-Fan wrote:Great info all around from Mathieu. The only place I differ slightly from him, is that I actually love the toe box on the quantums. Some of the hardest tricks I've ever hit have been in quantums, and I can't hit them in G-Units. But yeah, pretty much everything Mat said I agree with 100%.
Good to know that all of the information i receive is general, agreed on by many. Verifies accuracy. :)

P.S. You're going to the US Open, right?^ John and I are trying to save up money to go. Maybe I'll meet you there. :)

-Serj Tankian

Equallymove
Circle Kicker

Post by Equallymove » 13 Feb 2012 15:19

thanks for all the help you guys i just wanted to keep you guys posted i got my clippers down and im still looking for black and green rod lavers :D
-John

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Post by Toothpasting » 13 Feb 2012 18:07

Equallymove wrote:thanks for all the help you guys i just wanted to keep you guys posted i got my clippers down and im still looking for black and green rod lavers :D
You got your clippers? Very nice! Try doing your dragons from clippers now. See if you can nail that. You'll have to help me with clipper when I get my lavers. ;D

-Serj Tankian

Equallymove
Circle Kicker

Post by Equallymove » 13 Feb 2012 19:24

Toothpasting wrote:
Equallymove wrote:thanks for all the help you guys i just wanted to keep you guys posted i got my clippers down and im still looking for black and green rod lavers :D
You got your clippers? Very nice! Try doing your dragons from clippers now. See if you can nail that. You'll have to help me with clipper when I get my lavers. ;D
i emailed them and they said those are special colors and they canr aquire those colors easliy anymore but they are hopeing for them again i cant spell to many mistypes
-John

Toothpasting
Hack Fiend

Post by Toothpasting » 13 Feb 2012 19:54

Equallymove wrote: i emailed them and they said those are special colors and they canr aquire those colors easliy anymore but they are hopeing for them again i cant spell to many mistypes
Hopefully they'll get them soon. If they don't, what's your backup plan? Alejandro wants the White/White/Black. Will you settle for the Iron/Red?

-Serj Tankian

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 14 Feb 2012 12:42

Toothpasting wrote:P.S. You're going to the US Open, right?^ John and I are trying to save up money to go. Maybe I'll meet you there. :)
That's the plan. Hopefully dates will be announced soon, and I can get that time off from work. Hope we can call make it, and if we do we'll definitely shred.