Perfect Practice?

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
dotmpeg
Circle Kicker

Perfect Practice?

Post by dotmpeg » 06 Apr 2012 16:02

I began footbag almost two weeks ago and my goal is to become a top player in time. Coming form Freestyle Football, where I had reached an advanced level after only three months (and by that I mean I became consistent at maybe the 2nd hardest trick), I know things might not be that easy. I currently train for two 1hour sessions each day - in the summer, however, I plan to train for three 2hour sessions, 5 days a week (36 hours a week, more if I train weekends or a few more hours a day).

Right now my 1hour sessions go like this:
>15 min. kicking warm-up
>toe stall exercises for 10 min.
>atw training, both legs in-out, for 20 min.
>pickup/switch training for 10 min.
>5 min. kicking cool-down
>both side ankle stretches whenever I consume water

So is this a good way to improve for right now?

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 07 Apr 2012 11:09

sounds pretty good, although once you start playing that much in summer it will be pretty hard on your body. make sure to eat right, drink lots of water, and stretch.
for these one hour sessions work on inside kicks and inside stalls a lot also, you don't want to have a toe only game.
footbag is a LOT more about consistency with basics, rather than hitting one or two big tricks consistently.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

dotmpeg
Circle Kicker

Post by dotmpeg » 07 Apr 2012 11:31

I've heard that Vasek Klouda trains 8 hours a day. Is that why his right leg is huge?

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 09 Apr 2012 15:31

he used to train a ton, not sure how much anymore... maybe a lot of soccer freestyle training. both his legs are beastly cause he is both sided :)
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

dotmpeg
Circle Kicker

Post by dotmpeg » 09 Apr 2012 17:45

I do not think football freestyle builds as much mass in the legs, because there are different areas (uppers). I used to be able to do 3 rev. (dex) tricks two years ago, and I have small legs. Pawel Skora, however, has tree trunk thighs.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 10 Apr 2012 07:35

I think your training sounds good. I would also recommend you find people who play near you, and play with them. Playing with people better than you can help you get better quickly, since they can help you learn new concepts, develop good habits, and keep things fun. Check out the club listings on footbag.org to find players near you, and post your location in your modified profile so people near you can find you as well.

I also highly recommend going to a tournament. it's never too early to go to a tournament, and it's great to see the level of both the pros and the beginners, as a benchmark for where you are and where you want to be.

Good luck!