Lacking Enthusiasm

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
Wakey
Circle Kicker

Lacking Enthusiasm

Post by Wakey » 06 Jul 2012 13:16

Hi folks,

I bit of background, I started learning in my late thirties and now 5
years later I'm calling myself a beginner/intermediate. It takes me a lot of
hard work to get anywhere and I've always struggled.

But lately I don't really want to pick up the footbag, when I do I get
frustrated because I'm a bit crap (because I haven't practiced) and
generally feel Why Bother? Deep down I don't want to let it go but I've
seemed to have lost my spark for it.

So, any tips and advice for me to help get me out of this rut?

Cheers all,

Wakey

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 06 Jul 2012 14:09

Find a way to take pleasure in the basics and work your way up. You can't expect to get better without first focusing on a solid foundation. I don't know your level, but you could even make basic stalls and kicks interesting. Throw in some unusual stuff. I could do calf kicks and clippers all day. Find a way to make your most reliable and consistent tricks enjoyable and work with those until they are even better. Then slowly add progressively harder tricks. Find whatever tricks you can do that allow you to hit 20-contact runs, whether they're 20 kicks, 20 stalls, a combination of both, 2 add tricks, etc... again I don't know your ability level, so you'd have to gauge that yourself. But if you can't do 20 guiltless in a row, aim for 20 tiltless. If you can't do 20 tiltless, add stalls and kicks, etc. You can add variety even to just toe stalls. You can do high-set, bent-knee toe stalls, the low, fast, alternating toe stalls like Vasek, swingy knee-snapping toe stalls like Byrin Wylie. Perfect your form on these and set other goals for yourself that will help motivate and establish a sense of satisfaction and progress. If you give us an idea of your level/trick vocabulary maybe we can suggest some drill/run/trick ideas.

jaust
Multidex Master

Post by jaust » 08 Jul 2012 02:53

go to a tournament/jam !!!! meet other footbag people, that's what always kept me playing!

also use footbag as an compensation for whatever stresses you, take a break and kick a little bit, do some stalls and easy tricks...

happy kicking!
Michael L.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 08 Jul 2012 04:45

Playing outdoors and with other people is the best motivator.

This is probably a very personal experience, but something that helped me get out of my previous rut was always having a footbag in my pocket. Whenever I have a free moment I kick it around or do tricks I'm not great at. When I start a serious drill at home, I start it by pretending I took a footbag out of my pocket and do those things, instead of the boring drills. By the time I've had enough of that, I'm warmed up and motivated for the more serious stuff.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Jul 2012 10:09

Wakey, where do you live? I might be able to set you up with a teacher/shred partner.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

phoenixfootbag
Circle Kicker

Post by phoenixfootbag » 10 Jul 2012 09:42

try to do it with other ppl, like someone said always carry a bag with u. I can't tell u how many times ive just took it out of my pocket and started just kickin and ppl join me and eventually we got a circle going. But, then again, thts at school...