Any tips?

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
bagpro67
Circle Kicker

Any tips?

Post by bagpro67 » 27 Jun 2013 20:14

Hello, I am brand new to the site and sport. I have the sandmaster and I am getting to be
a lot better at stalling. I have the inside and toe stalls down pat but I can't get the clipper.
Any tips on what tricks I should try first?

P.S I probably sound like an idiot but why does it say circle kicker by my name? I'm not a circle kicker.
R
RY
RYA
RYAN
RYA
RY
R

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Any tips?

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 27 Jun 2013 20:24

Hello there sir! Check out this video to make sure you're doing the basic stalls correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe9ySAT06zs

Sometimes, when we start off, we may be hitting our basic stalls improperly.

Also, where do you live man? If you're lucky, you live near some other players who could meet up with you and show you the ropes.

Welcome to Modified though!

Edit: The Circle Kicker just lets everyone know that you're brand new. As you post more, you'll eventually get higher ranks like "Atomsmashasaurus Dex" and other stuff like that... Point is... that thing doesn't really matter :P
Last edited by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic on 27 Jun 2013 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

bagpro67
Circle Kicker

Post by bagpro67 » 27 Jun 2013 20:34

Ha that's the same video I watched to learn my stalls. And I live near Chicago
some of my friends bag, too. They have helped me a bit.
R
RY
RYA
RYAN
RYA
RY
R

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 27 Jun 2013 20:42

Wow, you're lucky. CIC (Chicago Inner Circle) is a pretty big footbag club.

Bing! :arrow: http://www.footbag.org/clubs/show/959505527

I'd email either Tom or Nathan. Both of those guys are really nice and if you can meet up with them, I'm positive that they would help you learn all the basics of freestyle and then some. They are always looking for more people to kick with too. You should get your other friends that are interested in Freestyle to come check it out with you.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 27 Jun 2013 20:48

If you have the time to wade through it, there are a lot of good clipper tips here:

http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6010

Clipper is a really tough trick to learn to begin with, so don't be discouraged. Once you start getting it a few times, it will really rapidly improve. I would say there are three aspects to it;

1. Flat surface. You can work on this without a bag. People have different degrees of ankle flexibility, and most people find that this also improves with time. If you're not very flexible and having trouble getting a flat surface try bending the support knee more and holding the stalling foot further off the ground. You don't need a perfectly flat surface, but the flatter the better. Practising inside stalls will also really help, and actually clipper requires less flexibility than inside stall, so it sounds like you're on the right track.

2. Co-ordination. It's very common for people starting to not be able to get their foot in the right spot, and you end up completely missing it, or having it land in the wrong spot on your foot. I think you should aim for the middle of the inside right down on the edge of the sole. A large part of getting it right is just practice. If you can do things like hand set>clipper>hand catch and keep practising that, it's a good place to start. The other thing that helps is trying to get your head directly over the top of the bag so that you can literally see that your foot is under it and in the right place. This helps a lot with your balance too, because it means your weight is straight above the support leg.

3. Timing. This is really the "secret" to clippers. Like with all stalls you have to make sure you're cushioning the bag as it hits your foot. This takes a lot of practice to learn, but will eventually become natural and automatic. A big key to this is doing a little hop so that you're landing and cushioning as you stall the bag (the so called "magic hop"). This helps make sure you're in position too. Cushioning and setting should be a combination of moving the stalling leg up and down, but also bending and straightening the support leg. As you land from the magic hop you should bend the support leg down a little, and then straighten it as you set.

Remember that it is hard, and will take practice to get consistent. Try to keep both sides equal, and if one is worse than the other, spend more time practising that side. Good luck :)

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 27 Jun 2013 21:55

On top of Jeremy's tips, this video will help a lot... Don't just watch it, STUDY it and ANALYZE everything he does with his legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGNJgqmtt4Y
Nick Polini

Funblog

bagpro67
Circle Kicker

Post by bagpro67 » 28 Jun 2013 10:36

Thank you to both of you. After and hour or two of practice, I am now somewhat consistent. Still not great, but thank you for the advice it helped a ton.

P.S Nick, I'm thinking of buying a bag from you. I am sure they are much better than my sandmaster. :)
R
RY
RYA
RYAN
RYA
RY
R

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 28 Jun 2013 12:34

It will take weeks or months before it really is consistent and feels natural. That's how it is for anyone.

Keep practicing. (And remember to keep your weight off of your heel when you're doing the Clipper!)

bagpro67
Circle Kicker

Post by bagpro67 » 28 Jun 2013 12:48

I will. I've watched your videos and they have really helped thanks.
R
RY
RYA
RYAN
RYA
RY
R