Need help with butterfly, clipper set mirrage, etc.

For the new people coming into the sport, you can ask your questions in here.
HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Need help with butterfly, clipper set mirrage, etc.

Post by HG » 16 Jul 2004 16:48

Hey guys im new to the boards and generally new to the sport. Started last september, and since im in WI there are harsh winters so cant play then.

Moves i can already do:
legover (both sides)
mirage (almost both)
ATW (both)
Illusion (both)
Clipper only strong side. troubles flip side
Butterfly sometimes
clipper set mirage sometimes

My butterfly is shaky cuz it always hits my shorts, but when it doesnt i get it everytime. should i just get shorter shorts? like soccer shorts?

My clipper set mirage is shaky for the same reason

and how should i learn to clipper delay on my flipside? it doesnt work as well for me to learn the way i did on my strong side for my flipside. can i get some advice on flipside clipper please?
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 16 Jul 2004 17:00

As for flipside clipper there is no real trick, just imagine it feeling the exact same as your strong side and practice practice practice!

Get really really short shorts!

I wear kids soccer shorts and roll down the waistband a couple times. There is no reason to have that shit holding you back. If you feel like you look like an idiot then you are in this for the wrong reasons.

make sure you are practicing both sides just as much, and haaaaave fun!
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 16 Jul 2004 17:11

hey thanks man and no i dont care what i look like. id paint my ass and play buck naked if i had to. i really enjoy shredding. hittting a new move is as exhilarating a thing as i have ever done. and thx for advice!
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 16 Jul 2004 19:19

just had a nice 1 and a half hour shred, and i can now hit mirage on both sides, and butterfly well on strong side. still working on flipside clipper. I found that i should work on flipside inside stall first. once i school that i can get flipside clipper. than comes drifter, flipside butterfly and many more moves!

Yea WISCONSIN pride! lol

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 17 Jul 2004 01:29

That's sweet man!

Doesn't progression feel amazing!?

Keep up the good work man!

(I just thought I'd also mention this since someone else is bound to, if you want to toss in a little follow up to your previous post, rather than double-posting just edit your last post with the new info)
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 17 Jul 2004 05:06

thx again tom. and sorry i thought there was no editing on this forum. someone earlier had said that. i will start to do that.

im gonna have a big session today. then my friend who is really starting to shred is gonna come over. gonna be a great day

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 17 Jul 2004 13:03

I think this may help with the clipper. Don't imagine your foot being flat, imagine you are trying to make a ramp with your foot, the toes being the highest point. That will help give you the idea of the flexability you want.

Other than that, Just practice... And painting your ass might work too :lol:
John D

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 18 Jul 2004 06:12

haha yea that helps i got it down now. thx a lot John. that made my foot go flat when i thought of that

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 18 Jul 2004 15:32

glad to help. shred hard.
John D

comastalker
BSOS Beast

Post by comastalker » 19 Jul 2004 07:35

shove drifter way, that's way to hard (the components are easy, but the fast precision needed is just too far away, believe me, maybe start with pixie/fairie and stepping sets)
-Richard Vock-

"And today the great Yertle, The Marvelous he,
Is King of the Mud. That is all he can see.
And the turtles, of course...all turtles are free
As turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be."
- Dr. Seuss

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 19 Jul 2004 07:54

ok ill not do drifter. but i have trouble with pixie so ill have to work on that a alot. pixie is toe>same in>op toe right?

fairy is toe>same out>op toe?

i just need to clarify those. and i will work on them.

stepping sets are when in between a trick you plant and stuff? can you clarify stepping also?

thx

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 19 Jul 2004 10:06

Stepping is basically a mirage from a clipper set into another trick. For example, ripwalk is a miraging butterfly. So, from a clipper, you do the mirage and plant your leg really fast and do an opposite butterfly. Hope this helps ya! :D I need help with stepping sets too! And yeah, you're right about the pixie and the fairy.

shredita girlie
Hack Fiend

Post by shredita girlie » 19 Jul 2004 19:59

My butterfly's are really shaky. Like, I can hit them...sometimes. I can hit a Dragonfly easier. You might want to try that. I'm not very good at explaining tricks to people cause I'm new to this myself... but you take your leg around the bag in the opposite direction. Maybe somebody else could better explain it... hehe.
~*Megan Ambrose*~

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 09 Aug 2004 11:15

I wear kids soccer shorts and roll down the waistband a couple times. There is no reason to have that shit holding you back. If you feel like you look like an idiot then you are in this for the wrong reasons.
As for short shorts, i don't feel as i'd look like an idiot...i've just become too lazy and too accustomed to using the shorts i do...There really is no hinderance in my opinion except for nuclear sets...
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 16 Aug 2004 21:20

Yeah, I shredded in shorts that went down past my knee for like... a year or so. Then I got shorter shorts and started hitting moves like whirl, and everything else that I had engrained into my skull became easier.

Kinda like going from hiking boots to Lavers.

As far as stepping goes - Its like miraging the bag while its on the way up, so you have enough time to add to the move on the bags descent.

To clarify stepping and blurry sets (to the best of my knowledge, feel free to correct me if I am mistaken) A stepping set is when you do the above motion, and the footbag LANDS on the same side of your body that performed the step-dex. Blurry is when the footbag lands on the opposite side.

So Ripwalk would have many names.

Ripwalk
Blurry Butterfly
Miraging Butterfly

clip>op in>>op out>clip (My jobs is bad I think...)

The only advice I could give about op clipper, is to simply school it like you probly did with your strong clip. Just try doing Far Clipper>Repeat;

clip>op clip>op clip>op clip etc.

Soon they will come naturally. Keep SCHOOLIN'!

~ Dex

p.s. Welcome to the board, and I hope you enjoy your stay!
Adam Dexter

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 16 Aug 2004 22:45

looks like you've got butterfly down by now, but if you still need more help what helps me practice butterfly is doing butterfly kicks to start out with... Good job nailing the tricks though, I really need to work on my flipside...
Dustin Rhodes

Shredster
Flower Child

Post by Shredster » 16 Aug 2004 22:57

In Auto mechanics, if there is a problem with a car, a diagnostic procedure is followed to determine what excatly is wrong with the car itself.

I tend to use the same thinking in footbag when someone gives a list of moves that they need help on. I look at all the moves and try to relate them to one source to figure out the problem.

So:

Butterfly, Clipper set mirage...i assume anything set out of clipper, or anything ending in clipper is shaky for you. I suggest drilling clippers. That should solve your problems of shakiness.

Just thought i'd throw in my thinking process...its weird what college and a profession will do to your thought process.
Chris May
Paradox=((5N^x^p)-54000aph^np)/adds
Its just about that confusing...