December in Chicago - New Year's Jam

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 06 Jan 2006 10:16

My favorite part ever was when Paul Agostenelli(spelling) got mad at me and called me names when i did nothing :lol: :lol:
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

tuomoruutufan
Fearless

Post by tuomoruutufan » 06 Jan 2006 10:44

my guess is this falls under the category of misunderstanding someones opinion over the internet (This problem seems to plague internet comunication), Yes alot of the people close to chicago wouldnt be able to afford to go to ny and vise versa, i have no complaints with the attendance at NYJ and it doesnt sound like you have any complaints about your attendance.

All thats being stated is we saw how badly alot of freestylers are looking for a gathering in the offseason, considering the gigantic venue chicago has gurnateed to them with the gurantee of 1000s of spectators and tons of other things to do at the mayor dailey sports fest and considering chicago is like the center piece to all North american major cities, its the odvious choice for a new years jam by defualt not preferance. Nobody is bashing your effort, but just accept the fact that at the time of the mayor dailey sports fest no other place in america is better suited for a footbag jam. Its my personal opinion that this event should always be top priority and its time other event planners plan around us. Call that selfish call it what you want, but i dont think many of the NYJ atende's would disagree with my point for the fact that this event is such a perfect way to rock out in the winter and promote the sport! This event can be and should be bigger than it was this year.

Chicago needs some love, everywhere else has had big events like sjff,css, chilly philly, worlds and i think its time that chicago NYJ be within the same breath of those events i cant find a reason why it shouldnt.

Rochester sounded like a good time and one day i hope to visit you ny peeps since i have never been. and if this scheduling conflict is avoided next year put me on the confirmed list for coming to the next Rochester jam.
~Shawn Patrick Boyle~

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 06 Jan 2006 11:19

Most people have family obligations during the holidays, so the time one would have to go out of town during winter break is very limited, and even more limited for people who have careers. Perhaps this is why event dates run very close to each other this time of year. In any case, I'm sure more people will be attending both Jams next year, and with a full year to plan for, it's probably gonig to be financially realistic for more people to make it out to both jams.
I DEFINITELY don't like some of the bullshit that was posted in this thread and mine by some of the Chicago attendees.
I'm sure they were just joking around, we people from the united states of the midwest have odd senses of humour at times... there's a lot of corn here.

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 06 Jan 2006 11:23

quadgun wrote:So . . . I heard that the venue fell thru? Actually it was Henry that told me, and hes a pretty reliable source. That sucks that you guys wont have a place to shred. But I hear that its not so cold so maybe you can shred outside. Its really hwarm here in Chicago, like 45 degrees. Too bad you aren't here- you're assed out!
senor grommet wrote:No way! No venue?! You totally should not have backed out of coming to chicago. Serves you right. I pity the fools.
Those two quotes were posted in the Rochester Thread like a couple days before the jam. Kinda lame if you ask me. I think Matt has every right to be a little disconcerted by the lack of respect other footbaggers had for his event. Nelson wrote some derrogatory post about the event site sounding like a male strip club, but I kinda thought that was funny, even if it was sorta along those same lines as the others.

I don't think one person posted anything bad about Chicago. And I understand Tom's frustration with having an event take place simultaneously. I shared his sentiment in some respects. But the reactions from some of the other Chitown attendees is uncalled for amongst the community.

I'm glad everyone had a good time at both events. I've heard some good and bad things about Chicago, but I wouldn't dare post anything bad up here, because it's just not my style. I agree with Tom about trying to schedule the events during different times. But, one thing I liked about Matt's jam was everyone had a place to crash, a ride, food, etc. It's like there wasn't so many people that it was overwhelming for the host ya know? Not saying that it would've been that way had everyone gone to Chicago or Rochester, I guess I just don't see the need to argue about it.

There will be plenty of events throughout the year in which all footbaggers can attend the same venue. But I really applaud Matt for his hospitality and his overall restraint after some of the remarks made about him stealing Chicago's thunder, or stealing their crowd, etc. It's silly. It's just a party man. Happy New Year!!!

Peace
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

tuomoruutufan
Fearless

Post by tuomoruutufan » 06 Jan 2006 11:51

I think the thunder was shared and i dont think their are any hard feelings except for some of you who are pissed about kamils joke (if i was matt i would be ticked about it too considering the amount of hard work it sounds like he did)

my point and i think toms point is/was why share the thunder, their is enough time in the year to keep all these events more spaced apart so that everybody has the option to atend anything anywhere, this is a relitvely small comunity and i just think these things could be avoided, then again im not the one doing all the work so i guess im not one to talk about it.

All that matters is alot of people had alot of fun. i have no complaints about nyj except for repetitive music and minor difficulties of security spoiling late night shred fun and no jacuzi :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

lets just state it like this all you east coast people missed out on a good time in chicago, All of us midwest/west people missed out of a good time at rochester, lets not repeat this mistake next year. :D :D :D
~Shawn Patrick Boyle~

full nelson
8-Bit Ninja

Post by full nelson » 06 Jan 2006 12:07

For the record, I didn't write that. I was just logged in, off somewhere else. I don't think said posts were a big deal though. Everyone had fun regardless that they were made.

San Dimas Highschool Football rules!
Brad

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 06 Jan 2006 12:13

I'd explain myself ... but people are mad already ... so its kinda not worth it.

I hope this madness doesn't go any further, in case i come out to an east coast jam one day.

:)
Last edited by quadgun on 06 Jan 2006 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 06 Jan 2006 12:13

tuomoruutufan wrote:my guess is this falls under the category of misunderstanding someones opinion over the internet (This problem seems to plague internet comunication).
and my guess is that this falls under the category of misunderstanding a situation. I'll explain why. I don't feel that I've misunderstood anything that I've quoted or that you've said in this post.
All thats being stated is we saw how badly alot of freestylers are looking for a gathering in the offseason.
that is NOT all that's being stated. It's also being stated that, "yeah, Rochester was great, good job and all, but it would have been nicer if everyone could have been together, so please don't schedule your event next year in such a way that it will again prevent everyone from being together." Therein lies the misunderstanding of the situation. My event didn't prevent anyone from coming to your event, and it didn't make your event any smaller, or worse.

I'm definitely not arguing with the awesomeness of the venue, or the jam, or the people who throw it or attend it, etc etc etc because I've been to the Chicago NYJ, and I had a great time with great people doing what I love. I'm also not arguing with the statement that there's no better place in the US to throw a jam at that time of year.

However, I absolutely disagree when you say that other event planners should plan around you. You say, "call it selfish", but I wouldn't call it that. I would call it not very well thought out.

Why should event planners as far away as Rochester, with a group of completely different potential attendees, plan around your event? Do you think that some of the people who came to my tournament would have flown out to Chicago instead of driving to my event? I'm somehow quite doubtful of that, given that the majority of the attendees couldn't even afford to overstuff a hotel room for 2 nights, and they had to sleep on my smelly, dirty floor.

So, what? Why should I plan around you if we're so far away? If I had done that this year, the only result would have been a lot of East Coast freestylers doing something not nearly as cool as what they did on New Year's Eve.

:?: :?: :?:
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 06 Jan 2006 12:20

matt has a point

its not like this is the first year that their has been an event on the east coast and in the midwest.

i know last year for instance there was an event on the west coast, the east coast, and the midwest ... all pretty much in the span of a week, but none of them in the same time.

what im trying to say .... is that if people would wanna go to both jams, then they would do what matt and kolo did .... go to both jams.

maybe next year a east coast player might have some extra cash and might decide to go to chicago before the rochester new years jam.

or someone from chicago might want to spend new years shredding, but NYJ in chicago happening before the actual new year celebration prevents him/her from doing that, so they might fly out to rochester and party at matts house (with his permission).

soo yea ... im done

-cheers

bob
Le Meurtre Faux

Post by bob » 06 Jan 2006 13:37

pfft. this is a bunch of bull shit. like it was said, chicago's been holding this tourney for years and has always had to compete for attendance because of other tourneys. finally chilly philly steps out and the rochester jam happens? come on guys, how many other times of the year could this have been done. you saying that it didn't interfere is bullshit because i would have liked to have been at both.

"what im trying to say .... is that if people would wanna go to both jams, then they would do what matt and kolo did .... go to both jams."

obviously this puts financial strain on people if they wanna go to both. i mean, quadgun puts it like money is no big thing. kolo and matt can go because new york is on their way home.

in my opinion, holding a jam on the same days as another jam so close is just asking for a fued, especially when the chicago jams been going on for years.

"Therein lies the misunderstanding of the situation. My event didn't prevent anyone from coming to your event, and it didn't make your event any smaller, or worse."

If i would have gone to your event, it would have prevented me from going to chicago and vice versa, so don't say "anyone". i'm sure there are others too.

and can we stop crying over a couple of posts. christ. i REALLY doubt that had much of an affect on your attendance or fun. i'm sure it had far less of an affect on your attendance, than the effect your jam had on chicago attendance.

bob
Bob Glasser

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 06 Jan 2006 13:55

2 Thumbs Up

Now before this turns into a flame war, just cool your jets on both sides. Yeah, I was dissapointed that Rochester came up after Philly was cancelled, cause I wanted to have more people at one event. BUT, it was an east coast event that took over Philly's place that was East Coast. Lots of players had no where to go because Chicago was too far away, so yes, I'm happy they had somewhere to go. Now don't go rearranging what I just said. Now whoever is pissin their pants over nothin, buy some diapers, suck your thumbs , and hush. Rejoice, it was 2 footbag events that went well. It sounded like both were a blast, and I'm hopin to see some footage from both, unfortunately everyone was so damned busy shreddin at Chicago, I doubt there will be much footage :cry:
More C4 please <3

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 06 Jan 2006 14:13

I can honestly say that if Matt didn't throw his jam in rochester, that I would've been sitting on my ass waiting till April or May or whenever GRASS goes on. I think that in the end, anybody who thinks that Rochester should reschedule their event is being a little bit unreasonable. I mean, all you people are saying that there's all sorts of other times to hold an event, but are there? The last event that I went to was KICKASS and that was in October. Then I went to school. And then comes christmas break. And other than New Years, when is there time to throw a jam? Realistically? And be able to get more than a few people out who aren't spending time with their family? There isn't another time. And then everybody goes back to school, or life, and there isn't time for another jam for a few months. That's how it is for me, at least. My point is that I think the footbag scene is WAAAAY better off having two jams, where freestylers from different places can go to the one that's closer. As I said, if it weren't for Matt's Rochester jam, I wouldn't have done anything this new years. And I think it's the same for plenty of other people, too. So anybody who thinks that Chicago got a raw deal, should basically relax.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip Hard 2: Skip Harder
Skip Hard With A Vengeance
Coming soon. Yippee-kieaye-eh?
Skip-blog

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 06 Jan 2006 14:57

"for sho" - 40 year old virgin
More C4 please <3

tuomoruutufan
Fearless

Post by tuomoruutufan » 06 Jan 2006 15:58

Chicago has no control over when nyj its decided by the city, so it is better thought out if someone else is able to avoid planning their event around it cause they are able to do that and we our not,

I got no beef with what happened this year it is awesome you gave all the east coast players a great event on new years, maybe next year the two events can be scheduled at different times like a two week buffer (xmas break is like 4 weeks long), and both events can get the few extra attendees and attention they deserve. or maybe that wont be possible for whatever reasons and it will be a repeat of this year and we can have this stupid argument all over again next year :D

Whats this event mentioned GRASS, i would like to hit up the east coast sometime i never really been east of Pittsburg
~Shawn Patrick Boyle~

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 06 Jan 2006 16:08

tuomoruutufan wrote:Chicago has no control over when nyj is, its decided by the city
What!?
tuomoruutufan wrote: maybe next year the two events can be scheduled at different times like a two week buffer, and both events can get the few extra attendees and attention they deserve.
Did you read the other posts? I don't mean to be a dick, but the whole point of this little snafu is that nobody wants to change the date that their event happens....and I don't think anybody should. Let's say that one of the jam's was made two weeks before new years. Most people are still in school, and if they're not, then they're probably with their family. Two weeks after new years people are in school, or working. To have a two week buffer is basically impossible. If it were up to me, I think there should be NYJ's all over the country! Canada too! That way NOBODY can complain. That is all.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 06 Jan 2006 16:12

Shawn means that NYJ was just a tiny part of a humongous sports festival sponsored by the city. It happens every winter between Christmas and New Years. We have a friend at the Mayors office that hooks us up with the site on the floor of the convention center
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

tuomoruutufan
Fearless

Post by tuomoruutufan » 06 Jan 2006 16:32

Hey im not freaking out or anything all im saying is if this problem can be avoided in the future it may benefit the both of us, but its kind of out of our control so if its in your power to avoid a scheduling conflict next year SWEET! if not then shred on and hope for the best possible turnout in both cities. thats the sumed up version of my perspective of this silly little argument. I dont see why this has become a battle of the repeated statements (im probably the most guilty of this :oops: )

mahood said it best lets end the argument on his words

"it was 2 footbag events that went well. It sounded like both were a blast, and I'm hopin to see some footage from both"
~Shawn Patrick Boyle~

The Actual Sized E
Fearless

Post by The Actual Sized E » 06 Jan 2006 18:12

Skippy wrote:If it were up to me, I think there should be NYJ's all over the country! Canada too! That way NOBODY can complain. That is all.
I'm glad it's not up to you, because I would complain. Then Johnny and Jordan would be shredding at the Ontario NYJ; Bob, Brad, and John at the WVNYJ; Jeremy, Amelia, and Emily at the SCNYJ and none of them shredding with me. We can all shred at home all year round, winter break is our chance to consolidate and see our distant friends that we otherwise can't the rest of the year. Like you said a couple posts up, there are limited slots of time in which a successful event can take place, and new years is one of the big ones. So there will always be conflict between events at this time of year because everyone is off work/school at the same moment and want to be able to use it to get together with everyone else. The only way to avoid this is to have only one place to be at that time, which -due to monetary reasons- leaves a lot of people assed out. I'm glad Matt threw his event and I'm glad that it was a success, it saved a lot of people from solo sessioning their New Years. Myself personally as well as the rest of the CIC crew organizing this New Year's Jam worked and cooperated directly with Matt, and he with us, in an effort to keep both our jams as fun as possible and in doing so both events were a success. Yay, it was a great new years. With all that said, I still agree with Tom that Chicago is the place to be on new years. If you can't make it here than attend and event that is more feasible for you. If the Boise Idaho crew decided to hold "the Boise Idaho End of February Spectacular" then they should expect to be a second choice because I know for damn sure I'll be at the Colorodo Shred Symposium for my 7th year in a row. The Rochester Jam could grow into a monster of an event considering the turn out on its first year, and more power to it if it does, but I'll never get to see it cause over new years there's no question where I'll be. And it would be nice to get Matt back out to Chicago for another NYJ cause we all had a blast the last time he came out :) .

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 06 Jan 2006 21:39

ummm its not the venue that makes the jam,

its the people that make the jam

ummm
yea
footbag
Last edited by quadgun on 06 Jan 2006 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 06 Jan 2006 22:00

True say, Eric. Okay, maybe not NYJs EVERYWHERE. :P
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog