Airplanes

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Airplanes

Post by QuantumBalance » 30 Jan 2007 09:02

How do you guys like riding in Airplanes when you are flying to footbag tournaments? And flying home on them too?

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 30 Jan 2007 13:49

I'm not the most comfortable on airplanes. I get nervous a bit, but it's better than driving for 14 hours or so, depending on where you fly. Plus footbag tournaments are worth much more than a few hours of nervousness.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 30 Jan 2007 14:10

I've been on over 30 or so plane rides in my life, so plane rides are nothing to me. I've only gone by plane to one tournament.

I'm not sure why you're asking this. Are you scared of planes? Never been on one?

Way more people get injured in cars than planes.
Danny P.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 30 Jan 2007 15:23

Pirate Man wrote:
Cite your sources!

lol... jk. :)
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 30 Jan 2007 16:15

I always want to jump out and bounce on the clouds. :P Other than that, I usually enjoy my plane rides as long as I got my music and a window seat.
Chrissy Fryer

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 30 Jan 2007 18:06

Planes don't bother me. The only thing is that they are expensive as balls.

While that may be so, the mortality rate in a crash is much, much higher in a plane. How many plane crashes do you hear about that doesn't have a high body count?
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 30 Jan 2007 19:20

One of my best friends recently was in a plane crash where the fog was so bad, her dad (who was piloting it) went right into the side of a mountain without knowing where he was. My friend and her family in it got out and none of them were injured at all.
Danny P.

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 30 Jan 2007 19:23

Whaaattt!

Bet that was a really slow plane!

That's crazy man... where was that?
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 30 Jan 2007 20:43

the first time i rode a plane i was a baby so i dont remember that...

...the next time i went on one was the last nyj... departure from nashville was hell and i got really scared and cried. there was a lot of turbulence.
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 31 Jan 2007 03:12

I've been on many a plane ride. Just wanted to see what you all thought.

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 31 Jan 2007 05:11

But the incidence of plane crashes are so low, you are still much more likely to die in a car, yet you probably travel in one everyday.

I've travelled a fair few times in planes over the last 5 years, I'm sort of over it now. It's almost more of an inconvenience with the tiny seats and security and all that. Better than driving though, as someone said.

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 31 Jan 2007 12:43

They didn't crash into a vertical wall or anything. They smashed into a couple trees and into the ground. I think the crash occurred in North Carolina.

I personnally can't stand being on planes though. The air quality is bad, the seats are uncomfortable, etc.
Danny P.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 31 Jan 2007 13:55

Planes are fine as long as you don't sit next to somebody obnoxious (verbally or BO-wise). I've had some nice convos on planes, and I've also slept a ton on them. They get you where you need to go fast and relatively safely.

As for prices, you can usually find something decent online if you look early enough. I recommend sidestep.com. You enter your info once, and then it searches multiple websites (orbitz, travelocity, etc) to find you the cheapest fares.

Guest_1
BSOS Beast

Post by Guest_1 » 01 Feb 2007 21:46

How do you guys live the footbag lifestyle on the planes?

Can you bring steel filled bags on board?

What about a sewing kit?

Anyone stitch on planes?

Any ideas on it?

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 01 Feb 2007 23:47

I was surprised on my european trip how little legroom there was. Even on british airways. At least the beer and food were free unlike most airlines. Then theres the constant delays and waiting on the runway to take off or flying circles for hours once you are already where you need to be.
I had a little folding bike at worlds and took full advantage of using it everywhere, but on my final leg from A'Dam to London the flight checkin clerk decided my bike which folded to the size of overhead luggage needed a bike box. I had to go to 2 counters and spend an hour and then they put the tiny bike into a huge box for giant tandem bikes. The same clerk took it in and commented how I was lucky its free (the box cost 20 euro :evil: ) When the flight was ready to take off the baggage guys got on and said the bike wont fit (duh its a small plane, why didnt the ticket lady think of that?) so I told them it was a brompton and they were like "why the heck is it in the big box?" so they took it out and flew it just like they did the other 3 legs of my trip.
Flying sux!!

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 02 Feb 2007 08:28

i brought 20 lead filled bags on my plane to nyj, and had no questions asked. i brought my needle and floss, but no scissors aboard. i didnt even stitch, i was busy vanqishing dracula.

i doubt you would get stopped for having a needle, eventho mine was hidden.

flying is nice because i dislike driving, esp to a far away place. i didnt really like the people near us, and most of them were jerks because our plane got delayed on the runway.
(ice onthe wings...)

but other than that stuff, flyings not so bad. get there quick, soda.... what more could you need?

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 02 Feb 2007 09:15

Plane rides are pretty chill. I enjoy them. I would seriously like to bring my sewing kit and a pair of flimsy, grade school pair of scissors along for the ride to start stabbing [fabric] on the plane. But yeah, the steel shot is a bit iffy to me. I'm sure if I was keen in making bombs, a spread of steel shot can seriously hurt or even kill. Lead would be a better application here.

Do they make scissors out of very dense plastic? Just asking, since some practice combat knives are made in a similar fashion and can cut decent if treated properly, I think.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 02 Feb 2007 11:18

Carol W. works(ed?) as a flight attendant and had something that looked like a credit card but had a little slit in it to cut thread because at some points airlines don’t allow anything sharp. It was neat; I have no idea where to get one.

The last four or so time I've been on a plane I've brought footbags, shot in a Ziplock bag, glover's needles, very sharp fabric scissors (Fiskars), a very small pair of manicure scissors (in case they take away the Fiskars so I’ll still be able to cut thread) and I've had no problems.

I know that one of these days one employee might not be okay with me having sharp stuff on a plane and need to take it away. I accept that as a possibility.

Flying by myself has lost a little of the spark it had when I started, but flying with other people is still as fun.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 02 Feb 2007 12:59

I've seen a bunch of people ask if bringing footbags on the plane is ok.

Why in the world wouldn't it be ok?
Danny P.

ashleyd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by ashleyd » 02 Feb 2007 18:11

I've been on a good number of flights now. Ever since my bad experience of getting sick on a plane, I don't really dig them anymore. Unless its 1st class, which Sam and I received after an un-planned night in Denver going to LA. Airports have long lines, are huge, confusing, and expensive. Flying is alone, expensive, uncomfortable, long(to me), and can make you sick. :? I would take a road trip any day over a flight...
Ashley Danowski

"As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so life well spent brings happy death."