Steel City Jam at the Children's Museum!! -- March 14

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
yacob
Shredaholic

Steel City Jam at the Children's Museum!! -- March 14

Post by yacob » 07 Jan 2009 12:22

Holler footbag stallers!

As part of the We Can! Series, encouraging healthy, physically active play, sponsored by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, The Children's Museum of Pittsburgh has asked Steel City Freestyle to hold a footbag demonstration for kids and their families at the museum on March 14!

Rather than have just us SCF folks, we thought why not invite all of our friends from out of town to have a kick ass, family friendly, jam at the museum? Plus, the Children's Museum loves the idea of welcoming out of towners, so there you have it: A footbag jam at the Pittsburgh Children's Museum!

Many details are yet to come, but so far we know we'll be in the Museum's theater room, a big open room with a nice playing surface, from 1-5pm on Saturday March 14. If you're looking for crash space, let us know, but I for one can definitely offer up some space at my house.

And as for other stuff to do that weekend, I'm thinking a party saturday night would be in order, not to mention shred sessions around the city whenever we're not at the Museum.

We'll be meeting with the Museum soon to hammer out some more details, so stay tuned, and get ready to kick it in the Steel City on March 14!
Last edited by yacob on 12 Feb 2009 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Jake Milofsky

Steel City Freestyle [ex officio]

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 07 Jan 2009 12:56

On Pi day no less. Intriguing... *strokes imaginary moustache*

colefieldhouse22
BSOS Beast

Post by colefieldhouse22 » 07 Jan 2009 14:19

I told myself no more footbag events until school ends, but I don't know how I can resist this :(
Adrienne Craver

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 07 Jan 2009 16:14

Definitely a good chance I could make it to this.
Danny P.

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 07 Jan 2009 18:01

I plan on making it out there

Tripp
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Tripp » 09 Jan 2009 15:55

The Acacia Strain are playing in Pittsburgh that night. Could be a busy day for me.
Josh Gayhart ... keeping footbag tuff since 2002.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 14 Jan 2009 12:24

I'm interested.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Caleb
Fearless

Post by Caleb » 15 Jan 2009 07:11

I guess I'll be there :-P

Probably have crash space for 2. So hit me.
Steel City Freestyle

Caleb Abraham

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 20 Jan 2009 01:44

The venue we will be kicking at is very cool. Jake and I have both worked with them in past for various purposes and it has been very cool.

I have a futon that is good for either one person or a couple. I may also have floor space, as my gf and I have been on a cleaning mission as of late. :)

There is a brewery/restaurant/bar called the Church Brew Works that is perfect for of age drinkers and their younger, or non-drinkings friends. It is inside a former Church, and it is awesome. That is just one of many, many after-party options in the very cool, inexpensive town of Pittsburgh.

Good times will be had.

mtoolan
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by mtoolan » 20 Jan 2009 09:45

damn, i so want to go to this. sadly it's not going to work.
Mike Toolan
Penn State Footbag Club

mattbeall
Shredalicious

Post by mattbeall » 20 Jan 2009 15:43

I also have crash space and two futons open to anyone. Just pm or email or whatever, whenever.

I'll also put up anybody who wants to come to town three days early and go to a Bouncing Souls, Dillinger Four show with myself and peeps on Wednesday night. Haha, you know you want to.

But, yeah, footbag in a museum. How can anyone resist?

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 10 Feb 2009 10:11

Any updates? Is there an indoor shred spot for when we aren't in the museum? Is the site and time a lock?

yacob
Shredaholic

Post by yacob » 12 Feb 2009 09:28

Hey Ken! I'm meeting up with the museum representative tonight, so I'll post up more details after that meeting.

The site and time are a lock. As for indoor shred when we're not at the museum, we can always fall back on playing at one of the University of Pittsburgh buildings, but I may try to work on finding a better spot. I'll letcha know!

Are you gonna bring your pi day celebration materials?
Jake Milofsky

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 12 Feb 2009 09:54

I will be able to make this :)

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 12 Feb 2009 12:53

Are there any good pie shops around the area?

All this talk about pi makes me crave for pie. :P
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 12 Feb 2009 13:07

There are some amazing cupcakes:

http://www.dozencupcakes.com/

colefieldhouse22
BSOS Beast

Post by colefieldhouse22 » 12 Feb 2009 19:31

*sign* so I probably shouldn't be going to this but it really is just more and more tempting. So as much as I say I am not going to go, I probably am. Playing with little kids? Museums? Footbag? And now cupcakes?!
Adrienne Craver

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 12 Feb 2009 20:44

Yes!!! Age- you really have to come. These cupcakes are incredible, and the store is three blocks from my house. Apparently they also have a killer Sunday brunch...

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 13 Feb 2009 09:00

Oh snap I am there! Can i attempt to reserve crash space somewhere? 8)

yacob
Shredaholic

Post by yacob » 16 Feb 2009 10:30

Duffel, you're welcome at my spot!

So I met with the Museum, and as I said we're still a lock for March 14, 1-5pm in the Museum Theater.

The Lobby, Grand Hall, and Theater (where we'll be), are free for everyone to enter. If you'd like to visit the rest of the Museum's exhibits, they've asked that folks pay admission.

The museum has a cafe, and so they have a policy about not bringing in any outside food or drink. They've agreed to provide footbag players with free bottled water all afternoon, but they've asked that people buy food at their cafe rather than bring it with them.

The museum's got a parking lot that costs a couple bucks, but there's plenty of free on-street parking all around the museum too. For directions and more museum info, check out their website at www.pittsburghkids.org

Ian, good call on Sunday brunch at Dozen! Things seem to be pretty set for the museum, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the weekend pans out! I predict it will be awesome.

I'm leaving for Ethiopia on Monday, and I'll be getting back just before the event, so props to Ian for holding it down while I'm gone. And please everyone bare with me during the event as I may be 12 hours jetlagged or battling malaria or something! Haha, I'm still gonna shred though no matter what!

word up
Jake Milofsky