2009 US Open Freestyle Footbag Championships July 11-13

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 13 Jul 2009 19:03

redshredz wrote:We are also happy to announce our new BAP Inductee, by unanimous decision, we welcome Nick Landes to the Big Add Posse.
Interesting bit of trivia: Had this not happened, this would have been the first year since BAP was created that no North American members of BAP attend Worlds.

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 14 Jul 2009 01:04

sounds like an incredible event and an incredible time for footbag in portland! and yeah, whats nick's bap name????
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

armin-m
Hack Fiend

Post by armin-m » 14 Jul 2009 02:04

C-Fan wrote:
redshredz wrote:We are also happy to announce our new BAP Inductee, by unanimous decision, we welcome Nick Landes to the Big Add Posse.
Interesting bit of trivia: Had this not happened, this would have been the first year since BAP was created that no North American members of BAP attend Worlds.

A "Hurricane" is already ravaging in Germany and a "Disco Ninja" might emerge from the shadows soon ;)

Stoked to see you next week Ken!

---

Congratulations to flash and nick landes! I hope to attend this awesome tournament one day.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 14 Jul 2009 06:43

armin-m wrote:A "Hurricane" is already ravaging in Germany...
Uh oh...better tell Jay Boychuk not to get a girlfriend and bring her to Worlds.

In all seriousness though, it is a little sad that so few top North Am competitors have made it to Worlds in Europe these last two years. I'm confident that Nick will do us proud though.

Mrs. Mauler
Shredalicious

Post by Mrs. Mauler » 14 Jul 2009 09:20

Are the routines going to be posted here??? I can't wait to see my Flash!!!!!!
Aidan Clemente

bustinjustin
Fearless

BAP Name

Post by bustinjustin » 14 Jul 2009 13:47

Red quickly said, "Nick Out-Landis" after he was BAP'd. I don't know if its anything official or he was just throwing it out there.
Justin Dale
Videos

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 14 Jul 2009 15:45

I vote for "Lando Calrissian," since Nick is obviously both black and the crooked administrator of Cloud City.

Kyle Hewitt
something more funny

Post by Kyle Hewitt » 14 Jul 2009 16:10

sampotter wrote:I vote for "Lando Calrissian," since Nick is obviously both black and the crooked administrator of Cloud City.

*Facebooks thumbs up* Kyle Hewitt likes this

JeffOverbo
Multidex Master

Post by JeffOverbo » 14 Jul 2009 22:43

I had a great time. Thank you to Red and the Portland crew, and John Stalberger for putting together an amazing US Open.

P.S. only reason I didn't sign up for the street fighter tournament was because I wanted you guys to have fun, didnt want to take all the money :wink:
Hi.

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 15 Jul 2009 04:17

Hey gang,
Thanks again for everyone coming out to the event and supporting us! I am mad buried in post event work, but wanted to throw a little more documentation from the event out there. There is quite a bit of information to convey about Fourkast and what we are doing (especially to people who didn't make the event), but more on that later : ) I would like to tell the story of the US Open this year with some great pictures that were taken. I hope everyone enjoys them!

Friday Night Registration:

We held registration around the front of Nautilus about 7pm on Friday. For the next two hours people trickled in and out between the site and hotel (across the street). There was essentially a two hour session on Nautilus Drive.

Scott and Nick played a bit Friday, these guys really represented all weekend.

As we were packing up for the evening I snapped off a picture of the Drive, nice sundown shot of the flags. The Nautilus Headquarter Facility is pretty large, the next day we would have our event around back in the sports area.

Saturday:

Groove Nation

The next day we kicked right into it with a show from Groove Nation, our local hip hop dance group. That actually brought in quite a few people, which was helpful. We are talking about coordinating with them and creating a larger event, their energy really pumped up the crowd!

We had many booths and tents set up around the area, basically surrounding the center court around along with the bleachers. There was quite a bit going on all over the event area.

It was good to see my old friend Alex Zerbe, he is kicking again and enjoying fatherhood. Thanks for making the event Alex!

Ianek played a key roll working in many of the events, either organizing the details, or at the least acting as a judge. Here he is giving the players a breakdown of how Circle would run.

We had some good Shreditas circles, I was happy Jane made it to our event to see it! We have been interacting on a few different avenues regarding the promotion of women's shred.

We had a few good old school circles, this one had Alex Zerbe, Sean Wingert, and Brian McKenzie. I wasn't able to jump in any myself as I kept busy, but I always have to cheer on the homies. Go 90's freeestylers!

Hall of Fame Inductions:

After the first day concluded, we went over to the outside picnic area next to the freestyle court to hold the HoF ceremony. We were lucky enough to have the entire event catered both days by three different sponsors (thanks to NW Deli, Panera, and James Chance for providing the food). We had dinner and kicked into the inductions.

Ted Huff kicked it off with a little history lesson about the beginning of footbag and the HoF. After that he read an acceptance speech from Carol Wedemeyer (as she could not attend the event that year).

Jane was the only inductee that could make it, here she is seated with her husband (Alex Zerbe) and Sunny Freeman Genz, who was representing Daryl Genz (also absent from receiving his award in person).

Sunny accepts Daryl's award on behalf of him, and give is an emotional speech on her and her husband's feelings about the sport. I was honored to read Daryl's acceptance speech to the attendees, it was short but sweet!

Jane accepts her award, and conveys her appreciation for the sport.

Cameramen

Brian McKenzie acted as the cameraman for most of the weekend (along side Chase Card-Burns, thanks guys), that is, when they were not shredding!

All the attending Hall of Famers.

Back at the house

We had a few people over (less than previous years), but it was fun. I wasn't able to interact as much as I would have liked, but that's how it goes. This is a fun picture though!

Our new roomie Bevier shows off his true style, who can't appreciate a good hat?

There was quite a bit of Street Fighter that weekend. Eric Chang was talking it up before the event, but then realized he had entered the Lion's Den. The Sole Purpose Gang doesn't joke around when it comes to SF4!

Day 2:

Jim flew in Sunday morning, right from his brother's wedding. Thanks Jim! He did not compete officially, but instead performed a great exhibition routine for the crowd.

I had been a little concerned about the weather, it had rained the night before and hadn't dried out yet. Luckily, we had received a sponsorship from the Marriott host hotel in the form of a free conference room, so we were covered with a back up spot right across the street. We also had a secondary back up spot at Groove Nation's dance studio, they were very nice to offer it weeks before the event. Luckily, for most of day 2, we were ok with the weather. Always have a backup plan though!

We continued finals of our events, crowd turn out was surprisingly good the second day as well. There were a lot of people moving through the event, many spectators. We had a decent amount of players there, but far more spectators, friends, staff, Groove Nation people, and newbie kickers. This was good, there was a lot of mingling of people! (above is Circle finals by the way). Reid Strellner played great, and in an upset won his top position in Circle prelims over Scott Bevier. Flash came back in the Last Chance Round however, and made it back to finals Sunday.

This new kicker was apparently from around our area. We hope to see him more!

Cameron (Sunny's son) is growing up! We have been friends for 8 years now, I have known him since he was four.

Essential Jim representing.

The Fourkast Footbag Company

I was happy we were able to announce and launch the new company officially at the US Open. What better place, right? I always try to listen to my instincts while balancing the logistics of things, thus when we decided to move forward with Fourkast, it felt like the next logical step. Footbag has been very good to us here, and we are happy to give back. Again though, more on this soon : )

The staff working our Fourkast booth, many thanks to them!

The appearance of footbag and the way a player looks is something I am greatly interested in. Thus I dig apparel a great deal!

We didn't have all of our stuff available (some is shipping in over the next month), but we did present a fair amount, including most of our flagship footbags, which are all produced either in Portland, or by Fair Trade/Business Social Accountability certification (the only way we will go). I believe socially conscious business practices should be upheld first and foremost : ) We also connected to the company that produces Amaretta, thus all of our footbags save the crochet bags are Amaretta. Quality to the people!

Fourkast kids! We work with kids and perform at schools a great deal, I am happy to educate them early about footbag and exercise!

Kenny Shults Interview

Johnny had a segment were he interviewed Kenny. It was very touching, the two men have known each other for a great deal of time, Johnny remembers when Kenny was a bright eyed kid in the world of footbag. We were lucky enough to film the whole thing in HD.

Workshops

We offered two workshops that weekend, one per day. Johnny ran the first one for basics, Nick ran the second more a little more advanced. Nick is a far better teacher than I ever was, he is very good at breaking it down in a very fundamental way, and the kids really look up to him.

Also, if you'll notice in the right hand corner, there is a guy standing there with white hair. His name is Ken Moller, and he kicks with Lavers, in his early 60's. He competed intermediate, and wanted to show the people you can do this at any age! We also had a great casual kick master named Victor "Old School" Burnham. He has been kicking for 33 years, and has a very smooth natural style that involves zero stalls. Quite frankly, we need more of this mastery with the new school coming in, it really stood out!

BAP Vote

As we had announced, we had the BAP vote at the US Open as Worlds is in Europe. I receive the opinions of other non present BAPer's (both stateside and in Europe), and we all processed it with our opinions. Kenny Shults threw down his opinion as well, but is not present in these shots sadly (he had to take off early from the event).

Big Add Posse Inductee

After all was said and done, there was only one unanimous decision, this guy simply rocked the event. For almost three years I have voted no for his induction, while others were asking when he was getting in, I simply did not believed he was quite ready. Nick is my greatest Next Gen, but I didn't want it perceived he was getting a free ride because of me. It had to be undeniable, and this year it was. Not just at the US Open, but for the last 9 or ten months he has truly impressed in his commitment and quality. We decided our inductee by not only technical merit, but also whether we see the person as being an icon in the sport that will contribute for years to come. All this being said, and without question, we welcome Nick Landes to the Big Add Posse.

Nick gets to see I am not a hard ass to him all the time : )

The gang!

Best 3 begins, Aaron calls his combo.

Matt Kemmer doing his thing, at the US Open a second year in a row!

Rain! At the very end of the event, it started to drizzle. Luckily, we had all the major events out of the way, and Best 3 was concluding. Right after this we all headed over the hotel for Request Competition and the awards ceremony.

Request Competition:

Evan Gatesman really tore it up! It came down to him, Nick, and Jim in Request. The contest started out with everyone standing in a circle, while we filmed in the middle. Everyone hung tough, but eventually it came down to those three. Nick got knocked out first, then Jim, leaving Evan for the win! Great job Evan, I have heard this shredder has been playing on and off, but his game looked great this weekend. I was also very impressed with Reid Strellner, he is the only one I had a chance to kick with before the Open, we threw down pretty hard. He has a great ability to perform well under pressure, he played great that weekend. Props Evan and Reid!

Awards:

Yup, it was this guy's year. Bevier is a true performer, I believe many freestylers should take a page out of this guy's routine book. He really puts on a great show. Congrats my friend, you deserved every bit of it!

We weren't sure we were going to have a women's routines event this year, but Shawnell came in and really wanted to do it, so Sunny joined in and it happened. We need more enthusiastic Shreditas like Shawnell Tolliver, I hope this motivates her even more to practice and further represent! Congrats to the 2009 US Open Women's Freestyle Footbag Champion.

Evan receives his award for Request.

Nick receives it for Circle and Best 3. All we would need would be for Kenny to be there and we would have all the generations of Portland footbag in the picture.

The Champions. Marc Strauss, Scott Bevier, and Shawnell Tolliver. I was happy Marc made the event, I think I sold it to him when we were at the Green Cup. Looks like the journey paid off, he's now the 2009 US Open Intermediate Freestyle Champion!

Sole Purpose Inductions

Scott accepts his Sole Purpose jersey.

Shawnell with the hugs!

Here's a guy who's on a journey, but completely committed to the Portland group. Welcome to Chase Card-Burns (who can also keep up with me on the sci-fi talk)!

I have known this guy since he was a pup more or less. Ten years ago he joined our Boulder Blades shred house, I am happy to say he again is our roommate and welcome member of the group. Big shout out to Brian McKenzie!

Sole Purpose 09

The Chang/Boychuk duo. There's a comedy routine here somewhere. Both these guys are great, he hope to get Chang in the Portland area sooner or later, and wish Jay all the luck at Worlds this year!

After the awards, Panera catered the event, people kicked for a while longer, than we wrapped it up and headed back to our place.

Here's when people get paid for their hard work. Cash money!

The big Street Fighter Tournament. Nick and Chang created brackets, attendance was large and money was thrown down.

I won the money, holla! Actually, I could only compete in one of the three tournaments that evening, Ianek and I took a very productive meeting regarding a few different subjects with footbag. Meanwhile, Eric Chang won an event, and James Chance took the third event. Good times!

Sunny always smiling! Also pictured my woman Christina!

Wish this picture would have turned out better, but maybe it has a surreal quality to it. Good homies!

The Water Temple:

The weather was good again for us, and the Water Temple Jam went down as always. The Scott/Jim/Nick circle between platforms was sick, the video of what all three put down will be amazing.

Jeff films for Fourkast!

Great pic of Scott.

Jim does what he does!

A couple of good Nick shots.

Another good video guy. I picked up a copy of Dawn of the Shred, it was sick!

Slant shot. I think it works.

More good shots.

These guys were really center stage all weekend. It's always fun to see the footbag greats throw down together!

And finally...

The end of the tournament. Many thanks to everyone involved in footbag, the US Open (shout out to our camera people), Fourkast, Sole Purpose, and freestyle in general. It's 5am in the morning, I have a meeting with Johnny tomorrow (today?), better catch some sleep. Much love and respect!
Red

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 15 Jul 2009 05:11

Really great write up Red. Great photos too. And I admire your dedication, looking forward to hearing more about your new business. Say hi to Bevier and Brian for me.
Bob R.

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 15 Jul 2009 07:58

Thanks to everyone for making this such a great event. Thanks Red for organizing and being the back bone of this event. Your professionalism was amazing and without you the publicity and success of the event would not be possible. Thanks Mr. Stalberger for inventing the sport I love so much and for all your help in running the event. Thanks to my five roomies in 209 for putting up with me :D . Thanks to Steve Goldberg. I'm sure he did something. Special thanks to James for housing me those first two nights, showing me around portland a bit, and providing all the shred food, of which I'm sure I contributed a good portion towards the consumption.

This tournament was really great for me. I was able to meet many of the players on a level I have not before. I leave inspired to play more and contribute more to this sport. Thanks again everyone.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 15 Jul 2009 18:55

Great write up and photos. Really wish I could have made it again this year, but it just wasn't in the cards. Hopefully I can make it out to Portland for a visit next year though.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 15 Jul 2009 19:43

Yeah, great write-up and photo shoot of the jam, Red. I wanted to make it to the US Open this year as well, but I'm currently in a financial stump myself. Next year is a definite possibility.

And I know I promised Eric Chang about attending the Street Fighter IV throwdown. Maybe something like that will happen next year.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 16 Jul 2009 00:23

Thanks gents,
Here are a few articles that were written previous to the US Open. The Columbian article has a video link that you can watch Johnny talk and myself play. Ironically, they used the footage of me warming up instead of the more technical stuff, so no Nemesis to Nemesis! (just kidding). The article is good I think, the other article is from the Oregonian. Enjoy!

http://columbian.com/article/20090707/S ... /707079952

and

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ss ... s_his.html

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 17 Jul 2009 08:06

Wow great write up! If I were healthy I totally would have made it. I definitely missed out, looks like it was beyond epic. There's always next year.

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 19 Jul 2009 09:46

Wow cool pics Red! The Open looked like an amazing time.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Kenar
Hack Fiend

Post by Kenar » 21 Jul 2009 21:47

Hey Red, thanks for the great tournament. I had a lot of fun and look forward to next year. Although my freestyle routine really sucked, I plan on doing much better next year.

A question for all the shredders who were there -- why didn't you compete in the Consecutives events? This old, white haired dude in the Lavers would have loved to compete against you. Maybe next year, eh?

Thanks again to both you and John for the great Open.

Chase
Shredaholic

Post by Chase » 22 Jul 2009 11:11

Yeah Red!

Thanks for the Photos.

Can't wait to see the footage!
Chase Card-Burns

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 22 Jul 2009 21:45

Thanks for the nice words guys! Chase, look forward to seeing you back in Portland ; )

Regarding the question Ken posted, the Shredders were not really allowed to be a part of the 'Casual Kicker' competitions. Those were for the public, and beginners essentially. If you put the professional level or even high level intermediates in those events, they would crush it. Last Kicker Standing would go on forever, and all newcomers would be edged out of the 5 Minute Timed Consecutive Kick. The Shredders have a good deal of events to compete in as it is, we are trying to cater to the casual/beginner/spectator scene as well by offering something they can not only compete in, but do well in too. One goal of Johnny and I is to have the US Open be all inclusive, whatever skill level or discipline a player is bringing! Again, good to see you at the event, look forward to having you back next year!
Thanks,
Red