Vegas Jam 2011

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
CJ
Hack Fiend

Post by CJ » 01 Apr 2011 17:48

I had so much fun at this jam. There were a bunch of people there that I hadn't had the pleasure to hang out with much or at all before, so it was really cool getting to know some more footbaggers, and getting to know others more.

I'll post some photos etc on FB when I get the chance, but thought I'd just write a few words about my experience here.

I've been playing lots of footbag lately, so I arrived expecting my game to be better than usual. Alas, it was nothing too special and I don't have much to report about it. I was happy with a few strings, but they were few and far between.

I was incredibly impressed though at everyone else's playing! Impressed by the skill of the players I hadn't seen before, and amazed at the improvements of one's I had. Really, it still just blows my mind.

On the topic of improvement, I'm awarding top prize to Steve Goldberg. He was saying that he's been playing heaps and it's obviously paying off. His game is looking fantastic - and so is he! And he also gets a shout out for providing one of the best views of Vegas from his hotel room.

The other incredible view I had of Vegas was from the top of the Stratosphere tower. Tom, Drew and I went on the Big Shot while we were up there:

"Strap into the Big Shot and prepare to be shot 160 feet in the air at 45 miles per hour as you overlook the majestic Las Vegas Valley. In a matter of seconds, the Big Shot thrill ride catapults 16 riders from the 921-foot high platform up the Tower's mast to a height of 1,081 feet and down again. Before you catch your breath, you'll be shot back up again at forces unmatched by other Vegas thrill parks! Experience a gut-wrenching four 'G's of force on the way up, and feel negative 'G's on the way down as your legs dangle in the Las Vegas skyline."

Tom and I also did the X-Scream. If you love a thrill - give it a try when you're next in Vegas.

I got to see the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty too (who needs Paris or New York). I missed seeing the Bellagio fountain shows last year when I was in Vegas, so I was stoked to see a couple of those too.

The Fremont Street Experience was fun too (the second time). Watching the huge light show was pretty unforgettable.

Saturday night Rio Carnival buffet was also an experience. I loved the signage - "Where moderation is for wimps" - very fitting (for all of Vegas actually).

Gambling-wise, I had a close-to-even experience. Standard. Can't win much, but can't lose much either - so probably should be happy enough wtih that. I nearly hit a jackpot though - oh, wait - that was Evan :lol: (footage available on FB by Nucleus Footwear).

All in all, an awesome week!! I wasn't planning on writing this much, but now it seems like I've left a lot out...

Feels like I should have included some more personal shout-outs too. Knowing I'm leaving too many out, here's a few:
Evan - for being an awesomely laid-back host, making this whole thing possible, and simply being one of the best footbaggers I've had the privilege to hang out with.
Amber, Autumn, Tim and Jeremy (the family and local crew) - for being such good sports while we all intruded on your lives for a week/end. And Cooper - for being one of the coolest 4 year olds I've ever met.
Tom - for driving me everywhere random I wanted to go, sharing the thrill of the rides, and being an all-round awesome guy.
Kevin - for the constant laughs.
Jay - for being a shredding machine.
Queency (and the rest of the black-and-white shoe crew) - for sponsoring and all being awesomely fun.

Damn... I'm really wanting to write more - yep, there's more - but I've got to leave it at that for now.

So, once again, thanks to each and everyone involved in the jam. You all made it an unforgettable experience. (It was only the insanely cheap alcohol that made some parts of it rather fuzzy... :wink:)
♫ Caroline Birch ♫

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 02 Apr 2011 10:53

I had heaps of fun as well. Vegas was beautiful; it's city lights and weather surreal. Can't wait to come back next year.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87