Dear Europe, I want to live in you.

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
jay7
Flower Child

Dear Europe, I want to live in you.

Post by jay7 » 27 Aug 2012 08:02

........................................................................Greetings Europe!

................................................Image

I am here to ask of you, a giant favour. Now that I am graduated, I desire to move to another land, and have realized that it will take the help of fellow footbaggers to accomplish this goal. My ideal countries to move to are the sultry Austria, the decadent Germany, neutral Switzerland, the indispensable Denmark, suomi FINLAND. I am only an English, and German speaker, so, German, or German-esque speaking countries are preferred. However, an exception goes to Finland, because Finland. I speak bits of many languages, and have interest in them all, so other countries certainly aren't excluded.

I realize moving to Europe is not an immediate task, neither is it one easily accomplished. I'll need help getting a job, which is the most important thing in making it a safe decision to uproot myself and cross the Atlantic. As for the type of job, I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and have done automotive exhaust work, which involves welding and machine shop skills. I also have built my own sauna, so wood working is also not excluded. An engineering job isn't required, but I would prefer one due to my degree being the most internationally understood proof of skill. However, if you have another recommendation, I'll take it.

........................................................................Any city size is perfect.

For the upstanding citizen who can help me move to Europe, I offer :arrow: 1 shred partner, free self-made footbags for as long as I'm there, friend favours, frequent baked goods and eternal love. So, if you wouldn't hate for me to play in your country, I beg of you to ask your Dad, post on your facebook wall, or assemble a group of school children with flyers in your neighborhood. My goal is to be there within a year, but ideally in 8 months. If it so happens that there is a job starting in January, I'll take it.

Honestly, it would make my life, to be able to live in Europe and finally go to a Todexon. Any possible help will be appreciated, and wont go unnoticed.

........................................................................Thank you
Jay Boychuk

Forestall
Shredalicious

Re: Dear Europe, I want to live in you.

Post by Forestall » 29 Aug 2012 01:27

Start getting into video games like crazy and join us at the hot spot of Europe at Berlin?

http://www.wooga.com/jobs/
-Mikko Lepisto-

www.pipi.fi

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 29 Aug 2012 14:32

Well if my experience is anything to go by, here's what I suggest you do:

1. Money. Save as much money as you can before the move. Set-up costs are always underestimated. Try and get an idea of what you'll need to survive the first couple of months. A car? 3 months rent? 1 month rent deposit? Plane tickets of course. Immigration fees? Visas costs? etc. etc. Also, you want to find an affordable appartment somewhere, how is the property market in the cities you are targetting? What type of rent are you looking at for a studio or shared 2 bedroom?

2. Sort out your visa before you go. I'm French so unsure what the visa and work restrictions are for non EU citizens, but I imagine that they're like everywhere else: pretty strict. How can you apply for teh right to work? Do you have skills taht are indemand in the target countries? Is there a standard immigration process? If you're young (say under 30 or 25) is there a work-holiday deal that allows to work in EU for a year? This step will be costly both in time (our bureaucraties are no better than anywhere else) and money. Start googling and find official immigration information. Go to loccal embassies in your home country if you can.

3. Once there what do you do? Depending on how much you saved up in step 1 and on your work rights (step 2). I'd usually try and find a job to get some minimal cash inflows. That could pay rent etc. That couldbe cleaning dishes, serving beers or whatever.

Once you've got all that sorted out you can use your free time to actually look for a job you want. Depending on what kind of job and which country you are in this may be easy, difficult or downright impossible!

Short Version: Save a LOT of cash (about twice what you think you'll need). Get your work visas sorted out (this can take months). And just GO! You won't regret it.
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 30 Aug 2012 12:15

Good advice from Max. I second the whole "get your visas sorted out before going" advice too. If you're moving with your gf, and she's not european, you won't have the option of marrying into citizenship. I'm not sure how the economy is doing in all the nations you listed, but if jobs are scarce for natives, you can bet it'll be harder for immigrants like yourself unless you have very specific skills.

Out of curiosity, why Europe? I can understand the desire to move to a new place after graduating from school, and I know the shred scene is better there, but it also seems like moving there adds a lot of logistical challenges to an already challenging phase of your life. If your girlfriend spoke the language, or if you were going by yourself, I'd be a lot more behind your move. It just seems like in today's economy it'll be hard to find work (for both of you), much less in a different language, much less somewhere you'll need a visa. That said, I always encourage people to push their boundaries and experience other countries and cultures, so I'm crossing my fingers you'll be able to pull it off.

Give me a call sometime if you want to talk more.

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 30 Aug 2012 17:23

Greetings Gentlemen,

Dr. Mikko,

Sadly, my past time of watching people play video games wouldn't satisfy any video game employer. Shucks, if only I kept playing after Counter Strike 1.6 :( ... Thanks though :P

Sir Max.

The money issue, is definitely a good reminder. You are completely right that upon moving, things cost more than you anticipate. I'm sure moving continents easily doubles such an experience, so thanks for that. I'm also 100% into sorting out my visa before I go. I wouldn't go and hope to have that work out, or for example, if I got it, but my girlfriend didn't... That would cause some issues. I'll likely have to venture to an embassy, or call one if it is in Canada's capital or something.

3.) I assumed that it would be too risky to go, without work. This has to do with a VISA situation, which I'll type about in response to Ken's post. A question for you will also follow.

Lord Ken.

Fortunately, Germany and Austria both have an engineer deficit at the moment. Both Austria and Germany are offering 'programs' of sorts to help out "skilled" workers to come into the country, and both list Engineers. Austria actually suspects an engineer deficit for 10+ years. My German research shows that, if you have a job lined up, you can get an indefinite residence permit so long as you have the job. In this case, I'm extremely fortunate, compared to both of your assumptions, thank moses. Pure luck :) .. A newly graduated Engineer with less than 3 years work experience might not be as highly demanded, but, I might have a slightly easier time than if I was a historian, for example...

///// Long winded explanation, ahead.
There are a few reasons for Europe. One, is that my year abroad in Germany, has had me begging to go back ever since I left. I still dream of it, I still carry traditions that exist there and not in Canada, and I still try and use the language. Travel is something I'm extremely interested in, and, I think I've been to San Francisco 9 times already, NYC 10+ times, PA 5+ times, Texas 15+ times, Florida 3+ times, Idaho twice, Portland Twice, San Diego / LA, Vegas 4 times, Chicago 4 times, Kentucky 2 times, Hawaii twice, etc.. etc... I'm certainly not "done" the USA, but travel here is more expensive, and, forget about trying to Travel in Canada. You might as well pay burrowing costs, and it'd likely be cheaper than flying. Versus, if I lived in say Vienna. I could play with Milan in a 5 hour drive, Tina in a 6 hour drive, Vasek in a 4 hour drive, Anssi in a 2 hour flight, Juho in a 2 hour flight + mini flight, I could easily do a weekend romantic getaway in Venice by train, I could see Greece for the hell of it, and make any tournament I wanted without taking time off work.

Now, Travel is something you don't do 350 days a year. So, why else? I find I'm much less frustrated in Europe. When an item on a menu is 2 euros, you take out a 2 euro coin and that is it. Paying 2 euros and 14 cents because of taxes that weren't advertised in cost, is just.. In my opinion, annoying. I know this isn't a big deal, but, I find that *especially in Finland* these type of things add up. For someone who enjoys complaining, I find myself complaining much, much less in Europe. Also, if I'm to have a child one day, the social systems in Europe are such that I would like to raise the little bastard. Things like no student debt, are just, legendary, in comparison to having to save my entire life in case my kid is smart enough to go to a really good school. As a potential parent, these types of luxuries are something I value. Having Sunday's guaranteed off work, so that you can't even go out and buy a couch, is some how really appealing, and relaxing in my mind, because you set aside that day to do something more fundamental. Now that I'm living with my girlfriend, these types of things are really starting to show their value in my mind.

Also, my girlfriend wishes to do a masters, or other education. Social assistance + parental assistance here, are out the window once she gets her degree in 8 months. However, in Europe, as a foreigner, it is almost 10x less the cost to keep studying. Purely for financial school reasons, this seems nice. Student benefits are also 10x higher in Europe than in Canada, and, this also in effect, could save money.

Maybe I should have just called you. Thanks for your support in trying something difficult though :)
///////

The comment I have for Ken/Max, is that the VISA I'd be interested in applying for, due to the engineer deficit, is a work visa specifically.. And, that requires a job first. For some reason, especially with a girlfriend, it seems very risky to move countries without a job...
Jay Boychuk

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 31 Aug 2012 06:03

My advice would repeat a lot of what is above. As someone who moved countries with no job and no money, I would definitely recommend having a job already and plenty of money.

For the engineering jobs, I would try and get in touch with the unions or associations of engineers. Look for some contacts, also go to the embassies for each country in Canada and see if they can offer you some advice or assistance. You could also try and get a job in a multinational company, then look for a transfer. That way, they may even pay for your costs if you are a great asset to the company.

How is your girlfriend's German/other languages? It could become more difficult for her if you have a strong level and she is just beginning. Of course, there is still plenty of time to learn before you go.

I would be just trying to make as many contacts as you can and hope for the best. Having the visa tied to a job would also mean that if you hate it and want to quit, you are trapped, unless you can get a new job to switch the visa. If you don't already have something lined up, and have enough money saved, I would recommend going for a working holiday visa, then trying to get something that you can extend your stay with.

I think Vienna would be a great city to live in too. I had a great time staying there.

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 31 Aug 2012 11:59

Jay, what I did the first 2 times in Germany with my Variety contracts (the contracts weren't actually needed, I just didn't want to pay the visa fee lol)
was do the Youth Mobility Visa. The German consulate is 2 Bloor St E in Toronto.

Check out the FAQ and see what you think: http://www.canada.diplo.de/Vertretung/k ... __yma.html
It's something that could even be done while Michelle is still in school. You can tour around, work wherever, build contacts, impress employers with your German speaking, then try to sell them on you to give you an official contract so you could come for real-sies. With some research you could probably find which cities/companies have engineer shortages and exploit that.

Might as well do it first where you can build experience and still have nothing to lose!

~ Jorden
Jorden Moir

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 02 Sep 2012 21:04

Hi Jay,

I think Max's advice is good, especially the money part. I came to Japan 7 years ago with 5000 us dollars, and it lasted about 3 months. Granted, Japan is very expensive and I was spending more than I should have, however when you aren't working and in a foreign country, money goes fast.

I think another thing that would help is to look online for jobs. I'm not sure of any sites for Europe, but Japan has a couple sites where you can look for a variety of jobs. One of them is for university teaching of English, and the site is available through an association for university language teachers in Japan. My point is that it would be good to find either a union or some sort of association, if there are any, and search around for jobs. Once you find them, APPLY. When I look for work here in Japan, I apply to all of the places that I can, even if I think they are way out of my league; you never know what will happen until you try. I get rejected many times, but it only takes one application to get accepted. That being said, I would make sure your CV is up to date and ready to fire off to places that are hiring. The sooner you start applying, the better your chances are of getting hired. Of course, this is coming from my English teaching background in Japan, which is most likely different than the field of engineering in Europe...

Another thing which I am sure you are aware of is your gf. It was hard enough surviving in Japan for 3 months on my own, let alone if I had to worry about my gf. I slept at random friends' houses multiple times before I secured a place and a job, and that would have been impossible with a gf with me. That is just me though. I'm not saying break up or anything like that, but I think it will be much more difficult with two people than one.

I wish you the best of luck; moving to a foreign country was the best thing I have ever done in my life. Except for maybe starting to kick the sack.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson