US Open 2013 June 29-30th

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
Kenar
Hack Fiend

Re: US Open 2013 June 29-30th

Post by Kenar » 02 Jul 2013 22:16

Thanks to Justin, Reilley, and the Rain City Shred for hosting the Open. I had a great time. I was a little disappointed, however, that there weren't enough people for the Intermediate Freestyle Event. Come on, folks, I know there are a lot of you out there waiting to get good enough for the Open Freestyle event -- why not get some experience and compete in the Intermediate level? Maybe next year you will come out and beat this old man at freestyle. Thanks, Justin, for letting me do my routine as an exhibition and all the folks encouraging me, even when I dropped the bag. This event keeps me going and learning -- slow, but sure. See you next year!!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Jul 2013 06:57

First off, big thank you and props to Justin Dale and Rain City Shred for hosting such a great event. As Jon noted, Justin faced an abnormal level of adversity to get it done this year, so extra props to him for pushing through. As a competitor I really appreciated the venue, the fact that events ran on schedule, and also a ton of small details. I'll write more about those in my blog.
Outsider wrote: But, what happened to Flash Gordon? Did he scratch after day one? Flash, I love ya man, but, you did seem like you were just messing around with your first-round routine --- I figured you might be saving the good stuff for Finals... what happened?
Flash doesn't check Modified much, so I'll field this one. Flash came into the tournament healthy, and we got to play a bit on Day 1. He didn't plan on competing in Circle, but he did have a routine prepared for Finals. His first round routine though was entirely improvised. At the player party on Saturday night apparently Flash tried some yoga position which ended up popping something in his knee, and on Sunday it still didn't feel right. So unfortunately he scratched from routines (he ended up judging them). Really crappy luck.

Thanks also to everybody who filmed routines. It was nice to not have to worry about that as I was competing, and I appreciated getting to watch everybody's stuff later.

I'll do my best to do a write up today.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 09 Jul 2013 13:28

Pushing out a pretty extensive write up in my blog.

flash
Shredalicious

Post by flash » 10 Jul 2013 08:36

Hey all,

Congratulations to Ken and Nick and all the other competitors for doing such a great job. Also many thanks to Justin and RCS for making it happen.

As for me, Ken's account is pretty accurate. Although I likely wouldn't have realistically challenged for the title. Whatever I did, it hasn't really gotten any better.
After 14 years of competitive footbag, I'm not sure I owe anybody an explanation for my withdrawal.
Gordon Scott Bevier

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 03 Sep 2013 07:38

I will not be hosting US Open 2014 and I am retiring from footbag competition.
Justin Dale
Videos

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Sep 2013 08:27

8O

Bad and worse news. All I can say is thank you for hosting USO 2013; I thought it was a really well done tournament. As for competition, it was always an honor and a pleasure competing against you. Actually let's amend that to something more accurate; it was always a challenge, and often a scary one, competing against you. Especially in Circles. I hope I'll still see you at footbag tournaments and elsewhere, and that you continue to shred hard.

xsisbest
Shredaholic

Post by xsisbest » 14 Sep 2013 21:04

Wow.. This is shocking and unexpected news. I greatly appreciate as well the efforts in putting on the 2013 us championships and can only hope someone will grab the reigns for 2014. Thanks for all you have done for footbag and I hope it's not as final as i'm done.. The fad these days is to come out of retirement so I hope to hear that news soon!
A dream becomes a goal when action is taken towards it's achievement