US Open 2013 June 29-30th

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
bustinjustin
Fearless

US Open 2013 June 29-30th

Post by bustinjustin » 04 Feb 2013 19:51

Image Image

What: 2013 US Open is official. http://www.footbag.org/events/show/1360305756

When: June 29th and 30th

Where: Washington Athletic Club, Seattle WA https://www.wac.net/
The Event site is officially locked in. We will be using a half basketball court (much like GreenCup) inside on the 8th floor of the WAC. Amenities will include the basketball court, racquet ball court (place for routine prep), extra multipurpose room, Cafe (on the 8th floor) which features: Custom sandwiches, wraps, salads… or smoothies, frozen yogurt, assorted drinks, etc and takes cash or credit. Some snacks like bananas and energy food will be provided along with water. We will be allowed the use of locker rooms and showers. They also would love our patronage at the bar on the 1st floor when our events are done or whenever.

Hotel:
I have listed 3 options:
1. The Comfort Inn: http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-seattle ... =gglocaloz
This hotel has the desired amenities: free hot breakfast, hot tub, wifi.
It is located on 137th and Aurora. This is very close to where I live on 130th so we can party and shred at my shred quarters or the hotel after hours if we want. You can take 1 bus ride to the event as well, which takes 30-45 minutes (I take it to work everyday). By car, it's about 15 minutes away from the event site.
Rates: For a standard King room its $95.99 for the weekdays and $105.99 for the weekend. For a 2 queen bed room it's $99.99 weekdays and $109.99 weekends (which is for 2 people). They do add on 10 dollars per person if 4 people want to room together for a total of $129.99 for the weekend. Still a fantastic rate and just don't tell them you are bunking 4 to a room and save 20 bucks.
I have to block 10 rooms to get a discount which I don't see being the case so these are just the normal rates, no "key" phrase is necessary. Just book, and book early, as I've mentioned before this is the busy season so it's first come first serve. They also mentioned if you have AAA you get a %10 discount.

2. The WAC will also be used as a host hotel.

The best ways to make reservations for the host hotel:

· Email innreservations@wac.net

· Call toll free to 800.275.3775

Please have them request the US Footbag Social Pricing rate in order to receive their discounted rate.

Pricing
2 Queen bed room: $194
Single Queen bed room: $174

The rep also mentioned:
Please explain that they should probably use one card per room and can split the charge upon check out if they are sharing.
Less confusing :)

3. You can also check out one of Seattle's hostels the Green Tortoise if you need another economical option. It is located just a few blocks from the event side nestled in the Pike Place Market: http://www.greentortoise.net/

Lastly, I am more than happy to put a room on my card for people wanting to stay in the host hotel and go through me. Please PM me and get a group of 4 together. Or if I get 4 PM's from people saying they want to stay in a hotel, I'll make it happen.
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

I would like to invite anyone that wants to come early or stay late can stay with me, I will host and take work off. Shoot me a PM and reserve your spot early.

Schedule:
Friday:
7:00ish pm Party at RCS Shredquarters (13201 Linden Ave N, Seattle, WA 98133)
A time for everyone to get acquainted, wrap up any last minute registration stuff and prep time for me. Bring shred gear and swim shorts, It's a
pool/shred/pizza party y'all.

Saturday:
1:00 Players meeting

1:30 Intermediate Routines and circle contest

2:00 Sick 3

2:30 Open/Womens Routines

3:30 Open/Womens Circle Contest

Player Party TBD

Sunday:
1:00 Novice kicking competition

1:30 Routine Finals

2:15 Circle Finals

3:00 unofficial events (Request, Rippin, Sick Trick, Whatever)

4:00? Awards Ceremony/Wrap up

6:00 Dinner

Who:
Confirmed Players (so far):
Allan Haggett
Matt Emmings
Ken Somolinos
Nate Linscott
Antonio Pirrotta
Rory Dawson
Chris Dean
Jim Penske (Probably - defend yo title son!)
Cali Crew:
Dustin Rhodes
Brian Sherrill
Alex Dworetsky (maybe)
Steve Goldberg
Ken Moller
Larry Workman
Aaron Doner
Anton Britting
Sunny Genz
Daryl Genz
Maybe's
Evan Gatesman
Jeff Mudd
Hanna Mickiewicz
Alex Zerbe
Nathan Pipenberg
Joe Karasek
Joseph Michels
Taylor Hamilton (win bingo)
Gordon Bevier
Warren Allen (Seattle)
Justin Blotsky (Seattle)
Justin Stephens (Seattle)
Johnny Trevino (Seattle)
Scott Behmer (Seattle)
Sam Potter (Seattle)

Most Likely list:
Portland Crew
Last edited by bustinjustin on 11 Jun 2013 09:14, edited 13 times in total.
Justin Dale
Videos

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: US Open 2013

Post by C-Fan » 04 Feb 2013 20:45

For me, it's tough to get time off in general. So the further USO is from Worlds, the better for me. It's hard to justify taking off consec weekends from work, and not easy flying coast to coast during that either. So I'd vote for June, or even May. I also think that the distance/cost to get from Seattle to Montreal doesn't make it that much of an option for the Euro players to combine the trips, but that's more their call. Still, I'd be surprised if somebody decides to combine the trips because they're on the same continent...same coast maybe, but I think this is a stretch.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 08 Feb 2013 18:42

Thanks Ken, you basically reiterated everything I had been thinking.
Update: I turned in the park event permit today for June 29-30th. Should have official news next week.
Justin Dale
Videos

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 13 Feb 2013 08:39

Let us know when the dates are official, and I'll do my utmost to come.

What events are happening btw?

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 13 Feb 2013 14:08

those dates sound great! it seems so soon, gotta start thinking about routines for this summer.
i would like to extend my trip this year (last year was fun but too short), something like come early on a weds or thurs, and leave on monday or tuesday.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 13 Feb 2013 16:23

C-Fan wrote:What events are happening btw?
This will to some extent rely on attendance and interest, but we'll for sure run:
  • Open Singles Routines
  • Intermediate Singles Routines
  • Open Circle Contest
  • Intermediate Circle Contest
  • Open Request Contest
It would be helpful to know who all is interested in ancillary events such as Open Shred 30, Open Sick 3, or Open Big 1.

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 13 Feb 2013 18:47

I, like brian, am also hoping to extend my trip this year. Last year was to short.

I will compete in open routines, open circle, open request, and would be very happy if open shred 30 was an option. routines and shred 30 will be the ones I will be trying to prepare for worlds and this would be a great warm up. I suck at sick 3 and 1 so don't care if those are offered :)
Dustin Rhodes

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 14 Feb 2013 08:10

I like all the events proposed. The only one that really matters to me is open routines, but I think doing circle is important too. The other events sound fun, but if time/attendance doesn't allow, I'm fine not doing them. Shred30 takes a long time to tabulate, so that's really a decision for the organizers.

Thanks again to RCS for taking on the task this year. I'm excited for it already!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 01 Mar 2013 08:16

Have dates been locked in? I'd like to buy tickets soon, and ask for the time off work.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 04 Mar 2013 20:12

We're locked in, booyakasha! Check the first post, will be editing with updated regularly from here forward.
Justin Dale
Videos

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: US Open 2013 June 29-30th

Post by C-Fan » 04 Mar 2013 22:01

Thanks Justin! 95% sure I can go. I'll try and lock up tickets this weekend.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 05 Mar 2013 12:28

What's the likelihood for rain in Seattle that time of year? On a related note, is there an indoor backup site in case of rain?

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 05 Mar 2013 14:00

I'm getting really excited for this event! This is looking to be really great! I met with the managers for my ideal location for Saturday's events, going in with low expectations. Looks like it will be a slam dunk. It will be at a gym basketball court with access to locker rooms and showers and extra shred space for warm up, routine prep, etc. They are going to charge me a flat rate and allow any and all to come in. With this in place, I can set both event sites for Saturday and Sunday and the host hotel all within WALKING distance of everything. You will be set in the heart of Seattle, easy access to shops, food, bar hopping, etc.
Saturday will be at an indoor location while Sunday is set for outdoors. I will set up a back up plan to use the indoor location for Sunday should the weather be unplayable. Here is a link to Seattle weather averages http://www.seattle.gov/html/weather_averages.htm
As you can see in the link, Seattle is pretty crappy Jan-June but in July everything changes and Seattle becomes amazing. We will be right on the cusp of that great weather, so fingers crossed, though we will be prepared for anything. More updates to come including lodging, sanctioning, schedule, and potential DJ's for the event.
Justin Dale
Videos

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 05 Mar 2013 14:10

bustinjustin wrote: Looks like it will be a slam dunk. It will be at a gym basketball court More updates to come including lodging, sanctioning, schedule, and potential DJ's for the event.
Slam dunk? Basketball court?!?! SANCTIONING!?!? I can totally picture myself there already, with my date. I bet it'll look like this:

Look how happy I am!!!

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 05 Mar 2013 16:11

Good work, homey.

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 06 Mar 2013 18:44

Made a totally amateur move. Here's what's going on. I got the final paperwork from the parks dept. I signed it and told them to charge it with a few adjustments to bring the price down, and which time I went official. The guy has been jerking me around a lot and seemingly does not want our business. I have not been able to finalize the paper work and I don't think I want to work with these people. The good news is the venue I have lined up for Saturday I can also schedule for Sunday and get both days for the cost the parks dept. wanted me to pay for one day. It's a better venue too, more amenities, indoors, and they wont hassle me about banners and sound equipment. The one caveat is I need a member of that gym to sponsor me. I've spent all day trying to get that done with no success.
Last night I sent out some personal invites and many people got back to me stating that the 29-30th doesn't work for them but they are free any other weekend in June. With an indoor location on the horizon I don't have to worry about weather and can schedule the event any weekend. I may be moving the event back one weekend to the 22nd 23rd. It's early enough since my announcement that I don't think I will be upsetting anyone's plans and I don't think anyone has gotten tickets yet, but I sure do feel like an ass-hat right now.
I am hoping to have all this sorted out by tomorrow. Let me know if the date change is an epic fail. Otherwise I am hoping to make a re-announced re-official post by Friday. Sorry peeps.
Justin Dale
Videos

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 06 Mar 2013 19:29

Wow. I asked for those dates off from work today, and I was about to buy tickets online for my flights...when my girlfriend told me she'd feel better if she asked for the time off tomorrow. Based on that, I decided to postpone buying my flights til tomorrow.

Check me out:

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 07 Mar 2013 09:01

Thanks Ken, disaster averted. I'm doing my best and trying to keep everyone informed. Much to my relief I will not be changing the dates.
Justin Dale
Videos

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 07 Mar 2013 09:05

Thanks for all your hard work on this. Should we go ahead and buy flights for the weekend of June 29th then, or should we hold off a little longer?

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 11 Mar 2013 15:31

Update, the venue and dates are locked in. Getting pumped. Keep an eye on the top post for updates.
Justin Dale
Videos