NYFA Worlds 2014 Bid

Post your tournaments, events, destinations and regular local sessions.
yyz
Multidex Master

NYFA Worlds 2014 Bid

Post by yyz » 19 Jan 2014 08:37

THIS IS WHAT I JUST GOT FROM THE WOC OF TH IFPA: Hello,

on behalf of Worlds Operating Committee I have to inform you that
NYFA has not been awarded 2014 Annual IFPA World Footbag Championships.

The venues proposed in your bid seem not to meet our expectations.

We do respect you motivation and commitment, but without a solid local team
and fast communication,
it seems really hard to handle such a big event as Worlds. It is definitely
possible to organize this tournament
In New York City in the future, but we need support from all local
footbaggers.

Please keep building the NY Footbag scene and host smaller events in the
next years.

Best regards,

Wiktor Dębski
Worlds Operating Committee
IFPA Executive Director
see ya ted f

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: worlds 2014

Post by C-Fan » 19 Jan 2014 09:33

Rather misleading thread title. People open this hoping to find out where Worlds 2014 will be held...not where it WON'T be held. :?

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 20 Jan 2014 05:33

Is it possible to infer that if they rejected someone, that means someone else has a better offer?
Jay Boychuk

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 20 Jan 2014 12:40

Possibly.
Anyway, props to NYFA for making the bid.
Really props to anybody who makes a bid, since its so much work involved.
I just hope that Worlds happens this year.
Shame I probably can't go regardless of where it is. :(

Allan

Re: NYFA Worlds 2014 Bid

Post by Allan » 20 Jan 2014 13:36

Updated with a sensible title. Sheesh.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 21 Jan 2014 14:52

Dan Boyle had this idea in his blog, which I thought bore repeating here:
boyle wrote: If people are concerned about USO not happening, and New York's ability to hold a major event, then the USO should be there.
Is that a possibility? I've heard whispers of USO maybe happening in Portland again, but would NYC consider hosting a USO?

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 22 Jan 2014 09:51

I cannot speak for all of the NYC footbag community, but I am one member of that community.

Speaking just for myself, I consider the East Coast Footbag Championships to be a higher priority for me, and, for the past two years, the New York City footbag community has focused on ECFC as the local premier event. East Coast Footbag Championships has an unbroken streak of more than 30 years in a row, hosting freestyle and net... With the Funtastik Summer Classic event officially retired, I'd hate to see ECFC's long run come to a close too...
Last edited by Outsider on 22 Jan 2014 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 22 Jan 2014 11:15

It seems to me that ECFC could play host to the US Championships, since in that case the U.S. champ would be de facto ECFC champ.

Regardless of where USO or ECFC is held, I think it's important that both the West Coast and the East Coast have a large summer/fall tournament that's based mostly around holding good comps. I'm not sure that having USO in NYC would draw a bigger number of players than East Coasts, as having USO in the PacNW hasn't typically drawn a lot of east coasters that way.

yyz
Multidex Master

Post by yyz » 25 Jan 2014 05:36

I was forwarded this from and executive with the IFPA
I am the Director of Sales for Destination Worcester. Destination Worcester was created to attract meetings, events, conferences and trade shows to the City. At no cost, I help event planners to secure hotel, event and meeting space in the City. We are not a membership organization so we have no vested interest in which Worcester hotel, event, meeting space or vendor(s) is picked. Our goal is to match event needs with available space / resources and make it easy for events to come to Worcester. I also assist with City permits and special requests. Again my services are free.

Worcester, located in central Massachusetts, has a population of over 182,000 with more than six million people living within a 50-mile radius. The second-largest city in New England, Worcester is an hour west of Boston and north of Providence, RI. A five-time recipient of the All-America City Award, Worcester combines the historic charm of a small town with the convenience of a thriving metropolitan city. Our central location to Massachusetts and all of New England makes Worcester an ideal location for meetings and events.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Would the Boston crew be able to maintain a local presence here??? If so maybe we can bring ECFC there and do the USO in NYC??? What say all of you??
see ya ted f

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 28 Jan 2014 01:22

Hey guys I just saw this thread. US Open (Freestyle + Net) is happening in Portland this summer, thanks Ted for emailing Sole Purpose earlier to find out and to let me know about this discussion. I'll have details soon.

If you have East Coast Championships I will also try my best to make it out here.
chris dean

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 28 Jan 2014 01:51

And yes I want to echo the fact that both coasts need major tournaments, regardless of what we call each one. Since we don't see much crossover, the distinction is meaningless as long as we have these major championships for both the main US regions.
chris dean