I missed the action! How did this all start?

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
mattkain
Multidex Master

I missed the action! How did this all start?

Post by mattkain » 24 Mar 2005 19:20

For those that missed the epic flame war and are wondering how it all started (sadly many of the posts have been edited and/or deleted... and no Zeke, I will not be posting THAT picture any more. Happy, Damon? Cameron?) here is the post that started it all. As we all know I take extreme issue with the use of "gay" as an insult or as having an implied negative connotation (but let's not beat a dead horse, this is an issue that a whole generation needs to tackle). Nonetheless, I think there is some interesting stuff here that shouldn't be extirpated from the boards with a simple click (note: this is an edited and less offensive version than the original which implied that certain members of the footbag community are gay pedophiles. Eric edited the post four times down to a less offensive version before finally deleting it. The original was sadly not stored in my disk cache):

Text version:
Wicked wrote: Okay this is going to be pretty off topic as it has nothing to do with modified but here we go anyway,

I use to play Hack everyday at school. There would be like 15 people playing on the grass in the park, and since we had an open campus for lunch we weren't restricted from going out. It was only the dead heads though who played back then... (everyone was in seperate clicks like gangsters, stoners, preps, jocks, metal heads, ravers, etc.) Now everyone looks the same... anyway, The people who played hack then were into the greatful dead and all that shit and it was a more peacful vibe than anything else..... I went through all of high school not once hearing the word footbag and there was no internet. So basically everyone sucked, but ignorance was bliss. I went to Torrance high where they film a ton of T.V. shows (buffy, 90210, alot of teen crap) and quite a few movies. Im sure you've seen it before.. It has that old architecture with spanish tilings and palm trees all around making it look very good for movies. We use to hate when people would film there though cuz they would block us off from sections of our own campus which were of course the coolest parts.

Other than that high school ruled, but i wasn't too into the work. I would tell anybody to do good in high school now just because from what i hear it makes it easier (actually it only matters if you get a scholarship from my findings)...

I have a high school diploma and without money or a scholarship it isn't worth jack shit!!!!!!!

If your NOT getting a scholarship there is no difference between a G.E.D. and a high school diploma. Basically, getting C's in high school is as worthless as getting strait F's unless you have rich parents... If your going to do good in high school go all the way and get strait A's. If your going to do poorly just get strait F's and get the G.E.D. Oh yea also, If your parents are poor your fucked either way unless you get the damn scholarship. This has always been my dilema in life... High school diploma but no college with poor parents.. Now im stuck working bullshit jobs trying to pay $700 a month rent while trying to make a living off monsterhack which makes about 10 bucks a week or so. Really I should be in school full time but i have to pay the rent and work all these stupid jobs.. Its like an endless cycle... I have way to much A.D.D. to do both work and school at the same time . And since I dont live with my mommy like some people at the age of 27 I cant afford to skrew off all day either or else i WOULD go back to school.

Basically, if you fail in school life will be hell, unless you want to live with your parents forever. If you get a fancy degree you will probably quit footbag anyway because your carrer will take over and if it doesn't what was the point anyway?. From what ive seen in footbag, its best to say screw everything and play constantly and live with your parents until your 40, because basically there is no life in footbag. Meaning, you cannot make a living playing the game. (and who wants to stitch hundreds of bags a day?) Being a pro in footbag is completely worthless unless your dreams and aspirations are to make your foot go around some beans or sand 5 or 6 times. Then, once you've hit a quintuplet or sextuplet dexterity, you will be 35 years old still living with your parents wondering where all the time went and your wallet will be empty. I doubt anybody would ever get this far in footbag while sustaining a real 40 hr a week job/career anyway...

So far the only people i see stick with footbag after age 25 and keep their games up are people who dont have much of a career outside footbag. Its really sad.

I wish footbag was more popular because all these people "ruining" their lives should have a life. Its enough to make me want to quit this sport all together and do someing equally as fun yet has some sort of promise.
There are absolutely no promises in footbag and it is really lame..... Yea you keep in shape, but people do that running in place. How fun is that?

Sorry this sounds so negative but please someone get footbag in the x-games or something or else im going to strait up quit playing. For me, the "wonder years" are over. I need something more tangible than just "I hit this move", "i hit that move" because everything has been hit already. Yea, Im down with the advancement of moves, but not down with no advancement in coolness or popularity.

There are no tournaments in california, no scene, no companys, no sponsors. There use to be alot of tournments here until everyone got too old and too much drama occured And our wonderful savior Steve Goldberg moved to Europe. Oh yea and ryan quit too.... I heard someone will be SHREDDING IT UP at X games next year. Dominating the world, he will hit a quantum nucleatide fairy ball scratcher on flat-land.

while im ranting, how can a person have so many "awards" in footbag yet suck at the game so badly....

Heres to all the poeple who dont have a fucking award in this bullshit yet shred the shit out those gay mother fuckers with awards and bullshit..... I dont give a fuck what they have done with stupid websites... Wheres the money at??? Where are all the chicks???

Im just gonna say Fuck it, Peace Out Footbag... To many short shorts, to much lameness. Not enough girls.. The tricks are all done.. Tricks of the Trade 2 looks gay and nerdy, Ritchie raised his price on me... Sorry to all the homies i met but, FUCK IT IM OUT!!!!!! In the words of ryan mulroney, I repeat, Footbag is gay.

Last edited by wicked on Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:50 am; edited 4 times in total
Last edited by mattkain on 24 Mar 2005 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

wicked
Fearless

Re: I missed the action! How did this all start?

Post by wicked » 24 Mar 2005 19:47

mattkain wrote:
Eric,

Please don't edit that post, it kicks too much ass as is.

MK

mattkain
Multidex Master

Re: I missed the action! How did this all start?

Post by mattkain » 24 Mar 2005 19:56

wicked wrote:
mattkain wrote:
Eric,

Please don't edit that post, it kicks too much ass as is.

MK
Yup, I stand by that. I still wish you wouldn't have edited and deleted it. I think that it's important to discuss the stereotypes and negativity surrounding footbag as well as some of the stark realism behind dedicating your life to pursuing palatial (or perhaps quixotic is more apropos?) goals within the sport. That's one of the problems with message foums - it's too easy to cover your tracks with the delete button (I'm guilty to, but I don't think anyone wants to see the pic that I deleted... I hope no one does.)

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 25 Mar 2005 07:25

yes! i was one of the few who read got to read the original post. that was seriously the best couple hours of my modified career
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 25 Mar 2005 08:07

haha Eric windsor and his Ghettoness. This game/sport isnt about making a fucking living. Its about having fun. Its not about fame. Again its about having FUN. If you dont have fun playing, dont play, if you have fun playing but think that having fun and enjoying yourself isnt a priority, then you are odd. Just because you think everyone is retarded for playing footbag doesnt mean that we/they have the same stance as you. Hobbies are for Hobbying. They are not for moneying. Some people make money on this sport, others dont, either way it doesnt matter. YOu are all worked up because

-there arent enough girls
-not enough money
-too much short shorts

It sounds like you (too much short shorts, too little girls)are just a horny bastard who cant do anything unless there are women.

Jim Jansen wrote:i meant this in a not negative way

Thanks Jim!

:roll:
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 25 Mar 2005 08:14

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Wicked
Okay this is going to be pretty off topic as it has nothing to do with modified but here we go anyway,

I use to play Hack everyday at school. There would be like 15 people playing on the grass in the park, and since we had an open campus for lunch we weren't restricted from going out. It was only the dead heads though who played back then... (everyone was in seperate clicks like gangsters, stoners, preps, jocks, metal heads, ravers, etc.) Now everyone looks the same... anyway, The people who played hack then were into the greatful dead and all that shit and it was a more peacful vibe than anything else..... I went through all of high school not once hearing the word footbag and there was no internet. So basically everyone sucked, but ignorance was bliss. I went to Torrance high where they film a ton of T.V. shows (buffy, 90210, alot of teen crap) and quite a few movies. Im sure you've seen it before.. It has that old architecture with spanish tilings and palm trees all around making it look very good for movies. We use to hate when people would film there though cuz they would block us off from sections of our own campus which were of course the coolest parts.

Other than that high school ruled, but i wasn't too into the work. I would tell anybody to do good in high school now just because from what i hear it makes it easier (actually it only matters if you get a scholarship from my findings)...

I have a high school diploma and without money or a scholarship it isn't worth jack shit!!!!!!!

If your NOT getting a scholarship there is no difference between a G.E.D. and a high school diploma. Basically, getting C's in high school is as worthless as getting strait F's unless you have rich parents... If your going to do good in high school go all the way and get strait A's. If your going to do poorly just get strait F's and get the G.E.D. Oh yea also, If your parents are poor your fucked either way unless you get the damn scholarship. This has always been my dilema in life... High school diploma but no college with poor parents.. Now im stuck working bullshit jobs trying to pay $700 a month rent while trying to make a living off monsterhack which makes about 10 bucks a week or so. Really I should be in school full time but i have to pay the rent and work all these stupid jobs.. Its like an endless cycle... I have way to much A.D.D. to do both work and school at the same time . And since I dont live with my mommy like some people at the age of 27 I cant afford to skrew off all day either or else i WOULD go back to school.

Basically, if you fail in school life will be hell, unless you want to live with your parents forever. If you get a fancy degree you will probably quit footbag anyway because your carrer will take over and if it doesn't what was the point anyway?. From what ive seen in footbag, its best to say screw everything and play constantly and live with your parents until your 40, because basically there is no life in footbag. Meaning, you cannot make a living playing the game. (and who wants to stitch hundreds of bags a day?) Being a pro in footbag is completely worthless unless your dreams and aspirations are to make your foot go around some beans or sand 5 or 6 times. Then, once you've hit a quintuplet or sextuplet dexterity, you will be 35 years old still living with your parents wondering where all the time went and your wallet will be empty. I doubt anybody would ever get this far in footbag while sustaining a real 40 hr a week job/career anyway...

So far the only people i see stick with footbag after age 25 and keep their games up are people who dont have much of a career outside footbag. Its really sad.

I wish footbag was more popular because all these people "ruining" their lives should have a life. Its enough to make me want to quit this sport all together and do someing equally as fun yet has some sort of promise.
There are absolutely no promises in footbag and it is really lame..... Yea you keep in shape, but people do that running in place. How fun is that?

Sorry this sounds so negative but please someone get footbag in the x-games or something or else im going to strait up quit playing. For me, the "wonder years" are over. I need something more tangible than just "I hit this move", "i hit that move" because everything has been hit already. Yea, Im down with the advancement of moves, but not down with no advancement in coolness or popularity.

There are no tournaments in california, no scene, no companys, no sponsors. There use to be alot of tournments here until everyone got too old and too much drama occured And our wonderful savior Steve Goldberg moved to Europe. Oh yea and ryan quit too.... I heard someone will be SHREDDING IT UP at X games next year. Dominating the world, he will hit a quantum nucleatide fairy ball scratcher on flat-land.

while im ranting, how can a person have so many "awards" in footbag yet suck at the game so badly....

Heres to all the poeple who dont have a fucking award in this bullshit yet shred the shit out those gay mother fuckers with awards and bullshit..... I dont give a fuck what they have done with stupid websites... Wheres the money at??? Where are all the chicks???

Im just gonna say Fuck it, Peace Out Footbag... To many short shorts, to much lameness. Not enough girls.. The tricks are all done.. Tricks of the Trade 2 looks gay and nerdy, Ritchie raised his price on me... Sorry to all the homies i met but, FUCK IT IM OUT!!!!!! In the words of ryan mulroney, I repeat, Footbag is gay.

Last edited by wicked on Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:50 am; edited 4 times in total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we should put this in the "Getting Started" section to inspire newbies (such as myself...i know it did the job for me! :D )
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 25 Mar 2005 08:48

Fuck adds!

Whoops - wrong topic.

No but seriously, Eric I feel your pain, maybe not the gay part, cause you're making fun of my short shorts, but I have a full time job and can't hit half the shit I see high schoolers hitting.

But rather than get all depressed I've come to embrace the idea that it COULD take off one day. And so what if we missed the money train, it's not a money sport yet.

But it could be. Here's to hopin'.

Oh yeah, shred to have fun and for God sakes your BAP go show it off!!!

~peace out
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 25 Mar 2005 09:45

Yeah, Eric you got to play in the days when there was a huge scene in cali. By the time I got to the west coast the scene was basically dying, but we could still fill up a 15 person cargo van and make a trip.

You've probably even gotten to kick with legendary players that me and others on this board won't ever get to play with, such as Rick Reese and Tim Kelly. I've played several years, but I never got to kick with either of them, and I still had to live through the short shorts, and never made more than a dime at this game.

It's okay. The sport could change direction, but Steve has put a lot of time and effort into building resources and a frame work to achieve his goals. If you want to see the sport go into other arenas, someone needs to mobilize to duplicate all the ground work to build a framework towards achieving those goals.

wicked
Fearless

Post by wicked » 25 Mar 2005 12:11

Whatever. This sport should have been popular. The pros should be getting paid. I dont give a FUCK what you say about "just having fun" because people like vasek, mulroney, devlahovich, irish, etc., SHOULD be making a living off it through sponsors and other ventures. I've beleived in this since the day i got into footbag. I've always been waiting for the sport to "explode" but its obvious to me NOW that with all the "undertones" this is never going to happen. Ive already had my "fun" in footbag... I just think it should be a little more popular. Nobody really likes it that much. Its looks unorganized. Also, Footbag got destroyed by the breakers in ripwalk ends i thought. Not that i wan't to start breaking. But with all due respect Breaking and Skateboarding kicks footbags ass and looks 10 times cooler..
Last edited by wicked on 25 Mar 2005 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 25 Mar 2005 12:20

I understand your point eric.

This sport has a whole lot of gay ass shit in it that makes it generally unappealing to a large variety of people.

People should be getting payed, but that will never happen because instead of modeling footbag after money making sports, footbag choose to be combine the money making possibilities of professional spring board diving with the lovable aspects of a figure skating routine.

It's not that footbag couldn't have made money, it's more like decisions were made to keep footbag underground and out of the general populations cash flow. I swear people intentionally made footbag to be like the other sports with no fans and no careers.

wicked
Fearless

Post by wicked » 25 Mar 2005 12:22

^^^ I know and to me, this is completely obsured.

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 25 Mar 2005 12:26

You talk like we've missed the boat, and won't ever reach the level of pro sport.

I've followed footbag since a little before Vasek 'arrived' as champion, and I believe that there have been gains since then. This shit takes time, but we're moving in the right direction. Maybe the California scene died, but fuck if it didn't give birth to even bigger ones in the Czech Republic and Finland. I'm posative that the number of active guiltless players worldwide has risen since I started playing.

Do you think we're farther away then when you started?

Edit: Decisions were made? It's never too late to change our mind... What should have been done? What should be done?
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 25 Mar 2005 12:32

Dramafied.ca has, IMO, become ridiculous as well. Some things are cool about a community of footbaggers, but there is so much BS on this site (and I know someone is going to do a cute joke about that) that it's rapidly getting annoying.
Nicholas Laroche

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 25 Mar 2005 13:27

ok I have a solution, everyone quits playing, we forget all the work we have done involving footbag, playing or not, leave modified and never come back, forget the fun you've had having club sessions or tournements, and that will solve everything.

Most of you footbaggers make me sick with the ideas of footbag going nowhere or like we missed our chance or something. Go F yourself if you think that, you don't deserve to play! Footbag doesn't need/want your whining

As to modified becoming ridiculus, I will say at times I get frustrated with some people's concepts, ideas, and comments. Some people say very stupid things, some people say very intelligent things. Where in life can you go without finding BS, stupid people, ignorant people, or drama? Get over it, it's life. Anyone who finds modified annoying, then don't let your self get annoyed and just don't visit. This is not directed just towards you nick, I'm sure there are people who would agree with you.

Footbag is cool, but its not as showy/crowd pleasing as breaking, obviously, thats like comparing steven hawkins vs Mike Tyson in a street fight. A backflip will never compare to a DATW, a pose on your head will never be topped by an atomsmasher. Although in my eyes it does, I am not an ignorant spectator.

I love footbag, you can say fuck off to me for that, I could give a shiz less. It's a free sport, it's fun, it's very challenging, and I won't be the best. but am I ever going to cry about it and agrue about how GAY it is when I make BAP, uhh no. :wink:
James Randall

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 25 Mar 2005 13:42

You obviously are not going to be making a living off footbag, it's not popular and there are no "chicks". There is nothing going for it. You are right Eric, footbag IS 'gay'.

I am going to bitch on a forum about the 'gayness' of footbag while completely contradicting what I'm trying to point out - footbag is a waste of time. Yes, I will be bitching out on a FOOTBAG FORUM, using the time that I'm paying for on the internet with the little money I earn from my "bullshit jobs" to make a negative statement regarding an activity that should be the pawn of capitalism and inherit hoards of women for my disposal.

But what am I saying? I'm using up MY TIME to describe how much of a WASTE OF TIME footbag is, when instead I could have just left altogether and saved myself that time I wasted on writing up those posts.

==================================

I see that as pretty silly Eric. You're so silly :wink:
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 25 Mar 2005 13:49

I know I make stupid comments, unresearched opinions, and blast the flame on those who piss me off.

I love it all!!! And wouldn't have it any other way around here. There was enough censorship and conformity in high school, college and now full time employment. So it is refreshing to have a place where you can bitch, snitch, and battle without any real serious reprecussions.

It's a good thing.

I gave up on the idea of the sport bustin' big when my ideas about a database component computer scoring system were repeatedly shot down. I guess the founders and great ones (I have no idea who these people actual are) don't want to see it progress into it's own identity.

We already copy tennis, golf, figure skating, skateboarding and dance. So what. Don't like it?

Change it? Look at footbag.com, as whack as it is, it is not footbag freestyle, and as far as I know the IFPA ain't gotz no patent on the sport. So have at.

Create your own sport and those who agree will follow. Otherwise the 'undertones' that are destroying your idea of a great sport will continue to destroy your ideas and piss you right out of the sport.

I've quit before, but what did I really quit? Even with all the tourneys and jams out there, it's not like they are taking attendance or anything. God damn, J-Dogg doesn't even compete, but he'll bust your balls and mine, so be glad you made it to the top when the top was attainable.

I'm 30 years old, I work full time and I freestyle when I can. I'll never make BAP, I'll never compete professionally, and I'll never make a dime off the sport (again). So what? I can still bust big and wow the fuck out of most people anytime anywhere.

That alone should make it worth your time.
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

junkyardjew
BSOS Beast

Post by junkyardjew » 25 Mar 2005 15:38

yeah, this is defnitely the saddest, lamest argument ever. where are the girls! where are the girls!!! do you know how many girls skate-boarders get? NONE!!!! Only boys like watching other boys skateboard. you know which boys like watching other boys skateboard? boys who skateboard!!! that's fucknig gay!!!

dumbass.

as somebody who's a) not very good and b) doesn't give a shit, you should take my advice: quit footbag, quit bitching, and don't come back to modified. faggot. christ.

nobody wants to see footbag in the fucking x-games. nobody likes footbag! get over it! nobody likes still-rings either. they're in the olympics cause it's fucking hard, and the people who do it, like doing it. The only reason they're famous and you're not is because gymanistic sports are several hundred years old. you can't make any money in the olympics either. you think a sprinter from mexico who gets fourth at the olympics has a big house and lots of women? shit! when he turns twenty five, there's going to be a guy 2/10ths of second faster than him, and he's out on his ass.

NOBODY MAKES ANY MONEY IN SPORTS. that's life. deal with it. by the time you're 35, even hockey players are out on their asses. sure, they may've made three million while they were playing, but they bought a house, they bought three cars, they bought a wife who bought two more cars. they're fucked. they end up selling their cars, then getting a job selling more used cars, and they're 'fame' in assfuck, Texas lets them advertise and make a little more cash than the asshole down the street.

I like to play guitar. I'm not bad. I'll never EVER be good enough to make money. So i'm going to quit 'cause it's only about money, and it takes time away from my shitty job...

ugh. whatever. sorry. i don't even know you. footbag is hard on your body, and it takes a lot of energy. if you work nine to five, it's hard to jump around like an asshole five hours a day. tough luck, that's life. I used to like running, then i started work in a factory. I made a choice, you have to too. life sucks, then you die. shitty, eh? let the flame wars begin!
Jared MacKay

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 25 Mar 2005 17:24

habitat wrote:Some people say very stupid things, some people say very intelligent things. Where in life can you go without finding BS, stupid people, ignorant people, or drama? Get over it, it's life.
This is an extremely good point. For the most part many of the people I've met while playing footbag have been pretty cool. But there have been a few people that... uh... weren't so pleasant. That's a given. I just believe that people are just so diverse that sooner or later you're bound to run into some misunderstanding or conflict. Let's face it, we were all raised differently, believe different things, influenced in different ways and I just think it's impossible for everybody to get along. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great if we did, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

I think that if people were a bit more understanding of each other than things might just run a little smoother. Now I'm not saying that I'm perfect because I'm far from it. I've got my prejudices and a tendancy to deal with situations in a less than peaceful manner. Unfortunately the only time I'm not being a complete asshole and treating people straight-up and fair is on this forum.

Well... mostly :wink:
I really do try not to be a prick. I just want to kick and have fun.
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 25 Mar 2005 20:59

Haha maybe footbag isn't getting you guys anything, but when I did a little demo thing for my english teacher she thought it was awsome and said I should do it in this presentation I have to do, which has nothing to even do about footbag... plus its fun all the times people have told me I'm probably the best in the world at it which is always good for a laugh
Dustin Rhodes

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 25 Mar 2005 22:19

Zeke wrote: I really do try not to be a prick. I just want to kick and have fun.
Yea, kick people in the face while playing 4square, you ASSHOLE! :D