If you find a wallet/purse???

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!
delakong
BSOS Beast

If you find a wallet/purse???

Post by delakong » 07 Apr 2005 07:23

If you find a wallet or purse what do you do?

1. Return wallet/purse with everything in it?
2. Return wallet/purse but take money?
3. Return wallet/purse but take money and credit cards?
4. Don't return anything.

Me and my friends talk have been talking about this and I just wanted to see what other people do. Don't bother answering this post if you're gonna just answer with the right thing to do, post what you honestly do/would do if you find a wallet/purse. Assume the wallet/purse belongs to a complete stranger. I wanted to make this a poll but I guess I'm not cool enough to create polls.

I almost forgot to answer my own question.........my answer is 2. I expect the same thing done to me, I just want my ID cards and stuff back.
Joshua Annis

"Don't Panic..."
"I woke wanting nothing more than a box of Gushers....
DENIED
I shake my first at the sky."-Matt Cross
"Yeah, seriously! When I got back into my cubicle Jazz started throwing dimes at me. What an asshole."-David Wilder

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 07 Apr 2005 07:38

I would *actually* do the right thing because I am not a terrible person.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Iain
1337 h4x0r

Post by Iain » 07 Apr 2005 07:44

i wouldn't even pick it up. That way i wouldn't have to worry about doing the right thing.
Hello, my name is Iain George.

junkyardjew
BSOS Beast

Post by junkyardjew » 07 Apr 2005 07:50

I would return it after taking a reasonable finders fee. say, if they had fifty bucks in their wallet i might take ten... or a similar percentage if they had more...
Jared MacKay

delakong
BSOS Beast

Post by delakong » 07 Apr 2005 07:54

I wrote:Don't bother answering this post if you're gonna just answer with the right thing to do, post what you honestly do/would do if you find a wallet/purse.
mosher wrote:I would *actually* do the right thing because I am not a terrible person.
I didn't mean don't answer if you do the "right" thing, I just meant don't answer that you do the "right" thing if you really don't.
Joshua Annis

"Don't Panic..."
DENIED
"Yeah, seriously! When I got back into my cubicle Jazz started throwing dimes at me. What an asshole."-David Wilder

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 07 Apr 2005 07:54

Omnicriz wrote:i wouldn't even pick it up. That way i wouldn't have to worry about doing the right thing.
Well, by picking it up and doing the right thing you could prevent the wrong thing some other person might do. :D

EDIT: I vote for the first option cause I lost mine here in Canada with 200+ US and Visa card in it the other day and I got it back...all my shit was there.
Sergey Pikalov

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 07 Apr 2005 08:40

I would most likely pick it up, find the owner directly through http://www.anywho.com and call them, then give it to them at their house. If it was in a store or something, I would give it to someone that works there. The good thing about giving it to them is that they may possibly reward you.

Also, it's pretty easy to just say, what if you were in their place. If you loose your wallet, it's not that you just lost your money, you lost your license, identification, credit cards, etc. You then have to go through the hassle of going to the bank and stopping all of that shit so no one else can use it, and then getting all new cards. It's one big hassle that you should never put someone through on purpose.

Edit :: Footbaggers are nice, so don't be a jerk !!
More C4 please <3

wolfpac444
Your Friendly Admin

Post by wolfpac444 » 07 Apr 2005 11:08

I'd return it with everything in it. Like John said, being a jerk is not worth $XX.
Mike Hansen

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 07 Apr 2005 12:35

Return it with everything in it. You're a straight up asshole if you would exploit the fact that someone dropped their purse/wallet seeing as both usually contain a huge portion of the people's lives.

delakong
BSOS Beast

Post by delakong » 07 Apr 2005 12:57

Wow, the answers aren't as varied as I thought. I didn't expect many people to admit/post that they'd take the whole thing, but I'm sure that you're out there (views to post ratio for a simple question like this aren't making sense). You all are really nice. I, personaly, don't think it's wrong to take the money (or a portion if it's a high amount).
Omnicriz wrote:i wouldn't even pick it up. That way i wouldn't have to worry about doing the right thing.
That's worse than just taking the money to me.
Joshua Annis

"Don't Panic..."
DENIED

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 07 Apr 2005 13:45

I just leave wallets where they lay,m and don't bother to open them.

I will take your money if you leave it in the AT machine, but remember your reciept and card.
$DIETY works in mysterious ways.

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 07 Apr 2005 13:59

Fear <-----------------------|-----------------------> Love
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

ted
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ted » 07 Apr 2005 14:02

Life isn't that simple. I mean who cares if Ling Ling returns the wallet and keeps the money? It has nothing to do with either fear or love.
Theodore Anderson

HackingGanesh
Fearless

Post by HackingGanesh » 07 Apr 2005 14:34

I would return it with everything still the way I found it. This is not because of what I'm about to tell you, I'm an honest kid who has morals and really could care less about a few dollars, but on with the story:

I was about 15 I think at the time, and my best friend Dave invited me to go to the beach with his older sister Aimee. So I change into my board shorts and we head down to the beach, hanging out on the boardwalk and what not until we decide to go in the water. So we get our boards and head out to the waves. It's not until we're out in the ocean that I realize my wallet is in my right cargo pocket. I tell Dave that the next wave I catch I'm going to go back in and put it back with our other stuff where his sister is laying out. So we both take a wave in and start walking back to our towels. I reach down to get my wallet out of my shorts, except it's not there. My heart sinks completely as I check every pocket and freak out. I had over 150 dollars in it and all of my information (social security card, etc.). I was really bummed but we went back out into the water anyway. About a half hour later, I saw Aimee waving us in from the shoreline. I thought she wanted to leave or something, but she handed me my cell phone. I answered it, and it was a lady telling me she found my wallet that washed up on the shore.

I was stunned for a number of reasons. First, how the hell did my wallet make its way back to shore, and what are the chances that the person who found it would try and get it back to me? Second, my phone number isn't even in my wallet. So we start talking and it turns out she was less than 30 feet away from me, so I hung up and went over to thank her. It turns out she looked up every Damato in East Brunswick (she found out where I lived from my school ID) until she got the right house. She then talked to my parents, who gave her my cell phone number. I was very surprised she did all that, and I insisted that she accept a reward for everything she had done, but she refused to accept anything. Everything was still in my wallet, and one of the worst moments of my life suddenly turned into one of the best.
Brian Damato
Hoboken, NJ
Stevens Institute of Technology

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 07 Apr 2005 14:59

Fear <-----------------------|-----------------------> Love
Haha what a great movie! Donnie Darko is awsome.... but anyways I think I would try and return it and if I couldn't return it to anyone then just leave it there. I figure if everyone just left it were they found it then the owner would get it eventually and if other people take the wallet, well I can't be responsible for the evils of others. I actually did this in my Law class but it was a little different. I found a 20 $ bill on the ground in this little crevice in the desk. I was going to turn it in, but then I figured how was my teacher gona know who's it was. They can't really just ask, "Did anyone lose a 20$ bill" so I just left it there, i figured that whoever dropped it would search for it, and if you didn't search for it you wouldn't see it because it was kind of hidden...
Dustin Rhodes

Whatsfootbag?
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Whatsfootbag? » 07 Apr 2005 15:59

eh hard to say...cash is very tempting when you have very little of it...if there is tons in there,i might take a couple like 10 or 20 and then return to the owner.now that i've read this though i'd take the whole thing back most likely...feel way too guilty to take some

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 07 Apr 2005 16:43

I'd return it as I found it.

Karma, dude. Karma.
Comment in the BCS blog if you feel the need to.

Gareth Williams

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 07 Apr 2005 16:49

Kiser_Tobias wrote:I'd return it as I found it.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 07 Apr 2005 18:57

Return as found. If there was a photo of the dude`s girlfriend I miiiiiiiight keep that. :oops: Just playing. :wink: :roll: But yeah, seriously, money isn`t that big a deal, and if you return it and got a reward, that`d feel so much better than stealing.

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 07 Apr 2005 19:29

I returned a wallet with at least $700 in it once. I found it at a bus terminal and picked it up...I saw the owner get on one of the buses as I was walking towards the terminal int he first place, so I ran to the bus and gave him his wallet back. He looked inside, then looked back at me and said, "You didn't take anything?"

I replied, "No, that's not something I do."

He looked me over, somewhat puzzled.

Then he went back to reading his newspaper.

Strange.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.