sen

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 27 May 2005 22:44

Shin splints got you down? Let me help you out bro!

- You may or may nto want to skip this first step, it is up to you, but to help releive some pain you should run your fingers from the top of your shins to the bottom of your shin slowly. I dont' know why this works and despite it hurting a lot, it helps with the pain afterwards. Something to try I guess.

- Take anti-inflamitories to reduce the swelling of the muscles and pain! You should do this after your session since it is dangerous to play while on painkillers!

- ICE!! ICE ICE ICE!! This also helps reduce the swelling and it helps sooooooooooo much. If you don't have ice, use a cold pack and just wrap it around your calf and shin. Elevating your leg also helps.

- Rest them until you can do normal activities without discomfort. If you have been taking the anti-inflamitories and using ice then this shouldn't be more than a few days (though it also depends on the degree of your injury). Be sure to get plenty of sleep as that is the stage when the body repairs itself and try hard not to do anything that will stress those shins out.

After you have rested and your legs are feeling better, it's time to strengthen the muscles surrounding your tibia. I don't know if you know this but shin splints is when your calf muscle is overly powerful (or the muscles on the front of your shin is too weak) and it actually tears the muscle away from the bone. Very painful but it can be permanently solved. To strengthen those muscles around the front of the tibia, do toe raises. They are convenient and easy to do! Whenever you are sitting down, sit with your feet planted on the floor and with your toes pointing straight infront of you. Raise your toes off the ground so that the only par tof your foot touching is your heel and hold that position for a few seconds. Relax and repeat as often as you can. This exercise will help develope those muscles which are being ripped off the shin!

I hope that helps you out man! I used to suffer from shin splints too but unfortunately I didn't know what I know now to help battle them out. When they came back a few months ago I did exactly this and within a week I was back into my game 100%. I also suggest taking Calcium & Magnesium supplements to help strengthen your tibia - this can also help prevent impact stress which is often mislabelled as shin splints.

Take care man and take it easy :):)):):):)
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 30 May 2005 06:46

Thanks Byrin, I'll try those steps out and hopefully it will help. I'm quite sick of being mangled by the splints.

My weekend:

<b><u>Friday, May 27, 2005</b></u>

I had a session that lasted just over an hour tonight after work. Worked alot on that elusive unique string: fairy > butterfly > clip set mirage > illusion > dimwalk > op butterfly > op clipper > whirl > spinning osis. Tonight I got up the whirl but couldn't spot the bag after the spin. . . perhaps because it landed in a box of empty Canadian bottles. The other accomplishment of the night was new consec records. New for tonight:
Alternating Clip-19
Same clip (strong)-20
Same clip (flip)-19
Alternating Pixies-11
Alternating Pixe legover-4
I also messed around a bit some drills. I really like clipper > far legover > rpt. It's just kinda fun. I think I owe this session to HenryG. Thanks dude.

<b><u>Saturday, May 28, 2005</b></u>

I had an hour session again tonight. My legs felt like spaggetti. I seem to obbsessed with one string and I just can't hit it. I got to the spinning osis and seemed to just throw it away. I did manage to get my alternating pixie legover recored up to 5. That is all.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 03 Jun 2005 06:37

<b><u>Wednesday, June 1, 2005</b></u>

First off, I got my Suderbag today. It's sweet. Black pents, with royal blue and white hexes. I can't wait for it to break in!

Had like a three hour session tonight, broken up by doing dishes and watching some shred video's. I realized that my flip clippers and butterfly's are much better. I hit butterfly > clip set mirage > (rpt) I never used to be able to do that. The only other eal accomplishment was a few new consec records:
Alternating Inside Stall - 16
Alternating Pixies - 15
Mirage > illusion (rpt) 2 Flipside
It seems like I should have done more but that's it.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 07 Jun 2005 06:44

<b><u>Saturaday, June 4, 2005</b></u>

Had an hour session tonight, didn't seem like I hit much? I almost got that stupid unique string that I've been trying. . . footed the spinning osis and then lost it. I don't think I hit much else at all. I'm coming closer to hitting Jared's challenge, speaking of challenges, CHALLENGE ME!! Please. That's pretty much it.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 07 Jun 2005 06:44

<b><u>Monday, June 6, 2005</b></u>

Kicked for an hour tonight. Mostly worked on that stupid string. . . but this is the LAsT night that I will allow myself to that stupid stuff. I also worked a bit on making some "riffs" for myself. That's what I want to work on for the next week or so: Getting a bunch of "riffs" together so I can just "improv" as I shred. The only thing of importance I did tonight was make a new alternating toe stall record of 47. I use that as part of my warm up each session so it's slowly getting better. I want to get it up to 100 soon.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 07 Jun 2005 10:45

I decided to put some pictures up here, so here you go:
The black, blue adn White bag is a Suderbag, the Yellow and Orange one is a Footfighter, the Blue and Black one is SENbag, and the rest you should know!
Here's me with my dog, Nico:
Here's me dancing with a few girls:
Here's me doing clipper's on the glass floor in the CN tower, A statue of Einstien in Washington, DC and Brooklyn Bridge in NYC:

Hope you enjoyed those!

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 09 Jun 2005 06:54

<b><u>Wednesday, June 8, 2005</b></u>

<b>Pixie > op knee bump > same butterfly
pixie > op knee bump > ducking op clip
pixie > op knee bump > op clip
pixie > op knee bump > ss osis
pixie > op knee bump > ss whirl
pixie > op knee bump > op whirl</b>

I hit all those this session. Do they count as one move or do the knee bumps start a new move? Either way I'm happy with them!

Other good things:
<b>Ducking clipper BACK TO BACK!</b> At the beggining of the session I told myself that I wanted to hit that, and then I did.
<b>79 Alternating toe stalls</b>
<b>mirage > illusion > legover > mirage > illusion > footed legover</b> I just couldn't get that last legover.

I also had some longerish runs, but I can't remember any specific ones; I know that one had an flip butterfly in it. . . possible butterfly bsos. I started to put pick-ups into some of my runs which felt pretty good. . . that's probaly my most under used two.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 10 Jun 2005 06:50

<b><u>Thurday, June 9, 2005</b></u>

Had a session downtown, about an hour. Didn't do much good.

Best was that I hit
<b>Mirage > illusion > Legover</b> repeat plus some.

I also felt that my lines were a bit longer than ussual.

Problem with where I was playing: It's on a slight slope. . . very annoying.

I didn't like it much but the other places I play were extremely dirty so I didn't play at them.

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 10 Jun 2005 11:01

I don't understand what's happening in the third last picture.

Also, nice hat. :roll: :)

Too bad you can't make it to ShrEdmonton.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 10 Jun 2005 11:08

The third last picture is one that I took looking down on a clipper stall. It's took at the top of the CN TOWER on the GLASS FLOOR. That's really the only way I can explain it.

I wish I could come to shredmonton. . . it sounds like it's gonna be awesome. Are you gonna have shirts?? I wanna buy one.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 15 Jun 2005 10:42

Story from this morning:

Before one of my classes I was messing around doing some diving clippers and a guy in my class asks, "Do you think your gonna go anywhere with that, like, really?"
I said, "No. I mostly do it just for fun."

And here comes the shocker. . . he said, "Oh, 'cuz your really good at it."

It surprised me because he's one of the jocks/hockey players that ussualy doesn't have anything remotley nice to say to me.

Just thought i'd share that since I haven't played for a bit.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 15 Jun 2005 10:47

Ha! Props to you (about the jock)! I'm going to go back and read some of your blog I missed. Good to know I have a footbag dude who is of "similar" level (or so you say! I think you're quite the better shredder, haha) as me. Later!
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 15 Jun 2005 10:54

Hey David, I'm starting to watch video's from your ifpa account. I'd say we're quite similar in skill level.

Only difference I see is that you bail (toe stall) more than me and I have much shorter strings because I don't bail at all.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 15 Jun 2005 11:04

Sorry to hijack your blog, but I *must* say that that footage is a year old AND it was right after I came back from ACL surgery. Sorry if that seems defensive or something. Maybe it is, I just feel like I play at least a little better than that now. Rock on!
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 16 Jun 2005 06:53

I figured it was old since you were in high school then, but I haven't been able to download the other's are they any newer?

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 16 Jun 2005 07:33

They're not really newer, they're just videos from the first WV Jam. Not edited or anything. Pretty bad, imo. Well, me at least!

But yeah, I should really put out another video sometime in the next few months.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 17 Jun 2005 06:49

OK. . . no updates for a while. Why you ask? Simple, I haven't been playing. At the start of the week I told myself I was gonna take a little break so my shins could get better and not hurt.

I took my break, then things got kinda crazy. My job got a lot harder, and then my partner quit leaving me with over twice as much work as I used to do. That means I am at work much later, and have much less time to shred when I get home. Plus after work my legs ussually feel like mush and I have to do work around the house/home work.

I'm gonna make time to shred more soon, plus school's almost over for the year so I'll have time to shred. Speaking of school ending. . . just a heads up to those who will miss me, I'll be on a leave of absense when schools over. I check Modified at school and have no way of checking while not in school.

Start saying your goodbyes.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 17 Jun 2005 07:31

How long will you be off modified for? Just curious.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 17 Jun 2005 08:16

I'll be gone for. . . *sniff*. . .two months. I'll probably get on a few times during the summer so expect some large updates to my blog, but other than that I'll be pretty scarce and it all depends on the computers in the library, they seem to be broken or gone more than they are there.

delakong
BSOS Beast

Post by delakong » 17 Jun 2005 08:48

Sorry to see you go. You'll find a way. Either way, it's only two months. Keep shredding!
Joshua Annis

"Don't Panic..."
"I woke wanting nothing more than a box of Gushers....
DENIED
I shake my first at the sky."-Matt Cross
"Yeah, seriously! When I got back into my cubicle Jazz started throwing dimes at me. What an asshole."-David Wilder