advice: big tricks/long runs [by Jorden]

Need help? Find someone else who's had the problem or ask about it in here.

Moderator: Muffinman

Jorden
Retro Athlete

advice: big tricks/long runs [by Jorden]

Post by Jorden » 25 Feb 2006 16:45

Hey,

Thought this might fit well in Trick Tips. Here is a PM I sent to someone asking how to improve his runs and hit bigger tricks. It gets rather deep, and shares some philosophies I have with footbag training. Hope it helps you on your footbag path:

Jorden's Pep Talk

Unfortunately, there are no secret formulas. You get good at the tricks by DOING the tricks. Again and again. If any trick is giving you grief, STOP and ANALYZE the aspect or component that is messing you up. Correct it. Perfect it. Now is a good time for you to treat both sides as equals. I don't mean 'incorporating your flipside'. I mean complete bothsidedness. Like my sig says, break everything down to its simplest form, the way that causes the least strain on your body and MASTER it. That's why buildings with a weak foundation fall over and collapse sooner than ones with good foundations. For this reason, schooling tiltless is never a bad idea. I still school tiltless every session.

If you can master the basics so they are identical on both sides, you can slowly add elements to them.

Treat each trick as if it were your LAST. This helps with consistency. :wink: Eventually, you will treat every trick in each of your runs in this same way. You will drop a lot less.

It takes some serious hard work. If there was a magic formula that everyone could buy to get good, the tricks wouldn't be as meaningful, would they? Footbag tricks are the most rewarding because they are VERY hard. You are fighting against GRAVITY, for fuck's sake!

The big tricks will come when your building is so structurally sound that more and more floors can be added.

See you at the top.

Jorden Moir
Jorden Moir

SandWraith
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SandWraith » 25 Feb 2006 18:15

I like the metaphor of the building. :)
Zach Marine - Member of the Tendonitis Club!
blog

sidekick
Egyptian Footgod

Post by sidekick » 25 Feb 2006 18:53

Man, if anything in the world would make me want to shred, it was that post/speech/PM. Right now I'm stuck at work, reading modified, looking at another long weekend spent working 11 hour shifts, and I read Jorden's awsome pep talk. Everything said was relevant, I wouldn't take anything out, nor would I add anything in... it was, in a word, Perfect. Thank you Jorden for giving me the drive to start hitting bigger tricks more consistantly, and over all getting better at footbag.
Nick Landes

Proudly Representing Fourkast Footbag Co.
http://www.fourkast.com

Portland Blog

All the ladies love Matt Cross because Johnny Depp + Footbag = Matt Cross

Mastery is the combination of knowledge and practical experience

Muffinman
the gimp

Formerly "Jorden's Pep Talk"

Post by Muffinman » 25 Feb 2006 19:11

I renamed this thread from "Jorden's Pep Talk" to "advice: big tricks/long runs [by Jorden]" so that users know what the thread is about from just the subject title. Please read the rules if you haven't already.

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 26 Feb 2006 02:03

Thanks Jorden that's a good analogy. It's funny cuz you were saying it took you a while to become guiltless, so it's nice to know that theoretically we could all reach your level in 3 years or so. Not saying that's gonna happen with me or anything, but it even gives me hope for just genuine guiltless shred someday soon.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

funklovesfootbag
Womanizer

Post by funklovesfootbag » 09 Mar 2006 23:05

I agree with everything you said, except it seems that you don't have to fight gravity, you just slap it in the face instead.
Fletcher Funk...

*Retired From Stitching*
(and basically freestyle.)

bluntobj3ct
BSOS Beast

Post by bluntobj3ct » 11 Mar 2006 13:50

amen.

and not with your hand.
SAM MCAULAY
BLOG
ImageImage

BalinorNZ