G-Unit modification photo sequence.

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
busted
Shredaholic

G-Unit modification photo sequence.

Post by busted » 09 Dec 2005 12:25

Hello All,

:wink: I have just finished mod-ing my new pair of G-Units. Now I know why they call this forum Modified.

:D In this post I have attempted to provide a photo sequence with a few comments that will help someone modify their shoes. These photos are of the original GUnit model. Hope it helps!

:?: I started a seperate thread from the other G-Unit Review thread because it seems a different sort of information than just raving about the shoes.

:twisted: Incidentally, after moding them I broke my OSIS record (in the teens) in about 10 minutes, without warming up.

Before:
Just like with lavers, I used a razor to cut the threads. I think a sharp scissor edge would do fine.
I carefully started cutting the toe leather. There is are only two layers here: the leather on top and the mesh below. The mesh is the part I wanted to keep, and so will you! By starting from the side I felt I could get more precision seperating the leather from the mesh.
The leather is glued to the mesh so I used my fingers to seperate the two. The leather comes apart from the mesh pretty easily.
I thought a cut down the middle was most sensible.
I used the back most dotted line to get started with the scissors. That way I had some clue as to how deep to go. Here, I basically removed the one leather layer, like the toe. The difference is that there was also glued foam that was easily ripped off with leather. This is OK since one doen't want the foam, just the final mesh layer underneath. I was very careful on the first cut.
Again, I used my fingers to seperate the leather/foam from the mesh. I felt much more confident using the scissors once I knew the mesh was seperated from the material I was cutting.
Here is the foam material. One can see that some of it sticks to the mesh and some sticks to the leather. Not a big deal either way, but it's ugly.
After cutting away the first piece, I cut towards the ankle. Here, it's a matter of taste because if one cuts too much one will start to expose the skeleton of the shoe. The line I've cut is about as far back as one can go before that happens. The little red bit in the middle of the insole is an example of what I'm talking about. 8O
TaDa!!! Featuring beautiful bags from :P Lonn Irish. :P

Regards,
-David
David Sussillo
When the pain starts that's when you really notice the addiction.
David and Robin's Time in Austria
My footblog... a bootflog
Challenge me

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 09 Dec 2005 13:11

I've been considering going over to the dark side, and this really helps.

Thanks man. :D
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 09 Dec 2005 13:19

Great job man.

This should be stickied.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 09 Dec 2005 17:37

Definitely a good demo. Thanks for sharing!
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip Hard 2: Skip Harder
Skip Hard With A Vengeance
Coming soon. Yippee-kieaye-eh?
Skip-blog

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 10 Dec 2005 19:56

great pictures.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 11 Dec 2005 02:00

Definitely a good tutorial. I'm one to say that i don't mind exposing the skeleton of the shoe and showing some of the plastic heel cap that G-units have. I literally cut to the point where the stitches are made for both the insides and outsides of the shoe. I'm still pleased with my handiwork, and yours indefinitely, nonetheless.

Straight pimpin' :wink:
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 11 Dec 2005 10:00

Awesome job man, cleared up some stuff that i was wondering about G-units. they look really easy to mod, and the toe looks better than i thought it would :)

i agree with tom, this should be stickied.
Josiah Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 23 Dec 2005 16:58

Great post. Thanks for doing this. I would sticky it if I knew how.

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 27 Dec 2005 19:25

This topic has been unstickied and a link to it added to the "Stitching/Shoe Modding/Breaking in tutorial (Archive)" thread to make the forum tidier and easier to read.

The "Stitching/Shoe Modding/Breaking in tutorial (Archive)" can be found here: http://www.modified.ca/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=11583

Wumbo
BSOS Beast

problem with mod

Post by Wumbo » 05 Jan 2006 13:50

OK hi there i did everything like in the tut. But now i have the problem, that the toe stall is more difficult to control than before. This is because the sack often jumps towards me instead of straight up in the air. The canvas is deeper than the very front of the shoe which pushes it back on me unwillingly. Is there anything i could do?

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 05 Jan 2006 15:27

learn to set the bag straight up instead of back toward you. It is not the tip of the toe box that is causing your errant sets.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

busted
Shredaholic

Post by busted » 05 Jan 2006 23:34

Whatup Wumbo...

I am new to these shoes myself and have sadly been injured since purchasing them :x :x :x, but I have also noticed that toe feels different.

Many people seem to agree that the toe plays differently, but that with experience your body/brain will adjust and you'll have no problem.

A lot of comments about the shoes and exactly this kind of information can be found at The G-Unit Review Thread.

Kind Regards,
-David

PS to everyone: thanks for all the props on the photos and thread! :P
David Sussillo
Challenge me

Forestall
Shredalicious

Post by Forestall » 07 Jan 2006 04:44

Modded my pair today. Feels better than lavers.

I'll still stick to climas though.
-Mikko Lepisto-

www.pipi.fi

busted
Shredaholic

Post by busted » 22 Feb 2006 14:05

*bump*
David Sussillo
Challenge me

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 05 May 2006 23:42

Thanks. Just modified mine with your instructions and I used the Flipsiders Video tutorial for lacing.

I found that starting with a small exacto incision and then using a round(ish) palette knife (if you paint or know anyone who does) to stretch all the way through is a very safe way of piercing throught the leather, foam and glue dermal layers, progressively, and not the actual mesh.

It's late over here so I only got to try them out on a polyurethaned(sp?) hardwood floor. Overall I am a little worried about how long the show will last, and I find the fit a little fllimsy, but I hit a bunch wierd osis cr@p already, and my dyno's are looking TIGHT.

I can't frigging wait to shred tommorrow!

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 06 May 2006 17:29

in response to LOFA's last post, I have been playing in my pair of G-units for about 7 months now, and those seven months have of course been pretty hardcore. Do not worry about the longevity of the shoe. It will outlast most pairs of lavers, specifically because the rubber sole under the toe box seems not to wear away as quickly as the laver sole does. I just modded my 2nd pair of g-units yesterday and today, to start to break them in. They are so easy to mod, literally 15 minutes for each shoe if you know what you're doing! I think I'll go research when I first started playing in my g-units.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.