Marijuana

Kick back and relax. Anything that does not have to do with footbag goes here!

Do you smoke Marijuana/weed/any other name for it?

yes
No votes
no
No votes
no
No votes

Total votes: 0

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 01 Jul 2003 18:00

I'll second that.. .it was only while stoned I realized that SoaD's Chop Suey was about prostitution.
John D

Panda Licker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Panda Licker » 01 Jul 2003 18:11

i realized wut The Wall (pink floyd!) was about when i was stoned. it was like the second time i listened to it, and i confused the hell out of me the first time. and i found out that SoaD was actually a really big political band (the prison song for instance). and there was actually a time where i had to figure out this riddle for school, and i figured it out stoned
-Angelo Oliveria

BrianW
BSOS Beast

Post by BrianW » 01 Jul 2003 20:35

Doylie wrote:Now, i'm going to say something here that will probably offend the smokers on this board, but i think i have the right to say it: as i sat and read this thread and listened to you not only condoning pot use, but encouraging it, it made me feel upset and angry that you would be encouraging such a destructive force. I think it's plain irresponsible, and i think that you ought to really stay the hell out of other peoples lives. I was encouraged to smoke and i regretted it alot. Don't, i repeat, don't you dare encourage it on other poeple. Even if there is only a chance that their lives will be negatively affected from pot, it is a decision that it theirs to make, free of any peer pressure. What in the hell gives you the right to influence their decision?
sorry to "nitpick" but what gives you the right to influence our decision of whether or not to influence other peoples decision. you telling us not to tell other people what to do. i bet almost every person who has ever smoked was "encouraged" to do so. someone came up to them and said "hey wanna smoke a bowl" it is their decision whether or not to say "sure ive never tried before" or to say "no thanks." i dont see why anyone would try to force someone to smoke. if the person doesnt want to, then great more weed for the other person.

in conclusion, dont tell us what to do. oh wait im telling you not to tell us what to do. meaning im telling you what to do.....oh no were all hypocrites.
Every man has their technique, and they are all different......when you know mine.....youll be dead.

Brian Warner

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 01 Jul 2003 20:55

Word man... Lol. WE ARE ALL FULL OF HYPROCRACY!
John D

Paul Toews
Shredalicious

Post by Paul Toews » 02 Jul 2003 12:32

SlapNut wrote:Jeezus, did your brother and/or friends smoke 3 joints a day or something? Your brother might have a problem with controlling his use of marijuana or something....
:lol: :? :lol: That's really not that much(for some). Really
Weed affects everybody differently. Some people could not even imagine shredding, driving, etc. on dope & others can do everything just as well on dope as sober. I've hit some of my sickest shit burned out of my head(first blurry torque both sides minutes after a phat blunt).

I'm not encouraging people to smoke pot(I hope). I just wanted to give my 2 cents.

peace

MJK
BSOS Beast

Post by MJK » 02 Jul 2003 12:41

I'm just beginning to have the ability to get through my day stoned.....I am seriously lightweight.

Panda Licker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Panda Licker » 02 Jul 2003 15:34

i dont really consider it an ability, or something to brag about. most of the time when i get stoned i like to do something to make me think. I'll read, or watch a good movie, or just sit there
-Angelo Oliveria

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 02 Jul 2003 16:04

Veging out is the best when stoned man!
John D

Doylie
BSOS Beast

Post by Doylie » 02 Jul 2003 23:20

Very good point BrianW. However, i feel, and i think alot of people will agree, that in order to make change, you often have to become a hypocrite. I don't want other's to influence other people's decisions about weed, but i myself am trying to influence your decision about that. Its a catch 22 situation, but i think my message is important regardless.

But whilst we're on the topic of hypocrisy and contradictions:
BrianW wrote:i bet almost every person who has ever smoked was "encouraged" to do so

i dont see why anyone would try to force someone to smoke
Your first assertion is absolutely correct. To this i ask: Do you think it should be that way? If people want to find out about weed let them do it by themselves. Let them ask you the questions. Don't go out and ask them if they wanna smoke with you. Don't you see that by even just asking someone if they wanna smoke with you, you are exerting peer pressure on them? (I'm mainly talking about people < 18yrs old here). Do you really think it's fair to encourage someone to adopt something into their life that has potentially harmful consequences? After all, the potential of weed to do harm has not and can not be refuted (i'm talking social harm, not just biological which is a debate i won't raise again in this thread).

All i'm saying is let people discover weed on their own if they feel that way inclined. Don't try to encourage people to smoke weed.
Mark Roberts
Australian Footbag
http://www.ausfootbag.org

Rassy
Circle Kicker

Post by Rassy » 03 Jul 2003 04:31

Basicly this doesn't have anything to do with shredding but with pot it does so here goes...

I smoke once in a while. Mostly because I gave up drinking since it didn't make me feel good. So I just changed my way to relax and reset. Nothing more...

I noticed something REALLY interesting while I was high. I played QuakeIII on the hardest level against bots with a fraglimit of 30, won it and died maybe like 5 times!!! (Usually I die like atleast 20 times) I was ON FIRE... I've never played that good in my entire life. To prove it was no coincidence or my hallucination (not that I've ever had any but hell.. first time for everything hehe) I made the only sober person in the house watch me playing another round. Same shit except I died like 4 times ROFL... Unbelievable...

Anyone who has played any Quakes know they're pretty hectic, require concentration, precision and lightning reflexes so maybe my shredding would improve too. Haven't tried yet...

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 03 Jul 2003 05:51

depends on the level of stoniness. With the weed I have, one good hit makes me able to be more creative while not knocking me on my ass
much more though... It gets difficult to do strings
John D

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 03 Jul 2003 13:06

Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain

Analysis of Studies Finds Little Effect From Long-Term Use
By Sid Kirchheimer
Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD
on Tuesday, July 01, 2003
WebMD Medical News

July 1, 2003 -- Long-term and even daily marijuana use doesn't appear to cause permanent brain damage, adding to evidence that it can be a safe and effective treatment for a wide range of diseases, say researchers.

The researchers found only a "very small" impairment in memory and learning among long-term marijuana users. Otherwise, scores on thinking tests were similar to those who don't smoke marijuana, according to a new analysis of 15 previous studies.

In those studies, some 700 regular marijuana users were compared with 484 non-users on various aspects of brain function -- including reaction time, language and motor skills, reasoning ability, memory, and the ability to learn new information.

Surprising Finding

"We were somewhat surprised by our finding, especially since there's been a controversy for some years on whether long-term cannabis use causes brain damage," says lead researcher and psychiatrist Igor Grant, MD.

"I suppose we expected to see some differences in people who were heavy users, but in fact the differences were very minimal."

The marijuana users in those 15 studies -- which lasted between three months to more than 13 years -- had smoked marijuana several times a week or month or daily. Still, researchers say impairments were less than what is typically found from using alcohol or other drugs.

"All study participants were adults," says Grant, professor of psychiatry and director of the Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research Center at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine.

"However, there might be a different set of circumstances to a 12-year-old whose nervous system is still developing."

10 States OK Marijuana Use

Grant's analysis, published in the July issue of the Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, comes as many states consider laws allowing marijuana to be used to treat certain medical conditions. Earlier this year, Maryland became the 10th state to allow marijuana use to relieve pain and other symptoms of AIDS, multiple sclerosis, cancer, glaucoma, and other conditions -- joining Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.

Medicinal marijuana is available by prescription in the Netherlands and a new marijuana drug is expected to be released in Great Britain later this year. In the U.S. and elsewhere, Marinol, a drug that is a synthetic form of marijuana and contains its active ingredient, THC, is available by prescription to treat loss of appetite associated with weight loss in AIDS patients.

Grant says he did the analysis to help determine long-term toxicity from long-term and frequent marijuana use. His center is currently conducting 11 studies to determine its safety and efficacy in treating several diseases.

"This finding enables us to see a marginal level of safety, if those studies prove that cannabis can be effective," Grant tells WebMD. "If we barely find this effect in long-term heavy users, then we are unlikely to see deleterious side effects in individuals who receive cannabis for a short time in a medical setting, which would be safer than what is practiced by street users."

Grant's findings come as no surprise to Tod Mikuriya, MD, former director of non-classified marijuana research for the National Institute of Mental Health Center for Narcotics and Drug Abuse Studies and author of The Marijuana Medical Handbook: A Guide to Therapeutic Use. He is currently president of the California Cannabis Medical Group, which has treated some 20,000 patients with medicinal marijuana and Marinol.

'Highly Effective Medicine'

"I just re-published a paper of the first survey for marijuana toxicity done in 1863 by the British government in India that was the most exhaustive medical study of its time in regards to possible difficulties and toxicity of cannabis. And it reached the same conclusion as Grant," Mikuriya tells WebMD.

"This is merely confirming what was known over 100 years ago, as well as what was learned by various government findings doing similar research -- marijuana is not toxic, but it is a highly effective medicine."

In fact, marijuana was available as a medicinal treatment in the U.S. until the 1930s.

Lester Grinspoon, MD, a retired Harvard Medical School psychiatrist who studied medicinal marijuana use since the 1960s and wrote two books on the topic, says that while Grant's finding provides more evidence on its safety, "it's nothing that those of us who have been studying this haven't known for a very long time.

"Marijuana is a remarkably safe and non-toxic drug that can effectively treat about 30 different conditions," he tells WebMD. "I predict it will become the aspirin of the 21st century, as more people recognize this."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: The Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, July 2003. Igor Grant, MD, professor of psychiatry, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine; director, UCSD Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research Center. Tod Mikuriya, MD, president, the California Cannabis Research Medical Group, Oakland; former director of non-classified marijuana research, the National Institute of Mental Health Center for Narcotics and Drug Abuse Studies. Lester Grinspoon, MD, professor emeritus of psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston; author, Marijuana: The Forbidden Medicine and Marihuana Reconsidered.

© 2003 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

BrianW
BSOS Beast

Post by BrianW » 03 Jul 2003 14:56

Doylie wrote:To this i ask: Do you think it should be that way? If people want to find out about weed let them do it by themselves. Let them ask you the questions. Don't go out and ask them if they wanna smoke with you. Don't you see that by even just asking someone if they wanna smoke with you, you are exerting peer pressure on them? Do you really think it's fair to encourage someone to adopt something into their life that has potentially harmful consequences? All i'm saying is let people discover weed on their own if they feel that way inclined.
yes i believe everyone should be informed about pot, and offered it at one point in their life. you should be able to say "no thanks" it really isnt that hard. fuck peer pressure, its only an excuse for peoples low self-esteem, and an excuse people use when they get caught doing something they shouldnt.

say no one ever told you about weed. you would never know what it was, so how could you find out on your own. will you just be walking through the woods one day and go "hey check out that plant, lets smoke it." no you wouldnt. so how could anyone know about weed if they werent "encouraged" in some way. even telling someone what weed is, is encouraging them to smoke it. yes i agree it should be everones decision to smoke or not, and it is. no one is held to the ground and forced to smoke a bowl.
Every man has their technique, and they are all different......when you know mine.....youll be dead.

Brian Warner

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 03 Jul 2003 15:27

10 States OK Marijuana Use

Grant's analysis, published in the July issue of the Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, comes as many states consider laws allowing marijuana to be used to treat certain medical conditions. Earlier this year, Maryland became the 10th state to allow marijuana use to relieve pain and other symptoms of AIDS, multiple sclerosis, cancer, glaucoma, and other conditions -- joining Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.
Even though I was following questions 2 and 9 avidly (homo marrage and pot legalizartion), you still got my hopes up... asshole.. lol j/k.

Don't take offense in "homo marrage." Easiest way to say it all.
John D

Matt
Post Master General

Post by Matt » 03 Jul 2003 16:53

you can use marijuana if you have lung cancer? i bet that will help
Like every man of sense and good feeling, I abominate work
-Aldous Huxley

Doylie
BSOS Beast

Post by Doylie » 03 Jul 2003 23:07

BrianW wrote:say no one ever told you about weed. you would never know what it was, so how could you find out on your own. will you just be walking through the woods one day and go "hey check out that plant, lets smoke it." no you wouldnt. so how could anyone know about weed if they werent "encouraged" in some way
Excuse the sarcasm but believe it or not, there are actually ways of finding out abouts drugs without having one of you stoner friends tell you the details. Internet for example? Books perhaps?
BrianW wrote:fuck peer pressure, its only an excuse for peoples low self-esteem, and an excuse people use when they get caught doing something they shouldnt
Sorry, but i don't agree with you at all. From what you're saying, you don't think peer pressure even exists, which is just a plain ignorant thing to believe. Just because you might not have experienced it in your life doesn't mean that it isn't a valid reason why many people smoke pot. I for one can vouch for the validity of peer pressure as a reason to smoke pot.

Whilst you're right that no-one is held to the ground and forced to smoke, a smoker should not influence or try to persuade other people to smoke pot. How does the smoker know if the person is going to adopt weed as a lifestyle and as a result screw up their life? They dont know, so they shouldn't encourage people. This is the sorta shit i'm talking about

[quote"FootbagginBum"]Dustin, I showed someone that post you made a while back last night and they ended up smoking with me for there first time. [/quote]

All i'm saying is, if you are a smoker, have the decency not to potentially fuck up someones life. Is that such a hard thing to do?
Mark Roberts
Australian Footbag

Rob
Flower Child

Post by Rob » 03 Jul 2003 23:12

Potentially though, doing ANYTHING could totaly fuck up someones life. "Yo man want a burger?" "Sure" BAM now he's got mad cow. All because you offered the man some tasty beef. What he's persueding is something that has brought him alot of good times and fun. It's like offering someone a beer. No bigs. "Wanna hit?" "Naw..." "that's cool", and life goes on.
this is the 44 Wand, the most powerful Handwand in the world, so did i fire 5 or 6 fireballs? now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do i feel lucky? well do ya punk.

BrianW
BSOS Beast

Post by BrianW » 04 Jul 2003 08:15

Doylie wrote:Excuse the sarcasm but believe it or not, there are actually ways of finding out abouts drugs without having one of you stoner friends tell you the details. Internet for example? Books perhaps?
if no one ever told you about drugs, how could you look them up on the internet? everyone needs to be informed (or encouraged as you call it) about drugs.
Doylie wrote:Sorry, but i don't agree with you at all. From what you're saying, you don't think peer pressure even exists, which is just a plain ignorant thing to believe. Just because you might not have experienced it in your life doesn't mean that it isn't a valid reason why many people smoke pot. I for one can vouch for the validity of peer pressure as a reason to smoke pot.
If you define peer pressure as your friends influencing you to do something, then yes it does exist. but that means you are "peer pressured" into doing things like playing basketball, playing footbag or eating food that was offered by your friend. so if i broke my leg playing basketball i can blame that on peer pressure, becuase my friends asked me if i wanted to play. or if i was 200 pounds overweight, i could blame that on peer pressure becuase my friends always say "do you want something to eat" and there is too much peer pressure so i cant say no. Also i have experienced "peer pressure, ive been offered weed on many occasions and if i didnt feel like smoking id said "nah" and if i felt like it id say "sure." and this one time my buddy came up to me and was like "do you wanna go to the mall" and i said no. and he was like "all the cool kids are goin" and then i felt so pressured by my peers that i had to go. *total sarcasm in that last sentence* *makes fun of "peer pressure" in that last sentence*

im just saying you shouldnt blame peer pressure for your mistakes.
Doylie wrote: a smoker should not influence or try to persuade other people to smoke pot. How does the smoker know if the person is going to adopt weed as a lifestyle and as a result screw up their life?
a person who eats should not influence or try to persuade other people to eat. how does the eater know if the person is going to stop eating. the person could continue to eat untill they are 300 lbs and this could ruin their life. or a person who drives should not influence or try to persuade other people to drive. how does the driver know if the person is capable of driving. the person could get in a car, becuase someone else told them to, and they could crash into a tree and die. all because they were influenced to drive a car. i think i made my point with this whole influencing thing.

Brian Warner

Doylie
BSOS Beast

Post by Doylie » 04 Jul 2003 18:29

Bull-f*ckin-shit it made your point about influencing people.
Lets look at some more examples shall we. I was a Heroin addict, and i was asking my friends to come and shoot up with me, i'm sure most people would say "don't try and influence them to do heroin with you. you can ruin your own life and thats fine, but don't drag other people down with you". Truth be told, heroin is far less addictive (some 10 times less addictive) than nicotine, but people would still have a huge problem with me offering someone some. Why? Because it has the potential to fuck you up. Your life could go down the shitter. This is exactly the same with weed. No one can argue that weed can potentially fuck up your life very severely. You can't compare this to something like going shopping or eating. They are completely different in nature. When something such as weed is so unnecessary and potentially carries such a high price for addiction, don't you think it is in the least bit irresponsible to encourage others to do it? Keep it to yourself if you love it that much.
Mark Roberts
Australian Footbag

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 04 Jul 2003 19:18

I smoke pot as much as I shop. I know this, because every two weeks when my cheque comes in, I go buy shit, pay bills, and smoke pot to start another cycle.

:)
Adam Dexter