Skippy's Footblog (Skippy stars in: FINALLY, SOME PROGRESS)

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 06 May 2006 22:35

Yeah, those were some killer Lavers, my good man. If Josiah didn't patch it up, I might have gone AWOL on those ripped areas. Hell, if you send me your Lavers, I'm sure as hell giving some free time in repairing the mesh. Mark my words!

New Climas? Skippy in da hizzy!

edit: I'm effin' blazed now. I noticed how retarded the last sentence was after a few minutes of typing.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Stefan
Multidex Master

Post by Stefan » 07 May 2006 06:05

Dan I got my Lavers! I ordered them in a 9.5 and I pray to god they fit. :?

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 09 May 2006 17:00

Mary-jane march was a bunch of fun. So glad I went. It's funny, cause the next day, my brother was like, "So what'd you do yesterday?" And I seriously thought about it, and was like, "I don't remember." And he reminded me that I was playing footbag in Toronto, and hinted that I was at Weed March, and it was funny because I made the stupid stoner mistake of not remembering what I had done the day before. Oh well.

I brought a friend of mine, Kara along with me. I used to play hack with her back when I was in highschool, but lost touch with her. Anyway, just recently I sent her a footbag video and she was really interested! I didn't have to do any arm twisting to convince her to get lavers. She seems really excited to learn, and that's such an awesome thing. Anyway, I'm glad she got out to see some footbag, and I really hope that soon Ontario will have one more wicked shredita.

That's basically it. I haven't really hit anything new yet, really. Although I'm getting mad close to toe diving symposium pixie. It feels really neat, so I'm hoping I can seal the shit out of it.

That's all.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip Hard 2: Skip Harder
Skip Hard With A Vengeance
Coming soon. Yippee-kieaye-eh?
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 27 May 2006 13:34

Session with Josh Lackey the other day at the school near my house. I found out that there's a four-square court there, which means I will be using it when I can get some people down for it.

highlights from my side of the session were:
pixie symple legover (symple magellan?)
pixie symposium mirage
annnnnnd I almost got my pixie set high enough to duck. Say what! Anyway, that's about it as far as new stuff. I hit some clean DLOs and a couple phat strings, so all in all it was a good session.
EDIT: Oh, I also hit a string with some consecutive symple pickups, and it got me to realize that it's a pretty styley consecutive trick.

In other news, I have a bid going on some climas right now. Straight up, I'm stoked. I can't wait to shred in some tight shoes again. Here's hoping they fit nice and snug. I will post pictures of them as soon as they're mine!!!!
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 28 May 2006 12:14

Phew! Bidding is getting tight. I really hope I get these shoes. Playing in these loose floppy lavers is really getting frustrating!!! Wish me luck. I really need new shoes, and it's hard to find em in my size!! Grauugh!

EDIT: I WON!!!!!!! FINALLY. Got em for a cool 71 bucks. The bidding was fierce in the last minute, but I prevailed. I'm ecstatic. Now I just have to get them paid for and they'll be on their way. I'm afraid I probably won't get them before Montreal though, which means that I'll be playing like shit at that event. Booo. Ah well.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 10 Jun 2006 07:01

Haven't updated here in a while. Footbag has been treating me decently lately. I went to the Montreal Spring Jam, which was really fun. Lots of awesome people and good playing which was wicked. I hit sooooome new stuff, but nothing huge.

The biggest thing right now is that I think I have the beginning of shin splints....I guess if I stop playing footbag for now and give em a rest I'll be fine, but it sucks, nonetheless. Since I got back from Montreal I've been back to playing about an hour a day, or at least, I WAS back to playing an hour a day. But I keep on forgetting to stretch, and I think I'm finally paying for it. So now I gotta relax on the footbag a little bit and start stretching, I guess. I'm not sure what stretches I should be doing, but I need to do them, straight up.

I also wanna start building a little bit of muscle. I dunno if I should achieve this by going to the gym, or just doing sit ups everyday. Prolly the latter would do the trick. I just want to look good, cause I don't think my body's really looked all that great since like, kindergarten.

I think that's basically all right now. The climas have been paid for, and should be on their way, so hopefully in 4 or so days, I'll be busy modding up some new shoooooes!!!!!!
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 16 Jun 2006 14:21

The climas came in! Sick shit!! I'm stoked. I've modded one, somewhat. No silicone yet, and I didn't take off all the stripes...but I was making a mess of it so I figured I'll take a break till my hands stop hurting from pulling so much on those stupid fins and stripes.

The shoes are a liiiiiittle small. I've decided to go ahead and mod them and shred in them anyway, with the intention of maybe buying some clima 3s before the end of the summer that are the right size. I feel like if I stretch these ones out they may fit though...they don't seem to be ridiculously small, although I may just be kidding myself because I paid 100 dollars for them and I want for them to fit. We'll see. I plan to see what happens if I stick big, hard, heavy objects inside the shoe overnight....I think that'll work. I'd like to know if doing the fabric mod on the toe will make a difference in breaking in. I basically want to do anything I can to make this shoe just a little bit bigger. My feet would be perfectly comfy with like...an 1/8" more space. Ah well.

Anyway, I'm gonna give em a try tonight and we'll see how they play!
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 03 Jul 2006 14:29

Holy crap!!! I hit my first infinity!!! Like 2 seconds ago!! I'm stoked!

That's all!
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 05 Aug 2006 07:35

I am so stoked about footbag recently. I've been playing more recently than I did all summer, and I'm seeing a hugggggge improvement. At least, huge for me. I guess I can't say that I've been busting large, but I've definitely made an improvement on my game. My strongside clippers are becoming a lot more form-correct, which is basically improving all the tricks that I do from clipper. Most notably, (and what really inspired me to write in here) I hit 2 spinning clippers in one string. That may not be so sick for anybody other than me, but for me this is like the revolution or something. I'm just really excited, because I feel that if I can spin twice in one string, it means my spinning is better balanced than it ever has been!! And THAT means that I'll be able to use it a bit more often. Now the spins weren't back to back, they were seperated by some mirages and pickups, but it's still pretty exciting for me, especially since it was 11 PM, outside, with a black bag, black pants, and my black lavers. :P I play best in bad conditions apparently. I've hit a couple new tricks as well, although nothing both sides. I'm still pretty brutally one-sided, but I think my bothside stuff is coming up a little. Anyway, here's the new stuff that I can remember hitting.
symp. rev. whirl (from clipper or toe...doesn't make much diff tho.)
pixie rev. whirl
symple butterfly

Annnnnd I footed spinning reverse whirl.

There may be some other new stuff, but my brain hasn't been working...well, for a while.

Which brings me to my next point: I gotta start cutting back on the chronic. I've been smoking everyday basically for 3 years now and I think it's beginning to take it's toll.So I'm gonna try and not smoke by myself as much anymore. That should cut it back a lot, and then I'll assess it from there.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 06 Aug 2006 11:39

I think I hit spinning symp reverse whirl today! 5 adds!! I gotta work on it though... I say I THINK I hit it because I tried it a whole bunch of times and got reeeeeally close on a lot of them, but I feel like I hit it and got really stoked about it. I also hit my first stepping set today!!! I wasn't able to do a trick out of it, so no stepping tricks just yet, but it's a start! WOOOOOOOO FOOTBAG
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 06 Aug 2006 12:24

Great-to-read-up-on-your-progress,-Skip!-I-can't-wait-to-head-to-Kingston-to-shred-it-up-with-my-Canadian-homeys! :P

edit: Broken spacebar. It's not like I have to note in every post I make about a broken spacebar from said computer I use to check fizzied.
Last edited by Wasabi on 08 Aug 2006 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

SandWraith
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SandWraith » 06 Aug 2006 17:40

Congrats-on-the-improvement!--It's-always-nice-to-feel-like-your-effort-is-paying-off.--Keep-rockin-the-bag.-- :)
Zach Marine - Member of the Tendonitis Club!
blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 18 Aug 2006 11:32

Thanks for reading guys!

I've been so footbag lazy recently..at the same time as making some progress, I'm definitely not at all where I wanted to be by the end of the summer. Boo!!! Anyway, the main point of this post is that I've decided to release basically all the footbag footage I've taken since last year. This'll include several sessions from Toronto, possibly some stuff from Rochester NYJ, GRASS 2006 footage (The only shred that was filmed at GRASS) and then some of my solo shred footage will be tacked onto there. Anyway, that's basically what this message is about. A heads up for this vid! I'm prolly gonna go around and PM some people and make sure they're alright about me releasing their shred onto the net. Hopefully everybody will be able to get the message.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 10 Sep 2006 13:55

Work on the video is coming slowly. I'm so all over the place all the time. I'm a nut. Anyway, the main part of this post:

PS REV WHIRL

Yeah that's right. Flip clipper is FINALLY starting to come into fruition for me, which is really wicked feeling. I'm also getting close-ish to paradon, and I think I realized the key to stepping! I'm so happy recently with footbag, because my brain has started to understand it in a bit of a different way that it's improving my game. I keep on being able to figure out why I can't do a trick, and then I do it! It hasn't worked with nemesis yet....but soon (like...2 years soon)!!! :P Anyway, I can't wait for KICKASS2. I'm really stoked to show all the footbag people I haven't seen in a year the amount that I've progressed. I can't wait to chill with all the awesome people that a footbag tournament brings out. This'll basically be the anniversary of my first tourney, so it's really special.

Also, last night I hit spinning russian hand stall. I'm gonna bust it at KICKASS2 and blow minds.

EDIT: not many people know about the russian hand stall. I am an expert. You'll find out.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 11 Sep 2006 17:53

I'm pissed. I had a wicked sick 3 in mind for KICKASS, and I haven't had enough time to get good enough to hit it yet. Damn. Ah well. Keep practicing, hopefully I'll be better by next year.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 11 Sep 2006 18:57

I have a wicked cool stall that's similar to Gordon Scott Bevier's armpit catch. I will try to show you my version at Kickass 2.

And PS rev. whirl! Cool beans!

Stoked! 8)
NYFA represent.

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 19 Sep 2006 06:54

HOLY SHIT GUYS

I was just screwing around playing footbag in pants in class yesterday, and then something just clicked in my brain and I understood stepping set. I didn't hit a single one yesterday while I was playing in pants, but I played for a bit in shorts today and really started clearing the set WAY easier than ever before. I'm so excited, because I felt like I would never get it, and all of the sudden I just realize exactly what I have to do in order to get a nice clean dex. I can't even describe it really. I just feel like recently I've been really using my entire body a lot more in footbag...like everything changes the way you're positioned and balanced and can make a move either easy or hard....so I feel like as soon as everything of my upper body is really balanced, I can hit anything....but like, tricks like osis require a weird type of balance that I can't really figure out yet. I've been getting closer to it, a little, but it's still giving me trouble. Anyway, I'm damned excited. I feel like once again, I'm just stepping up my level just a pinch, and soon I'll be a shredding machine...well, I mean, maybe by next summer. Hahaha. Anyway, I'm sure anybody reading this is gonna be at KICKASS, so, seeya there.

Oh and, if you're reading this and you're not going to KICKASS, then 'word up' for reading my blog.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 19 Sep 2006 07:56

SEE YOU SOON SKIPPY!!!
Pengpeng Du

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 19 Sep 2006 22:04

SKIPPAY!!!!!!!!!!
NYFA represent.

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 22 Sep 2006 06:01

I'm really excited, guys. I can't wait till KICKASS. I'm supposed to get a new job before then, which will be tough to book off my first weekend of work, but I have to come! I've been mentally preparing Tina (Tina Tercel, my car) with some different sorts of exercises, so hopefully she'll be ready to make the trip. I really can't wait. And plus, I'll be driving Jorden Moir, Johnny Suderman and Taishi (now that I think of it, I don't know Taishi's last name.) Anyway, that's like, a star studded footbag carload. I'm stokedstokedstoked! WOooooOoOoo! Footbag!

My climas are actually stretching out a bit! Theyre still pretty tight, yeah, but they are slowly starting to fit. Maybe I'll spray paint them before I come to kickass, just for fun.

I'm actually using flip clipper sometimes now! Once again, like every other time I learn a trick, it seems like my overall body position was throwing me off the whole time. It really makes me wonder if my game would be so limited if I could figure that stuff out faster...and it kinda leads me to believe that the key to getting better faster is having a good idea of what your body can and cannot do (which I recall talking with Jorden about a little). For people who are into sports already I guess this maybe comes naturally? It just all seems so new to me, considering Phys Ed in grade 9 was my last real workout. I'm still getting sore muscles where I didn't even actually think there were muscles to get sore....which, although it kinda sucks (recently I've been really sore on the inside of my thigh I think...it seems to be from practicing stepping) it also reminds me that that's muscles building! And eventually those won't get sore all the time and I'll have beefy muscle legs that can do stepping sets galore with the greatest of ease. I'm really really excited. Footbag can only get more fun from here. Woooooo!!!!
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip-blog