The best codec

Footbag videos and footbag related videos such as takraw, freestyle soccer, etc.

Which codec is best for sharing on the Internet?

MS WMV 9+ -- Adopt early! Force everyone else to too!
23%
MS WMV >8 -- Use new technology, but keep it accessible.
5%
MPEG-1 -- The ubiquitous standard. Completely accessible by everyone.
25%
QT .MOV -- Quick Time Rocks!
18%
DivX -- DivX Rocks!
30%

Total votes: 40

Allan

The best codec

Post by Allan » 14 Sep 2003 20:07

Someone suggested this poll a while ago. While I don't think these polls are of much use, it might help in this instance for people publishing videos.

What leads me to post this is all the video's being published in wmv 9.

Can someone please do a comparison between a file rendered in wmv 9 with one done in wmv 7 ? I'd like to know what the big difference is. Does it shaved 1.35 megs off the file size? Does it stream all that much better? Picture quality? What?!?

Why would you publish something in a codec that forces many people that try to view your video to upgrade their player? Even if I ran windows, downloading a new codec for every new video out there seems a bit weird.

Whatever your feelings are about Microsoft or whatever - I don't really care. I don't run windows. I run Mac. I'm not alone. I'd just like to be able to download videos without having to search for codec updates every other month. If something superior comes out that justifies an upgrade, I'm all for it. But just because MS adds a tweak here or there doesn't mean everybody should just hop on the bandwagon.

I know it really doesn't matter all that much - it'd just be nice if their was some sort of standard that everybody could view without having to download the latest bloatware from Bill.

deano*
Shredalicious

Post by deano* » 15 Sep 2003 04:07

i like the frame buy frame thing that you cant do on the quicktime player... thats awesome, but as for the actual codec goes i think it doesnt compress with the same great quality as you can get on divX or wmp files :?

so the vote goes .mov for accesibility to both mac and pc and the cool slowdown thing 8)

and divX or wmp for compression and quality (not accessability)

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 15 Sep 2003 08:44

allan: download this player. it is in the style of the old windows media player. but it plays the recent windows media 9 and realplayer and quicktime. its very hip :)

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/guli ... p?download

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 15 Sep 2003 11:25

I downloaded it, but it doesn't open. How come?
John D

Allan

Post by Allan » 15 Sep 2003 12:57

deano* wrote:i like the frame buy frame thing that you cant do on the quicktime player...
If you open mpeg-1 files in QT player, you can do the frame-by-frame thing with them too. I voted for mpeg-1 because of this.

File sizes are certainly a bit larger with mpeg-1 - if disk space is an issue for you - divX gets my vote.

Chan, I run Mac Os X. That link is for a Win32 based player. I can't do .exe's. Thanks anyways though :D

Adreniline
Circle Kicker

Post by Adreniline » 15 Sep 2003 14:05

If you are unable to view a vid, download the K-Lite codec pack; http://www.freecodecs.com/ (Under downloads)

wolfpac444
Your Friendly Admin

Post by wolfpac444 » 15 Sep 2003 14:50

"Hey Allan, just download the latest Windows Media Player from Microsoft update and everything should work...."

<rant>
Seriously people, how many times does Allan have to explain that he is using Mac OS X. The problem isn't that there is some codec / media player that exists which he doesn't have. The problem is that Microsoft (intentionally) does not provide for a way to view WMV9 files in OS X. At least us (x86) Linux people are able to use the precompiled DLL's that are bundled with WMP9...
</rant>

Mike

P.S Allan, if there is anything that you really want to see, I can always reecode it for you, although the files sizes are quite large if you want to maintain a decent quality.
Mike Hansen

Mystic Foot
Shredaholic

Post by Mystic Foot » 15 Sep 2003 15:53

wha? when did allan start talking on the forums again? that great! (i havent been on the forums in like 3 months, so...)
Monkey see, monkey do.

Allan

Post by Allan » 15 Sep 2003 15:53

Mike Hansen wrote: Allan, if there is anything that you really want to see, I can always reecode it for you.
Thanks for the <rant> :lol: and the offer :)

If I really wanted to spend the time, I could probably get a linux media player and run it under X server (because OS X is *nix-based (OpenBSD variant called Darwin) I can do that) and compile the dll's.....

OR I could compile the dll's on my Linux box sitting here beside me.....

Don't get me wrong -- I want to see the shred, but that ain't gonna happen.

I could also just go to a web cafe or go use my dad's winbox....

OR you people could just cater to my demands and stop rendering in that horrible codec!!!

:lol:

full nelson
8-Bit Ninja

Post by full nelson » 15 Sep 2003 16:21

I like DivX. It's also the best I can export with using Premiere 6.5 so I don't really have a choice. I can't encode vid's in Windows Media for some reason.
Brad

Allan

Post by Allan » 15 Sep 2003 16:30

full nelson wrote: I can't encode vid's in Windows Media for some reason.
Your computer works! ;)

sand
Shredaholic

Post by sand » 15 Sep 2003 17:37

from now on im encoding all my vids in quicktime and wmv that way everytone is at least mildly happy. sound good?
Dave Clavens

Bethlehem Footbag Alliance
-http://www.freewebs.com/bethlehemfootbag-
CHECK IT

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 17 Jan 2004 03:33

Regarding codecs...

I've just started getting into editing. My first effort (11th Hour Jam) was encoded as wmv9 because, being new to video editing, I found it was the easiest to get a good quality clip at a relatively small MB size.

However, reading the posts here, I'd like to use the DivX AVI format (Most popular).

Can anyone suggest some settings for exporting clips as AVI's without loosing too much quality and without having a 188MB file for a 4min clip? I use Premier 7 Pro for editing because I find it's a very professional program, that promises so much as I come to learn it in more depth.
Comment in the BCS blog if you feel the need to.

Gareth Williams

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 17 Jan 2004 11:35

This thread is bothersome.

If you decide to get a Mac, dont complain to me (us, Modified) about not being able to watch videos because some stupid company doesnt like Macs or Mac users. Basically, you knew you wouldnt be able to watch certain videos before you got the Mac, yet you decided to get it anyway. Macs have its advantages apparently, which in your mind, outweigh its disadvantages. Live with it.

I should point out by the way, that for 6 months or so, I was only able to use a Mac and so I missed out on a lot of videos as well. I do know how you feel.

Lastly, I think that if some of us (specifically me, maybe others) knew how to export into .mov we would do it, just to satisfy all potential watchers. I however am not computer savy enough to figure out how to do it. So i do not. I I figure it out, all of my movies will be encoded in both formats as well.

Jeremy
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

david
Senor Buttercup

Post by david » 17 Jan 2004 12:24

i didnt interpret any of the commentrs made in this thread as complaining. i think allan was just trying to say that he wants to watch the videos, and if people changed the codec hed be able to.
david

Ale
Hack Fiend

Post by Ale » 17 Jan 2004 12:32

Kiser_Tobias wrote:Regarding codecs...
Can anyone suggest some settings for exporting clips as AVI's without loosing too much quality and without having a 188MB file for a 4min clip? I use Premier 7 Pro for editing because I find it's a very professional program, that promises so much as I come to learn it in more depth.
I had the same kind of problem until I realized that the audio track must be encoded too. Otherwise the audio will be in PCM-format and takes a lot of disk space. Although I haven't used Premiere I guess that there are some settings for audio compression. MP3-compression works fine and even on low data rate the audio quality is adequate. Also, for the video itself, try different bitrates something between 300-1000 and try to find the best for good quality/ small filesize.
Antti Lehikoinen

"sic enim dilexit Deus mundum ut Filium suum unigenitum daret ut omnis qui credit in eum non pereat sed habeat vitam aeternam"

TwistedTorque
Fearless

Post by TwistedTorque » 18 Jan 2004 17:50

I voted Mpeg. Although I can't find a codec for encoding footage with mpeg (anybody?). So I use DivX (would be my 2nd vote) & Mpeg4. I use DivX for the accessibility of it, and Mpeg4 for the quality that it produces. QuickTime can play mpeg4 if it is fully updated (I know, I know.. software downloads suck). And if you are using QuickTime you get what everybody wants who watches shred footage...frame by frame slow mo. This is also the WORST thing about Windows Media Player. No slow motion. I mean, come on, tailor to your audience.

Oh, and Macs rock.
Evan Lovely
Twitter
Personal Site
Sole Purpose Footbag Convert
Portland, OR