Israel Footblog - Training program

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Israel Footblog - Training program

Post by PoisonTaffy » 12 Jul 2009 14:52

I figured it's about time I started one of those, both for myself and to allow a peak into the emerging scene here in Israel.

About me: I'm Roy (pronounced Roei actually), 27, started freestyle footbag about 2 years ago, with very little hacky sack background before that. I work as a flash developer and am a part time economics student. I play guitar and sing in a punk band. I kick most of the time by myself (in a basement, too!), but am lucky to have a weekly hack session with some devoted hackers.
My goal in footbag is to be the world's best at having fun from playing :) I have much to learn.

About the scene: Hacky sacking attracted a small, loyal fan base for years before I started playing. I joined the scene with the sole purpose of playing freestyle, and I was the first to try it seriously, with the help of Josh Rose (MarvlMan) who was visiting at the time I started, got me my first pair of lavers and told me I was playing great when I could hit one out of 5 leg overs. Since then, several people got into freestyle, but so far no one stuck long enough to even get tiltless.
At the moment we have an organization running school and after school footbag programs, bi-yearly competitions for youth and adults, and the occasional demonstration or seminar at public or company events. The progression of both net and freestyle is currently halted due to the lack of equipment (freestyle shoes) and expertise (net), although our outreach to kids in the ages of 13-15 has been phenomenal.

I wish I had started a footblog way earlier, since I've had so many great things happening to me through footbag. However, I'm sure even more exciting things are yet to come and I can't wait to share them when they do.
Last edited by PoisonTaffy on 06 Nov 2012 00:33, edited 13 times in total.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 13 Jul 2009 04:04

Welcome to footblogland Roy.

Looking forward to read about your footbag endeavours.

See you soon!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Jul 2009 11:28

hey Roy, I'm really excited to meet you at worlds, it should be a great time!

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 13 Jul 2009 12:15

Roy Klein

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Roy's and Israel's footblog

Post by C-Fan » 14 Jul 2009 09:49

PoisonTaffy wrote:My goal in footbag is to be the world's best at having fun from playing :) I have much to learn.
I like that.

See you again in a week. :)

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 15 Jul 2009 05:59

I had a dream today where I'm flying to Australia to stay at Cope's place, and mid-flight I realize I forgot to order a connecting flight from Sydney to his town. Discomforting dreams like this one are my telltale signs that I'm all excited and just a tad anxious about an unknown experience approaching. I love traveling :)

Tomorrow I'm flying to Hamburg, staying with a good friend for two days, then hopping on a train to Berlin, getting there on Sunday noon.

Had only one session this week, trying to save up shrednergy.

Roy Klein

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 16 Jul 2009 10:26

the bus only cost 15 bucks from Sydney, and it is quicker than flying- when you include check in and all that jazz.

You should definitely come to Australia also.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 26 Jul 2009 08:57

I will soon be doing a write-up about worlds, once all the experiences sink in and I catch up on my sleep. The main theme of the write-up will be that it was hella fun, amazingly organized, and I am in a mild depression that the week is over.

In the mean time, I've uploaded my favorite non-personal pictures I took to a public web album:
http://picasaweb.google.com/RoeiKlein/W ... directlink

Roy Klein

Cope
Shredalicious

Post by Cope » 27 Jul 2009 01:00

No need to stress roy, ill pick you up from sydney airport. So have you booked your flights yet?
Im really disappointed i didnt make it to berlin! It sounds like I really missed out!
Nathan Cope

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 27 Jul 2009 01:06

Not yet, I'm waiting for your side of the planet to be closer to the sun :)
Yeah you missed out. Boyle didn't drink enough beer to make up for your absence!

Roy Klein

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 27 Jul 2009 05:01

Since I hardly slept on the last day of worlds (I tried to stay up as long as possible, and STILL missed the ceremony...), I went to sleep relatively early last night and woke up at around 7 today.

I decided to go play footbag by the beach before I go to work.

I live 10 minutes walk from the beach, so I packed my stuff and jogged there. I had a spot in mind, but when I got there I realized that it's not shaded, so I had to find another spot. Found a shaded one. It was too close to the sand and had tiled floor, but was good enough.

I Played for about 40 minutes (worked on stepping [sidewalks] and whirls) and then jumped in the water. It was an awesome way to start the day, but I highly doubt I'll be able to maintain it since I'm a serious night owl. I'll do my best to keep at it as long as possible, though.

Oh. and my browser crashed half way into my worlds write up. I doubt I'll find the mental will to redo it.

Roy Klein

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 27 Jul 2009 13:40

I can read about worlds elsewhere. I definitely want to read your updates in here though, achi. I have a feeling by the time I get healthy, you'll have leveled passed me.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 27 Jul 2009 21:55

I think you've got too much of a head start on me, plus I'm a slow learner :) but that doesn't mean I won't try!

Had another morning session, this time in my room. Hit 49 contacts of clipper->clipper->op clipper->clipper rpt.
I can't believe how tired I got around the 35th contact, after seeing vasek hitting a 160+ contacts not 3 days ago in front of my very eyes, like it was nothing. Next time I get a level up, I'll be spending my points on stamina.

This session I worked only on stepping and it went great. I hit tricks into sidewalk, out of sidewalk, both sides. By the end of the session I did sidewalks and ripwalks on command. At first I forced the movement, but towards the end I felt very springy about it, and hardly screwed up any set.
I want to start doing consecutive ripwalks asap.

Somewhere during worlds my left shoulder blade got cramped and it didn't subside at all yet. Really gets in my way of practice. I suspect it's due to the freezing pool water.

Roy Klein

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 28 Jul 2009 10:13

Had another session today! First time ever to have two sessions on a work day. This waking up early stuff leaves me a zombie at work at the moment, but splitting my spare time to two portions does have benefits - less wasted time.

I worked on whirls. Went wonderful - hit lots, missed few, felt good.
I've noticed that trying to do consecutive whirls or whirl->inifinity->whirl reverts me to crappy whirls.
Also did lots of consecutive illusions. Flip illusion remains my worst 2 add toe trick, and I'm not sure if I'm the-ing it. I'll need to film next session.

If you have drill suggestions for stepping or whirls, please share them here. I'd love new ideas or challenges to help me master these awesome tricks.

Roy Klein

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Jul 2009 10:03

ripwalk>whirl rpt
blur>toe whirl rpt
sidewalk>ripwalk rpt
stepping ss clip>stepping op clip rpt
blizzard> op butterlfy>blur> same butter rpt (replace the butterflies with clippers to begin)

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 29 Jul 2009 12:19

I can hit all of those if I try, but most of these links are too hard for the type of drill I'm looking for. I'll keep them as a challenge for when I feel I've drilled enough, but for now I need something with easier links so I'll drop less and have a better chance at hitting stuff in a good form.

I like the stepping ss clip>stepping op clip, though. I don't think I've ever tried either :)

Roy Klein

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 29 Jul 2009 12:23

Stepping ss clipper is harder than sidewalk, and will improve your stepping sets more than almost any other trick I can think of.

As for whirls, try doing whirl-ss clipper repeat as rhythmically as you can, or whirl -ss clipper-ss clipper repeat rhythmically.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 29 Jul 2009 22:34

Thanks Ken, stepping ss clipper is indeed awesome.

Had a morning session. Still having to struggle to get up and play. Hit 58 contacts on first try with my clipper->clipper->op clipper->clipper rpt drill, dropped out of fatigue. Next i'll be aiming at 50 clipper->op clipper.

Drilled stepping. Started again with bad sets, but ended up with what felt to me like great stepping sets. I had to remind myself to lift the knee and point it out, but later I noticed that if I open my hip outwards I hardly have to do that with my knee, the set is cleared allot easier. I hit 3 steppings (7 contacts) in clipper->stepping ss clip rpt on flip and 2 steppings on what i thought was my strong side. But they all felt perfect so I'm happy. Next time I'll get more contacts.
When my drill starts without a struggle to clear the sets, I'll start doing consecutive stepping drills with no clipper breaks in the middle.

Roy Klein

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 31 Jul 2009 08:35

Had an evening session last night working on whirls, huge improvements. I wish my stepping improved as fast, but sets have always been harder for me to improve.
Had an outdoor session with the hacky sackers today. Didn't play so great, my legs were aching and I wore long shorts that got in the way. But I hit lots & lots of whirls, both sides, mid run, from toe too, and did 38 contacts clipper->op clipper. Tried hitting some mid run stepping moves but that didn't go as smoothly.

I think this week I've had the most footbag time I've ever had in any week of my life. 7 sessions since monday.

I went this morning to a guitar shop with a friend to hear pedals and amps, and I was playing the solo of "Comfortably numb", and everyone stopped to listen :) Felt nice.

Roy Klein

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 31 Jul 2009 13:45

Comfortably numb has to rank in my top 5songs ever, have you got a video of your performance? :)P
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred