Jazzkid's Blog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Muffinman
the gimp

Re: Jazzkid's Blog

Post by Muffinman » 29 Oct 2012 11:57

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 09 Nov 2012 07:02

Well,

its been a while. I have been playing every now and then but not as much as I would like. Music has been most of my time. Anyway I have some SUPER EXCITING FOOTBAG NEWS........at the beggining of the school year, I gave a footbag presentation to a group of high schoolers at P.E. class. They seemed to thing it was cool but no interest other than that. The other day I was in the cafeteria about to eat when I starting talking to the lunch lady whose son also goes to the school . She said that her son has been driving her nuts and has been talking about footbag all day every day.... My eyes almost burst out of my head..."WHAT?" how could this be. She said that he has been practicing every day for over an hour for about a month now. I told her to give him my contact information and we could meet up. She informed me that her son was shy to come up to me because he had seen my utube videos and felt like he needed to be better to come see me. i told her that he needs to get his ass as soon as possible and come and see me. I scheduled a meeting the next day with him. The following day, he came into the band room. I had just finished my session and was more than warm to continue playing. He said that a couple of his friends were also interested and might stop by. Right away I saw that he bought a couple of different sand bags. He was super cool, he is in 10th grade about 5 foot 9 and skinny ....his friend who showed up was also a guy and skinny. I showed them effecient ways of doing inside kicks, inside stalls, and a couple of other things. .... Nicholas ( the dude) actually attempted a toe set ss atw. He was close....after explaining to him what motion needed to happen he understood the trick better.......IN 30 minutes....he went from crappy inside kicks to better control, he hit toe set opp legover bs more than once, inside catch, and both toe stalls. His friend wasnt doing as well as him but was excited and still doin well. They were both super thankful to meet and expressed interest in forming a club. At the school that I teach at , there are more than willing to add clubs , so today I will go find out exactly what I have to do, but......wow, I am actually talking about starting an ACTIVE footbag club here in New Orleans. Nicholas said that there were 3 more kids interested ....so I am going to run with this as much as I can. I can shcedule footbag class mutilple times a week and we have the band room to shred it which is airconditioned, has mats on the ground, a strerio system, and showers close by. I later found out that the kid didnt think he wanted to form a club because he felt like he would have less one on one. I then sent out an email talking about how lucky he would be to have a club and feed off of other players. So , Ill keep you posted.

I am super excited. recently I have been playing about twice a week. Last session I stepped on my foot and bloodied my knee so I am taking a couple of days off, but Im so ready to kick. The last five sessions I have worked primarily on BARFLY. I can proudly now say that THEY ARE CLEAN. at open I cleaned up my whirls and now i have cleaned up my barflys (still cleaning up). I have yet to work on blurriest and just focusing on barfly for now....even got close to barfly swirl, so the whole concept is improving.

I will be develepoing a reward point system for the club and am looking forward to teaching young players and also training with them . THIS WAS UNEXPECTED AND AWESOME.
SHRED HARD!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 09 Nov 2012 08:13

That is fantastic news on the footbag club. As for the rewards system, you might want to talk to Bruce Dole (dolercoaster on the forums). He put some time and effort into making something like that.

Keep us posted on the club progress.

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 09 Nov 2012 09:33

This sport needs more demos for teenage kids. Great job.

What's the idea of the reward system?

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 09 Nov 2012 11:06

Anz wrote:What's the idea of the reward system?
Basically, its all built around cheep beer. Thats what motivates America's teens.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 09 Nov 2012 11:11

Awesome :D
I can feel your enthusiasm!
I did a class for my old high school a bunch of years ago. It was a paid gig during their outdoor ed week at the end of the school year. The principal asked me if I was willing to do it after I'd done a show at the school's talent show (apparently it's all the kids were talking about since), either the year before or earlier that year. It was, like, 2 or 3 separate classes? I had a reward system, and how I implemented it was based on personal achievement. So whomever I felt was progressing significantly, based on how I perceived his (only guys again) skill level/natural ability, got a copy of a hack DVD I'd made. It's hard to explain, but it made sense. So, if one guy was really good and could do legovers from the get-go, but didn't really learn much beyond that over the course of the classes, I wouldn't have considered his progress to have been greater than someone who couldn't even kick to start, but managed to learn 5 toe stalls in a row. And then what I actually did following that was had little contests that I specifically geared kinda toward those who hadn't won anything yet, so that I orchestrated everyone eventually winning something and everyone gaining a feeling of accomplishment instead of really singling anyone out.

Also, I can relate to the guy who wants one-on-one time. I'd keep that in mind and if he shies away when more people are involved, maybe offer him some one-on-one time in some capacity until he feels more confident. I know for me at the beginning that could have made the difference between getting involved in the sport or giving up before even starting.

Good luck :)

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 10 Nov 2012 12:09

wow.....I hit the lottery of postings^.... Ken, Anz, Erik, John, wow......

I will ask bruce for sure. Thanks guys!! I am so excited about this....YEARS without any players except me and now boom our first member has already ordered lavers and more on the way. I told them we would get started as soon as shoes came in. If we have 5 members i will flip out. Yesterday I went to the high school principal to ask about getting an official club. after a demonstration in dress pants (dropless with a ripstein on the end) she loved it and told me that I would have to assign two officers to write a presentation to why they should have a footbag club in the school and then we could meet anytime I scheduled. SO its on!!..

As far as a reward system ..I have an idea but not sure yet which way to go.

I feel that americans typically learn about footbag through hacky sac----even though kicking is important I feel that this club should be the opposite idea. I feel that the players should represent a FUN, STRICT, and MACHINE like dedication in the game. of course , i have not yet spent weeks working with them yet , but their initial enthusiaism is high and I feel that I can capitilize on it.
reward System idea 1. they could compete against themselves. every time a player hits a new trick ..they would get a point next that trick under their name. then, when that player can hit the move (toe stall for example) 10 times in a row in a controlled way ...they would then get a footbag sticker next to the trick symbolizing that they have it on lock down. the goal of course would be to have all players with basic components on lock down. Every time a players gets a trick on lock down their name would go into a hat .....the name picked would get a free footbag, or shoelaces, or a water bottle, or insoles, or a free footbag video.

more on this later.....any suggestion would be appreciated.
FOOTBAG !
SHRED HARD!

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 14 Nov 2012 13:49

SHRED HARD!

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 14 Nov 2012 15:14

This video is Private. :(

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 14 Nov 2012 20:34

video public
SHRED HARD!

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 21 Nov 2012 19:11

SHRED HARD!

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 24 Nov 2012 07:01

SHRED HARD!

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 03 Dec 2012 19:13

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9qeiODJ ... r_embedded[/youtube]

nick hit legover bs, ss mirage bs, atw both ways, wrap bs, and inside>toe>toe>inside
SHRED HARD!

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 04 Dec 2012 10:29

Your double downs look way better then they did at US open! I can't really tell if they are perfectly clean from the video but they certainly look clean and way smoother then in portland.

As always your swirls are amazing. Nice new player!
Dustin Rhodes

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 06 Dec 2012 16:06

Dustin ...thanks so much man.....Ive been working double downs alot....I love the trick and I want to be able to hit it clean ...... And Ive actually been working on my ripsteins alot too im trying to catch the bag close to me and make the dexes tigher.....

Today I worked whirling swirls....I hit
toe set whirling swirl ...which instantly made me want to try blurry whirling swirl...and today...I FINALLY HIT IT !!!! got it three times this session....its actually kind of weird...because my whirling swirl on that side is not hard, but its big, and not tight....so it lands far away from me.....to hit blurry whirling swirl the swirl felt alot tighter than im use to ....the first hit felt smooth and effortless ...thats why I did the wierd giggle after I hit it....the next hit was harder for me

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YrWn5exTqA[/youtube]
SHRED HARD!

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 09 Dec 2012 15:32

swirling rev up
phasing rev up bs
symp atmoic swirling twirl>osis>p blender>osis>p blender>dyno>barfly
swirling ss symp mirage>pixie ss swirl
one run- swirling rev up , ripstein bs, far swirl bs, toe ss swirl bs, pixie ss swirl >drop on swirling spinning butterfly
gyro mirage >pixie ss swirl bsos
whirling swirl bsos
mobius >bw
symp atomic dyno
swirling ss dlo bs :footbag:
SHRED HARD!

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 10 Dec 2012 09:56

yeah I remember you working on double downs then and they were still kinda thin sometimes. Much better now :)

blurry whirling swirl is sweet! Have you ever tried symposium twirl or revup? I'm liking both those a lot. I'm close to spinning/gyro symposium twirl I think.

reverse swirling symp whirl is also a fun trick which is much less common then whirling swirl.

Hopefully we get to kick again sometime soon!
Dustin Rhodes

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 10 Dec 2012 13:39

yeah ...I use reverse swirling symp whirl alot...and ive tried and hit symp twirl and rev up...just dont use them as much...but Ill revisit them.....Thanks for the comment...I really want to clean up the double downs as much as I can..... Dude...I wish we were having a session right now :)

today I got this....Ive been working towards a sick link but havent hit it yet.....did get symp atomic swirling twirl, and symp atomic swirling gyro pickup....kept getting close to symp atomic swirling ss dlo but no hit yet..
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_gB0ObGuhc[/youtube]
SHRED HARD!

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 11 Dec 2012 09:46

SHRED HARD!

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 11 Dec 2012 10:32

What you should hit is Symp Atomic Swirling Gyro Symp Mirage.