Hi.

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 20 Mar 2011 11:20

Well, speaking of fairy attempts last year...I just hit, I guess, fairy ss muted butterfly a couple days ago.

I found a roomy and lit up spot in the main building of the apartments I am living at. I have been playing a few times a week for maybe a month now.

I feel that my game has really improved since I started playing again. I am able to play to music and keep the bag up a lot longer than I expected. When listening to music, I always pictured certain tricks and runs to play to it but never imagine me actually doing so so soon. It's exciting! Haha. For example, I was listening to Disturbed and hit diving osis mid-run to a part of the music that seemed fitting. I know I say this all the time, but I really want to start getting some sort of routine set up for when I ever compete...

I have also been working on double-dexing tricks lately. For one, my greatest goal is smear. It has been for years (since my last goal to hit whirl), and I am so close! I just need to perfect my pixie set so that it sets straight up infront of me, and I need to be just a bit quicker before the hop.

Now that my datws are kinda sorta solid, as I said, I have been working on similar double-dexy tricks. Tuukka started it a while ago when, I think he was joking, for me to hit barfly and maybe dod or something. It sparked my interest but at the time, I was nowhere near ready for it. Now those tricks are not too far out of reach!

Maybe I should start giving swirling sets a shot, too...
Chrissy Fryer

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 21 Mar 2011 08:55

Hiya!

"inspired by Ben"
cracks me up every time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 21 Mar 2011 11:36

<3
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

pips
Multidex Master

I hit smear!

Post by pips » 17 Sep 2011 15:05

After whirl, smear has been the one trick I've always wanted to hit ever since I learned about footbag. Well, I finally hit it yesterday! Woohoo!!!!!

I have been training for a ToughMudder event here in Texas. I give Insanity and all that I've been doing (weight training, pilates, yoga, footbag) some credit for hitting this trick. I've seen a huge improvement in my game...in my overall fitness since I've been working hard at it :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNH_4vUmbgY[/youtube]
Chrissy Fryer

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 18 Sep 2011 03:31

props

pips
Multidex Master

Re: Hi.

Post by pips » 25 Nov 2012 15:38

Boo.
Chrissy Fryer

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 25 Nov 2012 16:06

hello

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 25 Nov 2012 16:11

What's going on? I haven't been on here in a while. Checked in to see some videos and check on events.
Chrissy Fryer

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 25 Nov 2012 16:21

Over all it's pretty slow here lately. A few of us are writing blog posts regularly, Roy Klein is working on developing a new site for people to hang out in, and Air has stepped up to run the Christmas Calendar this year. What's been going on with you?

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 25 Nov 2012 16:43

Just moved back home outside Pittsburgh, PA. Trying to find a job and get settled in. Playing footbag a few times a week/month. Trying to make it more often and film myself some, but there's always something more pressing that needs to be done.
Chrissy Fryer

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 26 Nov 2012 13:57

Good luck with the move Chrissy! Hope everything is going well for you.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Dec 2012 08:23

Hey Chrissy,

Glad to hear you came back and are playing again. How far outside of Pittsburgh are you? I'm at PSU and our club here kicks all the time. If you're close enough and would like to come kick with us sometime, that would be cool. My girlfriend has been kicking and she can do some stuff, like Mirage, Clippers, and other stuff. She was learning Pixies last night. I know how uncommon it is to have a girl playing footbag, so if you're trying to kick with a fun club that has a girl player in it, PSU would be your best and closest bet :) Let me know, we've got plenty of crash space too. And for anyone who visits, we normally stitch them a footbag for free, just for traveling out. I live in an apartment with 2 other players, Nathan Pipenberg and Ivan Iakamenko. My girlfriend would definitely like to meet you and kick with you. Hope to hear back from you.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Zjeezy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Zjeezy » 02 Dec 2012 23:19

Pittsburgh is closer to me than PSU and his lame crew. We should try and organize something in the Midwest!
zach jahner

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 27 Dec 2012 14:01

Montana's not close at all, but you can drive here if you want
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 20 Mar 2013 16:01

Haha, Kevin. I just may venture out that way and through the Midwest sometime! I'd definitely like to make a visit to PSU some weekend for a session. What are you like two hours away? Sorry, I just now saw all your responses to my last post.
Chrissy Fryer

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 21 Mar 2013 08:52

Hey Chrissy,

I'm glad that you're back on the East Coast (well, almost, kinda sorta...). Welcome back.

Were you aware that the Penn State Posse was planning a Jam/Tourney/Mystery Event next month?

http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23291

It'd be nice to see you there.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 18 Jun 2013 18:26

Where's all the Worlds hype? I'm going! That being said, Iron Clad Ben and I are reserving rooms in a multi-3. Looking for a third! I can't wait. I can't wait. I can't wait. This is going to be awesome!!! Heh :P
Chrissy Fryer

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 25 Aug 2013 13:37

I know it’s been practically a month, but here is my Worlds write-up. I wanted to put it down “on paper” for something to look back on later and just haven’t had a chance to do it. So here goes:

Saturday the 27th
- Customs at the airport interrogating me about my trip and asking all sorts of questions about footbag
- Getting lost in Montreal with Ben, trying to find the UQAM, and we passed it up quite a few times before realizing it
- Bumping into Cassy and some others checking in to the residences
- Caroline and Hania jumping out from a doorway, trying to scare us as we approached our room
- Just chilling at the multi-8 and checking out the event site
- Eating at the M4 burrito place. Just because of their mango-pineapple salsa, the place beats Chipotle, Freebirds, etc. in my book! They were so generous with their portions, I was too full to really play that night.
- Not recognizing Johnny Suderman for some reason as I was sitting down next to him, and he remembered my name when he greeted me
- Partying and watching Cassy and the boys kick all night long

Sunday
- Trip to the Chinatown Asian markets with Ben and Felix. Tried all sorts of exotic fruits from there like lychees, mangosteen, jackfruit, and some spikey, grape-like fruit. And mangos, of course!
- Ben carrying a whole box of bananas back to the UQAM. Ken walking into our room…“holy f*cking bananas!”
- Breakfast with Ken, Waylon, Drew, and Dante. Mmm, crepes!
- Shopping with Ken and Waylon for water, and I found some freaking dragonfruit! I always wanted to try that stuff just because of the name and then after seeing a picture of its flesh…
- Walking with Ben and Felix to the Tam Tam. We were having such a good time talking, we lost sight of where we were going a couple times.
- The Tam Tam! I always wanted to go to a drum circle, and it really set the mood there and goes well with footbag. Too many times did I kick to the beats and really lose myself in the moment.
- Meeting Roy Klein
- The guy in the drum circle banging to a metal garbage can. He broke his sticks (literally tree sticks) and kept playing with the stubs and then with his hands. And then he picked the whole dang can up and balanced it on his shoulders before slamming it on the ground. Guy was ripped!
- Walking back in the rain as Cassy and some others drove past, teasing us
- Partying at Nick’s. Listening to Adam about his tree-growing job. Grilled pineapple. Watching cool, effed up music videos on Youtube with Drew and Anton. Playing some wild card game with Johnny and others. So much stuff going on in that game. What was it called, old-fashioned what?

Monday
- Practicing at the residences and quitting not even 10 minutes in, because I fell (bad surface)
- Coffee with Cassy before the event site
- Fresh bread and bananas at the event site
- Shredding/practicing with everyone
- Women’s semi-finals circle…not too bad
- Getting mixed up with the wrong group to go eat poutine for lunch…ending up eating Mexican with Anton, Drew, Tabea, Chris, and Waylon
- Practicing…re-hashing my routine with Ken at the event site. Caroline and Hania joining.
- Partying at the multi-8. Cassy and Evan and the boys kicking all night.

Tuesday
- Coffee, fresh bread, Nutella without a knife at the event site
- Shredding/practicing with everyone.
- Meeting Mat Churney and seeing his crazy moves
- Singles routine. Meh! I dropped more than I wanted, but I kept the pace up pretty well. I was satisfied with my performance.
- Eating at the vegetarian buffet with Mathieu, Hania, Caroline, and others. Wanting to splurge but holding back due to competition. Taking a piece of lemon cream cake and hazelnut cake to go for later.
- Shred 30. Although, I didn’t hit as tough tricks as I wanted (never crossed my mind to hit that at the moment), I went dropless!
- Inhaling my cakes after Shred 30. Mmm!
- The server at the Thai restaurant we ate at for dinner. He seemed a little disturbed a large group of us walked in and then was so nit-picky about everything. No lunch for dinner. No skipping on the order around the table because you didn’t know what you wanted at the moment...
- Trying to skip from one dot to the next on the sidewalk to and from the restaurant
- Oh, you know. Partying. The Evan and the boys kicking all night. I think we played poker with $2 buy-ins, using cards from another game as chips.

Wednesday
- Walking to Old Montreal, because Anton and Adam didn’t wait for me the night before, and I kept waking up too early compared to everyone else
- Meeting Caro again
- Women’s final circle. Much more satisfied with the stuff I hit, but I was so mad at my last drop. I had such a good plan in place and had to drop on the set-up…
- Poutine at last! Was such a long walk to get there but totally worth it.
- The video contest and Hall of Fame ceremony
- Partying at the UQAM, managing to get a few people out
- We followed a local girl who’s been hanging out at the event for so long until we were awkwardly lead into this low-key club.
- Some homeless kid trying to score some change with this awesome story about how he just wanted a few bucks to spare as he was holding more than a few bucks to spare in his hand.
- Dancing to a few songs. Leaving that club because it was lame.
- Finding another club that wasn’t as lame. I swear the DJ’s equipment was losing battery power, and the songs kept slurring every now and then. Didn’t seem intentional.
- Leaving that club and finding trashed furniture on the sidewalk. Drew beating the crap out of it! Me getting worried he was going to get us (mostly-Americans) in trouble.
- Walking back to the official Worlds party at the Quartier Latin. Meeting a few of the net players and Jindrich before heading back to the multi-8.
- Trying to climb the windows in the multi-8 to the loft above. Me waving to the girl pointing at us in the car passing by. Drew falling. Anton falling (everybody’s ok!).

Thursday
- Fresh bread and Nutella at the event site! I looked forward to that stash and relied on it every day.
- Bumping into Kendall, Lisa, and Tuan at the coffee shop
- Watching the net games get more serious
- Becca (the newest Hall-of-Famer!) joining a circle I was in
- Meeting Camille for the first time!
- Kicking with Camille, Caro, Caroline, Cassy, and Hania
- Swimming with Ben and Camille
- Warning Camille about the bananas before we went to our room. Camille wondering what I am talking about and stating I wasn’t kidding about the bananas when she walked in.
- Felix beatboxing at this awesome venue with this awesome group. Just chilling with a club full of footbaggers was enough.
- Me flashing Andrew, Ben, and Camille. Note to self…you cannot try to jump and touch things high up in a dress! You already learned this not too long before!
- The advertisement of the man pole-dancing on our walk back to the UQAM. Ben climbing a pole shortly after and balancing on it. Johnny trying to do the same, but he kept spinning.
- Partying. I think this was the night we played around outside. Anton taught me how to steal balls from each other juggling and some other juggling moves.

Friday
- Bread!
- Kendall brought me some coffee while watching one of the net games
- Trying to practice my routine, but my legs just would not cooperate anymore. They were already screaming at me at the beginning of the event!
- Swimming with Ben and Ianek
- My routine. More people were there to watch and I wasn’t as satisfied with my overall performance. I was happy to throw in the whirls and other uniques as planned, though! Hearing the props from others helped me feel better about myself. It really is pretty tough, and the guys make it look so easy! It wasn’t until then, I realized even the guys throw in some toe stalls and clippers, etc. I originally didn’t plan for any of that and was practically shredding to the music. Much thanks to Ken for helping me out at the last minute!
- Eating a burrito at M4
- Le Fouf! Oh my gosh, such an awesome place. It was the end of competition, I was in good company…I just let go that night and had the time of my life. How many of you did I ask for a beer? I know I had quite a few!
- Not really remembering our walk back to the residences, but I do remember we went as a large group and were pretty loud and obnoxious.
- Camille apparently shared her last beer with me, but I didn’t drink it (cut myself off), and Dan replaced it with water anyways. Lots of water. Thank you, Dan!
- Falling asleep on the couch in the loft, and Jyri laid me on his lap

Saturday
- Watching net…playing net with Ken and Fletcher
- Kicking at the Place des Arts. I didn’t really even kick much. Ianek gave me pointers on foot juggling, schooled me on my pixie and stepping sets, and he challenged me to hit dyno. Took a minute, but I did it both sides!
- The shuttlecock circle. Dragonfly kicks, butt stalls, chest bumps, etc. :P Was a great way to still kick but take it easy on my legs.
- Ice cream with Camille
- Watching the final net games
- Eating M4 for the last time
- Finally going to watch the fireworks with Camille, Ianek, Ken, and Erik and his girl
- Chilling at the multi-8, not wanting to get ready to go soon. Saying my goodbyes with Ken at the official Worlds party. Losing Ken.
- Hanging out at the multi-8 again, still not wanting to go soon
- Foot-rubs with Johnny
- Went to go to le Fouf, but Johnny forgot his ID. Running into a couple of guys wearing blow-up sumo wrestling costumes, offering free kicks. I chest bumped one. Johnny kicked one. I felt for sure Johnny busted the guy through his costume, but he just laughed and walked on, offering more free kicks!
- Everyone dancing and posing for us outside the UQAM window as we were leaving for the airport that night

Gosh, I had such a good time and can’t wait to do it again. I love footbag! Oh yeah, and Ben’s roller thing was awesome. Without that (and the carpeted surface at the event site), I wouldn’t have been able to kick as much as I did.

I kicked once or twice since then, and I managed to hit dyno bsos. I think I actually repeated a simple string with it about 4 or 5 times.
I attempted symple swirl (another challenge from Ianek), and I am soo close to hitting it. I tried so hard last time, but I just couldn't play anymore and had to call it quits.

It was nice to just kick...worry-free about any competition and to not have to listen to Cake at all! Haha. Hope to post back soon!
Chrissy Fryer

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 25 Aug 2013 16:28

Cool I love reading everyone's write-ups!

Ben's roller thing WAS awesome!

Keep practising you're getting good! :D It's definitely nice to play without the pressure of worlds on!

See you at East Coasts maybe hopefully!?

Max Power
Fearless

Post by Max Power » 27 Aug 2013 15:07

I love how almost all the stuff that mentions me is about doing something stupid and destructive. Great write up Chrissy, I love how to the point it is, no wasted words.
Drew Martin