Detroit David's Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Vraidave
Shredaholic

Detroit David's Footblog

Post by Vraidave » 10 Feb 2014 04:55

Well, I've never done this before, and I have no idea if anyone will read this, but often I'll get excited about landing a trick and have nobody to tell, so this seems like a safe bet.

Here goes nothing:
On my strongside and flipside
-ATW
-Legover
-Mirage
-Illusion
-Pickup
-Butterfly
-Fairy/Pixie
Strongside only, with a few sketchy flipside landings maybe
-Bubba
-Guay/Reverse Guay
-Walk-over
- Maybe some more, but they're escaping me

I also just hit my first few DATWs the other day, starting landing strongside Whirls somewhat regularly, and have been working on my super sketchy Osis and Drifter as well.
Hit a couple not-so-clean Pixie and Atomic Leg-overs as well.
Reply, don't reply, whatever. It's just nice to get to tell some people about the things I'm excited about that none of my friends understand. I love my friends, but they give me funny looks when I go "Dude, I just started hitting Pixie Leg-Overs!" :/

Will update soon, with good news hopefully
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Detroit David's Footblog

Post by C-Fan » 10 Feb 2014 07:10

Nice to see a new face in the blogs area. I really like having a blog. Not only is it an easy way to keep your footbag friends updated on what you're doing, but it's also a nice way to track your progress. It can be a lot of fun to read year-old blog entries and realize how far you've progressed.

Speaking of progress...have you hooked up with Zach Jahner yet? I think meeting an advanced player like him will really make your game explode.

Also request some video. Video will allow us to give you feedback on your game, and can be a fun way to chronicle progress and milestones too.

Vraidave wrote: I love my friends, but they give me funny looks when I go "Dude, I just started hitting Pixie Leg-Overs!" :/
Tell them you hit "open switch" instead. They'll think that's way cooler. :wink:

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 10 Feb 2014 08:01

Haha gave me a good laugh. And ive contacted him, vague mention of organizing something when it warms up some. And ill work on getting a decent video up. Thanks for the feedback!
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 10 Feb 2014 14:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bI8awlo ... e=youtu.be

Here's a short clip of some stuff I can do. I'm a little embarrassed to upload, you pros make me feel weak haha. I apologize, again and again for the crappy quality. I'm working with a phone here. Anyways, I appreciate any feedback. I couldn't figure out how to get it to play on the actual thread, so there's just a link. Anyone wanna help with that?

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 10 Feb 2014 14:56

I deleted the s from https and everything after the video ID, then highlighted the link and clicked on the YouTube button and then pressed submit:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bI8awlopHo[/youtube]

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 10 Feb 2014 15:34

Thanks Paul :D

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 10 Feb 2014 16:38

Always cool to have a new name in the footblog section! Keep posting, you will find that this will get you through some tough sections in your footbag experience and will keep you connected to the awesome community.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 14 Feb 2014 07:36

So strings are something of a weak suit for me. I can hit lots of tricks in a decent amount of time without a drop, but normally with some tabilizing delay in there between tricks. So i set a tiltless (if im not mistaken) string for me to practice, and after a while i hit it nice and clean. So here it is my first solid tiltless string:

Legover > Legover > Mirage > Pickup > Mirage > Illusion > Butterfly > Bubba

Now ive gotta work on hitting strings on the fly. Pretty stoked anyway

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 14 Feb 2014 07:47

Nice! One piece of advice: once you've mastered tiltless, don't abandon it. A lot of players are so excited to move on to 3 and 4 add tricks, they assume they've mastered their 2s and don't spend time on them anymore. 2s are the foundation of the game, and its never too late in your game to keep schooling them. I've been guiltless for close to 15 years, and I still start every session by warming up with tiltless.

Have you met up with Zach yet?

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 14 Feb 2014 07:58

I feel you. And no, it probably wont be until spring unfortunately. Thanks for the tip!

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 15 Feb 2014 13:18

Wasnt sure where to ask this so my blog seemed like a safe bet. I just tried a trick, hit it easily and realized id never done it before, so its not super hard, but is ss butterfly a thing? Like toe> same out > op clip. Is there a name for that other than ss butterfly? And is it only 2 adds?

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 15 Feb 2014 14:18

3 adds, one for the dex and two for the clipper. there is a concept called BOP. it stands for butterfly, osis and paradox mirage. they are all threes. I think most everyone just calls it same butter or same down.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 15 Feb 2014 14:25

Alright thanks. I think the idea of xbd gets me. Like, if if lands clipper or dragon its xbd right? Because i was always under the impression that if a trick went all the way across your body (clip> same toe even) it was xbd, but i guess not

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 Feb 2014 23:48

Yeah xbd is clipper or dragon. You're better than I thought you would be, to be honest. Nice flow. One sided with some things, though. Start trying to bail to filpside Inside stall> op Clipper (this should link up to your flip inside and flip clipper). Use that a bunch of times every session and you'll kill. Also, what shoes are you using? You should definitely try to find Lavers, but those look ok for the level you're on right now.

Challenge: From now on, try to tough it out and work on completing this list:

LISTTTT!!!!

It was meant to help new players get good as quick as possible.

Zach is going to get you so good dude. Can't wait til you can meet up with him.

I'll be keeping up with this, good luck on your trek through the sport of footbag :)
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 16 Feb 2014 07:01

Thanks man, it means a lot! And I'll definitely be taking your advice. That list looks great. And I'm trying to upload a picture of my shoes but can't quite figure it out haha (first with the video now this picture) but they're these little slip ons. There's like a ridge around the toe, and they're really flat so the toes are killer, I rarely get any roll with those. The problem is the inside surface. AS with most slip-ons there really ISN'T an inside surface... Kills my clipper game a little bit.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 16 Feb 2014 21:11

What's your shoe size? I'll do some Laver scouting for you
Nick Polini

Funblog

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 16 Feb 2014 21:16

Err like an 8.5 or 9. Closer to an 8.5. Really common size ya know? But if you see anything lemme know, i appreciate it! Joining modified was a great choice, this community is great, super helpful, critical in only helpful ways. Seriously. Great group.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 16 Feb 2014 21:22

Im really sketched out about buying shoes online because my casual shoes and my work shoes are nines, but the slip ons i play in are 8s. Im all over the damn place lol

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 16 Feb 2014 21:45

Yeah, this group is great, really. The community is like a family. The coolest part is meeting players in person at your first jam. Always a sweet feeling.

Anyway: Here's what I came up with…

Size 8.5: $70.00

And that's all I could find :/ If you have the money, I would go for it. It's not a bad price, considering that they don't make them anymore… for the time being.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 16 Feb 2014 21:54

I just paid my car insurance and bought my senior yearbook today, purchased a new guitar yesterday. I Appreciate it, but im thinking the funds arent there haha. Ive heard rumors from an oooold post on here that they might be reintroducing lavers this year though. In the meanwhile, i think ill wait it out, work with what i have. Thanks anyway nick :)