Footbag Grammar - Capitalise Move Names

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Footbag Grammar - Capitalise Move Names

Post by Jeremy » 15 Jul 2013 15:29

This is a pretty minor thing, but there's been a bit of a discussion in my main hobby these days, bird watching, about capitalising bird names. I think the same applies to footbag. Although it is generally grammatically incorrect to capitalise general nouns, such as bird names or footbag move names, I think it's actually a smart idea, especially when there are so many funny adjectives in footbag that are part of names. I'm not just talking about actual names, but technical names too.

For example; "That was a frantic Illusion" vs "That was a Frantic Illusion." It should probably be extended to other jargon, so that we can avoid putting "the" in quotation marks. "I hit the Nemesis!" vs "I hit The Nemesis :("

If you capitalise jargon, it makes it much clearer which words are footbag specific and which are being used with a normal (or at least non-footbag) definition. There aren't really that many names that could be confused, but I think it's neater and clearer with capitalisation.

sen
Post Master General

Re: Footbag Grammar - Capitalise Move Names

Post by sen » 25 Jul 2013 20:04

I agree 100%

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 26 Jul 2013 06:59

Yeah, it sounds like a good idea, but I don't take no advice from no bird watchers. :twisted:
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 26 Jul 2013 07:15

Outsider wrote: I don't take no advice from no bird watchers. :twisted:
Double negative in the grammar thread FTW!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 28 Jul 2013 05:07

Doesn't people already do this? I have always done it.

Only slight change is that I think it should be "THE" not just "The". Emphasize!

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 12 Feb 2014 05:34

Another grammar suggestion, if you do more than one Osis, instead of Osises (ew) call them Oses? (Pronounced oh-seez) or maybe people already do this, I don't know. that's what I call em, Oses.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 12 Feb 2014 05:59

I think that Osis should be considered singular and plural.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 13 Feb 2014 12:10

Agree with Cassy. Much easier, and reflects actual usage in footbag conversation.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 13 Feb 2014 12:53

I suppose. Ive never actually hung out with other shredders, so I dont really know how things come up in conversation.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 16 Feb 2014 00:38

Outsider wrote:Yeah, it sounds like a good idea, but I don't take no advice from no bird watchers. :twisted:
I resent that :P

Jeremy, I always capitalize bird names when writing them in my life list or communicating what I saw. Just my 2 cents on that.

And with footbag, I have always capitalized names. I'm a stickler for it. Sometimes, I fail to capitalize "clipper" because, well.. it's just a clipper :P But I do think everything should be capped.

Another point: Very minor, still.. but op, far, ss, near… I never really know if I should cap these or not. Opinions?

The Osis plural name is tricky… I feel like it should be like Cactus -> Cacti and Mobius -> Mobii, which would make it "Osi", which sounds cool.. but it's an "-is" not "-us"… and the plural of "diagnosis" is "diagnoses". So then, I guess it should be "Oses", but that sounds so bad, imo. It's even hard for me to say without feeling stupid.

"He hit 300 Osi" or "He hit 300 Oses"… the first one sounds cooler. The second one leaves me thinking like, "What? What the hell does O see?" Sentence fragments piss me off.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 17 Feb 2014 20:14

You're only supposed to use "i" plurals for Latin words (which is why the plural of octopus is "octopuses" or arguably more correct "octopodes").

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 17 Feb 2014 20:17

Although google tells me that "-osis" is a Latin suffix, so perhaps osi would be acceptable, although it does refer to "a state of disease," so I'm not sure footbag Osis has the same roots.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 17 Feb 2014 20:24

It also just refers to a state of condition (i.e. metamorphosis) so i suppose it could work.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 18 Feb 2014 12:30

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote: Another point: Very minor, still.. but op, far, ss, near… I never really know if I should cap these or not. Opinions?
I vote no. It'd make all same side tricks look like steamboats to me. "He hit Torque to SS River Queen!" Pass.