Detroit David's Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Vraidave
Shredaholic

Re: Detroit David's Footblog

Post by Vraidave » 19 Feb 2014 17:32

So my first facile bag just came in, already playable, much thanks to brian "bear" sherrill. Very nice, stoked to see how this improves my game
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 19 Feb 2014 21:52

no piece of equipment improved my game like my properly modified and laced rod lavers. I was going to say, get your hands on a pair of those, but no. get your feet on a pair of those. lol

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 19 Feb 2014 22:37

Agreed. Get lavers my friend. They will be a better investment for your game than your senior yearbook :roll:

I know, everyone gets a senior yearbook, I'm just messing with you. I would say having good shoes is better than having a good bag. Even if they are a bit big on you, you can still play in them comfortably, so get the larger size you wear.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 20 Feb 2014 03:29

I know, i know. They're just so few and far between. And i find modifying expensive ass shoes like lavers terrifying. I dont wanna finally find some size 9 lavers, then fuck em up with some improper mods, you know
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 20 Feb 2014 05:34

I'll do it for ya. I've done my share of screwing them up so bad, that NOW I KNOW how to do it correctly. Or ZJ could I'm sure

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 20 Feb 2014 08:06

Its not a bad idea. I did talk to him more, plans are solidifying

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 20 Feb 2014 22:25

Yeah, you'll kick yourself once you realize how much easier footbag is in Lavers than your/our old skate/basketball/hippie sandals. By the look of your game, you will seriously improve the second you kick in them.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 21 Feb 2014 00:47

I just want to chime in on the shoe thing. I was in your situation for a long time. Kept putting off getting the right shoes due to the cost of it. At my first jam everyone would yell "LAVERS!!!" every time I dropped a toe move. They really do help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 21 Feb 2014 03:31

I assume the clipper surface is solid too. I certainly hope so because, like i said, my current shoes have no clipper surface

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 21 Feb 2014 05:09

I wanted to say earlier, I have that same signature statement from Newton on my emails on my corporate email. I'm a big time Isaac Newton fan. And yes, lavers have everything essential for the footbag player, that's why basically all of us have them. Stand on the shoulders of giants, read what we said about Lavers and incorporate then into your footbag studies, and you will see further than other men.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 21 Feb 2014 07:08

Vraidave wrote:I assume the clipper surface is solid too. I certainly hope so because, like i said, my current shoes have no clipper surface
Yes, I should have expanded on that. The shoes I had at the time (some random skate shoe) actually had a good clipper zone. The toe however was small and rounded.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 21 Feb 2014 12:29

Haha i like it paul. Im a pretty big newton fan myself. Going to school for physics next year actually. And i will work on getting/modding some lavers

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Feb 2014 23:23

Vraidave wrote:And i will work on getting/modding some lavers
\o/

Also, I think another newer player, Steven Lanza, is also a Physics major.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 24 Feb 2014 13:19

So in practicing today, i hit a trick ive been struggling with, Clipper Far Butterfly (infinity right?) Ive heard that linking infinities are a huge milestone so im pretty stoked. Also, i can tell im improving because i started hitting a trick ive never tried before. I like it, its nice and smooth, its Clipper Near Butterfly (clip > op out > op clip is that right? Any other names for that? My jargon is garbage). Ive been improving a lot lately, very exciting.
Gonna try to start incorporating Pdx Mirages. Been trying for awhile but Im way off. Any tips?

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 24 Feb 2014 14:28

Vraidave wrote:, Clipper Far Butterfly (infinity right?)
Yep, and props! Learning to transition to/from all four major surfaces (both toes and clippers) is the keystone to the game.
Vraidave wrote:Clipper Near Butterfly (clip > op out > op clip is that right? Any other names for that?
No. Same side butterfly is another way of saying it, or near down. Good trick. Both sides yet?
Vraidave wrote:Pdx Mirages. Been trying for awhile but Im way off. Any tips?
Pivoting your hips towards the bag when you set helps a lot. There's also a rhythm to it. Watch good players do it, paying attention to how their hips face as they do it. Try and replicate the timing. But for me, the biggest thing was taking care of the "paradox" pivot earlier rather than later. It should feel like a normal mirage when you do the dex, and not like you're trying to do the pivot and the mirage all on the way down.

Good luck!

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 24 Feb 2014 15:24

Not quite both sides. Im alright at landing flipside clipper but not setting from flipside. It is something ive been consciously working on. Thanks for the tip :)

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 26 Feb 2014 20:00

I've had footbag on the brain, but I've been working right after school these past couple days, except a short practice session the day before yesterday. Barely counts. I barely have time for homework, which (unfortunately) comes before footbag. But today, over on the white board in my calculus class, the teacher had written something about finding the area under a curve. I kept seeing it out of the corner of my eye, and it read as "Da Da Curve." Today in class I've been finding integrals and taking derivatives of footbag tricks :footbag: . Tomorrow, I have no work after school and no plans until later, so my practice will continue. Will update if anything interesting happens.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 28 Feb 2014 12:57

So i paused from practicing to post because i think the highlight of this session already happened. I mentioned a day or two ago that i was struggling hard with Pdx Mirage. Well i tried it today, and just started hitting it relatively easily (relatively meaning i still drop it sometimes but im not fumbling for it like a footbag fool when i do land it like with most new tricks). Very happy, gotta keep training my flipside, the contrast is sharp. Back to work!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 28 Feb 2014 17:12

Vraidave wrote:Today in class I've been finding integrals and taking derivatives of footbag tricks
When I took Calculus in college, I tried deriving some big tricks. It's been a year a a half since I took Calc and now I kinda forget how I did it, but it was a fun little break from studying sometimes.

Congrats on the Pdx Mirages!

You should try to make it to PSU Jamps in April. I know Anton Britting, another Michigan player, is planning to take as many people as he can. Maybe you could hitch a ride with him. I think Zach Jahner should be going too.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 01 Mar 2014 14:20

http://worldfootbag.com/product/adidas- ... whiteblue/

World footbag... reliable source? I'm definitely thinking about grabbing those 8.5s. The ones Nick posted earlier sold out. Help me out here!