Detroit David's Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Asmus
Ass Moose

Re: Detroit David's Footblog

Post by Asmus » 01 Mar 2014 14:56

I have bought Lavers from World Footbag since 2004. Definitely a reliable resource.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 01 Mar 2014 15:17

Just bought those Lavers online. Super stoked. Super. Stoked. I seriously can not wait. I dropped $80 on them with shipping, more than I'd ever dropped on shoes before, but it's so worth it. I can not wait for them to come in. I think I'll lace them properly to start, but I'm gonna want help modding them. I do not want to ruin my new, rare, 80 dollar shoes. Oh well. Great buy. Stoked. So stoked. I'm a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ giddy about it.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 01 Mar 2014 16:37

Nice! Again, I was in the same situation as you. Lavers being the most expensive shoes I had ever bought. I was scared to cut into them so I just laced 'em the right way and they made a huge difference. One night when I was chatting with another footbag player on MSN (does that date me?) and decided to mod our lavers together. I was still scared, but it really helped having someone to talk through it with.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 01 Mar 2014 22:31

Glad to hear we finally annoyed you into getting Lavers :P :P :P jk

But you will be so happy. If anyone loves freestyle, they will CHERISH and ADORE Lavers. You are going to flip shit at how much easier all your tricks will get. Hell you might even strong shit too :P Post some pics when you get them!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 02 Mar 2014 04:44

It was less annoyance. Moreso guilt ;D i kid
Haha i would, but i couldn't figure out how to post pics from my pc on here, only from another url :X i tried it when talking about my old shoes. Anyone wanna enlighten me?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 02 Mar 2014 05:59

You need to use an image hosting site. I use photo bucket, but there are lots of popular ones. Modified doesn't have it's own image hosting to my knowledge. So you need to host it somewhere else and then use the URL to post it.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 02 Mar 2014 06:12

My current shoes while I wait for Lavers. Toe game is killer, but the clipper/inside surface is basically nonexistant. Thanks Tony, for showing me how to post images :p
Last edited by Vraidave on 02 Mar 2014 08:23, edited 2 times in total.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 02 Mar 2014 08:06

Hmmm, If I right click and choose open image in new tab, I can see the picture. I think I know what the problem might be. You're linking the url that the page is on, but that url is not JUST the image, it's basically an imgur page that also contains your image. Try subbing out this url: http://i.imgur.com/ibLnrDD.jpg I got it by clicking on the image on the imgur page. It should be just the image itself.

I hope that all made some sense.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 03 Mar 2014 16:26

My lavers shipped today. In three to five business days, I'll pretty much be BAP material ;D

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 04 Mar 2014 07:14

Well, I tried to have a short session before i got in the shower, and I couldn't even play long enough to break a sweat. My ankles/inner lower leg are destroyed, especially on my left side from training those flipside clippers. I'm thinking I need a break day today, which is killing me because I'm off school. Hopefully when i get back and my ankles heal up, my clipper game will be stronger than before. Until then, probably gonna do some homework or something lame like that.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 05 Mar 2014 15:20

So I made a footbag themed, somewhat offensive, picture a couple months ago in school on photoshop, and I figured, I'll share why not. I didn't do anything productive in footbag today (still recovering), so here it is:

The bag is a little bit big, yeah yeah, I only dabble in photoshop okay. The idea came to me, I rolled with it. Sorry if this is offensive or whatever, I just think it's funny.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 05 Mar 2014 23:53

Hahahahha! I like it.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 06 Mar 2014 07:24

So i finally got back to practicing today and decided to come up with a string to drill so i can work on my one-sidedness. I looked more closely at my video and i was moving the bag to strongside instead of trying any tricks flipside. That needed work, so heres the string:

Mirage > Pickup > Mirage > Pickup > Illusion > Legover > Illusion > Legover

This has all my basic toe delays and dex directions, BSOS. It really does nothing for my flip Clipper, but I'm drilling those separately.

UPS says my lavers will be here tomorrow evening. Excited:)

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 06 Mar 2014 07:58

you got all those tiltless toe concepts BSOS?

(those who know me at all are seeing what I'm getting at)

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 06 Mar 2014 08:16

Lol i almost got em. I hit t he stringonce or twice cleanly. Though i must say, apparently i dont know you well enough to see what you're getting at...

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 06 Mar 2014 19:26

Talked to Anton a little bit today about shredding with him and Zach next monday, if my work allows. It'll be a good day for it, so hopefully things will work out, and I can finally shred with some folk who are better than me. By then I should have my Lavers, so it's like a series of improvement milestones right near one another. Kinda stoked, hope Monday can happen.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 06 Mar 2014 20:03

You're gonna love both of those guys. Two of the nicest dudes in the sport. Can't wait to shred with them again at PSU Jamps in April. You should talk to Anton about possibly hitching a ride with him to that. It'd be cool to meet you and kick with you.

Hope your session goes well. First sessions with skilled freestylers is awesome and absolutely mind-blowing. You literally won't believe your eyes. Anton and Zach can throw down hard too. You're gonna learn a lot. Just take everything to heart that they tell you. They know how to help you get good at footbag.. you just have to think of them as your teachers and do what they suggest.

Good luck and have fun!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 06 Mar 2014 20:14

Thanks :) id like to make it down to PSU (your trailer was great) but i dont think it will be possible. Most of april is booked for requests off at work because everyone took spring break off. But i do hope to kick with you some day.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 06 Mar 2014 20:15

Been tracking my Lavers like a madman, they will be on truck for delivery today. Super psyched I can not wait to get them, even though I'll probably be at work when they arrive (Bummer) but I have tomorrow off and will shred until I can't no mo'. In the meanwhile, check out Asmus' idea in the Projects section, BSOS.IT. I really like the idea so anyone who's reading this but hasn't read that yet totally should. I would really like if the idea were to come to life, so go support it folks :)
Last edited by Vraidave on 07 Mar 2014 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 07 Mar 2014 22:21

So a long day of school killed me today, knowing my Lavers would be at my home any moment now. I get home, sincerely hoping for a package aaaaand VOILA... nothing. So I wait until it's time for my stupid 4.5 hour shift at Del Taco, get dressed leave the house. My girlfriend is going on a cruise soon, so I'm trying to spend as much time with her as possible so I agreed to go to her house after work. However, about 2 hours into my shift, my mom texts me telling me my shoes arrived. Now, I don't know if you've ever been somewhere else, knowing a package is waiting for you at home, but it is torture. I get out of work at ten (finally) then head over to my girlfriends house, chill there until about midnight. Leave for home, knowing my Lavers are there on the table, waiting.

I finally get home, maybe 12:30, and I just have to put em on. So I lace them up properly, and head to my room for a kick and I abosolutely... hated it. They were heavier than my old shoes, way more support than my old shoes. Felt clunky and obtrusive. I was seriously bummed, and worried that I just wasted 80 bucks on a pair of useless (and honestly not that good looking to me) pair of shoes. I was thinking about how much I could ask for them here on modified.

However, after giving it another try, my mind changed completely. I did a couple tiltless until I got the feel for the extra weight. Then I tried my first Laver'd Whirl. That's where my perspective shifted. Before, I could hit Whirl from time to time, but this first Whirl in my Lavers, it felt like butter. I didn't even land it, i ended up kicking it off, but the overall feeling of trick was much better. I don't know if that makes sense, but it felt great.

No work or school tomorrow, and my girlfriend works all day, so that can mean only one thing: Shredding until BAPped (not really). Gonna get an even better feel for the different shape and weight of the shoe. Will post pictures tomorrow probably.