Muffinman

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: Muffinman

Post by boyle » 17 Jun 2018 03:45

Yes, that sounds the best way to do it. I have so many drops on numbers like 19, 37, that kind of thing. It gets really frustrating!

Edit for a top post painting.
This is what you get when you put 20x20 artwork into Google.

Image More info here - https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Y ... oduct.html

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 22 Jun 2018 18:54

Thanks Daniel.
Yeah, dropping at good numbers was just luck, obviously, but definitely helps with an efficient run of 20x20.

20x20 session #39:
Today's session was good. It was the new guy, New Adam, Mike, and me.
New Adam hit 33 toe stalls! He also did a ton more pickups, legovers, and ATWs both sides! Whereas even just last session's highlight for him was hitting 4 legover/pickups. Today he hit more like 10+? Like not in a row, just total, but he's getting there! He has this quirk where he only does legover dex with one leg, and pickup with the other. So since he was doing them so well today my challenge was to do opposite directions on both sides. He hit flip pickup a few times, unsure about flip legover. But he seems to be progressing well. Mike was also playing much better today. He had a run of 41 I think? He also had a run with dimwalk one side and pixie osis the other side?

I turned on the camera like I planned to, after 4 20s, but then I was pushing a lot harder and getting garbage run length. Mike was also suffering because of the pressure of the camera, so we eventually turned it back off because it was frustrating him quite a bit, and then we eventually got our mojo back. Some highlights of mine:
-8 diving symp mirages (my documented record, though I may have done this many before?)
-8 blurry whips (it looks like my documented record is 10, though I've probably done more than that before?)
-spinning whip > mobius BSOS (I've possibly done this before, but it would've been ages ago. It felt sooo good. Mobiuses have felt a lot more solid the last few sessions!)

My brother came to visit this week, and I took vacation days for it, so I missed Wedsnesday's session.

PHYSIO
I had my first back physio session yesterday. It was amazing, and I'm super optimistic since my therapist has fixed 2 of my other long-standing injuries, one pretty serious. Half of the session was her massaging my lower back and butt, finding the exact super tender spots and working them really painfully, in an amazing way. The other half was showing me my new stretching regime, which I'll do for 2 weeks before I see her again and potentially get into the core strengthening. Also focusing on fixing my posture in a couple of ways that I've been doing wrong for ages. I'm excited to do my stretches tonight and alleviate some pressure. So super excited to fix my back, since it's been crippling me for over a decade, and at some points making me bed-ridden for up to a month at one point, and multiple weeks other times! She also had me shred today without the back brace that I've been relying on every single session of the past year, and beyond, off and on. She's not going to ween me off of it fully quite yet, but that's the eventual goal obviously. I'm in quite a bit of discomfort from playing without it today, but it's manageable. I think I will play with it on again next session and then see how I feel. Maybe try to use it every second session if that feels reasonable.
Still, super stoked to finally be working on this!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 27 Jun 2018 19:52

20x20 sessions #40:
Had a good duo session with Mike. Was so ridiculously humid out today though. One of those weird days where it feels fine until you start jumping around outside and you can start to feel the thickness of the air and all of your pores sweating immediately. Oh, at one point a soccer mom walked by and said something like "Wow that was so awesome, you should play for Germany!" Which made me think that World Cup season might be a great time for the IFPA Marketing Director to work some magic with everyone in the world suddenly being into soccer (I don't have any interest in the World Cup...)

Today's highlights:
-a spanishfly (only one side? -- second time ever hitting it? I've hit once each side before today)
-just footed blurrier > blurriest repeat on the first try again
-just footed pixie near double down and pixie paradon BSOS (that flip pixie set for the near dod is sooo weak :( )
-footed scorpion's tail and blurriest BSOS
-twist > far symple swirl [repeat] -- felt awesome. New for me. I'm terrible at these tricks!

New tricks:
-flip toe spinning mirage
-toe far symple twist BS

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 28 Jun 2018 01:02

Muffinman wrote:
27 Jun 2018 19:52
... until you start jumping around outside and you can start to feel the thickness of the air and all of your pores sweating immediately.
During summers in Japan we would change bags a couple of times because they would get soaked with sweat and become unusable.

Good highlights!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 29 Jun 2018 05:52

Thanks TJ!
Eeew, eew, eew. So gross.
Well, the worst part of that is how dirty the bag gets and then how dirty your hands gets, and then how dirty everything you touch gets. We were talking about bringing handsoap to sessions.

Just making a quick post to add that I also hit flip tapping whirl first try last session.
Just totally forgot, but looking through my spreadsheet at work now; making a list of new tricks to try tonight.
Man, it was probably 2004-ish that I hit good side tapping whirl... 14 years ago. I gave a single try to flip montage. Not sure I have the strength for flip symp whirls... may try a little more today...
Last edited by Muffinman on 29 Jun 2018 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 29 Jun 2018 18:15

20x20 session #41:
First session I've seen Alex in a few weeks. Mike and I were having a rough time. I was playing so bad. I guess it's fair since I had a pretty good streak of really fun and accomplished sessions. There's bound to be a bad session here and there. No real run, combo, or trick highlights, but a few meh new tricks (some of which may or may not be new, but I couldn't remember if I'd hit them or not when I put together my spreadsheet):
-toe-set dyno (near and far)
-blazing far osis
(trying flip really aggravated my bad ankle, so I stopped blazing there, frustratingly)
-whipping inside kick (also only one side for the same reason?)
-toe spinning pickup BS (challenge from Mike)

Oh, I hit 5 flip stepping whips, which beats my previous record of 3? I think I tied my good side of 8.

That may be it. Actually, those are frustrating highlights -- not being able to do flipside tricks just adds to my list of flipside tricks that I have yet to hit. My list of shame...

Oh, I should also mention that I bought a second 4TB portable drive for the sole purpose of getting my old lappy backed up so I can work on that Best Of video. Also I ordered a new lappy because my current one keeps crapping out. Was gonna go get that done tomorrow but it slipped my mind and now I have to find a reliable place to do it for me...

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 03 Jul 2018 03:53

On your World Cup subject, I think the 2026 North America time is a big opportunity, though we will be pretty old by then. I have it in my mind that I am going to go and hopefully do something cool with footbag, but it's a long way off.

It's so crazy talking about computer storage and SD cards - when I was a teenager straight out of school I worked in this warehouse packing those kinds of things into boxes. At the time a 1GB USB stick cost $1000 - and that was the wholesale price. By the end of the year a 1GB SD card had come out and that was like a "woah" moment. Nowadays, you can't even get a 1GB USB because it's too small.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 05 Jul 2018 04:15

boyle wrote:
03 Jul 2018 03:53
It's so crazy talking about computer storage and SD cards - when I was a teenager straight out of school I worked in this warehouse packing those kinds of things into boxes. At the time a 1GB USB stick cost $1000 - and that was the wholesale price. By the end of the year a 1GB SD card had come out and that was like a "woah" moment. Nowadays, you can't even get a 1GB USB because it's too small.
Yeah, it's crazy. The size of things too. I just backed up my old files from these 2 giant 1TB drives that needed their own separate power supply onto a teeny little portable 4TB.

20x20 session #42:
Rough session today. Played fine, but was so sleep-deprived that I felt like I was falling asleep while playing... Such a weird feeling. I needed some long breaks and it took a big push to keep playing after I was sitting down. Mobiuses felt good. Ended the session on food BSOS first try. Didn't try any new tricks or anything. I should do food processor more often though. I don't think it's too hard for me. Spender is way harder I think. Especially flip is significantly more difficult for me, but for food I don't know which side is flip.

Oh, I did have a couple highlights actually:
-ducking clipper > twist x14 (so 7 twists BSOS, which is by far my record I think -- felt good!)
-80 contacts of ducking clipper > spinning clipper repeat (I don't know if that's my record, but I hand caught after 'cause I was falling asleep)
-blurriest and blurrier both BSOS

Oh, Mike had a good session:
-dimwalk BSOS
-gyro clipper BSOS?
-tap both sides (BSOS?)
-blurry legover midstring!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 09 Jul 2018 04:53

20x20 session #43:
Super hot day today, or something. Mike and I both felt it and were winded a lot more easily than usual. I had so little energy and barely made 20x20. In the end we both played quite well though. Mike hit smear and dimwalk both BSOS, which was quite a feat for him I think! I had food processor BSOS. Hit spender bs (was really struggling on flip!) Some nice runs with my tougher tricks, but nothing super out of the ordinary, I don't think.

Came back for those blazing osii:
-blazing far osis
-blazing near osis

I think those were the only new tricks today?

And then the day before I put together our first FAT video in a year, since I felt uncomfortable filming in our indoor winter shred space. This was from our last session with Maciej of the season, before he comes back in November-ish. He just successfully defended his master's thesis in Poland, so congrats to him! Now he, I, and Alex all have masters degrees :)
Here's the video:

The benefit of filming the majority of my sessions basically since I started playing in 1999 is that I'm able to give myself feedback on what I'm doing on my flipside, when trying to learn new tricks, what patterns and routines I get into, etc. Having not filmed myself in a year it's easy to see that the majority of my runs are all very similar and I don't mix it up much. I think a lot of that is due to focusing mostly on 20x20 and just the number of contacts over creativity, but also missing that ability to watch my own game and see what I'd like to change has definitely kept my game stagnant. I'm excited to start filming and editing more to help me mix up my game and play a bit more interestingly. Just... need to find the time to edit. Such a bear. But my stationary cycling setup is helpful for that. Just need to get back into the habit of cycling at least once per week to make time to watch and edit the footage I take during the week.

Also, have you ever experienced putting hours into editing a video and then accidentally deleting a clip or two, finishing the edit, exporting, and then uploading and then being, like, "wut. i forget a single clip. wat to do." Not worth the effort of redoing everything, so missing out on getting that good run in the video... Ah well.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Thanks for the video!

Post by C-Fan » 09 Jul 2018 07:57

Muffinman wrote:
09 Jul 2018 04:53

And then the day before I put together our first FAT video in a year
Thanks for making that, it was super fun to watch.
Muffinman wrote:
Having not filmed myself in a year it's easy to see that the majority of my runs are all very similar and I don't mix it up much. I think a lot of that is due to focusing mostly on 20x20 and just the number of contacts over creativity,
I only tried the 20x20 once, and that was my experience as well. Lots of defaulting to stock tricks and every run was kind of similar. Good reminder to me actually that I still haven't edited that footage...
Muffinman wrote:
Also, have you ever experienced putting hours into editing a video and then accidentally ...Not worth the effort of redoing everything, so missing out on getting that good run in the video...
Yep. Also have done things like trim every clip in a video except the front or end of one clip, do the export, and then not even bother to go back and fix the one untrimmed clip. I've also had similar experiences where I'm porting over footage from a session to a diff computer for editing, but there's not enough space on the flashdrive I'm using so I just omit a few clips from the session. :lol:

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 10 Jul 2018 03:22

I think that is a big problem with the 20x20, I've mentioned it before, that's why I don't do it on every session, because it's a lot of focus on getting the contacts, so you will take the safe option - not just 20x20 but going for, say 100 guiltless or whatever. I think that you working on adding new tricks all the time is probably helpful in the other direction.

On the video yes, though I never really put hours and hours into it, I'm not such a stickler for crazy high quality as I know I already don't have that crazy high quality of shred to work with, and I also know myself well enough that I am highly likely to do things like that.

I already mentioned on Facebook, but I really liked the video. Would love to kick with you guys there! It's too bad I never got to visit while my friend was living there in Toronto.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 11 Jul 2018 16:51

Thanks for the kind words, guys :)

Yeah the editing thing has happened to me a few times. And the worst part is that I found the clips and put them aside, ready to stick in the final video, but I think what I do wrong every time is when I'm watching the unclipped footage, I have the video overlapping the other clips in the sequence, just on another video layer and I clip out the already selected clips instead of the unclipped video... Actually the last time I remember doing that was in another video with Maciej.

Yeah, so inspired by both of your replies, I decided that I'd drop 20x20 for today, whip out the camera, and try to just get some cool stuff on video. The first run immediately after hitting record, I started to play some of my best, non-stop for 20 minutes. I was pumped, and I can't wait to edit the footage. Unfortunately, both Alex and Mike were playing poorly. Mike was quite frustrated and Alex ate too much right before shred and got really sick. Alex did hit whirl > pdx eggbeater [repeat], though, which he said was his main highlight. He challenged me to pdx egg > pixie whip [repeat], which I just missed a few times, but pdx eggbeaters are just so intense for me. Oh, also, I just missed ducking PS mirage > pixie paradon [repeat] first try. My feet got confused and tried to do whip instead of double down on the last trick, but I missed it anyway. I remember that was a challenge from TJ a few pages back.

I had tons of highlights, but so many that I can't remember any specifically. But I'll make a video, maybe this weekend. Excited for it :)
I may use this track...

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 18 Jul 2018 17:12

20x20 session #44:
I've been having severe lower back pain all this week so far, unrelated to footbag, but I got a magical backrub from my girlfriend before bed and felt soo much better today that I was able to actually play so much better than I was expecting! I mostly just avoided DLOs and eggbeaters because they strain my back the most I think. But I tried to do 20x20 while also mixing it up a bit, trying to play a bit like Jorden where I would do like 2-3 unique tricks linked and then bail, then another neat link then bail again to get a balance between unique links and combos and longer runs. It worked pretty well. And then I was able to do some cool harder stuff too. Highlights:

-5x spinning whip (4 flip) (I think this may be my exact previous record. Will check later)
-spinning whip and gyro DLO almost double BSOS unintentionally
-vortex BSOS midstring, like unplanned, felt good
-wetdream and bedwetter both BSOS after a 2-ish hour session felt awesome, especially since this may only be the third time I've done that? And I didn't do any other triples all session
-big apple BS to end the session
-barflies felt good
-got super winded after like 6 toe tricks inna row lol

New tricks:
-pixie dyno + pixie near dyno (not all new, but at least 1 or 2... will check list later)
-quantum and slapping inside + toe stalls

And here's that video I made:

Also, I've been playing a lot of Fallout 4. So addicting! I ended up actually spending a ton of time looking at and thinking about the various perks, and after playing for like probably 15ish hours, I'm going to start over with a super min-maxed character that I developed myself to be super badass and efficient. Still gonna be basically a blind playthrough except for those first few main missions and some exploration. Can't wait! I seriously put so much work into this... like hours just into planning the character...

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 18 Jul 2018 21:47

Yes, love the video!! About time we got some Erik Chan footage! What's the music?

Edit: Oh snap, I just realized there's two videos! So my question about the music is referring to the second one.
Ryan Morris

PSU crew, ECFU, Michigan Footbag, and counting.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 19 Jul 2018 03:59

I think that good session you had is all about the really solid base built with the 20x20 and also the new tricks. I'm also trying to mix up my 20x20 rounds, particularly with more toe tricks, or bsos a trick I don't normally do. Today was spinning mirage, though actually I didn't make it to the 20x20.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 20 Jul 2018 23:15

Thanks Ryan :)
The track is “Enraged” by Carpenter Brut. It’s from the soundtrack to Furi, which is an okay game with an exceptional soundtrack!

Nice, Daniel. I really like spinning mirage. Feels so good! Yeah I’m not sure how 20x20 affects my game overall. Hmm.

20x20 session #45:
Ooh, 45. I was thinking I’d maybe take a break at 50, but 20x20's always there when I need it. When I have a terrible session and need something achievable that I can feel good about. There’s quite a bit of flexibility there in terms of how you can do 20x20.

Case in point today was a terrible session for me. Mike was on fire actually, maybe his best session to date. But i just couldnt link a thing. At one point I had to just crank the difficulty down to zero. I had a 156 that was just butt x20 > osis x20 > ducking clipper x20 [repeat] > butt x20 > osis x16.

And I beat my ripwalk record by 2 — 42 (to hand catch I think?) just couldnt link tricks to save my life. Actually I always start a session by popping back meds and I forgot today. And i also tried legeaters before i was properly warmed up so my hips were strained and my ankle felt weak. I did hit legeater > handcatch > other side though. Unsure if ive hit both sides before. Def not one side at least before... though maybe ive done toe before and not clipper, which is what I hit today.

Anyway that’s all.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 25 Jul 2018 16:09

20x20 session #46:
So humid and gross out.
-Vortex > spinning whip BSOS, mobius BSOS, blurry whip > stepping whip BSOS?
-just missed vortex > mobius BSOS first try! I missed on the easiest of the 4 D: set just a bit too high
-ended on almost double BSOSing scorpion’s tail
-did some twirls. Want to do more of those
-worked a lot of pixies for the first half of the session; really want to improve those. I cant believe how bad flip has gotten

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 27 Jul 2018 16:16

20x20 session #47:
Man I was winded today. Just duo with Mike. Actually hoping Tom Mosher is free on the weekend to jam. We keep trying to plan but he has 2 kids and is never free until the last minute after 10 pm. Hence his videos recently are always super dark.

Highlights from today:
-superfly BSOS (first time ever??)
-big apple BS
-mobius > pdx blender BS
-scorpion, blurriest, dropped blurrier all BSOS
-footed bullwhip BS first try (only hit that like once or twice ever each side
-some good runs
-spinning whip > gyro whip repeat
-ended session on rubberman > blurry whip > hand catch first try
-oh, i did gravedigger BSOS (flip midstring surprised me)

The superflies didnt take as many tries as i expected, but i land soooo hard on flip. It’s soo bad for me. Still, BSOS felt amazing ☺️

EDIT: Whelp, it’s gonna cost me $750 to recover my old footbag videos off my old lappy, which Im not even 100% are on that lappy... this is gonna be the most expensive footbag video ever made 😔

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 28 Jul 2018 20:00

$750? Are the platters scratched? Seriously, what's up with the lappy?

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Jul 2018 21:41

sen wrote:
28 Jul 2018 20:00
$750? Are the platters scratched? Seriously, what's up with the lappy?
I dont know what that means, but there were noises. This is what the repair guy quoted for the service ticket: “Customer reported computer can't find hard drive. Ran internal diagnostic - one test passed, one failed. Third test caused drive to make audible mechanical failure sounds. 500GB lab recovery, customer provided destination drive (Seagate 4TB) - $750”