Mosher's Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Mosher's Footblog

Post by mosher » 27 Jun 2004 00:14

Hey All,

This is my blog, I started it when I was in England during the summer of 2004, I hope you enjoy the peep-hole into my life. :)

(From this point on it is all unchanged from the original posts, I'm glad I have this record of thoughts to look back upon) (I updated my age, location and school status)

Info:
Name: Tom Mosher
School: Degree in Mechanical Engineering from Queen's University

Here's my dilly:

I started circle kicking in september 2003 and sort of idled at that for the next few months.

Being the curious type I went and checked the net for more tricks to learn. I found out about footbag proper but I didn't take the plunge just yet and kept being a 'hacky sacker'.

When exam season came in December 2003 I started spending alot more time inside studying and as a good way to ease some tension in a small space I started learning toe stalls and such.

The life changer:
I decided to order a Mr. Sandbag mid-December.

My parents got me lavers for Christmas, and that was all it took, I was hooked for good.

That was almost exactly six months ago.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to play for the last month and a half due to my living set up (treeplanting in Northern Ontario) so I suppose I am at somewhere between 4-5 months of actual playing.

Skills:
- Ive got all the basics under my belt, 2's and such
- I can do a bunch of three's and four's and a few fivers
- I got into the rut of being a one hit wonder because I didn't know not to, as a result I could hit blurry whirl but I couldnt go tiltless for more than three contacts
- I went back to basics and schooled the shit out of all aspects of my game
- I'm now completely both sided and still working my tiltless game with the odd 3's and 4's tossed in for fun

Tricks:
Biggest
- PS Whirl
- Blurry Whirl
- Legbreaker

Funnest
- far symple legover (by FAR the funnest trick to hit)

Newest
- the inclusion of symp stuff

OK, I suppose this should suffice.

I like this idea, I will enjoy looking back to check on my progress.

Oh! and my current sitch:
I currently live in East Sussex, England. I'll be here for the next 3 and a bit weeks busting my ass at school and footbag to get my game as solid as I can for World's. I play every damn day for as long as my exhausted body will let me.[color=#][/color]
Last edited by mosher on 07 Sep 2007 15:37, edited 8 times in total.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 27 Jun 2004 02:56

I was trying to stand balanced on a big ab work out ball yesterday and it shot out from under me and I landed on my hip really hard. That certainly killed my footbag session plans for the day so I decided to learn some new skills.

I learned to:
- juggle three basketballs (quite well in fact)
- balance things on my tongue
- spin a pillow on my finger, toss it, spin once around, catch it spinning
- balance something on one toe, toss to the other and keep balancing

My hip wicked hurts today.
Tom Mosher

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 27 Jun 2004 12:57

I totally just sessioned.

It felt really good.

I ducked a bunch of pixies which was a first.
I footed pheonix a million times, and blurs were like nothing.

I think the new awesome pixies are due to the fact that I chopped the sidewalls off my lavers.

All in all it was a good sesh, some nice long runs, some good flow, some relaxed arms. awww yeah.

I'm trying to relax my style a bit, i think it looks pretty good.

If anyone ever feels like comenting (on my OH so compelling posts) go right ahead.
Tom Mosher

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 29 Jun 2004 04:18

The tirelessly helpful Jeremy O'Wheel guided me today and helped me on my way to sealing torques on BOTH sides! woo hoo!

I just hit them and I have that 'new trick high'.

Apparently Matt Cross is the stuff my dreams are made of. After waking up at 6 AM, returning to slumber at 7 I had a dream in which I watched his first music video. He was singing a Dashboard Confessional song (!) for some reason. I'm not sure why he decided to debut with a cover (perhaps we should ask the ataris) but my guess is because I havn't heard his music yet and my brain had to think up something. I remember knowing that it was filmed by a girl using a digital still camera on video mode. what an odd format to choose.

I think I'm going to go now and find out what he really sounds like, I totally remember the style he sang the song in, I wonder if I was right.

Turrah!
Tom Mosher

ThomASS
BSOS Beast

Post by ThomASS » 29 Jun 2004 06:24

matt could def sing dashboard stuff...hes got the same style
Ryan Thomas

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 29 Jun 2004 08:29

ok, matt didn't really really sound like he did in my dream, but he sure does make pretty music.

I just had a sweet mini-sesh.

I just hit for my first time:
fear
fairy down (both sides)
fairy butt (both sides)
fairy ss pickup
fairy legover

I think I'm finally figuring out fairies! whee!
Tom Mosher

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 04 Jul 2004 04:40

I GOT TO KICK WITH SOMEONE!

Whee!

On thursday I checked the footbag.org message board and saw that some chick had posted a message looking for someone to play with in London. Upon reading this I damn near blew up. I scribbled down her phone number and bolted downstairs to the phone.

The reason I was so excited was because I was going to be in London the whole next day with effectively nothing to do!

We arranged to meet up at 7PM for some shredding.

We connected on time and headed off to a park to play. She was a big time beginner but I didn't care, she was someone nice and willing to play footbag with me!

I played pretty well I think, some solid runs with lots of laughs.

We were playing in this big open space behind a government building.
I said something Ive never said before: "There is a man with a huge gun walking at us."

He came and kicked us out, we were making them nervous, you never know, we could have been kicking around a BOMB!!!!

Ugh.

Oh, one last bit of excitement, I think my new 32 should arrive in the mail tomorrow. This nice gent in France stitched one up and sent it out.
Tom Mosher

rodimius
Shredaholic

Post by rodimius » 04 Jul 2004 06:18

Glad you found someone to kick with.
So there are other footbaggers in the same country as me, woot!
Robert Elm

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 04 Jul 2004 15:54

I was dicking around playng a bit outside my residence while my friends smoked just now.

I hit a new trick! quantum butterfly. i don't know how quantum naming goes, the jobs was toe>op in>>op out>op clip. whatever.

I also hit a blurry whirl for them, I was glad that I still could. My stepping is bitchin on one side and mostly dependable on the other, I can toss out ripwalks midstring from either side now.

I'm totally getting better, what what.
Tom Mosher

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 12 Jul 2004 23:41

Yesterday I schooled.
At the end of my sesh I decided to up my infinity record from 14or15 to 20.

I told myself I couldn't leave until I had done it. I tried and tried but i was sucking balls at them and screaming and shouting because of it.

With time running out (I had to make it to lunch before the caf closed) I gave myself 5 more tries.

1st: 3
2nd: 4
3rd: 6
4th:6
At this point I was thinking 'great, you're about to give up and not achieve your goal' and i really didn't like that thought. I paced around for a minute or two and then stepped up.
5th (and last try of the day): 20 infinities to a handcatch.

That caused me to scream out in my growliest scariest scream "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT! WHAT!!!!!!!"

Ok, on to my sweet story of the night.

I went to the pub at the castle for some drinks with my friend cheryl. Right before last call (11PM at pubs here) we decided to leave.

As we were walking out of the castle along the drawbridge she says to me: "Now, we're going to walk over there and have sex."

to which I reply calmly "Ok."

She was refering to some bushes on the edge of farmland property.

So, we walked over, started making out, and then I gave it to her standing up with her leaning on a barbed wire fence. So hot. So fucking hot.

If you have negative comments to this story, shove it.
If not, feel free to comment!
Tom Mosher

comastalker
BSOS Beast

Post by comastalker » 13 Jul 2004 03:23

Don't know what to say but there's something except your name I somehow really like and that there are far better experiences than a clean locomotive.

Keep "it" up tom..... :wink:
-Richard Vock-

"And today the great Yertle, The Marvelous he,
Is King of the Mud. That is all he can see.
And the turtles, of course...all turtles are free
As turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be."
- Dr. Seuss

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 13 Jul 2004 03:28

She was refering to some bushes on the edge of farmland property.
God, you gotta love English birds :)

so did you recieve that 32?
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 13 Jul 2004 07:44

comastalker wrote: Keep "it" up tom..... :wink:
Hilarious!

Max: yes! I got my new 32!

It is AMAZING! I named him Pepper. Ive been dilligently, and delicately, breaking him in. Everyday it gets exponentially better to play with, today it really really impressed me.

The size and weight are just right and it is such a welcome change to play with it as opposed to my completely empty Mr. Sandbag. thanks so much for hooking me up with his contact, you saved me! (if you want to see Pepper I posted a picture of him in the new footbags thread)
Tom Mosher

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 17 Jul 2004 08:46

I had a pretty sweet rain shred sesh today. I'd always wanted to play in the rain, so when the thunder cracked I tossed on my gear and ran out. It was a blast!

Yesterday I spent the day in Dieppe, France. It was really cool, it felt so different than england, understandably so.

I was playing around waiting for a train and I started shredding a bit. I hit a run in front of my friend that ended in PS whirl to a hand catch. And this was in pants!

Here is a goofy picture of me.

(the bottles are not touching the ceiling)
Tom Mosher

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 04 Aug 2004 10:21

Ok, I can't possibly vent my impressions of world's, there are too many thoughts racing around to sum it up here.

Here are my biggest impressions:
- it is intense how close and interactive you are with all the superstars of footbag. by the end most people knew most everyones names.
- In my first ever proper footbag circle there was me, someone else and scott bevier. this was my first time seeing tricks I couldnt do, and that was all he did, he is so fucking good.
- watching the pros play is amazing, i loved seeing tricks I couldnt hit being executed properly that was really helpful
- it's incredible that EVERYONE there knows the secret language of footbag that I learned and none of my friends know. spinning ducking paradox symposium whirling crossbody rake makes complete sense to people reading this, amazing!

I lost my fred touzelet and my carol bags yesterday.

why didn't anybody ever tell me that all you dickheads know how to kick a fucking footbag?

here is my new school list:
- learn to kick
- get my fairies equal
- get my stepping back, it used to be so choice
- NOT lose any more fucking footbags

TO ALL I MET: Thank you for sharing my love and for kicking with me if you did.
Tom Mosher

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 08 Aug 2004 23:06

Ok yesterday was sweet.

I went to wakestock yesterday (the world champs of wakeboarding) and brought along my short shorts and lavers just in case.

Upon hitting the main strip I immediately saw freestyle being thrown down. I ran into Paul T. from toronto and uhhmm,.. brian... and uh.. oh well, i suck at names, they were real nice and we all hung out on and off through the day.

We shredded alot and smoked a bunch of weed, it was real nice.

I hit pixie ss whirl first try ever and paul called my whirl thin so I hit it second try ever undoubtedly clean.

and I hit fudge again, that is my most fun trick to hit. with the possible exception of far symple pickup (a trick I did unexpectedly midstring yesterday).

Paul and dude-whos-name-I-forgot were really good and good to play with.

Paul's felix blew a stitch!!! ahhh!

I played a good amount today. I have been drilling alot.
I have been practicing inf>osis rpt on both sides and inf>whirl rpt. I find that they are all really honing my control and precision.
I was also doing inf>ss butt rpt. and whirl>pdx whirl rpt, i like those.

I'm bummed that I can see that my carol is going to blow out. I have only played with it once but it's already pilled, it has holes and one panel is surely going to blow.

Oh well, footbag!
Tom Mosher

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 08 Aug 2004 23:07

Ok yesterday was sweet.

I went to wakestock yesterday (the world champs of wakeboarding) and brought along my short shorts and lavers just in case.

Upon hitting the main strip I immediately saw freestyle being thrown down. I ran into Paul T. from toronto and uhhmm,.. brian... and uh.. oh well, i suck at names, they were real nice and we all hung out on and off through the day.

We shredded alot and smoked a bunch of weed, it was real nice.

I hit pixie ss whirl first try ever and paul called my whirl thin so I hit it second try ever undoubtedly clean.

and I hit fudge again, that is my most fun trick to hit. with the possible exception of far symple pickup (a trick I did unexpectedly midstring yesterday).

Paul and dude-whos-name-I-forgot were really good and good to play with.

Paul's felix blew a stitch!!! ahhh!

I played a good amount today. I have been drilling alot.
I have been practicing inf>osis rpt on both sides and inf>whirl rpt. I find that they are all really honing my control and precision.
I was also doing inf>ss butt rpt. and whirl>pdx whirl rpt, i like those.

I'm bummed that I can see that my carol is going to blow out. I have only played with it once but it's already pilled, it has holes and one panel is surely going to blow.

Oh well, footbag!

My new goals:
- invest even more time into kicking
- get my right fairy up to par
- get my stepping back
- get my atomic back
- learn double downs, ducking and spinning.
- make bap
Tom Mosher

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Maraxus » 08 Aug 2004 23:21

great footblog
bodybuilda

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 15 Aug 2004 23:22

I believe you can do it Mosher.
Believe in yourself!
:D

Twas great shreddin with you, hope to see you tommorow.
Adam Dexter

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 16 Aug 2004 06:13

your my hero :P , for real how often do you travle, it seems like you get around alot an get to kick with alot of different ppl. Hope one day i can travle around an just footbag an maybe become very good an shred in the same circle as you one day :D other then that GREAT footblog is right i love reading your blog, Goodluck you can do it !!!