Time to remove the walls

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
ryeguy42
Shredalicious

Time to remove the walls

Post by ryeguy42 » 06 Oct 2004 16:05

So the question is how do u go about removing the walls/wings from the toe box. Do you just use and exacto knife and just have at it, or is there another way. Also how many eyelits up should i cut away. THanks.
-Ryan Loshaw

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 06 Oct 2004 17:34

I used scissors and cut away the bottom 2 or 3. Lynton (who inspired me to do it) cut away the bottom 6 or 7 (I think he left one eyelet).

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 06 Oct 2004 19:00

I have done it to like.. 4 pairs of lavers now. just take a knife, slit in parallel to the sole along the very bottom of the eyelet leather strip. you want to then follow up along the stitches keeping it nice and close.

I usually cut off the bottom two eyelets then lace the shoes down like real normal shoes. On a mesh laver it comes out reaaall nice.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 06 Oct 2004 21:26

personally, i wouldn't do it. i think it's better to train your sets (pixies and fairies especially) to be done properly and not just roll them off. how ever, if you can keep your sets clean with out 'em, more power to you!
A.G.

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 06 Oct 2004 22:10

I used a pen knife to cut the first 2 eyelets off. I like my lavers like this and I'll do it to every pair I get in future. It was frustrating when toe stall sets got caught in the walls.

It took 1 sesh to get used to them not being there, inside salls took the longest to adjust to.

I lace em normally too, works for me.
8)
Greg

Have love; will travel

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 07 Oct 2004 00:34

Andrew, there is another advantage to cutting the walls off - learning propper toe stalls!

I can snap a pixie set sidewalls or not but I don't need the 'crutch' of the sidewalls to catch the bag. I am NOT claiming you do either! I just mean that this is something important to learn so as not to be dependent on them. This will help also with any transition one wishes to make to things such as climacools or ct 520's.

Just a thought.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 07 Oct 2004 00:45

Mosh is right!

It also means you can lace in a manner that gives you more support - or at least it feels much better to me.

And people don't look at your shoes and tell you that you're cheating. (not that I think you are - but it's a comment I'm happy to not get)

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 07 Oct 2004 03:40

Jeremy wrote:And people don't look at your shoes and tell you that you're cheating. (not that I think you are - but it's a comment I'm happy to not get)
same.

cut them walls off!!!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Posi-Cole
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Posi-Cole » 07 Oct 2004 06:52

I really wish I had learned pixies with the walls on, I think it would have produced a lot better results at this stage in my development.

I don't think learning proper toe stalls is really that much of an issue for anyone other than like ultra new players. I mean, you'll learn pretty quick even with walls that you need to toe delay properly, or else the bag doesn't set back up correctly, or gets stuck completley (at least thats how I remember it from back in the day when I still had sidewalls)
Cole Hobson

Jas
Shredaholic

Post by Jas » 16 Oct 2004 14:43

yeh i agree with posi cole. Im a newbie and i can do toe stalls 90% without hitting the walls. And im trying to learn pixie sets and it does get stuck to the wall heaps but ive done one pixie set and it was head high which was a fluke. So obviously u can still do pixie sets with the walls on them, and with them on, u learn how to do it properly with the proper form instead of just rolling off.
Jason Po