Jeremy's Blind Stitch Tips

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Jeremy's Blind Stitch Tips

Post by Jeremy » 26 Jul 2005 02:18

A few people have been asking me about how to do the last stitch for footbags so I took some photos today and I'll try and explain it. Different people make their bags differently of course so you don't need to copy me exactly. I would say the best tip is to make as many bags as you can and try different things - see for yourself what works and what doesn't. Anyway here we go.

So first you've finished stitching the bag together apart from one seam. If you're like me and leave bleed holes between the hex joints you'll have done 59 seams already. You now turn the bag inside out and fill it with whatever you want. I like to have a fair bit of thread for this last part but you could definitly do it with less than what I use (I just figure that too much is easier to use than too little).

At this stage my bag looks like this

You then basically stitch the bag imagining where the needle would be going if you were doing it inside out like all the other seams. I do three full stitches on the pents and two and two dots on the hexes. I'm completely self taught so I have no idea if my terminology is correct or not :P It's very important at this stage to make sure the stitches are all evenly spaced apart and in a nice line along the edge of the bag.

Here is the bag at some different stages of the stitch:

Halfway

almost finished

finished

I'm not sure if you can see or not but I actually finish off by putting one stitch from the last hex to the first hex I stitched to this particular pent. I also leave a bit of thread at the beginning with a knot tied an inch down. I tie this to the thread at the end - so the thread around the pent is tied to it's end and can't slip out unless the knot comes undone (which doesn't happen). When doing the blind stitch you have to pull the thread through and then tie it off. This bit is a little tricky as it is hard to judge the right amount of tightness. You want it fairly tight so no thread shows on the bag - but not as tight as to distort the panel. You can't really tell if you've got it right straight away either so there is some guess work involved.

Here is the bag after pulling the thread tight and tieing off.

Finally you cut off the excess thread. I tend to leave about 15mm of thread from both sides of the knot so that if something goes wrong I may be able to fix the problem without having to restitch the entire panel. Nothing goes wrong with my bags anyway (at least not anymore ;) ) but I think it's good to be safe anyway :). I then roll the bags around in my hands a bit - this evens out the tightness in the last bag. Sometimes bits of material around the blind stitch get pulled up but they are easy to push under with a needle or something. The bag is now finished. I put a drop of water on the last panel so that I could still tell which one it was for the photo - hence it's slightly wet in this photo. If you've done the stitch well you shouldn't be able to tell which panel is the last one at all (unless it's a different colour to the rest :P) I think this bag looks sweet and the last stitch is well done.

Well that's all I have to say I guess. I hope this helps all the potential stitchers out there although don't steal my market too much ;)

This bag is for Gareth by the way - hope you like it :)

lightningbolt
Nothing Vulgar

Post by lightningbolt » 26 Jul 2005 03:14

Wow! Thank you Jeremy!!!!! This is going to come very helpful when I start my next bag. The last pannel always trips me up.
I think I going to take over Canada. You should help.
Get Firefox!

Leuch
BSOS Beast

Post by Leuch » 26 Jul 2005 04:23

Wow, that's a crazy technique Jeremy!
I stitch totaly the bag "reverse/in", and then I turn it... then I just have to do a big knock..;
That's funny we don't have the same technique...
Charles Dupuy
La mairie,
75 Adds - Paris

DUSTER
Multidex Master

Post by DUSTER » 26 Jul 2005 08:44

nice stitch!!gunna try it on my next bag! :D
ISRAEL solorio,
i make footbags!hit me up if u want one$25.or to trade..
http://www.myspace.com/duster1

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 26 Jul 2005 09:03

cheers. A couple of things that have been brought to my attention. Firstly I might be the only person in the world who makes footbags with this blind stitch technique. I have tried the method that Charles uses as well - although didn't like it much and found this way a lot more straight forward - but that could have been because my skills were not as good at the time. I find this method to be way way quicker personally but maybe if I changed methods I could adapt to the other method. Same results anyway.

It's also been mentioned that apparantly it's not cool to post up detailed stitching tips like this - apparantly stitching is like magic and you aren't supposed to reveal the tricks.

Well to those people who think this is uncool - get fucked! I learnt to stitch completely by myself. I posted up pictures of my early bags and you could have privately given me some tips if you wanted - you didn't and I practiced and read as much as I could on the internet. Despite the fact that I want to make lots of money out of bags - I also want to help people and I believe that knowledge should be shared rather than kept for the sake of profit. I am disgusted by the moves around the world of keeping knowledge secret - of "intellectual property" and all that kind of shit. Millions of people are going to die of aids because of that same philosophy - I would always rather help people then make money. If you have a problem with this then I really don't care - except if you let me know I will consider yourself a greedy selfish person and have very little respect for you.

DUSTER
Multidex Master

Post by DUSTER » 26 Jul 2005 09:28

good job jeremy!! :D
ISRAEL solorio,
i make footbags!hit me up if u want one$25.or to trade..
http://www.myspace.com/duster1

Lazytowner
Multidex Master

Post by Lazytowner » 26 Jul 2005 10:22

Jeremy wrote:cheers. A couple of things that have been brought to my attention. Firstly I might be the only person in the world who makes footbags with this blind stitch technique. I have tried the method that Charles uses as well - although didn't like it much and found this way a lot more straight forward - but that could have been because my skills were not as good at the time. I find this method to be way way quicker personally but maybe if I changed methods I could adapt to the other method. Same results anyway.

It's also been mentioned that apparantly it's not cool to post up detailed stitching tips like this - apparantly stitching is like magic and you aren't supposed to reveal the tricks.

Well to those people who think this is uncool - get fucked! I learnt to stitch completely by myself. I posted up pictures of my early bags and you could have privately given me some tips if you wanted - you didn't and I practiced and read as much as I could on the internet. Despite the fact that I want to make lots of money out of bags - I also want to help people and I believe that knowledge should be shared rather than kept for the sake of profit. I am disgusted by the moves around the world of keeping knowledge secret - of "intellectual property" and all that kind of shit. Millions of people are going to die of aids because of that same philosophy - I would always rather help people then make money. If you have a problem with this then I really don't care - except if you let me know I will consider yourself a greedy selfish person and have very little respect for you.

I give you all the props in the world...and a bigass hug...#%*@ intellectual property!

Pete
Multidex Master

Post by Pete » 26 Jul 2005 10:24

fuck ya... i learned on my own and i wanted to sell them but the 1st thing i did was to teach my friend how to sew. i really dont care who knows how it's done... it just means the ppl with less money can still make their own bags so the sport can live on.

Leuch
BSOS Beast

Post by Leuch » 26 Jul 2005 14:04

Is there anyone "against" sharing this knowledge Jeremy??
Charles Dupuy
La mairie,
75 Adds - Paris

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 26 Jul 2005 14:23

I've already shared that bit of knowledge. Y'all just didn't appreciate the drawing.
_
|_
_|
|_
_|
|_
_|
|_

Skeletor
Multidex Master

Post by Skeletor » 26 Jul 2005 16:10

Thats how I end my bags pretty much
Your not the only one soldier :)
Vida Shredita

mr.alex
BSOS Beast

Post by mr.alex » 29 Jul 2005 07:23

Wow! Thanks Jeremy, that's awesome!
I could never explain how I do the last stitch, but I guess I also do it like you :)
Alexander Trenner
footbag-vienna - feel the spirit

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 29 Jul 2005 09:20

Tsiangkun wrote:I've already shared that bit of knowledge. Y'all just didn't appreciate the drawing.
_
|_
_|
|_
_|
|_
_|
|_
guess noone got the point of this drawing! :) but back in the days,ths was helping me to figure out how to stich up to the last stich! :D so...it wasnt unnessecary! :?

and jeremy...realy nice tutorial...me for myself learnt stiching from several tutorials on the net,and i try give this back as often as i can...some people stich because of me :D and they are doing much better than me,and i dont get pissed!...so i guess i´m with u on that "fuck intelectual property" thing!
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig