What exactly is footbag proper form?

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
DimitriFrazao
Hack Fiend

What exactly is footbag proper form?

Post by DimitriFrazao » 27 Oct 2010 22:45

Newbie here.
What exactly does "proper form" means?

Is it having all the body parts in the proper position when performing a trick?
Is it style as well? The way you perform a move? The body's movement in relation to the bag's movement? Landing on your toes? All of them?

Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question... I was just wondering exactly what does it mean and if people agree to the same idea. I've seen it mentioned in many posts and I still don't fully understand it.
Maybe I didn't search enough :(

Thanks.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 28 Oct 2010 03:02

I would say definitely all those things and more. In some ways I don't think "proper form" really exists, or at least is unattainable, because I'd call it hitting something perfectly.

In general it means hitting the move completely cleanly in the easiest possible way. However I would define "easiest" as for each component in isolation, rather than for the specific move. Easiest means not just hitting the trick, but hitting the trick out of and in to other tricks, and it means hitting it in a way that means hitting harder tricks will be easiest too. It means hitting it in the most parsimonious way (I use that word as an analogy, but I think it means exactly what I'm trying to say), for all other moves.

But of course if you look at many footbag moves, components or form ideas, there is not a consensus in the community, and it really does come down to subjective ideas. Two examples would be the debate about whether spinning sets above head height are good form or not, or a fairly intense debate I've been having lately with a footbagger who is much better than me about whether straight sets are good or not.

It would be great if footbag were like sports like gymnastics or diving, where there were very clear written down rules about what is good form and not, but there isn't. For that reason good judges need ignore their personal preferences and try to only reduce scores based on significant majority (or at least, amongst people who know what they're talking about, which is still somewhat subjective) form issues, rather than judging on their own personal opinions (because it's too hard for competitors to know that). To relate back to the debate I've been having about straight sets, I personally think a furious blender with a perfectly straight set is better than with an angled set, but maybe that isn't even possible. As a judge, I would have to take an angled set as a very minor or insignificant example of bad form, despite my personal opinion.

So for every aspect of every move you should be thinking "is this the best way of hitting this trick," and what matters is more that you can justify that it is, than if everybody else agrees. Chances are, if you think you're doing it in the best possible way, it's close enough that other people do. If you're not analysing the way you hit it at all and are just happy to hit it, the form might not be that great.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 28 Oct 2010 05:01

Very interesting subject. I'm afraid to contribute because all I know comes from much better players and I don't want to misquote anyone.

However, I'll risk mentioning that I've heard completely conflicting opinions on a very basic aspect of trick execution, from players who definitely have proper form. Due to that, it seems to me that the matter is very subjective.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

DimitriFrazao
Hack Fiend

Post by DimitriFrazao » 28 Oct 2010 09:17

So maybe proper form is performing a trick perfectly, where no energy is wasted in the process?

Like all body parts do what they're suppose to do (in order to perform a certain trick) so efficiently to the point where you don't spend any extra movement?

Yep. Footbag seems very subjective and I can see why the idea of proper form changes from player to player.

Does IFPA tries to define proper form? At least something basic like stalls, kicks, butterfly, etc.

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 28 Oct 2010 12:30

Proper form is a technique which is anatomically correct and won't compromise your health or safety.

Here's a good start:
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... ht=#436324

Saying proper form is unattainable or opinion based is like telling young kids to play in traffic.

JM
Jorden Moir

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 28 Oct 2010 12:49

Jorden wrote:
Saying proper form is unattainable or opinion based is like telling young kids to play in traffic.

JM
by opinion-based, I think he meant 'different for each person'. Which is completely legitimate, I think.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 28 Oct 2010 17:38

Surely Jorden is trying to be funny with a simile like that.

There are obviously broad aspects of form that are universal, but there are other aspects where there isn't a consensus. If you talk to Anssi or Ales Zelinka about the correct way of setting the bag for furious blender they tell you different things? Who is right? What kind of way could we determine that one of them is right? We don't have that ability. If I'm judging a sick one contest and they both hit that trick in the manner that they think is the best way of hitting it and the judge makes their own decision based on their personal opinion, doesn't it then just become random as to which person wins? We could just toss a coin and get the same result.

My statement about the attainability of "proper form" was; "In some ways I don't think "proper form" really exists, or at least is unattainable, because I'd call it hitting something perfectly."

By this, I mean that "proper form" means hitting something perfectly. It doesn't just mean hitting it in a manner that is "anatomically correct and won't compromise your health or safety. " Hitting DLOs by turning away from the bag is anatomically correct (or are you using that phrase as a metaphore?) and doesn't compromise health or safety, and yet it's still bad form.

The manner in which I mean that proper form is unattainable is that I mean it's unattainable to actually achieve perfection. It's a goal that's value is in the process, rather than something that you can succeed at. Are there tricks that you're perfect at Jorden?

DimitriFrazao
Hack Fiend

Post by DimitriFrazao » 28 Oct 2010 18:05

[quote="Jorden"]
Here's a good start:
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... ht=#436324

Thanks Jorden.
I've read this post many times actually :)
I guess I've been reading about proper form without knowing it.

Is it possible to properly hit any trick without having to push the body beyond its limit?

I'm curious because I've seen some tricks that look like it would crush the joints if you do it often.
I'm not there yet so all I do is wonder :)

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 29 Oct 2010 08:36

Jeremy wrote: There are obviously broad aspects of form that are universal, but there are other aspects where there isn't a consensus. If you talk to Anssi or Ales Zelinka about the correct way of setting the bag for furious blender they tell you different things? Who is right? What kind of way could we determine that one of them is right? We don't have that ability. If I'm judging a sick one contest and they both hit that trick in the manner that they think is the best way of hitting it and the judge makes their own decision based on their personal opinion, doesn't it then just become random as to which person wins? We could just toss a coin and get the same result.
I think the main issue here is there is no consensus in the community on the definition of form. I find that words like form, style, execution and technique are often used interchangeably on the forum because they are vaguely defined in our sport.

You appear to be grouping other aspects of hitting tricks into "form" such as cleanliness and consistency. Obviously someone knows a thing or two about posture and body position if they're hitting things like furious blender. We must accept that these players are the minority and should/need not be the primary focus in our definitions.

Using form as the broader term you suggest, would you agree that something like technique preference (ex. furious as whirling-stepping or stepping-quantum) is a very small piece of the puzzle?

Even if technique preference, consistency and cleanliness are part of form they are really only the top
of the pyramid. 100 clean mirages in a row are meaningless if the player just gave themselves shin splints and can't play for a week. Clean ducks are meaningless if it causes neck strain. Cool-looking furious sets are meaningless if it tweaks your back, etc.

Having mixed-up priorities causes the demise of so many players it's depressing. Look at any video thread from a new player in the Videos subforum. Instead of people giving advice such as "stand up straighter and save your back" people say "don't frog your spins/turn on your DLOs". So the player works on cleaner spins/DLOs with a hunched back. Problem solved. Everybody's happy. :(
WAKE UP PEOPLE!

The obsession for cleanliness at an early stage in one's game is NOT healthy. What is more important is the foundation that is developed, i.e. posture, relaxedness, breathing, balance, lightness and efficiency.
Creating a grounds for a simplified effortless game will take you leaps and bounds beyond a mindless driller.

An unclean trick can always become 100% clean, but an injured body can sometimes never recover 100% .
Jeremy wrote: My statement about the attainability of "proper form" was; "In some ways I don't think "proper form" really exists, or at least is unattainable, because I'd call it hitting something perfectly."
From this perspective yeah, "proper form" is unattainable. Although I'm unsure why you defined proper as "perfect". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In any art form perfection is technically unattainable.
However, we know some specific body movements are bad technique (flat feet. knees turned in, etc.). If we only have body movements deemed good technique (efficient and the way our bodies are meant to move, excluding everything known to be bad technique) then why can't there be "perfect" technique? If the player is also completely satisfied with their style and the move is clean, who is to say this isn't perfect?

To say proper form is unattainable, although true by this definition, is unhelpful because it indirectly discourages players from trying to achieve their own perfection. This is something that drives our sport and has created the diversity of players we have today.
Jeremy wrote: The manner in which I mean that proper form is unattainable is that I mean it's unattainable to actually achieve perfection. It's a goal that's value is in the process, rather than something that you can succeed at.
Right. That's basically what I stated above.
But why the Debbie Downer approach? Especially towards a keen new player? I guess I just don't understand the benefit (if any) of you reinforcing this statement.
Jeremy wrote:Are there tricks that you're perfect at Jorden?
In my view, perfection in footbag is not the muscle memory in the mind to be used at a future time. How could that ever be perfect?
Perfection lies in the instant. Where all elements (environment, crowd, timing, mental state, trick) come together in perfect harmony. When the right trick happens at the right time and generates the right reaction in me and in the crowd.

It's really the best feeling in the entire world.
Synergy.

JM
Jorden Moir

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 29 Oct 2010 08:49

Wow, great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jorden, I appreciated it.

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 29 Oct 2010 12:16

I think it's safe to say that something is executed with good form if other people seeing that agree on it. It should look smooth, effortless - piece of cake.

Saying for yourself that you hit something with good form and it felt flawless isn't always true, because when you're developing your style that certain trick gets better and better and sometimes when you think it was a perfect executiong, there's really still a little to improve.

In other sports like figure skating form means that even your hands must be in certain exact positions etc. and that's what the judges are looking for. I don't think footbag will go that far for some time.

DimitriFrazao
Hack Fiend

Post by DimitriFrazao » 29 Oct 2010 15:11

If that's okay, I'm gonna write down what I understood to see if you guys agree on it, and so that other newcomers like me can learn from it.
Wow! Let me get my notepad and pen :)

Proper form = Correct posture, properly cushioning, breathing and any other aspect of a performance that will prevent you from getting injured.

Efficiency = Performing a trick the best way possible without wasting energy. (is efficiency good for the body and considered proper form???)
Is cleanliness and efficiency the same? Or is cleanliness part of style?

Style = An individual unique way of playing and moving. I assume one can always try to shape it's own style, right? Making it better.

Consistency = the ability to hit a trick with the same proper form, efficiency and style each time.

Would you say that the following hierarchy is a good way to approach anything in footbag?
1- learn the Proper form
2- Try to do it efficiently
3- Work on cleanliness/style ???
4- Make it consistent each time.

Thanks for all your posts.
I'm kinda obsessed right now with breaking down footbag.
Reading your posts have been really helpful for me to better understand it.
Thanks.