Drugs in footbag

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 01 Sep 2007 17:44

Jeremy, you seem to treat drinking very lightly.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 Sep 2007 07:48

Alcohol abuse is terrible for your health.

A study by The Academy of Medical Science, which ranked the harm of drugs against each other ranked Alcohol as the 5th most harmful drug (of the 20 they ranked); worse for your health than tobacco, amphetamines, cannabis, LSD, GHB and ecstasy.

That doesn't stop me from drinking (in fact I am drinking a bottle of James Squire; Golden Ale right now), but I only binge drink very rarely.

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 04 Sep 2007 12:00

Jeremy thanks for always debating in terms of facts and citing sources. It keeps everyone here honest and I wish more people did it.

I find that on this issue in particular there is a lot of hearsay, propaganda and simply outright disinformation on both the pro and con side. So thanks for keeping the discussion grounded.

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 04 Sep 2007 12:04

I'm going to guess that the top four were.....
1. Heroin
2. crack/cocaine
3. Meth-amphetamine
4. Morphine/Opium.....or some other opiate.....

In conclusion....do LSD. :roll: :lol:
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Wu_
Multidex Master

Post by Wu_ » 04 Sep 2007 12:33

I agree with Ben ... Jeremy does do his thing the right way ... but without a real source link or something along that line we can only take his word for it that what he is saying is true.

:oops: here is a link stating that alcohol is worse than xtc brought to us by a british newspaper... but as always media can twist things around so you can never be quite sure unless you do serious research on this topic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/ma ... hol123.xml

another little article from ezines where the author is stating that sugar addiction is comparable with smoking, alcohol or even gambling. Again I wouldn't be too sure.. since these are always people from some kind of magazine talking on these topics

http://ezinearticles.com/?Control-Your- ... &id=299012

not tryin to really prove a point.. just some sources thrown out there

*__* Marcus D. W-H. *__*

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 04 Sep 2007 12:43

CautionFragile wrote: Breathing in the air in a city like Toronto or NY is just as bad, trust me.

Why in the world should we trust you?
Danny P.

CautionFragile
BSOS Beast

Post by CautionFragile » 04 Sep 2007 13:16

You don't have to. Unlike half the ppl on this forum I don't claim to be the "be all end all of knowledge". So prove me wrong.
All you gotta do is go huff on the tail pipe of running vehicle for abit and then try and go about your day. Then do the same thing with weed, smoke on a bong, fuck do it 15 times in a row if it makes you feel any better, I can garantee that the exhaust will kill you first.

Wu_
Multidex Master

Post by Wu_ » 04 Sep 2007 13:17

In the article "Alcohol is more dangerous than XTC" that i posted above I read that they base part of the research on deaths e.g. people that die from poiosoning, car accidents etc... right at the moment i read the thing on basing it on car accidents i kinda didnt like it because alcohol is a dangerous LEGAL drug and because of that the amount of people abusing alcohol are wwaaaaay higher than people abusing XTC. As in Germany alcohol is in most countries more like a tradition.. okok that might be a bit far fetched.. but it really is a totally normal thing to be drinking alcohol. Reading up on what these scientists base their research on sometimes really seems upsurd to me but i guess you have to base it on something... better than basing it on nothing i guess 8O
LEGAL drug ..ILLEGAL drug.. there is a huge difference.. hard to compare that kind of thing. The worst thing about it is that alot of times in the past illegal drugs were soooooo outlawed that you couldnt even do efficient research on it.

*__* Marcus D. W-H. *__*

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 04 Sep 2007 14:55

CautionFragile wrote:You don't have to. Unlike half the ppl on this forum I don't claim to be the "be all end all of knowledge".
I think your implying Jeremy, but all Jeremy's done is cite scientific studies on the subject, and all you've done is said "nu-uh!".

Also, wrapping your lips around a running car exhaust pipe is not exactly the same thing as walking around in a city.
Danny P.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 Sep 2007 15:25

I misinterpreted the title of this thread, cut open all of my footbags, and became really disappointed. Not only do I not have drugs, now all my footbags are cut up. :x

CautionFragile
BSOS Beast

Post by CautionFragile » 04 Sep 2007 15:28

I was defending a satetement I had made earlier, that was simply an example, that was followed by a figure of speech.
Would it make you feel better if I just said you guys were right and I'm an idiot?

Hope this helps clarify my point a bit. I have spent half of my life breathing completely fresh air. I don't mean, outside air styles fresh air, I mean clean northern mountain town air that makes you feel like a champ. That's some good shit. I have also lived in 2 major cities so far, and was raised in Sudbury, which is a city that is known for pumping tons of sulfar and other forms of polution into the air that spreads out to fuckin wazoo and back.

I can smoke like 8 bong hits in a row. I smoke big bonghits. And I can go all day. No problem, never get burnt.
I can't walk for a half hour in Toronto without feeling like I'm about to die because of all the smog and shit in the air.

I may not be making my point using the theory and science applied to it, but I am making my point using the knowledge I aquired through years and years of experience. I may not be right, but I know that I would rather do a bong hit or 9 and play footbag in Mattawa than go clean sober and play in Toronto.

Wu_
Multidex Master

Post by Wu_ » 04 Sep 2007 15:35

not that i really wanna back up cautionfragile but here it is anyways :oops:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/ ... .pollution

*__* Marcus D. W-H. *__*

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 Sep 2007 17:46

A source for the drug rankings (I'm fairly sure I've sourced other claims I've made in this topic).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6474053.stm

Sorry this is just a news story on the report, rather than the report itself.

Dope smokers have all kinds of different ways of justifying their habit, and I also don't want people to think that I'm saying that you shouldn't (or should) do drugs. Personally I've experimented with at least 9 of the drugs on that list (I say at least 9 because there are some organic substances I've tried, where I don't remember what the active chemical was). All I'm saying is that drug use is bad for your health. I was prepared to take a risk and try cocaine once in my life, so that I knew what the experience was like, but I am over 99% sure that I will never try it again.

Science has shown us countless times that the realities of the world are not intuitive. Just because we think that the world works in a particular way, doesn't mean it actually does. The evidence about the damage to your lungs, throat and mouth etc. is overwhelming. I would be willing to bet money that people living in Toronto or Sudbury who smoke have much higher levels of cancer than people who don't. The fact that Caution can take 8 bong hits in a row, without feeling any discomfort doesn't meant that it's not doing him harm, I would suggest it means he's already done significant harm to himself, and the lack of pain is a symptom of that.

Of course without a medical examination it would be hard to be certain. Maybe you've mutated into a person with stronger airways. I find it more likely that you've done some serious nerve damage from inhaling hot smoke.

I would also suspect that the fact you can't walk for half an hour in Toronto without feeling like you're going to die is related to repository illness.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 04 Sep 2007 18:00

Jeremy- would you be open minded if I were to post some studies that contradict the ones you have been reading?

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 Sep 2007 18:18

I don't see how I could be more "open minded." We must define that word differently.

My opinions are based completely on the evidence I've seen, and not on my own person dogmas. If I were to view different evidence, it would obviously change my opinions.

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 04 Sep 2007 18:19

C-Fan wrote:I misinterpreted the title of this thread, cut open all of my footbags, and became really disappointed. Not only do I not have drugs, now all my footbags are cut up. :x
lol :lol:
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Wu_
Multidex Master

Post by Wu_ » 04 Sep 2007 18:48

Jeremy you tyrant!!... guess some of the potheads feel pushed against a wall :twisted: good job :twisted: :twisted:

*__* Marcus D. W-H. *__*

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 05 Sep 2007 05:47

Wu_ wrote:I agree with Ben ... Jeremy does do his thing the right way ... but without a real source link or something along that line we can only take his word for it that what he is saying is true.

:oops: here is a link stating that alcohol is worse than xtc brought to us by a british newspaper... but as always media can twist things around so you can never be quite sure unless you do serious research on this topic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/ma ... hol123.xml

another little article from ezines where the author is stating that sugar addiction is comparable with smoking, alcohol or even gambling. Again I wouldn't be too sure.. since these are always people from some kind of magazine talking on these topics

http://ezinearticles.com/?Control-Your- ... &id=299012

not tryin to really prove a point.. just some sources thrown out there
Not throwing an insult at you but IMHO theres a fine line between stating something thats backed up by evidence and filling a post with blue underlined text that noone's going to click on. Unless people actually ask you to 'give evidence' or whatever, its pretty much useless.

I lolled hard at Ken's post about cutting up footbags.
Oliver Adams

CautionFragile
BSOS Beast

Post by CautionFragile » 05 Sep 2007 07:11

Why would my lung damage only be evident in Toronto and not at my grandma's place in Mattawa?

CautionFragile
BSOS Beast

Post by CautionFragile » 05 Sep 2007 08:52

I don't want anyone thinking I'm here to push pot on ppl, or to even justify my using it. But my lungs are power I promise you :P

As I have previously stated, I know it's bad for you, I just wanted to say that it won't kill you or make you retarted.
I know it's great to always have the "article" backing your point, but some ppl aren't readers. And also, telling ppl who smoke weed why it's bad for them probably won't change a thing because if they cared they would've found that information for themselves. Ppl have probably been telling them their whole life that drugs are bad, and they obviously didn't care. I know I didn't. If anything would get me to quit smoking weed, it wouldn't be because it's bad for me, but because it can get expensive.

And it wouldn't be fair for anyone to look down on someone who doesn't have the time to do the research, because some ppl have other responsibilities that can take up a lot of time.

Believing in something is great, but preaching it can make you look like an ass. And apparently having an opinion and not backing with an article can also make you an ass :oops: My argument for not using the articles is that I do not in any way shape or form trust the human factor.

All I know is that I lucked out and actually found drugs in my footbag. :P

And just so that everyone doesn't think I'm a crazy drug addict, I have only touched Cannabis, Alcohol and Tobacco from that list up dere. At least as far as I know :P