Canada you suck. Please comment

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Canada you suck. Please comment

Post by Jeremy » 13 Jan 2009 18:32

Ok the title is a little misleading and possibly aimed at attracting Canadians to read the topic ;)

One of my least favourite journalists wrote this column recently (although she occasionally says good things);

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/ ... m_2009_bc/

[quote="Janet Albrechtsen"]HERE I am in Canada again. And once again I am receiving a few free lessons about a charter of rights. Just about every time I am in this otherwise great country, its Charter of Rights and Freedoms is making headlines for all the wrong reasons. Reasons that Australians should be digesting as the push for an Australian charter of rights unfolds this year.

This time in Canada it’s a cracker of a story about a preacher man who has had 26 wives and more than 106 children. Clearly a sucker for punishment, 52-year-old Winston Blackmore, from the aptly named town of Bountiful in British Columbia, was arrested last Wednesday amid much media hoopla and charged with breaching BC’s criminal prohibition on polygamy.

Not taking a backward step, Blackmore says his fundamentalist Mormon beliefs on polygamy are protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and that the charter overrides BC’s criminal code.

Lesson No1 for interested onlookers is this: the claim by charter advocates that human rights are universal, immutable and absolute is demonstrable rubbish. No right, especially a vaguely expressed waffle like “freedom of religionâ€

semiconscious
Multidex Master

Post by semiconscious » 14 Jan 2009 08:46

This is a very interesting topic. Although I am Canadian (which is probably what cause me to open this thread in the first place), I doubt that my opinion on this has much to do with my perspective as a Canadian.
In the first, my knowledge of the charter of rights and freedoms, and the Canadian juducial and parliamentary system as a whole is a little shaky. I did just sit down and read the wikipedia entry on the charter, and a little bit of the charter itself, where I was interested in the specifics of the wording (Sections 1 and 33, for instance).
In the second, my general faith in legal documents is not 100 percent, and while I certainly support the idea of having a charter, I have never believed that such a document would, in any way, be able to universally apply without a little bit of tweaking in specific circumstances. The important second part of this is that often, the situations in which issues arise between the charter and the law are moot points, and you'll find large groups of people supporting both sides with an equally strong force of opinion.
As far as the two clauses go, as I understand it, section 33 is the notwithstanding clause, and this is what allows parliaments to override specific portions of the charter, and section one is what judges will use to determine whether a specific portion of the charter should be overridden in any kind of situation. This seems to mean, as your reporter noted, that even when parliaments invoke a notwithstanding clause, it is often left up to a judge to determine whether this use was justified.
As much as this does kind of override democratic process in favour of judicial process, historically, it seems, mostly parliaments have used (or attempted to use) section 33 as a way to limit parliamentary responsibility, limit personal freedoms, and suppress labour actions. For instance, Quebec used it to continue to enforce the (in my opinion unjust) law that all commercial signage in Quebec had to be in French (despite the sizeable anglophone population). Alberta, also, more recently, used it to define marriage in a way that excluded the possibility of same sex marriage, as well as attempting to use it to limit lawsuits for forced sterilisations that the government had performed in the past (although it failed). I can't yet find a use of section 33 that I support, although I'll admit I didn't look that hard.
As far as the use of section one is concerned, despite there certainly being a little room for the personal opinions of the presiding judge to play a factor in the deliberation, the wording and definitions involved allow for much less freedom to go against the charter than does section 33. Again, historically, this clause has been used to limit hate speech, a limitation on universal freedoms which I do support, and obscenity, which I am a little more hesitant to support, but still have less issues with than the removal of a possibility for same sex marriage.
Ms. Albrechtsen discussed the giving of power to these 'Aristocratic' people of the law, but I can't find any situation in which the judicial branch has really overstepped what I consider its boundaries in using section one to override the charter. So, while in theory, she may have a point, historically, it doesn't hold much water. Our judicial process seems to be, for the most part, relatively transparent, and any abuse of section one wouldn't go unnoticed for long.
As far as the specific example of mormon polygamy is concerned, I am relatively divided on the issue. While I'm not that big on polygamy (especially to this degree!), nor am I in any way religious, I do object to any type of limitation on religious freedoms, especially in a situation in which no one is being outright hurt. What this does mean is that I believe a much more in-depth study of the living conditions within these polygamous mormon households should be undertaken, and any type of abuses which go against the other fundamental freedoms in the charter should be dealt with under the law. While the charter should prevent this man for being charged merely for being a polygamist, since the parliament has deemed polygamy illegal, I believe a search of the premises would not go against section 8 of the charter, which discusses unreasonable search and seizure.
The final thought is that regardless of whether a judge makes the final decision, or parliament, there are going to be a sizeable handful of people who don't get their way. Basically, it's either going to be a case of a tyranny of the judiciary, or a tyranny of the majority. I could care less which gets the final say.
Sam Neale

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 14 Jan 2009 13:47

I had a hard time getting around that idiot author's conversational tone an Australian vernacular.

-D

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 14 Jan 2009 15:18

Well it's a blog/column not a journalistic report, so you should expect some kind of personalisation.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 14 Jan 2009 15:19

Also sorry for the double post but thanks Sam, your opinion was interesting :)

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 15 Jan 2009 16:12

Canada has good dancers!!!!

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 17 Jan 2009 02:14

Canada has brown 100 dolla bills. Nuff said.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 17 Jan 2009 08:32

The brown is kinda lame....but the red 50 is doope. :lol:
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Princess Rockelette
Shredalicious

Post by Princess Rockelette » 22 Feb 2009 00:15

Even though I'm bilingual, I wouldn't be able to develop such huge arguments in english like you guys, so I'll sound less intelligent than I could in french. Let's put it this way:

In my province, a lot of Quebecois (french-canadians) consider the creator of that chart, Pierre-Elliot Trudeau, to be one of the worst assholes to ever have governed Canada. Funnily enough, in the rest of Canada, some even worship him (shows how different we people are). Personally, I believe the chart he left us is one of the most ridiculous political/judicial crap going on, next to the governor-general position still existing. I already heard before about that mormon thing happening in Court, and how they hide behind that chart, just like a certain category of muslims did to walk around with their "kirpans", a religious knife. I don't know if they ended up accepting the polygamy for mormons or not...But if Canada do, it really shows how fucking stupid their system is, and how we need to dissociate with these idiots. I'll feel even more ashamed to say that I am from Canada, as Stephen Harper is making us look like retards (and I did choose that word specifically) by not taking a green turn for environment even if they signed Kyoto's agreement. But this is another subject.
Behind every great man there's a great woman

Marie-Eve /name in signature

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 22 Feb 2009 04:21

Thanks for the reply Marie-Eve, your post was eloquent and intelligent.

From the sound of it I'm guessing that you're strongly in favour of the Quebec nationalist movement? I'd love to hear the reasons why that is. I've spoken to a lot of English Canadians about it (who are generally indifferent. One particular footbagger from the West Coast who I spoke to didn't even the know the name of his PM :P) but never heard from somebody who actually lives there.

Also feel free to go off topic as much as you like :)

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 23 Feb 2009 10:34

Princess Rockelette
Shredalicious

Post by Princess Rockelette » 24 Feb 2009 04:53

Thanks Jeremy. I think the last person you should ask about que Quebec nationalism movement is an english canadian. I used to have a lot of prejudices against them, we Quebecois are often raised with the english canadian hate, for our parents went through certain political issues, notably under the shameless creator of that damned chart, Pierre-Elliot Trudeau. However, no matter what is their etnicity, a human is a human. In my opinion regarding Sovereignty, it's not a matter of "race" english vs french, but more of a fundamentally different way to expect our country to be working. I guess you could compare it with how the Americans felt that they had to break free from the British empire, or how Norway felt when they separated from Sweden. To understand this, you could simply go around Canada in the english provinces then end up your trip in Quebec (but not in Montreal, which is different from all the rest of Quebec). Most people see the difference. Not only is our behaviour different, but our system is different, we tend on being more on the left-wing, way less capitalists. Because of those differences, when the federal take measures for Quebec, they often displease our people. Isn't it normal to desire the power to make your own decisions when the people that do it for you do not take in account your interests?

It would be so easy to say: "Oh, English Canada hates us, that's why we want to separate, bla bla bla", but even if that was true, it's way deeper than that. If you really are interested in the subject, I cannot encourage you enough to read this: The black book of English Canada, by Normand Lester (who got fired for it haha). This is the purest and strongest book for the explanation of Quebec Nationalism.
Behind every great man there's a great woman

Marie-Eve /name in signature