Going Rogue?

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
fatbagger
Multidex Master

Going Rogue?

Post by fatbagger » 02 Jun 2012 05:46

Rogue is not the right word but it sounded cool.

I was wondering if anyone has thought about leaving there residence behind and refuse to pay for housing. Sounds like being a bum and kind of is I guess. But I mean if you have a job and do this and instead of paying for something that should be free to everyone use the money for something more meaningful.

As a working man I feel kind of like I'll just continue to live month to month, paycheck to paycheck. And yeah, I'll make enough to live in comfort. But I won't have the money to make the impact that I want to on my world. You shouldn't have to put so much effort into just having a place to exist. I want to contribute to society in my way. Not just pay for rent, then help with what's left. I could have gone to college and still can. But again, I don't want to go to college to get a degree so I can have a good job. I like working. I like my job. I want to go to college just to learn. Then apply it as I see fit. Imagine if everyone in the world just said no. Stopped paying for housing. You don't need it in most areas anyway. What would the world do, say "no one can go in the billions of homes and apartments that are all empty and no one is willing to pay for."?

That won't happen of course but why not for an individual. I don't need to pay for shelter. So I am not going to. I will make the world better with my efforts. For me and for whoever else I decide. I know I can do a lot. And inside, I have always know that it was only up to me to decide.

I am going to do this starting in august, my decision is made. I've worked out all the details and will have access to everything i need hygiene wise. And remember, I do have a job. I don't know how my family or friends are going to react. They could view it a number of ways and I do care what they think of me but it won't change anything. I think they'll approve but be caught off guard by it. It's not like it needs to be forever, just as long as I feel I need to. 5, 10 years, I don't know. I do know what I want to do though.

So I'll ask. Has anyone thought of doing this? What do you think? Suggestions? Feel free to just rip on me if you want :lol: I don't care. I just kind of want some feedback on this topic. I'm really excited, I've thought of this for a great while now and always found an excuse why it had to wait till later. Now I'm ready.
I like to play.
I want to play good.
Dan Reed

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 02 Jun 2012 20:08

I'm a little confused. Are you going to stop paying rent, or are you going to be homeless?

fatbagger
Multidex Master

Post by fatbagger » 03 Jun 2012 09:16

I'm going to start living in my truck. So I guess that means I'm going to be homeless. I won't be in debt, not my style. But I don't want to do it that way anymore. I have terminated my lease and am paying the last bit of it. I will save my money and use it for something instead of nothing. This is an extreme change in my life I have chosen. This is what I want to do and I have access to everything I could possibly need.
I like to play.
I want to play good.
Dan Reed

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 03 Jun 2012 09:42

That's a very courageous thing to do, good luck.

You should check out this blog by Ken Ilgunas -- he lived in his van while he paid his way through grad school and probably could offer some insight on the lifestyle. www.spartanstudent.blogspot.com

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 Jun 2012 12:22

Nathan wrote:That's a very courageous thing to do, good luck.
This sounds really interesting. I'd like to hear how it goes for you. It reminds me of this, albeit way less extreme:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtafqbZBESM[/youtube]

Also, thanks for the blog link, Nathan -- good read!

fatbagger
Multidex Master

Post by fatbagger » 04 Jun 2012 18:18

Nathan-Thanks for the link to the blog. I haven't read beyond the first two pages but I like it so far. Maybe I'll find something helpful. As for now I just want some chickens.
Eric- I plan on keeping a blog on here once I start. It probably won't be a good read or anything but I would like to keep track of my experiences living this way. Cool video but yeah, that is way more extreme than anything I plan on doing. What I am going to do shouldn't be that difficult for me. I really don't feel like I need the stuff I'm leaving behind.

Let's not get this twisted. I'll have a smartphone, a vehicle to sleep in, cheap gym membership at a 24hr gym with showers and lockers and a locker at work. I'll still be spending about 15-20% of my income on what I feel that I want/need. I could go a lot farther but that's not what I want. I still want to maintain a normal life, just without an actual home.
I like to play.
I want to play good.
Dan Reed

fatbagger
Multidex Master

Post by fatbagger » 08 Jun 2012 15:47

So I thought I had a deal to get out of my lease for a fixed fee, but due to the fact that this complex is having trouble renting out units the owner decided to not let me out of my lease without paying a normal penalty. I would have to either the remainder of my lease(something like $4,700) or pay $640 in fees and the cost of my rent for however long it takes to rent out the unit. Since 2 other identical apartments are still vacant I don't think it would rented out anytime soon. This effectively kills all my plans. I was told that they could help me out and not to worry about it, so much for that. I thought I had a deal worked out but the big guys said no. Now I have to wait till Feb. to do this. :x It'll come soon though. I keep telling myself "just a few months". This really made me angry, I did a lot of work to get prepared and make sure EVERYTHING was figured out. At least it wasn't for nothing, in February I'll be really prepared.
I hate renting!!!
I like to play.
I want to play good.
Dan Reed

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Jun 2012 15:55

You could always try subletting.

fatbagger
Multidex Master

Post by fatbagger » 08 Jun 2012 17:22

That's a good Idea. Unfortunately I am renting a studio that has a lot of damages. I didn't want to get stuck with damage costs and personally it doesn't bother me. So I would need to find someone looking for a studio that doesn't mind trashed linoleum and various other stuff. I don't personally know anyone who fit's the bill, but I might put an ad up on craigslist or something. Just need to be sure it's someone trustworthy. Maybe I'll get lucky.
I like to play.
I want to play good.
Dan Reed