Suicide

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
sPinko-Mania
Multidex Master

Post by sPinko-Mania » 25 Jun 2004 21:38

TWEAK wrote:Sometimes it's not just a phase. And sometimes if it IS just a phase, there can be multiple phases. Sometimes just realizing that their life is just a cycle of bad phases over and over again could understandably be enough to drive someone to want to commit suicide.
Sure, I realise there will be cases like that, but I think it is a very rare occurances. I'm also pretty sure that young people have the highest rates of suicide (in New Zealand it's young men especially). Given their youth, it's hard to argue that they know their life is going to be just a string of bad phases.

I mean if I was hanging out with a mate and then s/he started to commit suicide, no doubt I would forcefully stop them (and not just because that sort of thing shouldn't be done infront of non-consenting others). But if the decision was explained rationally beforehand, and the person in question had held that idea for a sufficiently lengthy period of time I wouldn't intervene if they wanted to do it while I wasn't around. It's weird talking about it though, cause it never happens like that.
Ben Spink McCarthy
They say God lives inside us. If this is true, I hope he likes salmonella. Because that's what he's getting.

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 26 Jun 2004 21:48

Hasn't anyone told you yet crazydwarf? There is no god. No eternity of pleasure either.
Suicide is merely hastening the inevitable. I say let people kill themselves, just make sure they don't do it via the metro so I'm not late for class/work.
Too many people on this planet anyway, if someone is too mentally weak to handle life good riddance, they're doing us all a favour.
James McCullough

sPinko-Mania
Multidex Master

Post by sPinko-Mania » 27 Jun 2004 23:50

james wrote:There is no god
Prove it :wink:
Ben Spink McCarthy
They say God lives inside us. If this is true, I hope he likes salmonella. Because that's what he's getting.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Jun 2004 00:28

I definately believe people have the right to end their own life. It is shameful, though, for someone not to consider and act rationally based on the pros and cons weighed.

I met my girlfriend's dad for the first time yesterday. He told us a really moving story. A farmer (Farmer A) was pressured to purchase modified canola to grow in his fields. He refused. The farmer (or corporation? -- Farmer B) who tried to sell him the modified canola owned the next farm over and grew the modified canola there. Farmer B's modified canola ended up fertilizing Farmer A's unmodified canola. Farmer A's canola fields became contaminated and the modified canola replaced the unmodified. Farmer B proceded to sue Farmer A for using a canola that he did not purchase the patent rights to. Farmer A went to the Supreme Court to plead his case and lost. Farmer A took his own life in protest.

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 29 Jun 2004 16:27

The moral of the story:

The Supreme court needs to commit suicide.

-n
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

-----------------------------------
-nathan

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 29 Jun 2004 16:43

I like that moral
John D

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 29 Jun 2004 20:51

There's too many people running around, we need suicide booths like in Futurama :lol:
More C4 please <3

Johnny
Post Master General

Post by Johnny » 30 Jun 2004 07:04

HooD wrote:There's too many people running around, we need suicide booths like in Futurama :lol:
I second.
Johnny Suderman

Chris Hanratty
Mr. Jokey...Joke Maker

Post by Chris Hanratty » 30 Jun 2004 12:01

Well would this be good enough?

http://www.freep.com/suicide/

Rob
Flower Child

Post by Rob » 30 Jun 2004 13:14

I feel that if someone feels they are a shame to their family and their life. They have not only the right but the duty to end that shame. If they try and killing themselves is the only option left then you must respect their wishes.
this is the 44 Wand, the most powerful Handwand in the world, so did i fire 5 or 6 fireballs? now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do i feel lucky? well do ya punk.

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 30 Jun 2004 13:31

That would be the Chinese philosophy on the subject.

Disgrace is a big issue that often leads to suicide in that culture.

Nice to see you Rob!
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

richardabshire
Fearless

Post by richardabshire » 01 Jul 2004 09:12

Suicide is never the answer for any problem. If you see someone on that edge, HELP THEM GET BETTER, NOT DEAD. Think about if the world gave up on you. What then? It is sad to hear some of these posts about a topic like this and how it is discounted because it doesn't concern one of us. There are always other solutions to problems like that and giving up is not one of them. Most people need help in one way or another, but have a hard time asking for it. That is when it takes a caring person to step in and lend a hand. There is no downside by doing this and the upside is you might just save a life.Hope this helps,Richie

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 01 Jul 2004 10:01

richardabshire wrote:Suicide is never the answer for any problem. If you see someone on that edge, HELP THEM GET BETTER, NOT DEAD. Think about if the world gave up on you. What then?
Dude I totally agree with that... a few years back Chan and Rob and some others on this board helped me with a horrible case of depression when I was on the edge. I think most of the people are joking about this, and I guess that's okay, as long as they know there's a serious side to it as well.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 03 Jul 2004 11:47

If someone truly wants to kill themselves you can't stop them. Life has to be dealt with, either deal with it or suffer, rise or fall. Depression is a luxury.
Unless of course your chemically unbalanced, then maybe you need some drugs.
James McCullough

Chris Hanratty
Mr. Jokey...Joke Maker

Post by Chris Hanratty » 03 Jul 2004 17:02

richardabshire wrote:Suicide is never the answer for any problem. If you see someone on that edge, HELP THEM GET BETTER, NOT DEAD. Think about if the world gave up on you. What then? It is sad to hear some of these posts about a topic like this and how it is discounted because it doesn't concern one of us. There are always other solutions to problems like that and giving up is not one of them. Most people need help in one way or another, but have a hard time asking for it. That is when it takes a caring person to step in and lend a hand. There is no downside by doing this and the upside is you might just save a life.Hope this helps,Richie
Very well said Richie... I just want to clear something up. Just because I think that a person has the RIGHT to end their own life, doesn't mean that I think their friends and family should just sit back and let it happen. Like Richie said, help your fellow beings.

And I'm not making a joke out of this dirtybigfoot, if that's what you may be thinking. It's a serious subject that I wanted to bring up.

innersmile
Multidex Master

Post by innersmile » 08 Jul 2004 23:35

I know 3 people too many that have killed themselves, no, sorry, actually four. It sucks, who gives a rats ass if it's wrong or right. One of my best friends tried recently as well.

Sad thing is that people get themselves into situations where they feel there's other choice. I, luckily have never been in one of those situations and most probably neither have most of you guys. You can't say what you'll do when you're forced into a corner. There are too many variables in any situation to judge clearly and each one is unique.
Greg

Have love; will travel

mouseman
Shredaholic

Post by mouseman » 09 Jul 2004 04:00

People can experience pain in a form of a sickness so much they will die.

People can experience pain in a form of depression or mental sickness so much they will die.

Only difference is that in the second option people have to take their own lifes. Neverthenless, a deadly virus or deep depression are both sicknesses which leads to death.

comastalker
BSOS Beast

Post by comastalker » 13 Jul 2004 12:16

Since 2 years it's a fact that depression is an illness. It's a lack of noradrenaline in the pre-synaptic membrane at neuronal synapses.

Even if you don't that I peronally think it's really important (not to understand the chemics but what this means).

As Jeremy mentioned I think it's a state of non-reliability (or illness) and by this there is no right or false. It's not an action but a reaction
-Richard Vock-

"And today the great Yertle, The Marvelous he,
Is King of the Mud. That is all he can see.
And the turtles, of course...all turtles are free
As turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be."
- Dr. Seuss

comastalker
BSOS Beast

Post by comastalker » 13 Jul 2004 12:50

it's quite bad to forget the verb ;) I mean "Even if you don't know"
-Richard Vock-

"And today the great Yertle, The Marvelous he,
Is King of the Mud. That is all he can see.
And the turtles, of course...all turtles are free
As turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be."
- Dr. Seuss

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 12 Aug 2004 19:28

Hasn't anyone told you yet crazydwarf? There is no god. No eternity of pleasure either.
Yeh people have told me, I just never seem to believe them... and I would live by my God's rules even if I thought there was no heaven. Just seems better to me. If there's not God life seems pretty pointless...
Dustin Rhodes