Smoke?

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.

How often do you smoke weed?

Never
50%
Only at footbag tournaments/jams
2%
Only at footbag tournaments/jams
2%
Once in a while (A few times a month)
15%
Frequently (A few times a week)
11%
Always (Most everyday, at least once a day)
19%

Total votes: 252

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 21 Aug 2004 09:00

ah i have seen people shred fearless with a jay in their mouth so I guess it does happen
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

Torch
Shredaholic

Post by Torch » 21 Aug 2004 12:37

I shred better after smoking weed. Don't get me wrong. I can kick sober too, but when I smoke it really does make a difference. Some people it hinders though, so it's not for everybody. You just have to try it for yourself. As far as how it looks to the public, if they don't like it they can kiss my ass. I also use foul language in public and around children quite often. I don't think that's such a terrible thing. I think being a lying hypocrite around kids is far worse. Hmmmm... maybe I wouldn't make a very good role model. Oh well. What was I talking about? Oh yeah, weed. Sorry, all that pot has done gone made me stupid :wink:

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 21 Aug 2004 12:44

zach how old are you?
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 21 Aug 2004 12:51

You know, the weed probably makes the painfully painful pain that comes along with footbag a lot easier to handle. Because it's painful. Maybe that's another reason footbag players smoke pot.
esteban barnez
myspace.com/rawcakes
david wrote:I was just sitting here surfing and my mom looks over my shoulder. I had to jab down the down key real quick so she wouldn't see that topic title and question me about what kind of site I was going on.

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 21 Aug 2004 13:06

16 and yes marijana is a great muscle relaxent
Last edited by zachatree on 21 Aug 2004 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 21 Aug 2004 14:15

yeah, we need more power to the 'do whatever the fuck you want so long as it doesn't hurt me' movement.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Chris Hanratty
Mr. Jokey...Joke Maker

Post by Chris Hanratty » 22 Aug 2004 06:29

I'd have to agree with Tom. I don't see why this matters. Like said, maybe the reason why people associate footbag/hacky sack (which I don't even know what you're talking about. I've never said that I play footbag/hacky sack and have someone mention anything about weed) is because a large percentage DO smoke weed. Its just weed, it's not crack, heroin or pcp. Alcohol is a more dangerous drug, and I bet more footbaggers drink rather than smoke. People shouldn't conform, hide or stop doing what they want just because you don't like the image that footbaggers have. If people are so ignorant to automatically associate ANY group with anything that could be a stereotype, then I don't give a shit what those people think about me. Just play the game, smoke a join (if that's what you do) and have fun, last time I checked this wasn't a popularity contest. I'm not out to impress people untill the time comes where my footbag skills rock and I end up going Open or something.

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 22 Aug 2004 08:38

zach you said alcohol was legal and pot isnt. but alcohol is not legal for you.
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 22 Aug 2004 09:44

no, its not. But very easy to get away with. I can get my mom to run down an get a 6 pack if i wanted, and if she wouldnt i could get 1 of 500 friends over 21 too go do it, may not be of legal age but still the point is its legal for 21 an over, and in my eyes it much worse then any thing herbal.

MrRoboto
Shredalicious

Post by MrRoboto » 22 Aug 2004 15:47

Wow, this just keeps getting beat to death.

The only thing I want to say is that if we want to draw new people to the sport here in North America, we have to face the fact that it will help ALOT if we try to look, while in the public eye, professional. If there is anything you can do about it, don't allow some new kid to be drawn away from the sport by his or her parents because of their preconceptions. Try to change them. One thing that comes to mind right away was on this years worlds website. Under the parties section there was a description about the bar with the big spider over the door, can't remember the name, but it said something along the lines of "Big crowds, Alternative music, cheap beer." I don't want to bash anyone, but I wonder what kind of vibes any of the parents of our underage competitiors might have gotten while/if they read that.

ebo
Unexplained Bacon

Post by ebo » 22 Aug 2004 16:36

jon wrote:ah i have seen people shred fearless with a jay in their mouth so I guess it does happen
Torch wrote:I shred better after smoking weed.
There you go.

full nelson
8-Bit Ninja

Post by full nelson » 23 Aug 2004 21:42

I smoked once for experience. It's not my thing.
Brad

Troyson
Fearless

Post by Troyson » 03 Oct 2005 19:38

i think it all depends on how much you smoke...if you are a frequent smoker you dont get as high, and it wont effect your game as much. However, if you only smoke occaisionally, you will get alot more high and it will be more difficult for you to do tricks you can do while your sober.

For example, i am a frequent toker, and i almost always toke up before i shred, in my opinion it makes me play better. The other day i tried to play sober and it just wasnt the same. Not only was it not as fun, but i wasnt landing as good of strings because i think smoking provides me with creativity in my tricks and style. Once again, this is only my opinion and i know that many of you may disagree with what i am saying.

Additionally, for all of you who say that us potheads slow the growth of the sport I completely disagree with you. The entire reason why my friends and i started playing footbag was because we were potheads. We had nothing to do but sit around after we would smoke so we decided to start shredding. Alot of people are drawn to this sport because it is one of the few sports you can play completely baked, and that is what i love about it. People arent gonna not play footbag because they think potheads play it...if someone has an interest in the sport they will play regardless of whether or not they smoke.

Faco
Fearless

Post by Faco » 04 Oct 2005 04:30

From my experience, weed makes stuff you like even more cool (and vice versa).
So, why not combining two passions?

I also agree that it has nothing to do with the future/growth/presentation of the sport.

On more thing. If I didn't smoke pot, I wouldn't have made so many foobag-related friendships.
It is in our blood, end of story 8)
Ales Zazaro

sniikeri
Lauri Jii

Post by sniikeri » 04 Oct 2005 04:47

Which one of you guys really need it? I've never felt that I'd need it or that it would make my life better.

We don't need alchohol or nicotine either. Do we need one intoxicant more?

-----------

I however do think that it should be legal on medical purposes, but only with doctor's instruction.
Lauri Jaakkola

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 04 Oct 2005 05:24

I've read a few comments in this thread that have left me in awe of the stupidity of it all.

First of all, with regards to 'keeping this professional' and the 'image of footbag' - as was stated near the end of page 2 of this thread - the casual use of pot is relatively common place among the demographic that makes up the majority of footbag players. The only people who care about footbag are the people who play, so who the fuck are we trying to impress? Some fat-cat who wants to make a quick buck out of what they think is a passing craze?
For alot of people, smoking weed is a lifestyle. It's a choice that they made, and it does not harm anyone but the person breathing smoke into their lungs. So what if it's illegal? So is speeding in your car, but people do it!
As far as it being all around tournaments... do players pack bongs while they're waiting for their turn in a circle? Do they pass a joint after passing the bag on the steps of the main venue? I doubt that. In most cases, the players will go somewhere discrete to do what they want to do.
Just because you're aware of guys smoking pot, doesn't mean the rest of the world is.

Freestyle footbag is not Hacky Sack! Even ignorant people can see the difference. It's just some choose not to aknowlege it.

Oh, and do I smoke weed?

Well I do, but that's NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS!
Comment in the BCS blog if you feel the need to.

Gareth Williams

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 04 Oct 2005 05:30

nobody needs pot. It's like candy, nobody needs it, but it sure is fun to eat, in moderation of course. And I for one definitely enjoy my skittles/starburst/whatever during shred.

Personally I find when I am under the influence of THC I have a kurt kobain-esk performance in the circle, as in I play hard and awesome and creative and on my game... for about 20 minutes and then I burn out and tire quickly just like Kurt and his spotlight career, therefore I refrain from smoking dubes when I want to play hard for long periods of time and leave the smoking till after when I am relaxing and not playing.

Waaaaait a minute what the fuck are we still discussing this for?

Can I offer a side question?
Do/Have any of you just get/got blottoed on a bunch of lines before shred? I bet that would be either soooo intense, or just straight up hindering.. (disclaimer: this side question is 51% serious 48% jokes with a possible 1% miscalculation)
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 04 Oct 2005 06:46

I, like Seath, get that exact same Kurt Cobain syndrome when I play stoned. I prefer to save my smoking for after a serious freestyle session.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 04 Oct 2005 08:13

but it doesn't usually work out like that does it matt :wink:

i have the same feelings as Seath and Matt, but it doesn't often work out like that at tournies.
Josiah Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

footjoe
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by footjoe » 04 Oct 2005 12:05

your never gonna get away from pot , I bet like all the basketball players in the nba smoke and look at its growth!!

People who dont smoke cant really post and know what goes on and try to judge , not pointing fingers or anything , weed brings people together , I live for passing a bong around a circle , its what makes it whole it makes you so much closer to people you dont even know, Theres just some bond that happens between people its so sweet and real. it might not make sense but I think fellow smokers will feel what im trying to say
15 year old Joe Kulacz