Reebok G-units 6 Modding Tutorial.

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Reebok G-units 6 Modding Tutorial.

Post by Wasabi » 14 Feb 2006 18:26

This is the tutorial i set up in 3 posts in my footblog. I hope you guys enjoy it :)

I've made a G-units tutorial this whole day, and would like modified to see the many possible mods that can be done with these shoes. I was a bit disappointed as to how little pictoral evidence can be shown on the many great aspects that these shoes can offer for the general buyer from what I've seen in other tutorials, thus the making of this tutorial for the creative in a way. :wink: Of course, there will be a typical mod for G-units in this post, just to show a good foundation on how a tutorial should be.

(Oh, and I was pretty wasted since last night on weed and hookah, so images may look a bit blurry.)

Anyway, less talk and more showing!

We have our typical all black Rastafarian tagged G-units. Definitely a beaut. Now let's cut her up! I immediately woke up at 11am today and immediately gathered my tools to begin my mods.

The typical toe flap cut. We all know the drill: cut the stitches off and open up those walls. We need to free the toe box so that we can do, well, the toe mod.

Open up one of the flaps you freed and slide your pair of scissors between the leather and the canvas you want on the G-units. Cut through the leather and you'll have a nice opening from there. I usually use the four holes on the leather as a guide on how much leather I want to cut off on the toe, but cut as much as needed so that the stitches don't come loose. Push down on the canvas and pull the leather upward so that you can take out the sticky glue that's in between.

Usually, I use a pair of scissors for the cuticle (that is, the blades on the scissors are curvish) to cut around and oust the leather portion of the toe-box. Of course, you can use a regular pair of scissors to do this job - I just like to be fancy. :wink: (Note: the pair of scissors I have are a bit loose and worn at the screw that holds the two blades together, thus making for a more accurate and pressured cut so which I choose. Brand new cuticle scissors can barely cut through the leather, or so I tried.)

Now we have the inside on our shoe. I bet you're asking me: Waylon, why are you posting the insides of a pair of G-units? We know what it is! Ahh, yes, but there's more to the inside than what meets the eyes, my fellow viewers. Now, we all know how aesthetically awful it is to see the plastic heel supporter just jut out when modding the G-units. Most of us leave it on (like me for my red/white/black G-units) and as they leave it there, are too lazy to scrape off the foam, while others endless cut away at the inside leather in crude cuts to reach, and then cover, the plastic heel with the leftover leather that looks bent/wrinkled out of shape from aggressive cutting. The solution?

Just feel for the heel. It should be behind the last set of lined-up holes you see on the leather, and you can typically feel for it in the inner portion of yor shoe, around the foam cushions. Generally, I use the hole of the last line closest to the heel and sole, and just mark/score it with my x-acto knife for reference, aligning the stitching with the cut. Mind you, these are 8.5 all-black Rastafarian Goonitz, so every sized shoe might be different in terms of design for sizes or style. Therefore, make sure to do a proper cut in terms of the length you want to just cover that blasted plastic heel.

Like so. Then, you just cut away at the rest of the inside and take out the leather/foam of the shoe that's covering it.

Noice. Usually, people just leave it as it is from there. I say NO. We don't want ugly foam on our beautiful G-units! Example:

No offense, Joe!
We want to flaunt on how stylish they are as we pull off those big Add moves! More people seeing you playing in good-looking shoes = more morale in giving people a choice for shoe-buying, other than Rod Lavers. Want to clear out the foam?

Just a simple pair of splinter tweezers (with a round tip, not the pointy kind) that you can find at a general shop that sells make-up, and scotch tape. You're here to take out the leftover foam and the glue that it's sticking into here. Use the tweezers to gently scrape and pick off the glue and foam, and with the scotch tape just pick off whatever leftover fuzz and glob you come by from the surface or from your picking with tweezers. If your canvas is covered in a massacre of glue and foam, then an x-acto knife or a sharp razor will do the job fine if you're careful. Here, in this step, this is the point where minutes become hours, and day can turn into night. For this unusual craft I've mastered it - I can do a complete job within 30 minutes (if for both sides of the shoe it'll take me a little bit over an hour). Anyway, if you leave the glue and foam on, you'll have crap sticking to your shoes wherever you go out to play, so it's good to take your time here.

Anyway, we should be done here! Lace them up, use your choice of insole - whether stock, Spencos, or whatever else you have in mind - and there! We're good to go!

Definitely smooth modding skills, I have here. And yes, I wear snowmen pajama pants. You can blame my cutesy bratty cousin for that. :oops: :wink:

Now, onto the alternative mods. There're two things I can find here that are unique for the G-units: the tongue and the toe box. The Rod Laver shoes have a pretty thin enough tongue for enough comfort and style without any needed mods to even think about. Not for the G-units. The tongue is bulky, thick, and pretty relentless with the "pleather" type material we see on the outer portion of the tongue. Well, here's some mods you might want to consider if you fear that your Goonitz are bulky, or just uncomfortable with the added padding in your game. Also, some mods that might help support your style of play, of course. :wink:

Here, we have the three layers of tongue you might want to consider for your G-units. Actually, there is four, but the grey foam underneath the pleather outer is so close to the pleather that it should consider a layer with it (and the pleather is pretty thin to begin with). It's pretty much the bulk of the tongue's thickness. Anyway, we have our generic black pleather that's unmodded on the left, the cotton layer in it's white glory on the right (not sure about the black G-units if that layer is white there, but odds are that it is) and the last and bottom layer of the tongue shown with all the upper layers removed in the middle. So, really, it's an argument of a thick tongue, moderate to thin tongue with the pleather outer removed, or the very stretchy extremely thin tongue underneath.

Don't fret! All-black G-units get the comfort of a black color on their tongue underneath, so you if plan on doing this mod you can strip away the pleather outer and the thin white layer to get this stretchy good tongue left over.

Now, the reason for doing this mod? Mainly, for comfort. That's all it is to me. However, under the guidance of Joe Kulacz (and I bet Jay Rose is going to loooove this) you can get a humongous toe out of the G-units!!! Now people say that the Goonitz have a large enough toe, the toe is hefty but the walls are lacking, and the toebox is... small (only from one person did I see this :?), but with this mod those guys can eat their words. :P All it takes is this mod, the modded toe, and lacing your shoes so that if you take a closer look...

The toe is BIG. Can someone say TOE BOX? A huge amount of surface area that can only rivaled with Clima 1s, I must say. You can remove the leftover leather there and leave a smidget portion so that the stitching can be in place, or you can that take that part out and stitch the tongue and toe back yourself if you want (just don't say I didn't warn you. :wink:). For me, I just cut off the eyelets and tie it up snugly as so (with the white layer left on the tongue):

Personally, I think the toe box is big as it is, and with the tongue mod it makes it even bigger. And, be forwarned, with the tongue mod in place as you try to lace it up with the walls up, the area above your toes or below your arch feels a bit loose for comfort with the lack of padding (well, that's because that area has become part of the toe box now!). However, if you're like me who just wants a snug fit with the tongue mod, the pic above is what I usually do for lacing sans the first eyelets. Or, try to lace up your shoes beginning at the second or third eyelet tightly. The world is your oyster. :o

edit: Now that I think about, this mod can be pretty significant for those daring to do the shandle shoe mod famous by Daryl Genz. I mean, the toe flaps seems pretty well-made to incorporate a toe further back than that of Lavers, so it could work for people wanting a higher level barefoot shred. Again, this is a warning. :)

Also, there's been some talk of G-units and the Brocka mod. Now, as I'm looking at the ankle support compared to regular Lavers as I wear them together, the arch on the G-units is a bit smaller than that of the Rod Lavers. That is to say there is more freedom to crank your ankle without having anything blocking it. And, judging on the material and design of the G-units, you have a cloth layer and the leather outer without any helping support for the Brockut as you stitch the area up afterwards (if you want to stitch it up, that is :wink:). Of course, if you feel that you want more freedom in ankle crank by doing a Brocka mod, there is a way.

Just cut off the leather outer around the ankle support as much as possible, beyond the stitching. There, you have the flexible cloth left to bind snugly on your ankle, and flex it without much constriction to your ankle crank. There won't be much damage in terms of the shoes, but it does leave a pretty beat-up look to them. Doesn't look particularly as clean as a general Brocka mod you see on Lavers, but it's the next best thing.

I guess that's it for now. Hope you guys liked the tutorial I slaved over today. :P
Last edited by Wasabi on 14 Feb 2006 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

RawSko
Green Footbag Ninja

Post by RawSko » 14 Feb 2006 19:26

My G6s should be ariving any day now!! I'll use this beutiful tutorial for sure!
Ben Roscoe

Kyle Hewitt
something more funny

Post by Kyle Hewitt » 14 Feb 2006 20:12

G-unit representin!

sNale
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by sNale » 15 Feb 2006 04:45

:arrow: sticky please
Max Jaeger
munich-footbag.de

Du bist Footbag!

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 17 Feb 2006 21:09

I'm wondering if I should do a heelbox mod on the G6s. There seems to be a gap that can be done to do such a mod, albeit small. And maybe a slight trim on the heel for more maneuverability for your ankles if you want to point your toe.

Plus, it would definitely be good to completely take out the stupid Rastafarian tags on my all black Goonitz near the heel. If only I had an accurate picture of Jorden Moir's modded G-units! 8)
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 28 Aug 2006 20:24

hey could someone do like a series of lacing the gunits? its kid of hard to see with black on black.

also... do you cut a spot so then the laces can go through part of the tounge so then the tounge doesnt kinda squish down when you shred?
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 28 Aug 2006 21:47

Yeah, sorry. My camera phone sucks. :oops: About a lacing tutorial, that's pretty general. You can scout the "Post your Shoes" thread for some lacing methods, and there is a website designed for lacing your shoes (too lazy to search). There are alos a lot of other footbag websites explaining how to lace your shred shoes as well.

The lacing method I did for this tutorial for the all-black G-units goes like this: Start from the third hole, then lace upward however you want until you reach the second last eyelet. String the second last eyelet to the second one from the outside, lace to the first hole, and then go through the final eyelet. For extra insurance for tightness and shortening your laces a bit, do a straight second lacing again over the final eyelet, tug, and finish by tieing off! You're done! :)

As for the second part of your post, I know for a fact that Dat Phan does the tongue-lacing incision, a la Rod Lavers. I'm sure it works pretty well. :)
NYFA represent.

tuomoruutufan
Fearless

Post by tuomoruutufan » 16 Sep 2006 10:47

Thanks for the tutorial, my mod went smoothly

Surprisingly easier than rod laver mods
~Shawn Patrick Boyle~

Jordan
Wu-Tang

Post by Jordan » 30 Jul 2008 04:42

whats the color underneath the tounge of red g-units?

and is it really necessary to cut off the walls?

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 30 Jul 2008 07:28

Jordan wrote:whats the color underneath the tounge of red g-units?

and is it really necessary to cut off the walls?

black

no
Ben Rea

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 30 Jul 2008 11:41

I would like to comment on this topic about my tutorial, and say that the tongue mod isn't very necessary. Like I mentioned in the tutorial, the mod is mainly for comfort, but if you play in your G-units more, and tighten your laces through time, the tongue compresses itself and it won't feel as poofy as you might think. I am not too sure about the Mesh G-units, as they have more padding than the conventional leather G-units, but for leather G-units you don't need to mod the tongue out.
NYFA represent.

thedudeman
Multidex Master

Post by thedudeman » 06 Jul 2010 23:07

just got my g6's in the mail modified and artsied them up
i really cannot play in these, im a quantum guy, and its like going from socks to shoes by comparison i mean the G's feel like bricks, i suppose if i were to have been playing with lavers it would have been easier
but not from the quantums, im only four months in and beginning to shred, should i just stay away from g-units until im much better or should i just get used to them and switch to lavers later?

sorry to bring back such an old topic..
im connor payne

yall already know it's stanford homie

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 07 Jul 2010 13:45

If you are considering switching to lavers, I think you should do it. I think that the leather removal mod on Gs makes a clipper bucket that can allow you to do clippers and inside stalls without the best form, and I have seen that harm some newer players' forms.

Be warned, new lavers are heavier than quantums as well. They are less bulky though.

If you can, get two sets of lavers. Shred in one, wear the other around town for the next year. By the time the first pair is busted in 12-18 months, the other pair will be primo for you to start shredding in them.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

thedudeman
Multidex Master

Post by thedudeman » 07 Jul 2010 13:48

imo lavers are way bulkier then quantums, i started out in lavers and didnt like them to much thats why i made the switch to quantums

but my question was if it would be a much less stressful transition if i went from lavers to g-units
im connor payne

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 07 Jul 2010 13:58

well, you seem to be asking

"what is easier,

1. switching from quantums to lavers

2. switching from G-units to lavers"

but maybe what you should be asking instead is

"what is easier,

1. switching from quantums to lavers

2. switching from quantums to G-units to lavers"

While the answer to the question with the first set of answers may provide some interesting info, the answer to the question with the second set of answers deals with your particular situation more than the other one.

So, I would say that, in my opinion, "switching from quantums to lavers" is going to be easier than "switching from quantums to G-units to lavers".

Hope that helps!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

thedudeman
Multidex Master

Post by thedudeman » 07 Jul 2010 16:20

well today ib played in my lavers that dont fit me so well and it felt fine, i guess the bulk from the leather on the g-units s my main problem, along with the toe
im connor payne

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 09 Aug 2010 12:38

Advanced G Unit Cargo Net Toe Box Mod

Close Up

Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

thedudeman
Multidex Master

Post by thedudeman » 13 Aug 2010 10:27

the mod above is sick^

something ive noticed about g-units is for us small foots is the toe is not nearly big enough for the bag, so generally ill lace mine so i can stall on the tongue about but since its leather it really just does not work, i dont think ive really seen many small feet players play in units
im connor payne

Adam
Shredaholic

Post by Adam » 13 Aug 2010 20:24

Thanks especially to Waylon for the detailed modding instructions and pictures.

I modified my Units and have been a happy user for about five years. Here are some of the pros and cons that I've noticed over the years:

Pros:
(1) Excellent clipper surface
(2) Good support
(3) Durable and grippy sole
I usually wear a hole through the soles of Lavers in under a year, but the sole of the Units is still going strong after five years of play.

Cons:
(1) The toe
It's not bad, but after using both Lavers and Units, I have to say that it's hard to beat the toe of Lavers. But I have some ideas I'll give below that may help to improve the toe.
(2) A bit bulkier and stiffer than Lavers
But I got used to this fairly quickly. Lavers are more flexible and form to the foot much more over time.
(3) Modding
Mods are fussier and have to be done more carefully than Lavers.

The modding advice given in this thread is good, but I would like to offer a few ideas for improvement.

My Units held up for around five years, the sole and toe especially. The cloth that is left over after modding the clipper surface is a bit thin, and I started to get a tear there after about a year or so. This never really bothered me as it didn't affect my playing.

The fatal blow to my Units--and I suspect many others may have had the same problem--was that the thin strip of leather near the toe that is left over after modding the clipper surface and cutting off the first eyelet broke. (How's that for a complex noun phrase!)

Fortunately, this can be easily remedied by NOT cutting out the small leather patch between the leather strip that runs around the toe and the leather strip that houses the eyelets. Of course, if you don't cut off the first eyelet, this advice can be ignored.

I also believe that for aesthetic purposes, the leather on the clipper surface should be cut PARALLEL to and just behind the row of four holes. This also means that if you decide to cut off the first eyelet, you will make another cut PARALLEL to the cut described in the previous sentence. You should end up with a diamond-shaped piece of leather in your hand after modding the clipper surface.

For the toe, I found that the leather strip around the front of the toe that is left after doing the standard toe mod protrudes a bit too much for my liking. I never had this problem with Lavers and it is one of the factors that is a drawback for the Units. The toe is too rigid and boxy for me.

I can't guarantee that this will remedy the problem, but for my next pair of Units I'm going to leave a small strip of leather around the front top edge of the toe box. I'm hoping that this will smooth the transition from the toe box to the rigid leather around the front of the toe. We'll see if it works.
Adam Catt
Kyoto Shredder
http://www.h2.dion.ne.jp/~kz.com

thedudeman
Multidex Master

Post by thedudeman » 13 Aug 2010 21:19

ive basically decided to turn my g-units into quantums in a way
what i did is i cut off the first 3 eyelets, and what im going to do now, is cut out the toe and about a quarter to half of the tongue and switch that twith ultrasuede light, a mod ive seen done to the clipper zone to improve grip, this will create the same amount of surface area as my quantums for the toe and keep out toe walls on the units with i personally hate because it seems to be a magnet for the bag always getting wedged in there

ill basically be doing what he did above but with a different material
im connor payne