Making bags: instructions/tutorials

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 20 Oct 2008 19:11

I tie a knot that constricts the pentagon and hexagon together, sew around the entire flower, and knot at the place I started. It hasn't failed me yet.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Cnick946
Shredaholic

Post by Cnick946 » 03 Dec 2008 16:56

Does felt work, as I'm going to try to make a footbag, my first, I'm curious. I have some lying around.
Corey N.

What's worth the prize is always worth the fight~ Nickelback

sHap
Hack Fiend

Post by sHap » 15 Jan 2009 19:23

Is there a video about how to make a footbag?

fool
Shredalicious

Post by fool » 15 Jan 2009 19:28

There is one at www.freedomfootbags.com in their blog.

HippieTom
Shredaholic

Post by HippieTom » 16 Jan 2009 10:47

there was a thread made a while back about that question http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
i know the search function is a little crappy but...haha :wink:
Tom Stouffer

CL: fairy, pixie, consistency, swirls, whirls, and bops(consistency)

spenny
Circle Kicker

Post by spenny » 26 Jan 2009 16:04

I just made two 14 paneled bags. But all of the tie-offs failed. I'm going to use fabric glue on the knots on the one i'm working on.
Spencer Greff

Araneola
Circle Kicker

Post by Araneola » 28 Mar 2009 17:33

Hello, guys..
very much new here and to the "bag making".. I ve learned plenty just reading other people' questions.. but I still have some on my own

I am particularly concern with filling, cause I see very little info on it.

So.. questions
#1) what is the "perfect" weight for an average size 32- paneled footbag?
2) I've seen somewhere that some people add pieces of materials inside their footbag in addition to the main filling, what does it do and does it make sense to do it.. ?
3) How much of the filler should be added ? ( How "full" should be the bag.. I understand that it's not supposed to be completely round but I am also having a very hard time finding that perfect measure
4) Comparatively speaking it is considered that the best combo is plastic pellets + metal ( usually steal ) shots .. What would be the best ration ??

I would really appreciate your reply. :roll:

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 28 Mar 2009 17:41

1) Everyone likes their bags with different weight :) i would say between 55-65 is becoming pretty standard, and even heavier bags around 70 are nice.
2) Pieces of material as filler??? I use metal and plastic pellets and sometimes seed beads... I wouldn't recommend putting pieces of "material other than the filler.
3) How much filler is also a matter of preference... Some people like floppier bags which means less fill... the more fill, the rollier the bag will be, and this effects sets and delays. I would say between 1/2 and 3/4 full is good!
4) Use metal until you get the bag to about the weight you want, then use other filler to get it up to that 1/2 to 3/4 full mark!!!

good luck stitching!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 29 Mar 2009 14:08

Steel shot sucks because it rusts.

Planetfootbag steel shot, however, is just small bits and pieces of metal that don't rust at all. If you can find a local supplier of this type of shot, go for it.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

rufong
Circle Kicker

Post by rufong » 27 May 2009 18:06

Wasabi wrote: From there, you just knot efficiently (surgeon's & fisherman's knot is pretty common, I think), cut, and depending on what type of thread you use, burn a bulb into it.

Hope this helps. If your mom is using a unique sewing technique, keep us informed so we can help her. :)
ty for that /\ wasabi

http://killroys.com/knots/surgeon.htm
http://killroys.com/knots/clinch.htm
life is an adventure in freedom - galeano

Cubaza
Circle Kicker

Post by Cubaza » 29 Jul 2009 14:41

Hi!

I'm looking for website in which i can design my own placement of colours on footbag. It's was site where was 32 panels footbag and you were colored it by a pallete of colours:)

It was on this forum but i can't find it.

Thanks a lot for help :)
Mariusz Kaczmarczyk

Toasty
Shredaholic

Post by Toasty » 30 Jul 2009 04:44

Cubaza wrote:Hi!

I'm looking for website in which i can design my own placement of colours on footbag. It's was site where was 32 panels footbag and you were colored it by a pallete of colours:)

It was on this forum but i can't find it.

Thanks a lot for help :)
I think this is what you're looking for: http://holly.angelblade.com/pegleggydesigns/foot.html. I <3 bookmarks.
Brandin Sharp Image

Cubaza
Circle Kicker

Post by Cubaza » 30 Jul 2009 06:26

Toasty wrote: I think this is what you're looking for: http://holly.angelblade.com/pegleggydesigns/foot.html. I <3 bookmarks.
YES!!! That is this which i was looking for :) Thanks a lot :) Now i will bookmark it :D :D
Once more thanks a lot :)
Mariusz Kaczmarczyk

Toasty
Shredaholic

Post by Toasty » 30 Jul 2009 06:34

Cubaza wrote:
Toasty wrote: I think this is what you're looking for: http://holly.angelblade.com/pegleggydesigns/foot.html. I <3 bookmarks.
YES!!! That is this which i was looking for :) Thanks a lot :) Now i will bookmark it :D :D
Once more thanks a lot :)
Glad I could help once again. :wink:
Brandin Sharp Image

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 01 Aug 2009 09:42

a quick note!

the best needles I've ever used for footbag stitching are John James Needles #10 Glover's Needles.

just thought I'd mention it. Glover's needles are WAY better than round-tipped needles (because of their triangle tips, which cut through the fabric instead of pushing through it), and these tiny beauties are the best glover's needles I've used!

you might want to go for a slightly larger size (the smaller the #, the larger the gauge), because the small ones are a little delicate, and I broke a few of them mid-bag before I learned how to use them right. However, their smallness also makes them super fast.

give 'em a try!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

ilkka m.
Hack Fiend

Post by ilkka m. » 01 Aug 2009 23:45

Here's a nice tutorial...from 1983: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yo ... otbag.aspx

-ilkka m.
Ilkka Malin
Suomesta

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 09 Sep 2009 05:54

What type of thread is optimal???

I though i remember something about people using meduim polyester thread but other than that i don't know anything...

Thanks
Cory Allen
My Footblog

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 09 Sep 2009 05:59

Swizzle wrote:What type of thread is optimal???

I though i remember something about people using meduim polyester thread but other than that i don't know anything...

Thanks
floss

Toasty
Shredaholic

Post by Toasty » 09 Sep 2009 06:00

Swizzle wrote:What type of thread is optimal???

Thanks
I personally use floss for 2 reasons. 1: It really pisses me off when I have to tie knots. But with floss you can just take a lighter and burn little "knobs" instead. 2: It's stronger than thread.
Brandin Sharp Image

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 09 Sep 2009 18:58

hmm, floss... well, i guess ill get started then, & i'll try floss too, and does anyone know whats the difference fabric between Facil, amaretta, and ultrasuede light, and where to purchase any of these fabric; i have heard of feildsfabric for ultrasuede light; but facil and amaretta seem to not exist..

im guessing the fabrics we use are uncommon at most local fabric stores too... =/.. is that true?

I used the templates off of footbag.orgs site and downsized them anywhere from 60% of normal to 100% in increments of 5 for the 32 panel, so im going to experiment with some bed sheets that i don't need. and then hopefully buy some fabric

thanks

`Cory
Cory Allen
My Footblog