mc

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Muffinman
the gimp

Re: mcnyc

Post by Muffinman » 24 Jul 2019 05:43

Great to see you back! Enjoying all the video. USO is gonna be insane. Good timing on the comeback!

EDIT:
Top post painting:
Last edited by Muffinman on 26 Jul 2019 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Welcome Back!

Post by C-Fan » 24 Jul 2019 07:24

Welcome back, both to footbag and to modified!

If I may make a request, it's that you post videos in your blog occasionally. It's 2019, so its a lot easier now than it was even 10 years ago. I wish more people would post videos, since its such an easy and entertaining way to show people exactly what you're hitting or working on.

mc
Modifiend

Re: mcnyc

Post by mc » 24 Jul 2019 19:04

Hey Folks!

Short session earlier today. Only about 15 minutes - little bit worn from playing every day for the first time in 10 years ;)

I have a poll - If you make a mistake in the middle of a trick, is it better to let the bag drop because it didn't do what you intended (thereby not reinforcing bad habits), or is it better to make some attempt to save the bag, and keep going?

An example of a mistake in the middle of the trick is on the attempt at a flipside dragon delay on the second video in the following link. Swipe or click to the right if you want to see what I'm talking about->

[instagram]https://www.instagram.com/p/B0UUo5FFsN_ ... _copy_link[/instagram]

I missed the dragon, but was able to save it in a slow, sideways rake, follow up with a clean trick, and carry on the string until it was 3-4 times longer than it was when I made the mistake.

I'll ask again. If you make a mistake in the middle of a trick, is it better to let the bag drop because it didn't do what you intended (thereby not reinforcing bad habits), or is it better to make some attempt to save the bag, and keep going?

I vote the latter. And I think the worst bad habit you can reinforce is dropping.

-----

So I've decided to go to USO. Two of the dearest friends I've ever had have secured me crash space. I should not have bought that pack of cigarettes earlier. I'm going to have to work on tapering off.

I'm enjoying playing in super short shorts. The blue Adidas ones with the pineapples are the best.

Excelsior.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

boyle
Post Master General

Re: mc

Post by boyle » 24 Jul 2019 23:28

I think it depends on the situation (like if it's in a comp, routine or just playing alone) - I think in general it is better to keep the run going though. Glad to see you back on here!

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 25 Jul 2019 05:00

So true, Boyle!

Fortunately, competitions have rules that take care of which decision you make (stop string or keep going). So I had intended to ask about personal values outside of those rules. Thank you for your input my brother!
BRICK!

nyfa

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 27 Jul 2019 03:55

I think even in a routine people are split on whether a "bail" to keep the bag alive and keep the routine is alive vs drop and reset. It really depends on the situation and how you keep the flow. I think that's more or less the same in general play. If it still is a decent part of the run, it should work just fine. Some people are more obsessed with the guiltless etc, but I think especially if you are playing along or a small group, best to keep the flow.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 27 Jul 2019 14:22

I also agree that I would bail and keep the flow. I would rather bail, keep going and either drop knowing I had a decently-long run, or try to set myself up again for the trick I messed up. I wouldn't try the trick again in a competition routine, however.

I love your shorts. Nothing like short shorts for footbag.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

SlashC
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SlashC » 28 Jul 2019 14:53

I really dislike dropping. I always try and save the bag especially during performance, but also in competition. That being said I will let the bag drop in exceptional circumstances where if by saving the bag I might injure myself or kick the bag really far away or into a hazard.
Rory "Tophat" Dawson

---

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 28 Jul 2019 23:40

SlashC wrote:
28 Jul 2019 14:53
...I will let the bag drop in exceptional circumstances where if by saving the bag I might injure myself or kick the bag really far away or into a hazard.
I agree; If I sense danger, I stop immediately. No ifs, ands, or butts.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 27 Aug 2022 13:39

Good session today in McCarren Park. Jonathan Schneider, Bruce Dole, Drew Martin, David Beyers, and Tom (the new guy) showed up for a good solid kick. I got more sweat playing than I have in a long while. I stopped using nicotine a few weeks ago and my breathing is getting easier. I got a few Jani walkers, a swirling spinning butterfly, and some decent strings. It's great to see the NYFA folks and kick a bit. Now, off to a gig at The Keep in Ridgewood.
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 28 Aug 2022 13:32

oof, I am sore today! LOL footbag is a much different experience at 40 than it is at 20. Still, yesterday was a lot of fun. Jonathan Schneider came to my gig at The Keep and we had a fine time B)

I've just read through this blog. Lots of memories that were fun to read over. Also, lots of moves and combos that I forgot!! It will be interesting to see how many of them I can do again. I think it's time to reconsider climacools as I'm getting reacquainted with throwing my body around.
BRICK!

nyfa

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 30 Aug 2022 01:25

Looks like they are getting a pretty good regular turnout at those NYFA sessions. That's really cool to see.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChyUHUVL5dj/

I've read about your consecutive kicks lately too, looks like you're going great at them.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 30 Aug 2022 05:02

Thanks Daniel! Consecutives were around 3,300 last time I tried. It's been a few weeks, but I've been meaning to give it another go.
BRICK!

nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 11 Oct 2022 11:19

I have returned to using Climacools, as they are lighter and softer than Lavers. As I slowly get used to playing again, my knees need a break.

The Ivan footbag that Tom Gartland gave me for my 40th birthday has been playing well :twisted: It's great to have a new bag! Makes me want to do some stitching again.
BRICK!

nyfa

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 12 Oct 2022 02:57

I've never used the Climacools, will have to try them out some time. I used some other type of Puma for a while, they were quite good and light. Can't remember the model. Glad to see you back into things.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 13 Oct 2022 19:07

Daniel, I found them to be an easy transition. The toe delay sweet spot is larger by far than lavers (at least with my lacing style, which pulls parts back like traditional lacing) and the inside is good with a little silicone caulk. Most other people remove the inside surface stripes (but not the underlying mesh) with razor and pliers as well, but I haven't found that necessary, and I like knowing the shoes have better structural integrity.
BRICK!

nyfa

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 16 Oct 2022 01:49

yeah, I've always been hesitant to make many modifications to shoes, particularly to the interior structure. Makes me feel like the shoe will then not be as supportive.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 28 Nov 2022 15:39

I had a fine session with NYFA the other day. It was just me, Drew Martin, and Bruce Dole. We also had a guest join us for a while; he said he’d seen us before and had wanted to play. He could do toe stalls, clippers, and in-out around the worlds with good form. That’s always a treat.

Good-weather Saturdays are dwindling in supply for this year, but we lucked out for one more week. I had a few strings, and a few tricks. I got spinning ducking whirl, and both spinning blenders on first attempts. That was gratifying.

I fear my climacool 1s have worn too far. I over-pronate when I walk, and the soles compress on the outside, which leads to risk of ankle rolling. I was standing at the beginning of the session, and I rolled my left ankle a bit, which kept me cautious for the rest of the time. The padding and the light weight of these shoes make them very attractive, but the stability risk is real.

Still, it was great to play with the guys. I hear we may have some international guests soon!
BRICK!

nyfa