Jay's Blog.

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
jay7
Flower Child

Re: Jay's Blog.

Post by jay7 » 24 Sep 2014 18:55

Got to play with Evan Gatesman today. T'was a swell time. I also got to take him to the sauna, and that was another cool accomplishment; cramming in Jorden Moir and Evan Gatesman into the same sweaty box.

I didn't play like shit, but I didn't play well. The shred atmosphere was pretty chill, and I wasn't bothered by the fact that I was playing with the world champion of face shredding. That was really nice.

I have a lot of thoughts floating in my head, but the energy to throw them all in here isn't there at the moment. But I thought I should jot this down, because while this session was remarkable, I don't want to forget it happened in some years ahead.

The only highlight for me, was remembering that gyro double switch was really hard, and then hitting it first try... And then a few tries later on flip as well. Evan suggested I should do gyro double switch-smoke rpt. I think I'll do it :)
Jay Boychuk

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 28 Sep 2014 15:47

So, first off, Ken will be happy. My work / I settled on me learning Spanish. I've never been to Spain, and I am sure there are lovely parts / it is lovely, but since I've only been to Italy I feel slight sadness....I had one of the best months of my life there, and it seems a pity to not invest more time into Italy.. But, it is just a no brainer to choose spanish, when you realize how little Italian is spoken outside of Italy, versus Spanish. So yeah, Spanish, here I come? I have decided to try and learn it the complete opposite as I did German(When I was 14). I will first try and see if I can understand the mechanics of the language (such as how to pronounce things, and how to hear things properly) instead of just machining the written word the entire time. I also think I'm going to try, at first, to translate as little as possible. Picking a list of the first few hundred common words in spanish, using google images, and trying to get a mental image first... I hope this enables me to start, almost ''thinking'' in spanish, instead of translating. The worst in German for me, is when I learn a new abstract word which is hard to connect to something, for example, one of the 25 ways to say ''Done'', but fortunately with spanish being brand new to me, I hope connecting simple things like ''Car, dog, mother'' with google images should be easy until I get more advanced.

A splendid day outside allowed me to go play footbag by the water. I had a nice session, not focusing on anything hardcore, just drilling the normal stuff I'm focusing on at the moment. Oddly enough, my 'side' for whirl changed today. That never happens. Blurry whirl stepping whirl rpt was just *on* for my flipside, and medium for strong side. I also practiced a lot of furious, and got many basic drills with jani/sunil. Everything just felt very lovely to hit. I was really glad I was a footbagger today. It, actually, for the first time in a while, made me want to make a footbag video... An artistic one at that. Just something to capture the feeling of freedom which I can have. Maybe I'll bother if the thought keeps invading my vacant thoughts like it did today.

I decided that I can't stand for long enough without my back hurting. So, I built myself a mini table, to go on top of my desk at work.

The mini stand at the back of the table is for the monitor to be raised. I measured my desk, my elbows, and neck, and ideally have measured it out to be ergonomic as possible. I'm curious as to how much it will help life to stand for an hour, sit for an hour, rpt, at work. I honestly only stand when walking to and from a chair/bed, and while (sp) belaying while Rock Climbing, and playing footbag... And I notice on the rare occasion that I stand (at a social gathering, mostly) my back hurts in a similar way to footbag, even if I don't play footbag... So I wonder if proper posture/etc will change anything for me with life, as well as footbag. I do think, intuitively, that being able to stand is probably a good thing to be able to do as a human being..

This lifestyle of not traveling 100% of the time is really interesting for my mind. I have SO much time for activities. I'm doing a LOT more German practice, fishing, picnic-ing, ted-talking, pondering, talking with family, building shit, etc. Life is just so fucking simple when you have a 9-5 job. Scaringly easy. I've been looking into, and, designing lots of things. The least of which is my own house, which, I am tempted to build and buy land for. I've looked into every law that they publish, and I'm decently sure I've found a way to, within legal limits, pay as little taxes as possible and build my own place with the least permits possible... And like, imagine how fucking awesome it would be to live in the house you erected from the face of the earth with your own god damn hands? I made it a point to not build that table with power tools, and it took forever but was neat. I can also tell I made it with my hands, as, nothing is perfect. Next time, I'll definitely use a god damn table saw :P But I can say sauna-ing in that damn sauna still makes me feel like I conquered something, every single time. I think I'd actually be a happier human if I lived in the equivalent.

Because my job may enable me to live anywhere in the world, upon proving to them I am a successful employee, I am hesitant to do something like buy land and build a house... But then I'll just go do other interesting things instead. So, in the meantime, I'll save money, learn a language and continue Footbagging and climbing rocks. I've already noticed a huge improvement in my level of climbing, and it is nice catching up to people who have done it for a year+ after 2 months, and no longer feeling noobish. I'm still a youngin', but not being embarrassing is nice.

I guess I can't explain it in a way that satisfies myself... But, I still want to get this feeling down ''on paper''. I've just noticed that, in the last few weeks, I'm really noticing so many things around me in ways I haven't before. Hell, I downloaded a kirby rom and played a few nights before bed, and like, god damn. Those Japanese programmers sure knew how to make 2 to 3 pixels of a kirby-eye have so much expression. He sucks up a bucket of air and just like, so much shit happens. I feel like this new job, and having so much time on my hands, has just like, put my brain into baby mode. I am meeting a man about a house on Thursday, which is 125 years old... Which in Canada, is considered Historic. It has a servant staircase, rivers out back, and enough property to not have neighbors. I hope I can get it for the winter. The heating bill will be a challenge, but I think I might take it from a thermo perspective and just try to engineer some love into it, and make it cozy. Everything is just such a fun challenge right now. God this job rocks. Drinking between 5-10 cups of green tea a day is also awesome. I totally stole that from Rene, last July when I visited him in Zürich. Thanks Rene.

Ciao
Jay Boychuk

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 28 Sep 2014 22:48

I feel like Rene is a good guy to steal life advice from. He seem like an old soul.

There is a really good app for getting started learning languages called Duolingo. You should check that out.

I hope you make a new video.

Much love,
A

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Sep 2014 01:16

Look forward to a chat in Spanish in the future. Considering you already have the building blocks for learning languages pretty down pat, it should not be too difficult for you. Suerte!

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 29 Sep 2014 05:24

I also want to plan/build my own house :D
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 02 Oct 2014 14:50

Came home from work, decided to shred. Hoorah.

Pixie ss whirl-stepping ss mirage*rpt-pixie whirl-fog*rpt-run
double spinning clipper-big apple bs.
Double spinning clipper-gyro flux bs.
Double blender-vortex*rpt
Vortex-Double blender*rpt
dimwalk-furious illusion*rpt-dimwalk-fury*rpt felt easy/solid/expected.
flux-blurry whirl*rpt second try.
Janiwalker-ss doubledown 10 contacts.
And also, real boy footbag runs. I started the session with like, lots of bail filled, really fun, somewhat Peter Irish style runs. It felt so fun.
Jay Boychuk

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 02 Oct 2014 23:10

:O

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 03 Oct 2014 07:58

those double spinning combos are sick. mega props keep shredding hard!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Allan

Post by Allan » 27 Jan 2015 11:47

What Paul said...

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 27 Jan 2015 18:03

Sweet! Makes me realize how much I missed having Jay videos in the Christmas calendar.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 27 Jan 2015 18:14

what's up with Jay disappearing from the surface
Mathieu Gauthier

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 19 May 2015 06:12

seconded. would love to speak of hack and stuff with you soon dr. jay, if you still read this.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 19 May 2015 06:24

I miss you Jaychuk like the broken nunchuk missed it's partner.

Lycanthrope
BSOS Beast

Post by Lycanthrope » 19 May 2015 08:44

I'm glad you reached the level of shred that you aspired to get to and created so many new tricks from your noggin. Sorry we named you Boychuk Norris. ;)
Evan 'OP' Gatesman

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 09 Sep 2015 21:25

Jay Boychuk

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 09 Sep 2015 23:22

YEEEEEEEEEEES!

Allan

Post by Allan » 10 Sep 2015 08:03

Oh yeah! Huge combos in there man. Props!! Great to see you again :)

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 10 Sep 2015 14:23

that was some spicy bratwurst