MatS footblog!

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
MatS21
BSOS Beast

MatS footblog!

Post by MatS21 » 09 Nov 2006 09:53

A long time ago in high school I started playing hackey sack but not really got into it, except that with 4 or 5 friends we we're going outside to kick every day, I was the best of the bunch of guys with who I was playing because I was able to do 100 without difficulty and flying clipper kick plus flying butterfly kick. Like 8 months ago I started playing with few friends at college and find out lot more about was I was still calling ''Hackey Sack''. They learned me ATW, pendulum, mirage ( wasn't able for a long time ) and clipper but never been able to do one until I really got into freestyle, before I was only a toe player, and we we're only circle kicking. There has been a few step that pushed me to get into freestyle, when we we're playing a guy I had never seen come and start playing with us, he didn't do much, but his 2 eclipse and 2 flying clipper stall mixed up together we're insane so when I saw in Wal-Mart two 8 panels bags with a dvd ''Shred like a pro DVD, Learn over 60 tricks ''. The DVD shows me what really was footbag and I learned how to do the mirage and got other few tricks in it, but nothing really convincing. One day I was at a friends house and a guy arrived, this guy has been Canadian champion of yo-yo one year and four year in Quebec, he shows me lots of tricks about yo-yo and we started talking of footbag because he had stop yo-yo and now was in footbag a little, not as much as in yo-yo but he liked it. He talked to me about the web site www.footbag.org and I visit it. But before i can start practicing for real I broked my ankle and haven't been able to play for two months. But was motivated more than never cause I couldn't do anything so the first thing I done when my ankle was good again is contacting Kolo, who, I find out by the club section on footbag.org, was in charge of the club of montreal. I played a few times with them and for the second session I had a new bag ( a footfighter 32 panels, I instantly fall in love with them ) and a new pair of shoes ( those old basketball climacool just completely sucks for footbag, but they permitted me to got good stall ). I loved those lavers and in 2 months since I really got into freestyle, I think I've made lots of improvements.

What I've hit so far :

Clipper
Butterfly
ATW
DATW
legover
pickup
far legover
far pickup
ss pickup
ss legover
clipper mirage
mirage
pdx mirage
illusion
infinity
pixie pick-up
pixie legover
pixie clipper
pixie set is getting okay
pixie muted clipper
DLO
crossbody rake
symposium mirage
hopover

It's a huge improvement thinking that 2 months ago all I can hit was :

ATW
DATW
clipper
butterfly
mirage
pixie ( not as a set, can't combine with anything )
hopover
SS pick-up
legover
pick-up

and none we're consistent except my legover, pixie and ATW

I'm playing tiltless only because my 3 ADDs move aren't clean enough to be combined with each other. So my average run is like 6 tiltless and a good one is something like 10-15 tiltless. I'm working on getting them longer.

Feel free to comment or to challenge me there in my challenge section :

http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=14901
Last edited by MatS21 on 24 Apr 2007 11:55, edited 4 times in total.

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 07 Dec 2006 15:49

I finally decided to update this because I managed to hit lot of new stuffs since then, here's what I've hit during that month

Dimwalk
PLO BSOS
DLO now BS working on BSOS
Pixie Pick-up
Parkwalk
Double Pixie
Fairy SS Pickup
Fairy SS Clipper
Pixie SS legover
Smear working on BSOS
Ducking Clipper BS

Pixie set are duckable sometimes from strong side and flip side should be soon.

I haven't played much this last month because I have worked during night shift for a week and got injured, I won't play for the next week either but I hope I'll have more time during christmas.

The good side of this is I'll be able to heal during that week so I'll play better after that.

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 10 Jan 2007 12:35

Hi everyone, been a while again I didn't post, I think I'll start updating my blog more often from now. Anyway, in the last month I improved many things, my pixie is getting real good (still have work to do on flip ), clipper are now real good bs and I can do fear one side. My string length is getting longer and I've hit few 20 tiltless runs. Magellan are almost dialed strong side. Next stuff I wan't to improve is my butterflies and osis, now that my clipper is good enough I think I should be able to hit them consistently.

I've started doing guiltless combo ( non-BOP ) and I'm trying to put more midstring.

The main reason why I was posting here is because I decided to do a video soon to show my progress and have comments on how to improve. So check out my blog soon to see my vid, I wan't your thoughts about my game!

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 12 Jan 2007 22:12

Today I had a short session with the montreal crew and Julien from quebec. Kolo, Nic Laroche, Mathieu G, Koa we're all present and it was fun. I hit a couples nice stuff,

few magellans flipside and many strong as usual,
21 clipper flipside
Butterfly - Whirl
Butterfly - Osis
few 15 tiltless runs with 4 or 5 3adds in some
Improved my butterfly which are getting better
Bubba bsos again
Pdx Mirage bsos
and almost both bsos in same string

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 12 Jan 2007 22:59

After reading your first post, and looking at these. You have really improved! Congratulations! Remember not to worry so much about what tricks you hit, but to have lots of fun :)

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 13 Jan 2007 05:29

Thanks! But I have lots of fun! And even more recently because I have more time to shred with other shredders! The reason why there is so many tricks and stuffs here is mainly because I wan't it to be like a record of my progress, but from now as I said, I will post more often here so you can see how much fun I have :)

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 15 Jan 2007 20:24

Today I had a solo session at first, before seeing a mail from Mathieu telling me he was doing a session tonight. So I joined him for a second session. Hit few nice stuffs

PLO * 4 : And for the first time they felt really smooth
infinities * 4
legover * at least 30 but I didn't really count
Atomic legover
tried a little stepping, didnt linked anything with it but I had few nice sets strong side and flipside was reallyyy close

It was a nice session, but next time, I hope I won't be as tired.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 15 Jan 2007 21:40

Hey Mat,

props on your accomplishments.

I just wanted to recommend taking the time to stretch (if you aren't already :wink: ). It will help out a lot with endurance.

TJ
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 16 Jan 2007 20:25

I always stretch a little before footbag, but don't know many stretches good for footbag. Any suggestions?

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 23 Jan 2007 17:32

Had a session yesterday with Mathieu, it was a bad session except that I hit Magellan bsos for the first time. I tried to bsos it twice in the same string but I dropped at my second flipside, but 3 in the same string is good :) I've worked a little on illusion, but in my next solo session I'm going to drill them a lot I think.

Was a funny *day too because in my gim class we we're presenting each others by turn. The last person talking presents himself : ''Hi I'm Fred, my favorite sports is hacky sack and my dream is to be the world champion of Hacky Sack.''. I'm like '' WHAT ???? '', so we talked together and we're supposed to have a shred at next gym class.

Edit :
*had previously forgot the word day
Last edited by MatS21 on 24 Jan 2007 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 23 Jan 2007 18:30

Congrats on Magellan BSOS! Definitely nail it that 4th time next session. 8) You really have improved a lot from your starting post. Keep up the good work man! And check out some Crystal Method if you want some good shred music. :wink: Their album "Legion of Boom" has super sweet shred beats.
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 25 Jan 2007 17:40

An awesome session today, the best in a long time! I had many 15+ contacts strings and hit few new stuffs. I completed new challenges :

Magellan > pixie> rpt
+ I hit swirl ( almost got it flip too! and i want to hit it before trying it again on strong )

Highlights :

near dlo BS ! (flip felt really strange but I was surprised how easy felt my strong side, even hit it midstring )
stepping legover BS ( had already hit first side at my last session )
hit few good stuffs on first try : atomic legover, fear
an easy string I found nice : far legover > pixie muted clipper > far legover

I improved a few stuffs too, magellan feel better on flip now, plus clipper > clipper is going good, same with infinity, a little illusion but I've forgot to work on them . 8O

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 29 Jan 2007 18:37

Great session again today, I hit few new stuffs!

first eggbeater !!
stepping ss legover

but both one side

nice strings :

stepping legover > SS Clipper > stepping opp clipper (drop, not make like a drifter )
magellan bsos for the third time
near dlo mid string strong side, almost bsos

Many 15 contacts strings again and I was really happy because I put more diversity in them, more illusions, bubba, few pixie sets, nice for me !

It was nice playing with more people today, we we're 4 players. I had never met James before, he's really good, he hit impressive stuffs like barfly>barfly, atomic ducking seems so easy with nice stepping too.

Nic Laroche was really good again, I noticed his really good grifters and drifters! Plus he have hit sick combos as usual.

Mathieu g hit few nice stuff, a nice pdx drifter and a few nice combos with fairy midstring. He hit fairy ducking strong side just after saying he can't duck fairy :P .
Last edited by MatS21 on 30 Jan 2007 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 30 Jan 2007 18:32

Totally SICK session tonight, I was playing really bad at the beginning and had difficulty hitting 10 tiltless, I finally decided to try new stuffs and it just turned out totally great. I hit 8 new tricks !!!!!!!

legbeater BS
atomsmasher strong atomic, flip mirage, footed flip atomic
spinning legover strong
ducking legover BS
blur BS
fairy SS symp mirage ( is there any name for that? ) strong
backside smear BS
pdx dlo strong

and I footed ripwalk BS!

As I said, an awesome session 8O

Edit : And I even forgot a ninth one! Pixie SS illusion only on strong! Is there a name for that too?
Last edited by MatS21 on 30 Jan 2007 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 30 Jan 2007 18:34

Sweet man! Keep up the awesome work! :P
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 06 Feb 2007 11:58

Had a nice session yesterday, I played badly but I'm happy anyway because I played with Ianek for a rare time and I met Yassine for the first time!!! An AWESOME player doubled with a nice guy, it was fun. He pointed out many of my flaws that I will work on during the next sessions. He showed me the right way to do atomic too. I think with this new technique with a bit of practice I should be able to set them as high as I wan't. Ianek helped me a bunch too. Really happy of all the information I learned there!!

But anyone can tell me wtf I do here? Time to shred!! good bye all!

hakkpakk
Shredaholic

Post by hakkpakk » 06 Feb 2007 12:40

Damn dude, you are getting good real fast

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 06 Feb 2007 14:42

Thanks dan, and thanks to everyone whois posting here,

today I had a session, mostly drilled easy stuffs trying to concentrate on playing more relaxed and setting higher ( two of the biggest flaws Yassine and Ianek pointed out to me ). I took very long getting warm enough to play okay, I felt like every muscles in my body was hurting me when I started playing. I finished the session with a couple attempts at a new tricks, that I hit inside 5 tries BS. Pixie muted x-body rake. Sweet move, I'll try to incorporate that in runs soon.

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 08 Feb 2007 18:36

Had a session yesterday and a short one today, few nice things :

PLO * 8 back to back
smear magellan smudge midstring
pdx illusion and bubba bsos in same string ( 20 + contacts string )
few 20 contacts runs
PLO > Smear ( flip pixie for smear )
hit Atomsmasher flipside

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 08 Feb 2007 19:18

Wow.

Your bothsidedness is noice.

I hate you... (just kidding)... you're my new rival.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*