Dr. Bear, The US champion!

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Dr. Bear, The US champion!

Post by brianbear » 14 Apr 2009 10:08

These aren't really tricks, just little things that add up :)

I have adopted the cool way tom mosher cuts his panels out:
with two templates pressing a few layers of fabric together now that i found small and strong enough magnets :)
which brings down my time by a solid 10 minutes
i used to trace 32 panels on the fabric and then cut, which was really quite time consuming.

Also, using patterns that I am VERY comfortable with: usually soccer ball and atomic. Not having to think about where each panel goes to make the pattern can take off another 10 minutes or so for me (hopefully I will become very comfortable with other patterns as well.)

As far as the actual stitching goes, simply concentrating on keeping the speed up cuts about another ten minutes off. I used to look at the shape each time I finished a flower and pull the fabric to make sure the knot was good and everything looked even. My loose stitch at the end and filling the bag is also getting much faster, and no more filler experimentation either so i don't really have to fill and feel the bag much before I tie it off because I know what works in my bags finally.

I also used to flip the fabric back and forth so that I was only poking the needle away from me, now I just hold the hex and pent together and go back and forth without flipping them.

The one I made in 1.5 hours is the blue and orange one here:
which really just looks dandy IMO.
Last edited by brianbear on 04 Jul 2014 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Re: BrianBear's epic quest

Post by brianbear » 04 Jul 2014 09:46

first write-up ever ( first post in 5 years!?), but this was a special tournament.

Pre-Tournament: Derek stayed with me at my house-sitting/kitty caring gig for about 2 weeks.
We played every day and routine practice the final week really got us ready to compete.
The plan was to carpool with Dustin and Nathan Pipenberg, but Dustin ended up flying there and Nathan couldn't get out of work.
All good though, Derek and I were ready!

Thursday (pre-tourney still): We packed up the car and headed over to steve's for the usual Thursday shred.
Derek decided to rest a day, and steve alex and I had just a mini session. I wanted to move around and get my legs loose before the drive, and this was perfect. We then left for our first half of the drive. Stopped at a random rest stop and got our sleeping bags set up to sleep. Not a great night of sleep... around 1230-100, a skunk paid us a visit. It was pretty funny actually. I woke up to see Derek facing down a skunk: Derek still laying on his stomach, peeking out of his sleeping bag and ready to pull it over his head in case of an attack. He was like a statue. The skunk, also statue-esque, had its tail up and was ready to fire, about 5 feet away from Derek. No stinky spray attacks, but sleeping the rest of the night was kinda sketchy.

Friday: (pre-tourney) Woke up early and continued to drive around 7:00am. Took a really nice break stop as we were pretty tired from the night before. I had nice spot set-up on some soft squishy grass. The sun was hot and there were nice little sprinkly rain showers throughout my almost 2-hour nap. We took off from there around 12 and had 4 hours to go til portland. Perfect!

LET THE FUN BEGIN!

We arrive at Nick's place and are greeted by some wonderful people and a beautiful bong ;)
I had met everyone before except one. And I would actually meet another footbagger for the first time later in the weekend.
It was my first time meeting Cass and I was impressed even before footbagging. I always appreciate it when people travel far for footbag tournaments. And, she's the world champion!

After hellos and bowls we scrambled around to get ready for footbag and headed over to a school park to play.
I kicked with a few people here, and was most impressed with good ol gordon. Over the weekend, I would find that he plays a lot like dave, or i should say, dave plays a lot like him. The similarity in body movements and flow can be easily seen now that I have played with both quite a few times in person.
It was a good session, though I was not playing too well. I think the drive had taken a toll on my legs. Good to get loosened up at least!

Off to the registartion party at Kenny Shultz's next. Fun times here, Matt Kemmer showed up and I said hello to him for the first time in about 4 years. Alex and Steve arrive, the last two to get there but now the crew is complete! Lots of good hanging out, eating snacks and an awesome berry desert. Also, saw the live TV segments Chris, Cass, and Nick did. That kind of publicity is great, good job.

Left the place kind of late, and returned to steve and alex's hotel along with Dustin and Derek. Dustin crammed on a small sofa, me and derek on the floor and alex on the bed in one room and steve in the other.

Saturday: Woke up around 9:30-10:00 and I didn't feel well. I had a pretty bad stomach ache and was quite worried for competition. Oh well, I just drink a bunch of water, stretch and smoke a bit which helps my tummy a little. We head out, stopping by whole foods to load up on bananas and other snacks. Arrive at the event site and it is beautiful! Not many people are there, actually we are some of the first freestylers. So we went on a little smoking journey. I was happy to have as much extra time as possible to feel better. Warm up and waiting for the last couple of routine competitiors. I am seeded first, because gordo and nick aren't competing, so I feel some pressure to do well in my routine even though we all advance. Stomach still feels pretty bad, but everything gets focused when that routine music starts. I was pretty happy with my routine, 2 drops, 4 or 5 missed cues. Ended up keeping my seed by a hair.

After the routine, some serious blazing had to go down. There is a beautiful spot down by the river to smoke where we would cruise all weekend. This pretty much healed my stomach, thank goodness. Usually, about half the freestylers are blazin, but this tourney seemed to have everyone partaking, which makes for a great time.

Cirlces next, with my nemesis good ol dustin. We finish next to each other in EVERY tourney, cirlce and routines, and we have had mulitple ties in circles. Also, in the circle is Derek my recent training buddy. And Cass, who's game seemed pretty solid to me at this point. That would be proven!
She started off the cirlce strongly, and gave the next person a reason to step up their game. We each answered each others runs fiercly, and played really well. I believe I gave 2 high fives to Cass, 3 to Derek, and 2 to Dustin. Always good to have people tearing it up in circles. Circle hug! Ended up keeping my top seed here again and now I was exhausted.

Two more events though. Sick one I hit motion sickness first try, and failed to complete double spinning dyno. Sick 3 I hit spinning ducking osis -> mobius -> spinning dyno first try. Failed to hit marius -> spender -> mobius, just missed the mobius catch part. Got 2nd and 3rd with these. Really like Matt K's sick three, was super varietal and cool.

After some more hanging out, Stanford crew decides to peace out to get some hot tub and food action in.
Off to whole foods again and I buy a wonderful 1/2 pound smoked chicken breast. It was amazing. I really needed the protein after this long day.
We did some hot tub and went out to dinner with Steve. Got a california salad (hah) and a strawberry smoothie yummm. Alex was hitting on the waitress which was pretty entertaining :) Back to the hotel, and we are exhausted. Steves dedication to making the tourney run smoothly is great. He is always on his computer tweaking his program and double checking results fromt he day. Props!
At this point we are exhausted, and choose to not go to the player's party for the night. Dustin and I really want to take 1 and 2 in both routines and circles so we figure it is best to be safe. As much as I like to have no regrets at footbag events, I do regret not going to party this night. But hey who knows, maybe if I would have gone I would have regretted it lol.

Sleeeep!

Sunday: Slept very well and my tummy feels all better, so I am ready to go! Blaze up right when we get there to make sure I am ready. Then I go off to listen to my routine a couple of times and just be alone somewhere in the park to gather myself. I prefer not watching routines before mine as to not get worried or scared by others' performances. Ready! First drop on simple drifter, a drop I have had a single time during routine practice go figure. This throws me off a bit, but I just know I can't drop anymore. Hit my biggest cue at spinning ducking osis -> walkover and kept going.
Hit some more cues at the end but then had another silly drop (far legover) as I was attempting to set up for the last trick. oh well, 2 drops ain't so bad. Let the judges deliberate, I know it must be close between Dustin and I. I win! YAY! I am very happy, even with the low number of people competing. Celebration bowl time before circles. This brought me to a really nice place, where I am one with the footbag. It showed in the variety round of circles. We were all busting pretty hard in variety, I felt like my runs were just sooo long and pretty darn varietal. I thought I won the variety round, but I knew Matt K. had proabably lost it. Density was a mess. Matt K. was the only one had multiple good runs. I think the rest of us didn't even have a single good run between us. Oh well, it happens. Seems like a toss up for who will win. But, I take 1st! and Chris and Matt battle it out for 2nd. I really did not expect to win circle, I am really excited. Dustin did really well for taking 4th.

Some good circles were happening after this. I started with Matt K. and Dustin. Got some good tips from Matt on seperating my footwork a bit for stepping/ some good atomic tips. He is very strong and has a good style. I also got to shred with an older freestyler I had never met, I can not remember his name for the life of me. But he had a great style and was fun to play with!

Hang out and watch some net, eat some bbq, and chill waiting for the awards ceremony. Pretty nice, I got like $140-160 (I can't remember) for winning both circle and request! Covers my gas and registration which is prettty cool :) Also Tuan Vu from the bay area repped it hard for net! SFBAYAREA for all the medals woot.

Say farewell to Steve Alex and Matt K. and continue on to Nick's place for the night.

Sunday night: Arrive at Nick's and we play some cards against humanity and some beer drinking. It was my first time playing and I did not do very well, just got like 3 cards or something. It was really fun game but my favorite part was when matt emmings looked up to someone else playing the game and said," well, you can just do me now." it was hilarious and we all had a good laugh. We then venture off to the park, for a ton of fun! They had BIG swings, seesaws, and the round circle things that go really fast and make you dizzzy. There is a playground where a few of us try to swing past a bunch of rings to reach one really far away. Probably my best acheivment this weekend, lol. I skipped like 4 rings or something.
I love feeling like a kid, so this park trip was one of the top highlights of the trip.

We return to Nick's for the night and settle down for some sleep on da flooor. A bit of a scattered sleep, but some good cuddles and muscle rest make for a good night.

Monday Morning: Beautiful weather! Cruise to the coffee shop accross the street for some banana bread and tea with Cass. Portland is just wonderful, the vibes of the people and the look of the town are right up my alley. Maybe I will live here one day for a bit. Anyways, get back to Nick's and he makes fun of me for getting plain tea at fancy coffee shop! hah, i just don't really drink coffee. Talk of the water temple began the day before, and I was very excited for it!!! Only 5 people left (Me, Nick, Derek, Cass, and Eudora), and 2 of them had never been (derek and cass) so we had to go. But before that, a walk and some yoga. Eudora is Nick's very cool lady friend, last year we went to a 4th of july party together and had a drunken blast!

I have done yoga with Nick a few times at different tourneys and it has been pretty good. But this time it was wonderful. Not sure if my mood was better or I was just getting more compfortable with the poses, but I was breathing well and feeling the stretch everywhere. After, my body felt better than it did all weekend, and my playing later would show that. I will have to go buy a yoga mat.

WATER TEMPLE! this is my fave part every year. All the top shredders shredding their little hearts out, with no worry of competition or getting tired.
Being crowned US champ, i felt i better bring my A game. Started with a one on one circle with Cass which was a blast. She has really good control, I really love the rakes and gyro toes. She also busted some symp whirls, a trick I had not seen from her all weekend. Super fun!

I just kept playing and playing at water temple, and had some awesome strings in a bigger circle. hit my marius -> spender -> mobius combo 2nd try. Derek was tearing it up with his toe style and Chris had some cool combos (fairy ducking butterfly -> jani walker) I also had some good steps and fairys going, on my way to some shuffle. Although once Nick says he is going to start filming, my game kinda poops. I fear the camera!

A little pre goodbye goodbye with Cass by the waterfall was the best. Footbag crush <3

Goodbyes to everyone, so sad. Drive the long drive, refelecting on life and footbag.

THOUGHTS AND REFLECTIONS:
I am now the US champion in cirlce and routine. What?! Yes, I am! I know I am not the best player in the US, actually I am probably just out of the 5. So now I have to really work my game to the next level to feel like I own the title. It think getting the gold will push my footbag game more than anything has before. I have been playing a crazy amount, and will continue to play at least 5 days a week. My new main goal will be to actually have solo sessions, I KNOW drilling will bring my game to the next level.

Never worry about partying too hard. I have partied too hard at previous tournaments, and have been unable to play or just feel horrrible playing the next day. But, I also had awesome times with awesome people. I know the awesome times/ awesome people are the best part of tournaments and I just need to make sure I remember this. It can be hard when you work on a routine soo hard for soo long, just to have it messed up by partying too hard the night before. But if you are a baller like Vasek, it is no problem. Party Hard, Play Hard shall be my newest tourney motto.

Keep tuned, I may actually blog it up a bit.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

boyle
Post Master General

Re: Dr. Bear, The US champion!

Post by boyle » 04 Jul 2014 14:28

Congrats on the victory, well done. What would be your top 5 USA players if everyone was available?

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 05 Jul 2014 08:47

Hard to say for sure but top 6 are likely: David Clavens, Jim Penske, Nick Landes, Gordon Bevier, Lon Smith, Evan Gatesman.

I have played with all these guys in the past 3 months so I know their current levels pretty well too.

Had a nice 4th of July, at Steve's with Alex, Eric Chang and his girlfriend. BBQed a bunch of delicious meat and was falling asleep during fireworks! Guess I might need to catch up on some sleep from USO still, eeeep!

Shred at Steve's today, might try to start filming some cool footage.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 05 Jul 2014 19:59

Congrats on your USO results. Good luck in your quest to be one of the top 6 in the US.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 08 Jul 2014 01:11

Congrats man!

Party hard, play hard forever!

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 08 Jul 2014 08:21

thanks guys!

You got me thinking Ken. I think the top 5 is much more attainable for me if I only consider routines.
I know Evan isn't great at them, Lon doesn't choreograph, and even Jim's seem to lack some choreography. Flash is retired from competition so no worries there. I would jump up your ranking in routines to top 5 probably top 3 for routines. As far as circles though, I have a long journey ahead of me. You and Pipebomb also crush in circles.

Might be going to tahoe tonight for a poker tournament weekend with my dad, have to figure that out quickly.

Also, I am heavily planning on going to east coasts this year. I have never been, and i miss NYJ's with my east coast bros.

Speaking of NYJ, I am starting to plan one this year in South Lake Tahoe at my pimpin 70's style cabin. sleeps 9 comfortably, up to 13 should be cool.

Shred at Stanford today, woot!!!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 08 Jul 2014 08:36

Well, I'll be at ecfc no matter what, so I'll see you there ;) I hour you can make it. It's gonna be awesome to shred with each other again. Last time we kicked, I was tiltless. This year at ecfc, I think we'll riff off one another really well, since we're good at similar things. Maybe have a Mobius-off :D really looking forward to it man. Huge props on your victory dude.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Jul 2014 08:50

brianbear wrote: Also, I am heavily planning on going to east coasts this year. I have never been, and i miss NYJ's with my east coast bros.
Dude, that'd be sick! Have you been to NYC before? It's a great town, and NYFA is an awesome club. It'd also be fun to play with you again too...missed you at Worlds last year, and I missed the last couple Vegas jams, so it's been a while.

As for top US players, I think you're young enough and good enough that you should shoot for top 5 across the board. I agree with you though that top players have different strengths in different events. If we're talking overall picture, taking the composite ability of competition and casual shred, I think Clavens would still top my list. But yeah, in each event I'd rank the top 5 players in different spots (Evan topping request, Clavens topping routines, maybe Landes topping Circle?).
In your case, I think you should aspire to be top 5 in routines, circle, and general shred...cause why not?

Hopefully they announce East Coasts soon, and if so hopefully see you there.

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 08 Jul 2014 13:54

I'd love a rematch at East Coasts if you came =D
Matt Kemmer

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 08 Jul 2014 14:34

Yeah you need to come to East Coasts and kick some ass because I would rather have you dethrone me as routine champ than C-Fan ;)

I like your style, hope we can hang out soon!

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 08 Jul 2014 18:56

Yeah Cass! Beating Ken is on my list of things to do in footbag ;)
glad you like my style, yours is pretty nice too.

Matt, it's on! Hope we can both up our games a decent amount before then :twisted:

You are right Ken, why not shoot for the stars.
I have only been to NYC once in my life before footbag, so it as been a while!
It would be great to hang out and shred with you again, i feel like we didn't much at USO last year.

It has been WAY too long Nick, I was pretty low level too last time we played if I remember correctly. It will be a great circle.
I guess I better brush up on my mobius!

a clip from stanford today for your enjoyment:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLlLteI_yjM[/youtube]
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Jul 2014 19:07

I've always liked that smooth style you have, kind of similar to Dylan Fry, they way that everything looks reasonably effortless. I think there's definitely plenty of chance for you to go up into that top echelon of players. It's also interesting that there is a real difference between the players within the different events.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 09 Jul 2014 08:15

Say what? Brian has a Blog, eh? Say what, again? Love seeing more shuffle in your downtime madness. Games gotten nasty since Tahoe.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 09 Jul 2014 19:45

thanks, i love dylan fry's style and trick selection.

yeah derek! blog city up in here.

got a phone today, that was cool. played just a bit, here is a string:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ypuY_36kY[/youtube]
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 10 Jul 2014 09:03

Big congrats on the USO results man. I wish I was there to see it.

If you plan a South Lake Tahoe jam I am SO there. I for sure will be here until October, and it's like the perfect location for a late summer jam.

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 13 Jul 2014 18:42

I wish you were there too, though I may not have won circles then ;)
I know I am cruising out to Tahoe during August, probably at least Lon and Derek like last time. I was thinking of doing an NYJ there too but it sounds like you willl be gone by then!

Played Thursday with Katya, and did a lot of coaching, and some strings but no drilling.

No session on Saturday, Alex is going thru some tough times so we just blazed it up and chilled at his house for a bit. It was a good rest for my legs, i just kicked a net bag around a bit.

Played today, another rare solo session. Wasn't focusing too hard on drilling, had a couple of randoms filming. Did hit a kind of cool drill i have never seen, gyro pickup -> op dyno -> rpt. ->gyro legover -> op blender -> rpt.
also worked on fairys and blurs a bit.
Played to a whole song today, like 3:30, almost all guiltless, no drops, that was exhausting.

Going to work on my routine for east coasts later this week. hopefully they figure out the details while the flights are still cheap :?

Haven't played with Dave in a very long time, like 3 weeks- month. Getting his shoes from steve on tuesday and likely will power hour wed.

Got a yoga mat right when I got back from Portland and been doing most of the yoga routine Nick has shown a few times. This past time I made a note to remember as many as i could and i think i am just missing a couple. feels great!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 19 Jul 2014 23:15

Played on Thursday with Katya, really got me thinking about what proper clipper form is.

Bailed on a session with Dave on Friday. Really wanted to play with him but had made previous plans to go to capitola/ santa cruz.

Played pretty well today, hit a bunch of "war" drills all in one string.
whirl war, drifter war, and torque war. now to hit them all in a row!
also my blur work has been paying off lately, throwing down some blurry whirls bsos every here and there. ended working on paradon -> barrage rpt. this is very hard on my flip side. shame on me!

also went for some spinning osis records at the end.
funny thing, i was going to go for gyro clipper x100 and i forgot what i was doing about 20 in so just went ahead and went for 100 spinning osis and got kinda close.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aT1G5R6fyY[/youtube]

Also managed to get 16 spinduckosis on film though my record is about 20:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rpKqDRLgRA[/youtube]
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Jul 2014 03:55

Nice form on the spinning osis. I didn't watch them all, but looked like you did the spin and clipper catch pretty much in the same spot every time.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 20 Jul 2014 08:06

Big kudos on your new records. Nice form on those. Also big props on the War drills in the same run. I still can't do a few of those very well, but they're on their way. You've inspired me to try Torque war. Never even thought about that one. You should try Swirl war and Reverse Swirl War. Those are my favorite War drills.

Stoked to hear you might be at ECFC in September. Would be dope if some westcoasters came out for that.

Keep it up man.

Oh and I request a Double Spinning Osis World Record from you.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman