Mathieu's Blog - New small video posted on page 6

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
MathieuGM
Fearless

Mathieu's Blog - New small video posted on page 6

Post by MathieuGM » 30 Aug 2010 18:37

So here we go.

Since few weeks, i use to post the updates of my sessions on the Montreal Blog. By now, i'll post them here.

So i'm Mathieu, from Montreal. I have been playing for 2 years and 3 months. i didn't train that much for 8 month, because i was doing wall climbing for 8 month (may 2009 to march 2010). Now i'm done with wall climbing, so i'm training harder at footbag.

I'm pretty much guiltless. I'm pretty consistent, but i don't have so much variety, even if it's getting better every month.
This is what i'm good at :
Stepping sets (BS).
Open set (BS)
Shut set (one side)
Atomic (both side)
Ducking moves (BS)
Spinning move (one side, but i worked a lot ont he toehr one this month and it's getting better).
Every basics downtime move (down,illusion,mirage,switch, pick up) (BS)
Torque (one side, the other one is getting better)
Mixer (BS)
Eggbeater (one side)

Here are the biggest move i can do pretty well (i don't write those i hit only once or twice... If it's written there, it's because i can hit them within 5 tries).
-Spinning far torque. (one side)
-Blurry torque. (one side)
-Stepping same torque (one side)
-open torque (both side)
-Blurry drifter (BS)
-FOG (BS)
-bedwetter (one side)
-spinning far whirl (one side, the other one is becoming more consistant)
-ducking whirl (both side)

So this is pretty much it. Everyone who know me know that i will probably go more often for long string instead of 5's. It's my style. I guess i'll use more 5's when they will be easyer and more consistent :).

If you want to read my previous post, just go in the montrael footblog, you'll find them.
Last edited by MathieuGM on 04 Dec 2011 13:46, edited 9 times in total.

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 30 Aug 2010 18:44

-=August 30 2010=-

I had a 3 hours and half solo session.

First of all i spent more or less an hour on open set again. My flip side whas feeling really good today. All those drill pay off :). I think i'll be 100% both sided on this move within a month. Sweet!

After that i spent an hour on spinning clipper, especially flip side. I'm surprise to see how easy spinning whirl is now. I think i'll be able to throw a lot of them BS in my strings soon. Cool move. I had fun to hit tons of spinning butterfly, spinning osis, spinning far mirage, spinning clipper and gyro clipper BS. Flip side is still not perfect, but much better. Once again, i think within a month i'll master pretty well this move both side!

After i did an hour of various drill and shred. Here are some highlights :
-Mixer-near mixer-rpt 2nd try.
-Mixer open near mirage-rpt 3rd try.
-Clipper far mixer-open down-rpt.
-Open drifter-mixer-rpt. The form wasn't so good on that one. I tried it like 5 time. I guess i could do better.
-I hit some blender on strong side. It's cool, i'm not so good at them, and they were feeling pretty good today. I like these days!

I ended the session trying some nuclear set. I hit matador and sumo yesterday. I tried again today. I didn't hit anything. But it's weird, i feel im so close to hit nuclear whenever i want to. It's a question of days or weeks. It's a cool move!

I will take 2 days off, because i want to be rested for funtastik. I will play a bit on thursday, to make sure i feel good before the event.

Mat

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 31 Aug 2010 01:37

..........ooooOOOOOOOOoooooo.....

Commmmeee baaackkkk toooo MMTTTLLLL fooootobbbloooooggggg

**The Ghost of Footbag Past**
Nicholas Laroche

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 07 Sep 2010 11:59

-= Funtastik summer classic 2010 Write up =-

Friday September 3rd

So here we go! Marc, Olivier and I met up at 9 AM to start the drive. We where expecting a 10 hour drive, so we were hoping to get at the hotel for 7 PM, something like that! The drive was awsome, all of us talking for the whole trip. We where lucky enough to only have one car in front of us at the border, so we only had to wait like... 5 minutes? Only one downside : Marc keep farting all the time! It was funny, because he was always trying to find a new reason to open the window haha. The drive was faster then we expected, it only took 8 hours and 45 minutes, so we get at the hotel around 6, or something like that.

As soon as we get at the hotel, we found Jay, just laying there and waiting for anyone else to come to talk to him. So as soon as i get out of the car, i went to talk with him. Funny thing : he left his some at like 4 AM, because he was expecting lots of trafic on that weekend. But there was like... not a single car on the road, so he get at the hotel at 11 AM. He just waited the whole day for other people to come! He had to drive 7 hours from hamilton, while we drove less than 9 hours from montreal haha. I think he was a bit jealous! So we checked in and went to eat a good dinner with jay.

After the dinner, Jay and i went at the pool. We talked about basically everything about footbag.... Training, drilling, warming up, combo. Jay is definitly crazy (in a good way). I remember je talked to me about few drills like : mobius-twirl-rpt. And he just say like 10 CRAZY moves or link he would like to hit during the week end. Here is an exemple : Whirling same bent drifter. WTF? haha. The was really amazing.

After that, i went in the shred room. There was only few people there. There was already a circle going on with Doug Tank and two new players, Meagan and her boyfriend. As soon as i saw Doug, i knew i had to play. We had such a good time playing together in montrael with Dante. Doug Tank is an AMAZING person. And obvisouly, he playes footbag very well... His spinning and duking move are awsome. A pretty good session.

On that night, Jay and Doug had nowhere to sleep, so they just get in hour room.

Saturday september 4th

So, Jay, Doug and I woke up at something like noon i guess! We went to eat a breakfast at Bob Evan's restaurant. Once again, Jay and I had few footbag conversation. We just keep asking each other questions like : who has your favorite style? Whos the best? Who has the best variety, bla bla bla. It's always awsome to see how people don'T agree on style, or trick selection and all that stuff. But overall, few name where coming from everyone : Lon Smith, Dave, Johnny, Juho, Anssi and guys like that. It was cool.

After the breakfast, we went to the event site. Sadly, we took the wrong direction, and we get to the event site on friday, instead of the one for saturday! Doug Tank almost had an accident, i saw that ca like... 2 or 3 foot away from my window. But anyway, doesn't matter, i'm still alive haha! So we get at the event site. There where few circle going on, mainly intermediate circle. It was really nice to see all these enw players shredding hard. Keep up the good work guys! Doug, Tom and I kicked for a while a net bag. This game is so hard! Receving a serve is like trying to hit clipper for the first time. I just cant get the bag back on the court haha. Still, i really enjoy that game. You know, we have such a big net scene in montreal. I'm getting much closer to all the net players. I think i'll play that game on day, don't know when. I'm definitly into freestyle for now...

Then, around 3, Drew Martin said on the microphone : We are going to do a circle contest later tonight, so if you want to resigster, just come to see me or Jay. But the funny part is that Jay was just beside me, and he was like : oh yah? I didn't knew i was orgazing that haha. So Jay and i went at the table. And i absolutly don't know why, but i ended up having all the sheets in my hand. So i did the seed with Jay, i setted up the whole event. Making pool, finding judges and bla bla bla. So we ended up telling all the intermediate to get at the shred room for 7h30 so we could run the event right away. We planned to be able to start the open circle at 8h30, so we can have everything done for 9h30, something like that.

I was a bit confuse, because i have never run a complete circle event. So i ws SO happy to see Steve get in the hotel. I basically jump on him and say : would you please mind to help me with judging haha. So he explained me how judging should work, and we found few judges for the intermediate circle. I like intermediate circle. It's a good way to keep the new players motivated. It's also a good competition experience. they can get use to how circle work, what is important in that competition, how you should play, and all that sutff. So, later, when they get in Open, we can run everything smoothly. We had 6 intermediate players, so we set up 2 circle. First of all, let's talk about Barreith (sorry if i don't spell you name correctly!). He is back at lavers. I feel his clipper look MUCH better in these shoes. Also, Matt Cross told me Barreith has been drilling a LOT these day. We can definitly see that. He had few long string (probably more than 20 contacts?). Mainly mirage, leg over, pick up, clipper and stuff like that. But rpetty much all his move look good, so now he has good fundation to work on! Keep the good work man! There was also Nick Polini. Such a cool guy. Such a weird style. Such a crazy trick selection. He still doesn't perfeclty master the basic, but he can do some impressive stuff and weird link. I remeber that cross body sole stall to swirl or something like that. He definitly deserve to win that intermediate circle. I feel that if he keep drilling the basic, he might become one of those you really want to see play at jam. Keep up the good work budy. Also props to all the other competitor! Hope to compete with you in an open circle in a near future!

Then we went for Open circle comp. We had 3 pool, with 4 players in each. The first pool included Jay Boychuk, Nate Pipenberg, Drew Martin and John Goode. Jay had a wel deserved seed one, Piepenber seed 2 and Drew seed 4. Jay won. Not that much surprising. `Not because the other competitor were not good. But he just work so hard all the time... I feel his game is really getting together now. His string lenght is getting really good. Jay for BAP in 2011? But the one who really impressed me the most is Drew Martin. I have seen Drew play for 2 years now, so i believed i knew his game pretty well. But damn, he improved a LOT in the previous year. I mean a lot... He his much more constient then before and he can throw few big moves and here and ehre. Only to name bedweatter midstring. I was judging that circle. We had hard time to figure out who between Nate or Drew would get the 2nd place. Then, Drew get it. Props man!

For the second pool, there was Ken, Doug, Marc and Natan. It's always so hard to give a seed to Marc Giard... I remember seeing a video of montreal spring jam in 2007 where he made the final with Crazy players like Jorden and scott i guess. But he his a bit out of shape, due to injuries. Still, when he is on this dude hit crazy stuff like double spinning clipper to spining outside stall. He has a pretty good shuffle style too. I didn'T saw much of that circle, because i had to warm up. Still, i heard the crowd explode a few time, espcially after a round of Marc and after a run of Ken. I heard Ken made few funny thing during that circle, but i guess someone else could talk more about it, because i didn't really see anything! So the result was : Ken, Marc and Doug tie 2nd and natan on 4th place. I'm glad for Marc, because i think he was really happy with the result! You know, Doug is really good...

Then there was the last circle. It was supose to be Scott, Me, Cory Allen, and Patrick. But well, Corry Allen was really busdy to have fun with a girl at the event. So he scratch. Rob Creel was kind enough to join the circle, so we had 4 players... Thx Rob. So i only had few minutes to warm up, because i judged the first circle. My warm up wasn'T going really well... I wasn't feeling on at all. So i joined the circle without so much expectation. Especially considering i was playing just before Scott! But when the circle started, i don't know why, but i was playing very well. In the variety round, i did OK. I have never been so good at variety, but i tried to use every concept. Few double dexes, few whrils, few spinning move, few mixer, open set, shut set, atomic set, ducking moves, a twist, few torques. I guess i did OK. Scott was obvisouly dominating that part. But in the density part, i feel i played really well. Probably as good as i can in a good day. I remember having a run of probably more then 20 contact including FOG, far torque, spinning far DLO, blurry whirl or something like that. The crowd exploded after that run. I was feeling pretty good. Scott did ok, but i know he can do much better. So yah, i endend up 2nd. But then, Jay came to see me and said : you know, 2 judges had you really close to scott in the density part. I ws really happy about that. Still, i'm nowhere close to soctt level, considering he killed me in the variety part. Also he can make much better in density part, while i doubt i could have made better. But the good point is that i have done really well in circle contest 2 events i a row (mtl spring jam and funtastik). I think i'm getting more confident! I'm glad about it!

After that, i had a small circle with Bob Rieffer. He is such a legend in my mind. You know, i have beenr eading his blog for so long and sendig him several PM about lots of thing. It was really awsome to meet him. Then, i played 2 square with Steve. It's awsome to play against him in pick up game, ebcause our level is pretty similar. He always bet me by like 2 or 3 points. So we always have good game. I also played with Tom Kotsakos. An other super player. He is so good! I hope we will have more game soon budy! Then i went at bed. I was tired.

Sunday September 5th
Coming later.

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 07 Sep 2010 12:12

! Mat! Great to see your blog man! Dude you gotta' write about all the crazy torque/dlo/drifter combos you hit, you're seriously the best at those 3 tricks haha I don't have time to read all that Funtastik stuff right now, I'm about to go swimming but I will come back later to check it out. Sorry I couldn't come, move-in to Kingston was super busy.

RipWalker
BSOS Beast

Post by RipWalker » 08 Sep 2010 03:47

Was good to meet you at Funtastiks! Hope to shred with you again at future tournies.
Mark Bull

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Sep 2010 06:08

Good seeing you at Funtastiks; I look forward to the rest of your write up. Thanks again for making Circle happen.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zPVejoIbAg[/youtube]

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 08 Sep 2010 12:43

Hey Mat! Awesome meeting you and shredding with you! Thanks for the words in your write up. This weekend made me so happy! I'm definitely going to school the hell out of my basics now. Hope we get to shred again sometime in the future! Keep kicking (and slacklining)!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 09 Sep 2010 08:35

-=September 8th 2010=-

I had 2 sessions that day : one at the morning and one at night.

For the one at the morning, it was a 1hour session. For this month, i plan to work on double dexes, especially double down and barage. So i spent almost the whole hour on these move. My strong was really good. I don'T know why, but my body decided i will be able to hit that move. My barage are ok. I feel they are a bit thin sometime. But it's already good i can hit them BS now... I was so much into my session that i missed the begining of my class of the afternoon haha.

For the night session, i spent more time on my flip double down. I feel my hips is less flexible on this side (even if i stretch everyday). Still, i can hit flip doubledown half the time. And the form is definitly getting MUCH better. I feel that within few weeks, i will master my flip doubledown. The session was 2 hours and half long.

-=September 9th 2010=-

Had a 2 hours session in the morning.

The drills of yesterday definitly pay off. Don't worry, my double down are still not perfect and a bit unconsistent. Still, i was higly surprise to see how good my flip double down is getting. I can't hit it on request, but i think those i hit look good. Really motivating to keep working on them! I hit double down to barage 1st try. Feel easy. I can step out of double down too. For now i only work on toe far double down. I tried few time toe near double down. It's definitly possible. Watch out Sebastien ''Huricane'', i will catch you up soon on these move haha.

Side note : I feel really on about footbag now. Before, i don't know why, but learning new move was really hard. My legs would never do the good motion. Now it's completly the oposite. Everything i try work.... And i get consistent faster then ever. I have high expectation for the nest year. I plan keep training 6 days a week, 2 hours and hlaf per day.

See you soon.

Mat

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 09 Sep 2010 16:42

Stop it! If we're going to have a similar level shred circle at KICKASS you need to stop getting better! :P

It was awesome shredding and hanging out with you last weekend at Funtastiks, dude. I understand your frustration regarding organizing circle but you did a great job!

See ya in a few weeks hopefully!
Doug Tank

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 09 Sep 2010 16:55

Dont worry Doug, my style will never look as cool as your ;). I really enoyed the time we had together at funtastik! Hope to see you at kickass!

-=September 9th 2010=- (2nd session of the day)

My class ended earlier then expected, so i had 3 hours between my class. My legs where feeling pretty good even if i had a session of 2 hours that morning. So i decided to shred again! I spent basically 1 hour and half doing spinning BS. I hit spinning to every basic move : pick up, switch, down, osis, far mirage, far illusion. All that on Both side! Same for Gyro on both side, exept i can'T do Gyro illusion. Much harder then i expected! Once again, i saw a difference after the session. My spins are much better.

So in 1 month, here are the moves i really imprved : Open set BS, spinning BS, whirl BS (still need a lot of work...) and double down/barrage (also still need plenty of work). I feel i can master about 2 moves/month. When i say master, i means i can hit them 10 times in a row, BS, from every set point on resquest. I feel good with that kind of progression, because the more move ill be able to do, the faster ill be able to learn new one. And i already matser few moves (stepping BS, drifter BS, Ducking clipper BS, bla bla bla).

Mat

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 09 Sep 2010 20:54

- Mat, you're gonna be a circle champion someday, I know it!

- You're so both-sided it's ambidextrous.

- If you actually play that much, you will win footbag... the whole thing. You'll be insane!!

Sounds like Funtastik's totally rocked, Awesome video, Can't wait to see you at Kickass!

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 10 Sep 2010 13:09

-=September 10th 2010=-

2 hours solo session.

Spent most of the session working on spinning clipper, once again espiecally flip side. As my flip is getting good, i spent most of the session trying to spin out of many different tricks. Spinning out of open down and open same clipper is pretty easy. Spinning out ouf drifter is hard lol! Spinning out of ducking clipper is easy on strong side, freaking hard on flip side. I think my clipper position after the duckin clipper isn't perfect. I'll figure ou that soon i guess.

Also done few double down both side. They were not as hot as yesterday, but still better then 2 weeks ago haha. My flip one was pretty hard for the whole session, then at the end of the session i took a brake to think again about that motion and ''air shred'' a bit. I saw the result... I hit like 5 consecutive flip double down. Then i was happy, so i stop my session. On flip side, i really can't just throw my leg on the move and hope it work.

This weekend Me, Marc, Sebastien and Olivier are going at Marc's house outisde the town. It will be awsome! We are gonna play both freestyle and net, and probably do a video out of it :). Gonna be awsome!

Mat

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 10 Sep 2010 14:46

the key for spin is to cushion the bag correctly before the spin, if you go too fast it will be hard (take your time to stall on tricks like ducking clipper or drifter)

Maybe that's not what you do wrong, but I usualy drop on that link if I don't stall enough
Mathieu Gauthier

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 13 Sep 2010 12:57

Thx for the tips Mat! I figured out that thing too. Work pretty well!

This weekend we went outside the town at Marc house, We played both net and freestyle, it was really fun. We enoyed a nice night around the fire. The net crew of montreal is really awsome. We had 2 small session of 1 hour. It was really cool. Marc can bust huge when he is on. Sebastien played a bit too. He still know how to play lol!

-=September 13th 2010=-

2 hour solo session.

Guess what, i kept drilling those barage and double down. It's really encouraging. They are getting pretty good on both side. I hit toe near double down on strong side. I feel that in one more week (maybe 2) it will be time to go for clipper far double down. It will be awsome! Spent few minutes on spinning clipper both side. I feel much more confident on flip side. But this weekend we filmed a bit, and my flip side look horrible haha. It work... but it doesn't look good at all haha. Anyway, still plenty of time to fix them!

See you soon!

Mat

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 14 Sep 2010 18:12

-= September 14th =-

2 hours solo session.

Drilling flip spinning clipper. I'm getting pretty consistent at them, but they don't look that good... My strong one look good. My flip is weird :S. At least it work, but i still have time to put on them to make the motion look beter! About spin, i hit Spinning far whirl BS within few try. This move will be a dialed one soon... Whril are not that hard, i will just need to drill them a bit and i'll be fine!

Regarding barrage and double down, i hit double down-barrrage BSOS. I think all the dexes were clean. I like double dexes now :).

Also lots of long string, 30+ contacts. I like those string!

Mat

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 16 Sep 2010 19:21

That's awesome to hear about double dexes and long strings! Can't wait to shred with you next week man.

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 16 Sep 2010 19:52

Shred together will be a blast as usual Dante :D.

-=September 16th 2010=-

2 hours and half solo sess!

Pretty good one!

I fixed a bit my flip spinning clipper. Feel much better. I must turn more my shoulder after the set. So i come faster in front of the bag! I understand myself haha.

I hit my first clipper far double down (barfly...). It was really deep and i only need like 3 tryes to hit it. I feel all the drills for toe double down start to pay off! woot :D Hopefully i'll be comfortable enough with double dexes to trow them midstring whenever i want at kickass :).

Also : Mixer - atom smasher - rpt. Kinda hard. But cool.

Mat[/u]
Last edited by MathieuGM on 17 Sep 2010 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 17 Sep 2010 14:27

-=september 17th 2010=-

2 hours solo session.

It's one of the worst session i had since worlds:(. I guess eating french fries and hot dog before i play isn'T good...

I still got few highlights :

Phoenix-far mirage-rpt 1st try ever.
Open double down within 5 tryes for the first time.
Blurriest within 5 tryes first time ever.

I'm not 100% sure all my blurriest and open double down were clean. It's still not a move i would do mid string. But i'm glad it's not that hard... Sign that all my drills are good for me :).

See you at kick ass guys!

Mat

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 17 Sep 2010 19:08

It happens to everyone, but you know what? Be happy you just had a bad session; it means the next one is far far away! I

BTW, maybe it's just me, but Mat[/u] looks like some cool hacker type of tag for you Mathieu.
Nicholas Laroche