david owen beyers

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: david owen beyers

Post by C-Fan » 04 Jun 2015 13:22

Top post painting!

Check out this weird doorway.

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 04 Jun 2015 16:53

Hahaha Yes! You are a shifty fellow Ken for posting one of my own paintings. This troll leads you to the bathroom of Silent Barn (Music venue in brooklyn). The little green dude is based off of the move Troll 2

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 08 Jun 2015 10:30

NYFA kicked on saturday at Washington Square Park, NYC. It was a bit humid out, and i think everyone's legs felt heavy because of it. Fun times though! Ben little, Drew, Bruce, Mikie, Outsider, and myself played. I thought Drew was playing good. He hit two new tricks including fairy same reverse swirl (I think) and Fairy same twirl. He was the last man standing i think. This is huge for drew considering that his back has been really bad for a long time. It was nice to see him not hurt or get hurt during the session.

My legs felt heavy so I didnt have as good as a session as i wouldve hoped. I had a couple of good strings. I also hit nuclear same butterfly. Maybe my 2nd or 3rd time hitting that but def the best it has felt.

Sunday Drew, Bruce, Mikie, and I had a casual hack session at a park in Bushwick, Brooklyn. Circle kicking was really fun. I love making saves.

Dont know if I will be kicking with the club next weekend because i may be selling some comics in brooklyn. My friend darren will also be selling his comic and hand painted skateboards. Really cool designs. Here is a detail of three of his boards:

Darren Shekailo Skateboards:

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 22 Jun 2015 13:15

I haven't blogged my last two nyfa sessions but they were both great! Two weekends ago Christof was in new york. He is from Czech Republic and definately plays like a Czech! some of the tightest double downs i have seen and great grifters. Also, a high plains drifter that he hit sticks in my head. Super quick barage for that trick from this guy.

Last Saturday NYFA played at washington sqauare park again. Tony, Bruce, Drew, Mikie, Marc, and marc's friend Eric. It was awesome to play with Tony again. He has an uptime style. Like when he hits double leg over its more like a quantum leg over.

Drew had a sweet session. He hit blurriest both sides. He hit paradon swirl both sides. He hit riptide (If thats blury butter swirl). far symple swirl both sides, buterfly swirl bothsides. Drew, feel free to correct me if i got any of this wrong. I think the butterfly swirl was a bsos

Highlights for me were cool links and the most shuffle i have ever hit midstring. i think it was 5 or 6 contacts. woop!

After shred we ate at a ramen place. Waylon actually showed up to get food with us. Havent seen that guy in a year or something. Hotstone Bip-and-bop was the dish that i got. So damn good! Later that night Drew and I went to a Lost Boy? concert at Shea Stadium. My buddy Barker was there as well. Good times and funny dance moves to tribe called quest.

THe next day we (Bruce, drew, barker, me) went to Maria hernandez park in brooklyn. Bruce and i kicked and played dual with some of the local kids. It was supposed to be a casual session but i was throwing down some guiltless strings hahahahaha. I hit paradox egg beater maybe for the first time, and 18 ducking clippers. A huge storm rolled in and we all got completely soaked. It was actually fun. As drew drove away he side swiped the car parked in front of him. hahaha

The weekends of my life have been fun!

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 24 Jun 2015 17:24

Had a nice little solo session today at the beach. I'm lovin the summer weather. Kept it simple for the most part. My flipside osis was feeling better. I hit a flip wax spin. A link i can remember is atomic clipper>blurry pickup. Footbag has been feeling good.

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 26 Jun 2015 15:04

Shot a little video today. Happy to hit a blazing set on camera. Probably the fourth time i hit blazing butterfly. I got inspired by that hard footbag sets tutorial vid that jay and anssi made a while back. Now if only i could hit furious and slicing. pshhh yeah right. The first link is weird. Its like a toe diving flying toe spinning clipper. Happy about the last link even though it is a little slop. Ducking legover>Phoenix (the height of the duck set up the momentum for the pixie duck is something i noticed). Im dreaming of the 90's in Portland right now. Hope the USA has a good tournament!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 26 Jun 2015 22:31

That was sick, Dave. The first link screamed "Hey there, I'm Dave". I enjoyed that one a lot. I can't believe you can hit all that hard stuff in those heavy Lavers. That Blazing Butter looked hot. Oh and I saw that Blender from Clipper. I remember at Bostonish Jam, you said you could only do it from Toe. Nice job on that.

You ought to check out those new Levi's shoes that everyone is buying. They're lighter than Lavers, apparently. You're totally used to the heaviness of those new version Lavers now, think of how crazy you're going to improve in a shoe that's lighter than Lavers. Holy shit. Footbag is going to be so easy for you lol.

Keep it up, dude.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 27 Jun 2015 04:39

Thanks dude! I agree that the first link screams my name, hahaha. I was def thinking about getting a pair of those levi shoes. It would be cool if i instantly leveled up, but i think it would take a little while to get used to new shoes. I do have to say though, that the heavy lavers have not taken the joy out of playing. If anything, it has helped me apreciate the basics even more.

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 29 Jun 2015 07:26

NYFA played saturday (Rain day) at this place called Pier 2 in Dumbo Brooklyn. It is a sports pier, with basketball, roller hockey, and hand ball. It is also, for the most part, covered from the rain. We played in the kid area that had a painted four square, hopscotch, and a few benches. Bijan, Mikie, Drew, Bruce, Johnny Breakdown, Greg, and myself played!

I loved the vibe of this place. It was very recreational sporty. That energy def helped me get into a good head space/ shred zone. Our spot was right next to deaf basketball, which was interesting to experience. I mostly played with an Ivan 92 panel. Despite being mildly sick, I had an awesome session!

Highlights:
-Super YO GYBAS (the dyno is symple)
-pixie same whirl (First in heavy shoes)
-atomic muted same whirl
-nuclear same leg (New)
-whirlygig (New!!!!)
-symp drifter from same toe (New!!, i tried after mikie hit it)
-zoided symp reverse whirl > hand catch > same trick
-symp rev-up from toe (felt easy!)
-stepping same leg > pixie same clipper > stepping same osis
-atomic muted same flying toe ducking mirage
-flip blurry whirl (first try)
-Some awesome runs!

Stuff i want to try:
-fairy swirl bail monster (Fairy same rotor)
-Stepping far symple swirl (Swifter but not)

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 17 Jul 2015 14:00

Double posts of our lives...

1) I had a solo sesh yesterday at the beach. A guy that is interested in footbag that i have played with a couple of times with Chris randomly works there. Cool, but he couldn't kick because he had hip surgery. He said maybe in a month he will get back into it. His name's Cody. These two 12 year old kids and one of the kid's dad were super interested. The kids played soccer and knew about freestyle soccer. The dad left and I finished my session with the kids. They both could stall already. One of the kids was trying switch over and they were both trying around the world. They seemed pretty hooked. Hopefully they will tell the rest of their soccer team about footbag. I got them to remember that it was called footbag as well.

2) Arts Fest write up go...
I left right after work on friday leaving at 3pm. I live on Long Island, about an hour away from NYC and was hoping to miss some of the traffic. It was all good until i hit the George Washington Bridge. 2 hours of traffic later i got off the bridge. I was happy to be moving again until i hit I-90 i think. An hour more of traffic later i finally hit that open road. Hahaha. I was supposed to get to Pennsylvania at 7:30 but got there at 11. Im thinking that everyone is just going to chill at the shred house but they all wanted to play footbag. After getting to the parking garage, and asking all these drunk college kids how to get to the garage, doing a bunch of loops around the town with one ways, closed streets, etc. I finally park! I realize that everything up to now in this post sounds negative. However, i wasn't bothered by the driving/parking, and was just happy to be meeting up to play some bag.

We played at the IST or IFT building. Cant remeber them letters. The spot was in the middle of a giant, expansive, outside but covered corridor. Awesome echoes in that place. The guys were blasting music and shredding it up. Remember that it was 11pm. Loud music late at night is no concern in College City. Kristof, Nick P, Kem dog, Ivan, Dan, and Ryan. The doors to the building were locked and i had to go to the bathroom/change. I was able to sprint to catch a closing door as a couple of peeps were walking out. I dropped my shred shorts running for the door though. Matt tried getting my shorts but i sprinted back, pushed matt out of the way, grabbed the shorts, and sprinted to get the door again. Fun Stuff! I had a really fun session. Ivan's game is looking tight! Kristoff hit a run with alpine blurriest BSOS and in the same run almost spanish fly BSOS. New tricks I hit were atomic muted gyro toe, and starting on toe same butterfly symposium blink. also had a 3 hard tricks for me with handcatches in the middle. I remember 2 of the tricks. Spanish fly and swivel. We all stayed up to like 3am that night.

Saturday we played at Old Greg, I mean Old Mane. Can't remember much about how i played, but there was live music and good vibes the whole time. I think i got to play with everyone except for april and ben cuz they got there late. Khoa, Marc P, Andrew, Aiden, another soccer player dude, also came. Cool seeing Marc and always love Khoa's enthusiasm. We got some chinese food after shred. Partying at the shred house that night and going on a midnight arboretum adventure had to be the highlight of this whole trip. Kristof is the bomb! Between Nick trying to explain things to him and Kristof just turning what he was learning into jokes was too much to handle. The foreign alcohol that Kristof has been forcing on us Americans was a big factor in this. Also coaching it up with the Czech man himself. On the way to the arboretum, Kristof said that he felt like a little juggalo. Hahahahahahaha. Nick's guided tour of the arboretum was awesome. The way that plant sanctuary is built (Super creative, surreal, dream like architechture, surprises, scenery changes). The sleeping bat's were cool. Big xylophone that had beautiful sustain hidden behind a wall. I could of stayed there for hours. I am super happy that i went on this excursion to the arboretum.

Sunday we played again at old main. I would not have been able to do this normally, but matt gave me some aleve. I am definately happy with how i played all three days. Hell, im happy that i was able to play hard all three days. Usually one day of footbag, and my body hates me for it. I think i hit this combo this day... atomic muted flying toe ducking butterfly. A little more chilling went down at the shred house before i left around 5. Going to miss that place. I think the shred house has been alive for 3 years. Everyone that has lived there have graduated and moved on. After i left State College, it took me 5 or 6 hours to get home to long island. What an amazing trip!

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 17 Aug 2015 07:45

NYneFA YAM happened two weekends ago and was way too much fun. We had about 30 people come to kick on saturday. Big thanks to everyone that attended. I'm not going to do a full write up but will highlight some things that i remember.

-Lost Boy? show at Shea Stadium (music venue) in brooklyn on friday night. Nick Polini getting his mosh on at the show. I was doing the strangest dances as well.

Saturday:
-Getting wrestled to try and turn off Fish Center (The dumbest game show around)
-Central park has the best vibes, so picturesque
-Played well, was able to hit a lot of my tricks
-Drew flying off the hood of a car and living to tell about it
-Being in a circle with Nick P, Kevin H., and Peter B
-Vibing off all of them peeps
-My friend Barker live streaming the event from periscope (a streaming app)
-Hitting three new tricks (toe ripstein, zoid same symple reverse whirl, blazing same flying toe) I hit spinning ducking butterfly > pswhirl
-Eating a weed cookie right after shredding
-Proceeding to loose my mind shortly after
-Guy on electric longboard blasting cheesy rock music, flying by a circle i was watching every minute. His music would fade in and out really quickly. It craked me up every time
-I kicked my wallet and all my money flew out. I think pete tried helping me pick it up but i kept throwing the money and contents around
-Dallas bbq, throwing of chicken bones
-Night of the demons two
-Hogan pouring water in my ear while sleeping
-I missed this cuz i was passed out but... Drinking contest between Chris and Christoff

Sunday:
-Chris hating christoff the next day for his hang over
-Christoff being fine
-High morning aka wake and bake aka teaching christoff more useless american sayings
-The ride over to mcarren park in brooklyn. (Nick P., Christoff, Zach, Barker, myself). Out of towners liking the shady driving, day-life of brooklyn. Seeing an open fire hydrant two blocks up. My plan was to surprise the people on the passenger side of my car by gettting them wet. Barker saw it, rolled his window up, and warned christoff. Christoff stuck his whole body out the window. He proceeded to get soaked and was very surprised by how much water. Listening to my friend Dan's really trippy hip hop music on the way there
-The epic 16 second video that christoff took of us in the car with the disco ball on the way back to bruces after shred

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 17 Aug 2015 07:58

NEW SHOES OF OUR LIVES!

I got the new, light lavers, black and white. Had my first session with them on saturday. Washington Square Park with Bruce and Barker

The only problem i found with how they played is that my toe sets were going away from me instead of straight up. I think this is a breaking in of the shoes issue. Also, instantly getting shin splints (not so bad) from the lighter shoes. It's a weird trade off. The heavy shoes didnt give me shin splints but made me slower/not play to my full potential. Light shoes give me them splints but allow me to be quick with dexterities/not hurt my ankles/body when trying harder tricks. I felt very fast and my dexes felt deeper than ever.

Having said that, i hit a bunch of harder tricks way easier with the light shoes:
-Paradox torque (In the heaving shoes this trick would kill my ankles. NO pain in light shoes)
-Deep blurriest
-barrage > double around the world > double over down
-pixie same double down (could not hit this in heavy shoes)
-spanish fly
-swivel
-mobius
-vortex
-spining whirl (Cleanest it has felt in a long time. WIth the heavy shoes this trick was a struggle)
-ducking whirl from toe
-superfly
-symp reverse whirling swirl

I hope the switch back to light lavers will slightly level me up. I just hope my leveling up can compete with shin splints

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 17 Aug 2015 13:36

Hey Boats, how're those tapes doing you? Anything fun?

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 17 Aug 2015 15:20

Eric, Time 2 Jam was amazing! i really like all the hillarios moments captured on some of them tapes. Great 90's vibes all around. I havent watched all yet. When the winter comes they will be on heavy rotation though!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 17 Aug 2015 17:43

I watched the James Risden section in that video on repeat so many times.

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 18 Aug 2015 09:03

James Risden's form is so great.

Had a 2 hour session with Chris at the beach yesterday. Chris's swirl/reverse swirl game is going to blow up. He is already better at both those tricks than i am both sides. Chris also hit blenders both sides, ripwalks, ducking clipper tricks, spinning legovers. I hope his shin splints dont prevent him from the footbager that he will become.

This is the second time i have played in the new light lavers. Still feel so much faster and dense. I played pretty well with good flow and all that. Chris said he hated me a bunch of times, so thats a good thing. I hit spinning whirl hand-catch x2 and then Maelstrum hand-catch. I hit 2 or 3 flying pixie far clippers for the first time. That would be a cool trick to hit out of a set. I also hit blender>dyno.

christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Post by christisgodlike » 18 Aug 2015 21:08

twas' a good session. Those spinning whirls are repulsive and should be illegal.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 18 Aug 2015 23:41

Great stuff to both of you! Beach sessions are always great.

boats
BSOS Beast

Post by boats » 26 Aug 2015 10:31

I have been having a lot of two man sessions lately. Chris at the Beach. I played with MIkie in brooklyn. And I just got back from Montreal and played with Ianek!

I have been wanting to check out Montreal after seeing all the cool building size mural art that people posted from worlds a couple years ago. Also, playing footbag to live drum circle is my favorite. Naturally Tam Tam Jam was a must for me.

I drove to Montreal on saturday. Ianek brought me to a Poutine place and we got some dinner. Poutine is french fries, gravy, and cheese curds. I got sausage in mines. Ianek hit me with some of his ideas for the sport, ideas for his game, and footbag in general. This guy has a lot of wisdom pertaining to footbag. I also met sebastion (Hurricane) and carro later that night.

Ianek and I are both variety players. He is obviously way better than me, but it was awesome to hear his philosophy to the way he plays. It was even more exiting to see him play the next day and incorporate his philosophy so well. Ianek is all about mixing variety tricks with harder level tricks. There is a back and forth between the variety and difficulty between almost every contact.

Tam Tam Jam was off the hook. We played at the monument at Mont Royal. This is such a historic footbag spot. I'm happy to have played there (Much like water temple = footbag history). Ianek was on fire. Everything he was talking about the night before, he was executing while playing. I was also happy with the way i played. We played for about 3.5 hours straight and then sebastien and carro played for 30 min with us. I was totally destroyed after playing. I could hardly walk cuz my hip was all messed up. Totally worth it though. We got burritos and chilled after.

A little about Montreal from a stupid guy from long island new york...
I was experiencing extreme culture shock and surreal vibes while there. Montreal to me, was a mix of park slope brooklyn with portland oregon. Everyone was speaking french and all the signs were in french. I was reading the signs/ store fronts and basically making fun of it by americanizing it into stupid words. For example... Couch Tards and Bagel Chads. The language barrier wasnt so bad cuz i could just ask people to speak in english and they would. The place was over run by hipsters and people on bikes. The street art is off the hook. I am so jealous of the people that attended worlds cuz a whole week of wandering and finding murals must of been amazing. When Ianek would talk to his girlfriend, I would just make up random sentences that kinda sounded like some of the words that they were saying/ pretend to know what they were talking about. I would interject things like... yeah, so the eskimo got a salmon after climbing the mountain with his bike.

The last full day that i was there, i wandered into the park two blocks away from Ianek. They had a public pool that was free. I lied that my shorts were a bathing suit and did some diving/ swiming.

Overall, Montreal was awesome! I am definately going to go back at some point. Any footbager should try and go there to experience Tam Tam and the culture.

I am going to florida tomorrow. I will have another two man session with Brandon Turner while there!

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 26 Aug 2015 14:29

Whoa awesome! Montreal and Tam Tam are so rad. So is Ianek. It's great that you got to have that experience :)