TMNT Have Nothing On This Shredder

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
isirc10
Fearless

Re: TMNT Have Nothing On This Shredder

Post by isirc10 » 29 Oct 2013 09:14

This is awesome! I find it interesting how we are both coming at guiltless from two different sides - I have a solid(ish) clipper game with osis and stepping and you are killing it with pixies and dlo. You can guess what I am spending my time drilling now... pixies and dlos. Keep drilling clipper. Eventually it will agree with you and you will never look back. About a year ago I thought I was going to have a shitty clipper but make up for it by having a nice toe game - right now, I bail to clipper in my runs and use it and osis to catch my breath. It's one of the best feelings when clippers become an integral part of your runs.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 29 Oct 2013 18:21

Thanks, dude! I was actually thinking the same thing, the other day, while reading your footblog. Clippers are the Devil, and I would gladly swap abilities with ya, if it were possible. Is it video time yet??

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z6og_IPLaw[/youtube]

Trying to stop sucking balls. Tips, anyone? Is my form as poopy as I think it is? That fucking left arm wave on my flip Clipper is going to be the death of me.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 29 Oct 2013 18:44

I don't know if I would want to swap - and I don't think you would either. I spent the better part of my playing career fighting clippers to the point where I can hit them with confidence, and that alone is so rewarding I would feel bad robbing you of the feeling if you just "got" my clippers. Same thing goes for me getting your pixies - I want to learn the trick, and I want to learn it in a way that I can confidently say that I own it.

In terms of form on your clippers - I saw a few things, but they weren't consistent enough to be a serious issue, just something you may want to consider as you hit more and more of them. (these were also roadblocks that I faced not too long ago so hope they help)
-stay on your toes the entire time, you should be able to slide a piece of paper under the back of your lavers throughout the entire clipper motion (Ianek R. tip from worlds) - its very tempting to rock back on them, especially when you are midstring and counting on that clipper not to fail.
-stall the clippers for a split second longer. This will show you if you really have balance issues which will creep up when you start doing osis/stepping
-hit more clipper>ss clipper in your runs. This will grow confidence and make it SOOOOO easy to go 20+ contacts titless every time you pick up the bag
-turn your upper body to face the clipper more (Gatesman/Chris D. tip from worlds) Its surprising what a few degrees of shoulder turn does for balance and control

Once again, not all of these tips apply to every clipper you did in the video, but all of them apply to at least one that I saw, be it strongside of flip. Keep at them, they are looking solid. Fun drills for you:
pixie > far clipper > ss legover RPT
pixie > muted far clipper > pdx dlo RPT (for when you feel like a badass)
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 29 Oct 2013 20:06

I've been thinking a few things:

1) We need to get Hack-Off videos going again (if you dont know what this was, check out the online competition section.. you may have to dig to the second page or bottom of the first?)

2) Hack-Off!: Derek Littlefield vs. Ivan Iakimenko

Can we make that happen?

You guys are both around the same level but with totally different styles. I think it would be an awesome event.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 29 Oct 2013 20:17

Yeah, that is very true. Dig your mentality towards the game.

All form problems with my Clipper are a serious issue to me. Ha. Happen to come up with any tricks that'll help keep ya on ya toes for Clipper? I feel like I always rock back onto my heels when it comes to those fuckers. I probably have some balance issues, so I'll be sure to try that. Guess I should start freezing 'em again. I need to start writing that on my arm or something, cause I really want Clipper >ss Clipper all day in my runs, just a weenie about droppin' at times. Ugh, I've been trying to fix my shoulders for ages, time to ghost the form a lot more.

THANK YOU, good sir!

For the drills, did you mean:
Pixie far Clipper >ss Leg-over repeat?

Not too sure when I'll be trying Paradox DLO again, but I will definitley keep that in mind.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 29 Oct 2013 20:19

Nick: Haven't seen the hack-off's, I'll have to give 'em a peep. Ugh, more filming? I mean, I am down, I guess.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 29 Oct 2013 20:25

So you just film yourself doing a set amount of runs, all at once, and then it get's judged?
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 29 Oct 2013 20:29

Derek wrote: For the drills, did you mean:
Pixie far Clipper >ss Leg-over repeat?
Yeah, that's what I meant. Pdx DLO is so much fun once you get a clipper you can trust. So is pdx egg (both of these tricks should be reason enough for you to hunker down and let your clipper know who is boss).

When I drill clipper, I like to focus on one element (whichever one I am doing wrong). If it's not going back on my heels, then I just practice that, and don't really care if I drop as long as I don't rock back. Eventually, the motion becomes more natural and I hit more and more clippers without rocking back and then I correct another element (bending at the support knee, or turning shoulders, or relaxing your arms... It takes a long time, but is very methodical and works well for me.

I would be down for some hack offs. Gonna have to bring out my blurriest>blurriest for this one :twisted: JK, not yet.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 29 Oct 2013 20:57

That shall be a drill I use. I way dig Paradox DLO, I just get WAY hunchy when I do them. It's weird, Bubbabeater is easier for me than Clipper set DLO, but it's opposite when it comes to Paradox. Plus, I am trying to avoid any 4's at the moment. Seems like Clippers are about to take over my life, for the time being, cause I have problems with all of that shizz. Sounds like a plan, then. Just, can it wait till like Thanksgiving? Still trying to get over my camera shy-ness, as well as staying focused on Clippers. And, I'd definitely bust out the all them toes for something like that. Still kind of unsure how this is supposed to be done, also. I guess we come up with a lot of the guidelines, but I don't even know what lines to guide.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 30 Oct 2013 16:29

i really enjoy watching your game because you don't rely on clippers.

tomatoe-tomahtoe.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 30 Oct 2013 21:42

Derek wrote:Happen to come up with any tricks that'll help keep ya on ya toes for Clipper?
Hurt yourself if you notice you're on your heels. That'll fix it :P

Jk... but that COULD work. My teacher always told me to pretend I would get shocked if I had both feet on the floor during mirage.. this could work with your clippers too. Convince yourself that you will he shocked if the flat of your foot touches the ground. That actually might help you a bunch.

I wanna see you learn Fairy soon. I think once you learned that, your game will have a really spicey kick to it that that will be a lot of fun to watch. I also think you would enjoy the links you could mess with.

Definitely keep working on clippers though..I'm almost reluctant to say that though, because I really enjoy how your game doesn't have a lot of clippers in it. Its refreshing in an odd way. I mentioned him to you before, but you're becoming this new generation's Chris Pinkus and I really liked watching him play.

But your game would look cool with more clipper tricks in it too.

That's the beauty of it.. its freestyle. No rules! Foot Anarchy! Do what you want, practice what you want, form your style however you please. I'm excited to see you get good
Nick Polini

Funblog

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 04 Nov 2013 10:04

Nice video! I enjoyed your style a lot.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 21 Nov 2013 23:59

Thanks Kevin, fudge 'dem Clippers. You make me wanna amp up my toes.

Clippers, I hit that shit now. I think I'm done focusing on Clippers, they are on a decent level now, and my toe game has slipped up cause of it. That's not my style. Paradox shizz is easy, (Clipper set) DLO and Egg are way do-able mid-string, but Butter is only reliable set from toe. Ducking isn't that bad either. Once my toes are back on par, I shall be fucking shit up. Working on getting my strings long and dense, at least for me. I think I have a problem with hitting everything BSOS. As soon as I hit something on one side, my main focus is to work it on the other(like if I hit Egg on flip, I feel the need to hit on strong within a couple contacts), which leads to much more drops. Gotta get somewhat out of that mindset. I need to just go with the flow more, when it actually happens, my runs feel superb. Stanford has been baller to the extreme, hopefully I can keep up with showing up. Alex said one of the dopest things I could ever imagine a couple sessions ago. He said,"I'm jealous of your flip Pixie". Me? :) It's crazy how playing with some supreme players can push you beyond your limits. Steve is the man. I fucking love that pizza.

Nick, when I roll back on my heels, I actually punch my thighs. Both sides. Mainly to keep them loose, but also, to show my legs who's boss. Symp Egg is a goal for me next year, maybe. BAM.

Janis, I'm honored and thankful. Means a lot.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 02 Dec 2013 13:39

Fudge the rest, Stanford is the best :twisted:

Probably not going to be updating this nearly as much, not into seeing such little progression between posts. I'm done playing every other day, time to step my game up and play everyday. Or, at least 7 hours a week. Sick of being on the cusp of Guiltless. I could care less about busting only Guiltless shizz, I'm just ready to actually bust shizz. Consistency and string length is my main concern. I feel obligated to get better, not only cause that's what I desire, but to also show respect to the Stanford crew.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 04 Dec 2013 11:48

yeah dude.. yeah. do it. DRILLDRILLDRILLDRILLKILLDRILLDRILL
Nick Polini

Funblog

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 04 Dec 2013 13:22

Hell yeah man, stanford crew is very proud of how far you have come. pushed me to get my dlos solid and work my toes a little more. Keep on drillin'!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 13 Jan 2014 12:10

brianbear wrote:Hell yeah man, stanford crew is very proud of how far you have come. pushed me to get my dlos solid and work my toes a little more. Keep on drillin'!
Ohhh, yes. Stanford reppin' 8)

I can and will break the video record for ss DLO, just gotta find a camera to borrow. And, I should be able to break the video record for ss Smear. Of course, only as long as Ken, or anyone else doesn't break them in the meantime. Please, don't.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Kljopa
Post Master General

Post by Kljopa » 13 Jan 2014 14:50

I love the name of your blog! :D

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 05 Mar 2014 07:31

I'll be in Sacramento from Sunday til next Friday. I don't know where you are in Woodland, but that doesn't look too far. Want to meet up for a shred?
Derek wrote: I can and will break the video record for ss DLO, just gotta find a camera to borrow. And, I should be able to break the video record for ss Smear. Of course, only as long as Ken, or anyone else doesn't break them in the meantime. Please, don't.
I can bring my camera and we can go for some attempts to break both of these records.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 06 Mar 2014 17:13

Kljopa: Thanks, you are awesome for noticing!

Ken: It's not far at all and I really wish I could, but I'm in South Lake Tahoe at the moment, and shall be for a while. Bad timing, darn. Thank ya for the offer, woulda been cool to push for the record head-to-head.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield