Cass shreds - USO 2023

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: Feminine Freestyle ---

Post by Kylescook » 13 Feb 2015 05:18

Cass wrote: Some recent personal records:

Guay x44
PLO x19
Ducking Clipper x19
Ducking Clip>Spinning Clip rpt. 11 contacts

<3
These are great highlights!
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 15 Feb 2015 11:24

Thanks Kyle!

Friday evening I arrived at Bahen half an hour late after fighting rush hour traffic downtown. Adam greeted me and we geared up for shred!!

Adam and I had a really enjoyable two man shred while we waited for the others to arrive. We were both totally on point and it was so fun kicking with him!! I think one of the most notable things for me was that I didn’t miss any blenders. They were feeling really good.

Eventually Alex, Zach and his wife Helen arrived! This was good because I would be dead soon from playing one on one with Adam.

Both Alex and Zach have improved noticeably! Alex is getting much more smooth with his style and Zach had a lot of really dense runs! Really fun session!

After shred I went with Adam to get some Indian roti for dinner. This was a new food thing for me. I got a lamb and veggie curry one. It really hit the spot! Especially after having a bit of a wait for the food. Adam is fun to hang out with. Always interesting things to chat about.

From there we headed to Camille’s place for her 30th birthday party! Her apartment isn’t that big and it turns out she’s pretty popular :P It was just slammed with people. Part of the reason I almost bailed on shred Friday evening was because I knew I would be more tired and have difficulty socializing as a result (whatevs, the shred was totally worth it). All Camille’s friends are really friendly so that is a plus. Erik and Laura came out and so did Johnny! It’s always great to see footbag friends even if we don’t shred together! Most of the active Ontario players were at Camille’s place so that was really great!

I helped Alex polish off a huge bottle of wine (he didn't need much help ;) ) and also had some tequila and several jello shots. My first time drinking in ages! Lots of good jamming and chilling but about 200% too many people for my comfort levels.

Johnny was talking about OM festival which takes place during summer solstice (June 15-21) in southern Ontario. I’ve heard great things about this festival from a lot of really cool people. I’m strongly considering changing my travel plans to make it to this because I know it’s going to be incredible and also super inexpensive compared to USO. It will be a great way to meet more like minded people that are in my area as well. It’s starting to hurt too much to always travel so far to meet the best people. And if Johnny and other Ontario footbaggers make it then it will be all the more epic.

http://omreunionproject.org/

Saturday morning was really chill and enjoyable. I woke up way before everyone and did some yoga. Camille had so many cakes given to her! We ate cake and coffee for breakfast haha. So much sugar. Camille’s friends JR and Christina (who hosted us after worlds 2013 - amazing bonfire, best night ever) came down from Montreal. It was really nice to hang out with them a bit.

Alex and I were the sole single footbag players so we had a Valentines day shred!! This totally made my weekend. We headed back to Bahen and tore it up!! He was in a better mood than the evening before and we had a really good session. He broke his Osis record and hit a bunch of other stuff I’ve never seen him do. It was great shred from both of us. Hungover with just enough cake in our bellies :P

Flipside Blurry Drifter second try
Ducking Butter x4
Infinity Swirl bs
this is unexpectedly easy now!
Pixie muted Dragon Swirl
Many long, controlled runs

By the end we had absolutely nothing left in our tanks. I hate always being the one to suggest sushi so I was really happy when Alex suggested it instead!! :P

We went to the nearby place on College that apparently only single people frequent on V-day. It was fitting. Mmmmm sushi! So good. I love chatting with Alex! We always have great conversations.

After that we parted ways. I was soooo tired yesterday! Slept 12 hours last night, got up this morning and did two hot yoga classes b2b!! So good.

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 20 Feb 2015 04:45

Yesterday was the end of my 30 days of hot yoga. When I got home I cried the way I do at the end of a great footbag event. I never imagined it could have such an incredibly positive influence on my life. In the past 5 days I have done six hot yoga classes, played footbag twice, and done yoga three times by myself. I definitely need a break from hot yoga because I’ve been pushing my limits a lot (in a good way). It’s going to be really challenging to stay away from that place though. The positive energy there is stunning.

My back has felt good enough lately to get back into hooping a little. I’ve had a few practice sessions in the past week which have been great fun. The days are getting longer which has only served to heighten my desire to play outside. Unfortunately it’s still cold af.

I ordered my new travel hoop! It’s going to be a nice small one that comes into three peices so I that I can take it to worlds with me. Really excited for that.

Life continues to be super busy but I am feeling healthy and have been doing well to keep up I think. Making progress every day.

My two footbag sessions this week were really good. My shred has been very routine oriented lately since I have this performance coming up. I’m feeling pretty confident about it but I definitely need to practice presenting this weekend.

Ducking Clip > Ducking Osis rpt. 13 contacts

Aside from PSU jam and worlds my travel plans for this summer are pretty up in the air since no other North American events have really been confirmed. I’m excited for the possibilities though since I have some cash to play with. Yoga retreats are really tempting as well. It would be a refreshing change to go on a vacation oriented around self care rather than beating yourself up :P

Exciting to get into training mode and start having longer, more consistent practice sessions!

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 21 Feb 2015 12:21

I played footbag today. Here are some things I hit.

Dedicated to Kevin Crowly. Thanks for the inspiration.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgMFEA11 ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

<3

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 22 Feb 2015 09:48

Drifter to ripstein was surprising great job.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 22 Feb 2015 18:48

form looks good phat stuff homie. 44 guays is about 4 times my record, nice work.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 22 Feb 2015 20:20

Good stuff, Cass. Looking forward to kicking with you next month!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 23 Feb 2015 06:59

Yeah, killer stuff in that vid. Nice ripsteins, and, Dragon-Whirl > Twirl bs? That was sweet!
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 26 Feb 2015 16:55

So many nice comments!! Thanks everyone! :D

This morning I had a short shred session before my yoga class at school. I didn’t have a whole lot of time and a friend of my arrived early for yoga so I decided to show her my routine. It’s good to try it in front of an audience. My first try was my best run through yet for this song! Only one drop. I did a second run through with only two drops. It’s a relief that this routine is coming together since the halftime show is a week from Saturday!

Before yoga I was in the change room and met up with another friend of mine, Steph. I told her I would meet her in class since I just played footbag and had to wash the funk off my feet. She responded “I had assumed you were footbagging because you look really happy and you are usually happy after you play.” The was the best moment of my day. I totally was happy but it took her pointing it out for me to really appreciate that fact and it just made me even more happy! I’m so grateful to have something (multiple things, actually) in my life that is capable of affording such good feelings.

After a good deal of reflection I decided to continue going to hot yoga. My life is really busy and stressful right now and yoga helps so much to bring me a sense of calm. Initially I was worried it would detract from my energy footbag training but now that I am getting more used to it I don’t think that practicing both is out of the question. Yesterday I shredded for just under and hour and then went to a particularly difficult core class. It was super intense and the first time I’ve genuinely felt anger during yoga. I was furious at the instructor for exposing my weaknesses and angry at myself for being weak. It was actually really liberating to release that negativity and I felt great afterwards.

I went to a psy trance event last weekend and it was my first real opportunity to rock out with my LED hoop. The venue was kind of a dingy basement and my hoop was the brightest thing in the place. It looked sooo cool! I’m getting to a point now where I can dance in time to the music while hooping which is just so fun. I am so ready for summer.

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 27 Feb 2015 11:54

I always seem to have the strangest interactions with conventionally attractive alpha males. Usually, they become confused when I don’t fall all over them and proceed to question my sexual orientation or gender [often in the most awkward possibly way].

Today I kicked a little and I was in between runs, just doing floppy stalls back to back. Guy coming up the stairs towards me says “I see you all the time, you’ve been doing that since September haven’t you?”

"I’ve been doing this for eight years”

*Bro walks up and snatches bag in mid air, in between toe stalls.*

Starts asking me if I can juggle and I reply, more politely than I probably should have. I demonstrate 3 bag with my feet a little.

“Oh.. well if they were 100lbs I could probably lift them.”
I’m totally baffled by this statement. That’s a new one. At this point I’m like “yeah this is a real sport I’m actually training (hint hint please leave).”

Luckily he got the message. He seemed surprised that I wasn’t stoked to talk to him after he so rudely ended my run.

So that was interesting. It threw off my session a little but I still had fun kicking. Another person with a less inflated ego approached me after and that was a more positive interaction.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 03 Mar 2015 16:17

That statement is so stupid it hurts my head.

Very impressed by the latest video you posted, props for that!

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 05 Mar 2015 16:14

Thanks Janis!

I should be working on my thesis right now but my brain is on footbag!

Today I got a $1500 scholarship from school out of nowhere! Hell yeah.

Bought my USO flights! So stoked that I can make it again.

Still planning for NOLA if it happens with Cali tacked on that trip.

Not to mention worlds.

This summer is going to be so god damn legendary.

I’ve been practicing a routine A LOT because I’m doing that halftime show THIS SATURDAY. I’m a little frustrated that I haven’t gotten it dropless but I have had lots of good 1 drop runs. I’m pleased that I will have a routine all ready for USO (and worlds if I don’t decide to make another one) so there’s no stressin’ later. I think the choreo is pretty decent and I know the song and my cues really well so I’m feeling confident. The part I’m worried about is talking about footbag and the demo stuff before I do the routine. I just have to be confident though and it will be great! I should practice the talking part though..

I’ve been shredding nearly every day but it’s pretty much been exclusively routine practice. It’s good because I've been solidifying my basics and improving my endurance. I’m definitely looking forward to not having to worry about routines for a while and getting back to schooling ripstein and spinning and whatnot.

Still enjoying lots of yoga.

School is crushing me. The things keep piling on. Just gotta keep going…

Leaving for Denver two weeks from Sunday. Excited and nervous. It’s an important (possibly career defining) trip.

Big things ahead. Everything is gonna be alright.

<3

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 06 Mar 2015 00:10

Sounds like you are killing it a life!

Good luck with the routine and Denver.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 07 Mar 2015 17:15

Thanks Asmus! I am killing it lately!

Yesterday I went to a 40Hz event in Toronto. Johnny Suderman showed up! I wasn’t expecting him so it was a really freakin pleasant surprise. Always so good to see him. I found out that not only does he read my blog but it’s basically the only reason he visits modified. I melted in a puddle.

I got two hours sleep, went to yoga this morning, had a bath, and slept two more hours before getting ready for the halftime show. I practiced what I would say and ended up realising that I didn’t have that much time to talk so I figured out how to make it concise. I said lots of positive things to myself about how well it was going to go and how confident I would be. I didn’t allow myself to get nervous. I practiced my routine a single time and got a single drop.

My mom, dad, and step-dad came to watch! It’s the first time they’ve seen me in action really.

I wrote a dope intro for myself that they guy announced.

The demo went well with one little drop in there. I got DATW first try which was a crowd pleaser. I was calm and confident and I think I did a good job talking about the sport.

The routine started and it was so cool to hear my music on a big system. I started off really strong and got over halfway dropless. I ended up with three drops: one on a rake and I messed up both pinchers. Got my last trick though! My timing and everything was good.

People seemed impressed and I got lots of nice compliments. The best part was when two basketball players commented about my performance and said they used to kick/are going to go home and practice now. That made this whole thing so fucking worth it.

Going to Toronto to shred with Dante tomorrow :D

<3

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 09 Mar 2015 04:42

This blog is all positive feelings and great stuff. Keep up the hard work.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 09 Mar 2015 05:08

Thanks Kyle! I try to keep is positive. You attract the kind of energy that you project.

Yesterday I woke up feeling kinda off and missed yoga. I blame daylight savings :P

I wasn’t that stoked about driving to Toronto for the second time this weekend but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to shred with Dante. Especially considering it didn’t look like anyone else would show up.

I arrived at 2 and greeted Dante at Bahen. We got down to some shred one on one which was fun. I think I had a few alright runs near the beginning but my headache and lack of energy held me back a little. It’s always a pleasure to play with Dante. His form is so nice!

After about 20 minutes Adam arrived! I was super relieved since I was gonna die soon from a two person circle. It was a fun session but didn’t last super long, maybe an hour and a half.

Just as we were packing up Erik appeared unexpectedly! He was looking quite dapper. I was really happy that FAT came through for Dante. Erik couldn’t shred due to problems with his achilles but he joined us for a bite to eat after the session.

The four of us went to a pub nearby for after shred hangouts. I was feeling pretty drained from a really busy weekend by this point but it’s always great to hang with cool footbag players.

I have so much to do this week! I suppose I should get to work. I think I will be taking a few days off shred to rest and heal up before I get back to training.

<3

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 09 Mar 2015 05:18

Cass wrote:Thanks Kyle! I try to keep is positive. You attract the kind of energy that you project.
Completely agree!
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 11 Mar 2015 21:53

I am always so jealous of what I read of the FAT sessions. Once the pieces fall into place, April and I would love to join you peeps! I can't can't can't wait to see you in a month! I'll have to either freeze myself until then or ask Ivan, politely, to make a time machine... I've seen him do it.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 11 Mar 2015 23:39

Haven't kicked with greenwood in probably 9 years. He's hilarious! Last time I kicked with him was ShrEdmonton 2006. Erik is awesome too. Would love to see him soon. Seems like you're doing great!
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 12 Mar 2015 02:08

Ben. Yes. FAT is great. We would absolutely LOVE to have you! I can't say how much longer I will be in the area, however. Very much looking forward to shredding with you at PSU! I don't think we really played together at NYJ so we are definitely past due.

Kevin. Yes. Greenwood and Chan are both supreme bosses. I'm very blessed to have them in my life. I am doing quite well, thanks. I'm definitely past due for a real footbag event though! One more month.

I was feeling pretty sore from the FAT sesh Sunday and I'm also just very busy right now so I haven't kicked since then. I also took a some days off yoga this week and actually gave my body a rest. I really needed that. Back to it this weekend! My thesis should be in by then which will be a massive weight off.

<3